Reaction Score
022.jpg

Saw the bus in Middletown this AM.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What is that - an Audi A2?

Reaction Score
I hope we use tight ends but this seems like one of those things like when the basketball coach say he is going to play pressing running basketball. Sounds great in the preseason but never seems to happen once the opening whistle blows.

Who amongst us does not appreciate a tight end?

Reaction Score
Ostrout: Soph RB Mensah trying to bounce back from spring suspension

>>“I always say a kid doesn’t know what he doesn’t know,” UConn running backs coach Terry Richardson said Tuesday. “And there were some things that we had to show him and teach him. Like ‘Hey, academics is a big part of what we do here. You were a star in high school but you’re here now. This is a hard-nosed program and accountability is key. We’re not just going to sweep things under the table and let you get by with it.’ ”

Three months later, Mensah is back. And doesn’t hold any grudges toward the coaching staff that briefly sacked him.

“That was a lesson learned. I think coach (Randy) Edsall did a great job of sitting me out and not letting me play, letting me realize that without education and without school you can’t play football,” Mensah said. “I thank him for that. That really taught me a lesson.”<<

Reaction Score
“That was a lesson learned. I think coach (Randy) Edsall did a great job of sitting me out and not letting me play, letting me realize that without education and without school you can’t play football,” Mensah said. “I thank him for that. That really taught me a lesson.”<<

No greater lesson than that.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Glad to hear something about Rose. I thought it was weird that they burned his redshirt last year on specials, unless 2016 counted as his redshirt season

Didn’t have a RS. You’re right, 2016 was when his clock started ticking

Reaction Score
Fuller: Mixed results in UConn’s first preseason camp practice

>>Randy Edsall, preparing for the second season in his second stint at the helm of the struggling program, didn’t like what he was seeing late in the practice. With his team gathered around him, Edsall cut loose in voicing his displeasure. Then he had his players line up so they could run, run some more and run a little bit longer. “I thought we started out OK but didn’t finish the way you’d like to,” Edsall said. “That’s on me to make sure I get these guys in that type of condition and develop that mental toughness to be able to finish things.”<<

>>Both Edsall and UConn defensive line coach Dennis Dottin-Carter said Fines did not report to campus in the kind of shape they were expecting when he arrived around Memorial Day. Fines worked with the third-team defense in the opening practice. “Today was not my best day, I came in probably a little overconfident,” Fines said. “I wasn’t really sure what to expect.“It (playing with the third team) does send me a message because my goal here is to start, so I have work my (butt) off to make sure that happens.”<<

>>Luke Magliozzi’s punting and quarterback David Pindell’s repeated deep connections with receivers Kyle Buss and Keyion Dixon were among the highlights from the opening practice, while true freshman Shamel Lazarus opened across from Tahj Herring-Wilson at cornerback, and linebacker Eli Thomas also worked with the starters.<<

Reaction Score
Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 4m 4 minutes ago
Found it interesting when #UConn football practice broke into individual drills today, 6 of 8 cornerbacks were freshmen (Olaniyan, Lucien, Paul, Lazarus, Carroll and walk-on Cam Kranich). Also, Marshe' Terry (listed as linebacker) worked exclusively with safety group

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Fuller: Mixed results in UConn’s first preseason camp practice

>>Randy Edsall, preparing for the second season in his second stint at the helm of the struggling program, didn’t like what he was seeing late in the practice. With his team gathered around him, Edsall cut loose in voicing his displeasure. Then he had his players line up so they could run, run some more and run a little bit longer. “I thought we started out OK but didn’t finish the way you’d like to,” Edsall said. “That’s on me to make sure I get these guys in that type of condition and develop that mental toughness to be able to finish things.”<<

>>Both Edsall and UConn defensive line coach Dennis Dottin-Carter said Fines did not report to campus in the kind of shape they were expecting when he arrived around Memorial Day. Fines worked with the third-team defense in the opening practice. “Today was not my best day, I came in probably a little overconfident,” Fines said. “I wasn’t really sure what to expect.“It (playing with the third team) does send me a message because my goal here is to start, so I have work my (butt) off to make sure that happens.”<<

>>Luke Magliozzi’s punting and quarterback David Pindell’s repeated deep connections with receivers Kyle Buss and Keyion Dixon were among the highlights from the opening practice, while true freshman Shamel Lazarus opened across from Tahj Herring-Wilson at cornerback, and linebacker Eli Thomas also worked with the starters.<<

Shameless Lazarus is legit. Never seen a guy with arms that long. He’s so lanky that I wonder how well he’ll be able to tackle, but I do think he’s very talented and will see lots of time.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Shameless Lazarus is legit. Never seen a guy with arms that long. He’s so lanky that I wonder how well he’ll be able to tackle, but I do think he’s very talented and will see lots of time.

"Shameless Shamel" - I like that.

Reaction Score
Merton Hanks Like. I just hope doesn't do that dangly neck swinging dance after he makes a big play. I hated when Hanks did that against my Cowboys.
imgres

Attachments

• DdNcApp.gif
    DdNcApp.gif
    4.9 MB · Views: 38
Reaction Score
UConnBlog: UConn Football’s Michael Tarbutt Has Potential to be a "Great Kicker" Despite Shaky Season

>>“He had some inconsistencies at times but he got to the point this spring where he’s very consistent,” Allen said. “He’s got a lot of talent, he’s got a lot of leg, there’s no question about that. He just needs to develop his process as a kicker.”

Allen has been drilling that process into Tarbutt’s head since he arrived. “We always talk about every kick is the same kick, every kick is a straight kick,” Allen said. “Every kick is the same kick whether it’s a practice rep, game rep, warm up rep. Every kick is the same kick. If he develops that process — he’s started to — that’s what great kickers do, they’ve got a process and he’s on the road to be where he needs to be.”<<

Reaction Score

Interesting comment Coach Cox made about "it might be a generational" thing when he talked about looking for accountability.

Such a different world from when I was their age and it's great to see guys are taking that important step to call their peers out if they're not doing what's necessary for the team to succeed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom