Fanta: St. John's Hiring Rick Pitino | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Fanta: St. John's Hiring Rick Pitino

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm confused. If they weren't getting paid, how could they have been employed?
I'm guessing you don't remember the incident in Pittsburgh that eventually led to Jarvis' dismissal (not quite two decades ago).

A few players went to a strip joint after getting blown out at Pitt. At closing, they brought one of the dancers back to their hotel to perform (allegedly) certain favors for pay. Afterward they stiffed her (pun partially intended) which led to it becoming a public incident.

Say what you want about Pitino but I'll wager heavily that when his players use hookers the hookers get paid.

Reaction Score
I just heard a rumor that Repole gave Pitino a piece of Forte as a signing bonus. I hope it's true, get some Big East flair in Kentucky's backyard.
If true.. The Repole-Pitino St Johns NIL collaboration has legs

• Haha
Reactions: THC

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Of course I remember the incident. Fishy -- the old Fishy, who wrote some funny stuff before having kids wore him down -- had a Boneyard post that I consider second best ever behind the Makers Mark rant. Something like "The "It wasn't , she was just a hooker that we didn't pay" defense might work in a court of law but is relatively useless in convincing the President of a Catholic University that everyone involved didn't give the university a black eye."
I still stand by my belief that Pitino pays his hookers.

Reaction Score

* Pitino said Tuesday he thought his players “love” playing for him, but that it takes a certain type. “He’s got to be total, over-the-top in love with the game of basketball. And if you’re not, it’s just a bad fit with me. It doesn’t work,” he said. “So there will be a lot of players who, I hope, will move on to greener pastures.”

*He added that Red Storm center Joel Soriano is “the type of person that (he wants) to build around.” “I have to meet some of the other young men, but there will be other guys that don’t fit — it’ll be a round peg in a square hole. It won’t work.”

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
actually, a round peg will fit in a square hole. It’s the other way around that doesn’t work.
Was he dumb when he said it or was he already giving code for paid hookers?

That could be the way!

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
actually, a round peg will fit in a square hole. It’s the other way around that doesn’t work.
Depends on the circumference.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Depends on the circumference.
True, but I think this is the image they are talking about:

1679429166978.png

Of course, I suppose it’s equally possible that he was talking about this:

80FE2A69-0D1E-4D41-9CE9-ADCFDAA86542.gif

But if you’re talking about a circle, whose diameter is the same measurement as the width of a square, the circle will fit in the squares hole, but the square won’t fit in the circles hole

Reaction Score
the tweets are pure gold. just his gaze makes one feel the need to take a shower. "...doing things the right way.." I guess they mean Pitino wins and SJU does things the right way. or used to.

Reaction Score

* Pitino said Tuesday he thought his players “love” playing for him, but that it takes a certain type. “He’s got to be total, over-the-top in love with the game of basketball. And if you’re not, it’s just a bad fit with me. It doesn’t work,” he said. “So there will be a lot of players who, I hope, will move on to greener pastures.”

*He added that Red Storm center Joel Soriano is “the type of person that (he wants) to build around.” “I have to meet some of the other young men, but there will be other guys that don’t fit — it’ll be a round peg in a square hole. It won’t work.”

I'll take Posh and/or Stor if they are interested.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

It almost never ends well for a coach when he starts with a premise that he has to clean house.

A good coach could tick up the 3 point shooting a few percentage points with St. Johns current guards with better mechanics and especially better shot selection. I thought St. Johns had a decent roster, just needed more organization and energy.

An old coach can't come out of the gate with a bad season because everyone will know he doesn't have the time to turn it around and it will become a death spiral. That is basically what happened to Mike Anderson.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
It almost never ends well for a coach when he starts with a premise that he has to clean house.

A good coach could tick up the 3 point shooting a few percentage points with St. Johns current guards with better mechanics and especially better shot selection. I thought St. Johns had a decent roster, just needed more organization and energy.

An old coach can't come out of the gate with a bad season because everyone will know he doesn't have the time to turn it around and it will become a death spiral. That is basically what happened to Mike Anderson.
Or reliance on a rich person opening their wallet. Death spiral and personal conflicts abound. I'll actually be surprised if 70yo Pitino & SJU pull this out.

Reaction Score
I'll take Posh and/or Stor if they are interested.
It depends who is staying and who is leaving UConn after this season. Posh is my favorite non-UConn player, but if Tristen Newton is coming back, and with Castle being at UConn next year, I am not sure there is a place for Posh.

AJ Storr, on the other hand, "jump aboard the Husky train".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom