Fall non-UConn recruiting thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Fall non-UConn recruiting thread

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Ayers visited LSU. Did she see that beat down on the football field?

Reaction Score
Football and culture the surrounding it is actually a selling point for some in Power 5 schools. Especially at it relates to engagement of the fans. I doubt they care so much about who wins or lose but what kind of environment they can experience as a fan can definitely play a part.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC!

Sorry, it just spills out. :oops:
So, therefore, the phonetic collective is pronounced SEKS, right?

Should we take that to mean that this matters more to some recruits than basketball, education and NIL funds? :eek:

Now, I can understand why some TN fans would like to talk about pigskin hurling games. It diverts attention from the rather
astonishingly short half life of a Tennessee athletic director.

How many have they had in the past decade? Hint: >4<6

Check out their record in the mighty southeastern club.

4A2477FD-0152-45BE-A751-73F748675A6E.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Purdue gets another commit from Mary Ashley Groot (#65 in 2023). She is their 5th 2023 commit and 2nd top 100

Happy for Mary Ashley. She is the grandchild and grandchild of great Gamecock alums.

Reaction Score
Football and culture the surrounding it is actually a selling point for some in Power 5 schools. Especially at it relates to engagement of the fans. I doubt they care so much about who wins or lose but what kind of environment they can experience as a fan can definitely play a part.

Can't relate to this much as a Stanford fan, but I have heard of other schools using this as a selling point for schools that consistently win. Football at some schools is relevant to recruits of other sports because that is how most of them spend their weekends waiting for the season to start. Some players actually care about the other activities available on campus outside of being a basketball player. Otherwise, those recruits would not attend those football games on their visits lol.

Reaction Score
Can't relate to this much as a Stanford fan, but I have heard of other schools using this as a selling point for schools that consistently win. Football at some schools is relevant to recruits of other sports because that is how most of them spend their weekends waiting for the season to start. Some players actually care about the other activities available on campus outside of being a basketball player. Otherwise, those recruits would not attend those football games on their visits lol.
Even with the schools in the SEC that are not very good the football game weekends are normally a very big event. I’ve been to some Big Ten and ACC schools on their football weekends and it appears to be a similar experience. It may be just my limited experience but most of the big football atmospheres are in locations with limited pro sports competing for fans.
In grad school I worked for the athletic department and most recruits from all sports would be brought in during big football weekends as there was a large selection of “youth related activities” for them to attend such as fraternity parties or concerts that coincided with the weekends. Recruits and their families would visit the academic departments and athletic facilities on Friday and be taken around to the different tailgates before the game on Saturday. They would then go to the game but often the non football recruits would not stay the entire game. The players take out the recruits on Friday and Saturday nights.
Mississippi State along with some of the other SEC schools have big baseball followings. It is not unusual to have 8,00 to 10,000 attend the Friday, Saturday and Sunday weekend series with many more family members in town but not attending the games. There are tailgates and other collateral events for that. The biggest weekend will have a football spring game in addition to the baseball series. MSU will also have fall squad scrimmages during football weekends that draw a lot of fans.
We had some recruiting weekends after football season during a big basketball game weekend but it really doesn’t compare to the massive weekend long numbers of the other two time periods. Even during the heights of our men’s and women’s programs we would sell out the coliseum but depending on the time of the game a majority of the fans would drive in and drive out the same day.

Reaction Score
Even with the schools in the SEC that are not very good the football game weekends are normally a very big event. I’ve been to some Big Ten and ACC schools on their football weekends and it appears to be a similar experience. It may be just my limited experience but most of the big football atmospheres are in locations with limited pro sports competing for fans.
In grad school I worked for the athletic department and most recruits from all sports would be brought in during big football weekends as there was a large selection of “youth related activities” for them to attend such as fraternity parties or concerts that coincided with the weekends. Recruits and their families would visit the academic departments and athletic facilities on Friday and be taken around to the different tailgates before the game on Saturday. They would then go to the game but often the non football recruits would not stay the entire game. The players take out the recruits on Friday and Saturday nights.
Mississippi State along with some of the other SEC schools have big baseball followings. It is not unusual to have 8,00 to 10,000 attend the Friday, Saturday and Sunday weekend series with many more family members in town but not attending the games. There are tailgates and other collateral events for that. The biggest weekend will have a football spring game in addition to the baseball series. MSU will also have fall squad scrimmages during football weekends that draw a lot of fans.
We had some recruiting weekends after football season during a big basketball game weekend but it really doesn’t compare to the massive weekend long numbers of the other two time periods. Even during the heights of our men’s and women’s programs we would sell out the coliseum but depending on the time of the game a majority of the fans would drive in and drive out the same day.
You described Super Bulldog Weekend there and it was always a good time when I attended.

Reaction Score

Purdue gets another commit from Mary Ashley Groot (#65 in 2023). She is their 5th 2023 commit and 2nd top 100

I watched her play at Dalton (I live literally a stone's throw away). Not much competition in her league. She's made a good choice in schools.

Reaction Score
My goodness UW is raking in the guards. That's 7 in '22 and '23 classes.

edit--6 of them have been in Hoopgurlz Top 100; certainly upping the talent level, but I'm wondering how many of them can actually fit in the rotation

It looks like you have fun times ahead in Seattle!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It's scary times indeed when you've lost five straight to the mighty Cougars.
Do I really have to count the one the Dawgs gave away by shooting about 10% on their FTs in an overtime game?

edit--only slightly exaggerating; they were 6-21 for 28.6%, it's really not even possible to shoot that poorly on freebies, but somehow they did it

Reaction Score
Do I really have to count the one the Dawgs gave away by shooting about 10% on their FTs in an overtime game?

edit--only slightly exaggerating; they were 6-21 for 28.6%, it's really not even possible to shoot that poorly on freebies, but somehow they did it

Perhaps they should've asked if they could shoot their free throws from behind the arc, as they went 6-14 from three. The same number of free throws that they sunk that game.

Reaction Score

Ari Long to Washington (#49 in 2023), their 3rd top 100 commit

Wow! What a luxury to have this problem!

I do recall Long saying she might prefer to leave home for college but I still figured USC might have the inside track b/c of how crowded UW was at guard.

There's a lot of buzz about Sellers being the first McD's AA from Alaska. I would imagine she is the only "sure" starter for the West Coast Huskies?

Olivia Anderson 6'6" gives them size, but despite some high rankings, her list of offers was sparse with elite programs so they're probably going to still be needing posts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom