Fall Camp 2018 Coverage - #RiseAsOne | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Fall Camp 2018 Coverage - #RiseAsOne

Reaction Score
Off tangent, if the HOF pre-season game is where we are headed in this sport - I might not stick around for the long haul. Between the endless commercials and flag festival for contact penalties the NFL product is not getting easier to watch...especially if you aren't watching your team or watching for fantasy nonsense.
My reaction exactly. Now they even have to have a retired ref in the broadcast booth.

Reaction Score
Players generally take a reduced load in the fall and some in the spring due to official and unofficial practice demands. In this case he graduated back in May so he didn’t even use this final summer at Miami. There’s a reason two year graduate transfers are rare - because very few players, even with summers (and they obviously have workout commitments in the summer too), are able to play D-I football and graduate in 3 years.
Some do academically challenging degrees and some don't. It depends. Not many STEM or pre-med majors on D-1 FB teams.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I was more concerned with that right hand grabbing that far back on the jersey

They don't call that much and by that time the running back is through the hole onto the second level

Reaction Score
I also don't think we should expect anything from Fines. There are plenty of guys who play at big time programs who are not talented football players. We've had lots of big time transfers who have actually seen the field at power house programs and who haven't been stars here, so why should we expect Fines to be great? I think if he is an average starter it will be a pleasant surprise, but I don't really think we need him
If we didn't need him they never would have offered him a scholarship

Reaction Score
One well placed motivational comment by the coaches on Ryan Fine after the first practice and people are writing him off and looking to pull his scholarship.

The kid could always fall completely on his face but cripes it’s been three practices (w/ limited media availability after the first one).

He’s here and not @ a P5 Level program for a reason (and it’s not because UConn has a world class financial risk management grad program) - give it a chance. It was a low risk move by the staff.

Reaction Score
Every kid can have an off day. To pounce on anybody so early just isn't right. If they're giving their all and really working hard in practice every day that's all that counts right now. Right?

Reaction Score
Fine is a typical grad transfer. He brings experience at the D-1 level, which we need. He is here to provide short term depth. As with most of these guys he isn’t going to be a star or he is opulent he a grad transfer, he’d be an nfl rookie.

Reaction Score
I had seen that already, and I have talked to people who saw him play at Cross. All are pretty unanimous— he can’t miss. But I haven’t seen him play yet. I can’t wait.
I work for a school system and I was having a conversation with our Football coach this week and he told me that Jones is a gym rat and is strong as an ox.

Reaction Score
Every kid can have an off day. To pounce on anybody so early just isn't right. If they're giving their all and really working hard in practice every day that's all that counts right now. Right?

I think he precipitated the negative remarks by coming in out of shape and saying something to the effect of, "I took things for granted".

Reaction Score
Showing up the first day out of shape is not an off day thing. It speaks to a summer of not doing the work.
The d line coach was cited as being disappointed with his condition when he arrived in Stores back in June. That would speak to his work level in the spring in Miami, when he was not part of the program (probably no access to facilities) and trying to graduate. Supposedly he made weight for camp so he’s probably been working since coming north. Give the kid a chance as part of the program before writing him off.

P.S. Just to make sure he got the message, it’s probably not an accident that they had Fines line up opposite the best and most experienced offensive lineman, Peart, in the one-on-one drill. Now let’s see how much he improves through camp. If he doesn’t, then the coaches will probably figure on an extra scholarship for the spring class. If he does they have a two year contributor. Either way it was worth the risk at a depleted position.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Anyone know what the fall camp schedule and the fall camp media schedule?

Reaction Score
P.S. Just to make sure he got the message, it’s probably not an accident that they had Fines line up opposite the best and most experienced offensive lineman, Peart, in the one-on-one drill.
Would love to see that video!! ;)

Reaction Score
If u spend summers on campus, not such a big accomplishment.

Well ... let's just be kind. He graduated; that is a big accomplishment in my book from all the Football years I have watched and then my own experience as to what many men do on campus. But, with a little help from his transcript, I might give him HUGE kudos.

The days where he wasn't going to get a damn minute of playing time are over. This August is so very important for this young man. I hope he steps up for that reason.

Reaction Score
Fines comments may also explain his career at Miami. He may have coasted his way to UConn.

But no one forced Edsall to offer him a scholarship, so he saw something in the kid. Time to find out what we have.

Reaction Score
Guess I'm not a very good judge of one on one linemen action. I didn't see a big Peart success. Initial contact with Peart and Fine seemed slight push by Peart and then stalemate. Peart was holding the whole time. Very confined space so is really a strength and lesser of an agility contest.
I want my Right Tackle to flat out drive a potential nose guard or DE straight back on one of these drills. This wasn't our center who needs to utilize quickness, this was our bulldozing right tackle.
Saying our super, duper offensive lineman who was moved to the right side to take advantage of his run blocking could not pancake a 4th string, out of shape Miami defensive lineman who played a few more downs for the Hurricanes over the last few years than me is not good.
Then again maybe all you guys ragin' on Fine are overdoing it and Fine is just keeping his head down, agreeing with the coach re getting in better shape and doing his business at an ok level.

Reaction Score
I gotta feeling our DL rotation (Murphy, Thomas, Fines, & Jones) could very well be the most improved group. I'm sure rooting for that to happen. We win more battles at the LOS, we could be on to something starting this season, not the next one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
People are putting entirely too much weight on one rep between Peart and Fines. The only reason that rep was showcased is because of the the physical nature of a player being driven to the ground. It sells intensity. The reality is that Peart held and Fines had initial leverage. Peart MAY play in The NFL someday, and Fines MAY NOT become much of a contributor this year, but that one rep in no way tells either of those stories. LOL. Still fun to see football is back.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I gotta feeling our DL rotation (Murphy, Thomas, Fines, & Jones) could very well be the most i.proved group. I'm sure rooting for that to happen. We win more battles at the LOS, we could be on to so something starting this season, not the next one.

If the DL ends up improving that much, it's gonna make the backfield look a hell of a lot better as well!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom