triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Oluchi Okananwa #27 to Duke!!!!!

giphy.gif

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I don't have that one in my files. That's one is a @Plebe special.

Hey hey hey. Not greedy, just trying to build up our roster. :cool:
From Okananwa's announcement:

“Coach (Kara) Lawson is building an empire there, and I needed to be part of it,” said Okananwa, who thanked her family and two older brothers for all their help along the way. “I’ve been speaking with Duke for a long time, and education was a big part of why I decided to go there. In the end it came down to Duke, Michigan, and Mississippi State. I loved everything about Duke when I went there and saw how their players work together."

Last edited:
Reaction Score

“Coach (Kara) Lawson is building an empire there, and I needed to be part of it,” said Okananwa, who thanked her family and two older brothers for all their help along the way. “I’ve been speaking with Duke for a long time, and education was a big part of why I decided to go there. In the end it came down to Duke, Michigan, and Mississippi State. I loved everything about Duke when I went there and saw how their players work together."

Empire?? She has proven she can recruit. That's about it so far. We shall see what this year brings.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

An empire? Maybe she was cautioned not to use the word dynasty when it comes to Duke.

Reaction Score
Tennessee should’ve hired Kara! Y’all need a coach with command presence and a good recruiter. Tennessee missed the mark. Kara is out recruiting Kelli, hell almost everyone is…. I believe Kara would/could make Tennessee relevant again.
Sadly, you're probably right. I can't comment on Kara's coaching acumen, but she has shown she can recruit. Kellie can't recruit and she hasn't established herself as a particularly good sideline coach either. I'm not a fan of relying just on the portal, because it assumes that 1.) there will be players like Rickea Jackson or Angel Reese every year and 2.) a lot of other schools will be going for those prized pieces. Just because Tennessee struck gold this year doesn't mean it will be a recurring theme. Portal can be great for picking up pieces, but Tennessee loses their 3 best players after this season and doesn't have a centerpiece in sight to replace them (either on the team or incoming recruit). Relying on the portal to fill that gap is kind of like my lottery ticket strategy. Might happen, but probably won't...

Reaction Score
Well… the big announcement from Oregon today was not a new high value recruit or transfer but that Sabrina Ionesco is joining the staff. Big news certainly and wonderful for the culture but this short handed roster is concerning. Now down to nine with Basham out for “several weeks” (knee). Only 3 front court players healthy: the others are all 5’11” or shorter. Ouch. Small ball anyone?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Well… the big announcement from Oregon today was not a new high value recruit or transfer but that Sabrina Ionesco is joining the staff. Big news certainly and wonderful for the culture but this short handed roster is concerning. Now down to nine with Basham out for “several weeks” (knee). Only 3 front court players healthy: the others are all 5’11” or shorter. Ouch. Small ball anyone?
Director of Athletic Culture. I didn't know such a thing existed. I have to ask what is that exactly?

Reaction Score
Director of Athletic Culture. I didn't know such a thing existed. I have to ask what is that exactly?
Does it matter? :)
technically kind of a player advocate and go between with staff. I’m guessing it will be scrimmaging and coaching as well. Since she was and is the ultimate gym rat/hard worker I imagine inspiring that approach to the team is a big part of it.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Her bio on Oregon's web site says a little about the job. It's part-time.
In her role, Ionescu will help with the development of student-athletes and cultivate Graves’ five pillars of Oregon women’s basketball: passion, integrity, unity, thankfulness and servanthood. Additionally, she will be a resource and example for current, former and future Ducks.

Reaction Score
Oti Gildon's role on the staff before going to Seattle U. was similar

Oti Gildon returned to the Oregon women's basketball team in the summer of 2020, rejoining her alma mater as Interim Director of Creativity/Student Athlete Support. Gildon's role includes video coordination as well as camp staging and promotion, among other duties.

“We are thrilled to have Oti back as a part of our team,” said head coach Kelly Graves. “She was a foundational player for us who really helped build this program up to what it is, and she has gained valuable experience since while playing overseas. Oti’s energy is infectious and she will be a tremendous role model for our young team.”

So maybe it was a refinement of that title Oti had? Still does not hurt recruiting at having Ionescu tied more closely to the program.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Her bio on Oregon's web site says a little about the job. It's part-time.

"thankfulness." when did "gratitude" fall out of the lexicon.

"servanthood." unless we're talking Downton Abbey, last I checked U of O was a public school not a sectarian institution...

And unless Oregon has one fewer basketball assistant coach, Ionescu won't be doing any on court coaching without racking up NCAA penalties...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom