Fairfield standout potential transfer to UCONN - article | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Fairfield standout potential transfer to UCONN - article

Reaction Score
Admittedly I don't follow Maryland WBB. I didn't know much about Reese, so I looked her up. She's got quite a resume. She couldn't be on all of the watch lists and All-American teams if she was an "average" player. Looking at her resume, I agree with you. I'd definitely welcome her to our program if she wanted to come........depending on why is leaving Maryland. She averaged 17.8/10.6 this past year. She led the team in scoring and she plays defense.

View attachment 75676
Angel Reese
  • POSITION Forward/Guard
  • HEIGHT 6-3
  • CLASS : Junior in the fall of 2022-2023
  • MAJOR Communication
  • HOMETOWN Baltimore, MD
  • HIGH SCHOOL St. Frances Academy
  • AP Third Team All-American (2022)
  • USBWA All-America Honorable Mention (2022)
  • Naismith Defensive Player of the Year Semifinalist (2022)
  • Wooden Award National Ballot (2022)
  • All-Big Ten First Team (2022)
  • All-Big Ten Defensive Team (2022)
  • Katrina McClain Award Finalist (2022)
  • WBCA Regional Finalist (2022)
  • All-Big Ten Freshman Team (2021)
  • Cheryl Miller Award Watch List (2020)
  • Big Ten Freshman of the Week (11/30/20)
  • Big Ten Player of the Week Honor Roll (11/15/21; 12/6/21; 12/13/21; 1/3/22; 2/7/22; 2/21/22; 2/28/22)
  • Baltimore Sun 25 Women to Watch List (2021)
  • Wooden Award Late Season Top 20 (2022)
she's very talented and her unorthodox shooting style makes her virtually unstoppable no matter who is defending her......that said I find it doubtful that she would choose to play within Geno's system.........as I said before I'd love to be mistaken because with her up front, UConn would have a much better chance versus South Carolina or Stanford......

Reaction Score
2 May be more than one but not necessarily greater or better. Would you rather have Paige or 2 guards from Sister Mary’s School for Wayward Girls ? It’s not a numbers game. If all you want to do is replace leaving positions with the same amount of portal positions, you haven’t evaluated what is needed to improve.

I’ll leave Brazil nuts out of this. I don’t like them anyway. I’ll put it this way…………..

If we do nothing and just go with the current roster ….maybe bring in a couple of walk-ins to fill up the bench (they are always fun to have on the team and root for), we are a FF team.

If we bring in more guards from the portal, we are a FF team.

If we want to stop teasing the record for consecutive FF appearances without a NC, we need bigs who can get it done.

Portal players come in to help meet short term needs and goals. With the current roster, it wouldn’t take much to finally get over the hump. That help needs to be someone who helps us control the paint….rebounds and points.. not another 3 point shooter.
I don’t think anyone would argue that we could/would use a “banger” in the post! The problem is, they are very hard to find and It is extremely uncertain if such a player is even available. (In the portal) First, you have to find one that fits our needs and is good enough to play at our level, then you have to ascertain (to the extent you can) if she fits into the UConn team culture/ethos and finally, does she even want to come here? That’s a lot of things that have to happen in a short amount of time from a very small group of players! I certainly hope Geno et al can snatch a pearl from the picked over shells that he is looking though but unless he finds one that fits within his usual template, I say we should pass. We have enough size to win next year even if we don’t find someone! The big thing is health and player development! Here’s hoping Amari has a transformative summer and Ice and Ayanna arrive in the best shape of their lives!

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
Sometimes I wonder if the very disciplined offensive scheme limits the exceptional abilities of certain players. Players like Paige and Azzi would be unstoppable on the playground.
Same thing I voiced in another thread. It's as if I uttered blasphemy. Thanks for confirming I wasn't off base.

Reaction Score
Same thing I voiced in another thread. It's as if I uttered blasphemy. Thanks for confirming I wasn't off base.
When you say the NPOY who has gone to the FF and Finals in which none of her more experienced last year's juniors and this years seniors weren't quite as good of past top recruits of years past, then it wasn't blasphemy you were posting -- it was just plain wrong analysis.

Reaction Score
It's so funny to watch people KNOW I'm wrong or have been wrong when something hasn't even happened yet. What part of the word MIGHT do you not understand? I even capitalized it for the reading impaired. Paige MIGHT stay but I gave a lot of good reasons why she might leave as well. The sooner she starts her pro career the sooner she gets off that rookie contract and who knows what these players might make in 5 years. A major draw like Paige. $1 million might be chump change for her in 5 years and, as I said, she takes those contracts with her when she goes. Is she taking extra courses each semester and going to summer school? That extra year of pro ball might be worth millions more to her in 5 years. There is a good chance women's salaries keep expanding for the top talent. In 5 years she may have 2 million social media followers or more. The current rate for one of her social media posts is about $670 if I remember correctly ( on an abstract level for a following that size ). With 2 million followers she's looking at over $1300 per day from one influencer post per day. These NIL deals are not happening just because she's a good ball player. She is worth so much more because of her social media power.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I wonder if the very disciplined offensive scheme limits the exceptional abilities of certain players. Players like Paige and Azzi would be unstoppable on the playground.
I sorta agree. I think most people who have played the game have known players who were very good on asphalt, but less so on hard wood. I've also known ball hogs that completely destroyed the team game. Paige is the best combination of playing an excellent team game and taking over when needed.

Speaking of Paige, I don't know whether she stays 3, 4, or 5 years. But I'm pretty sure whatever she decides to do, greed will not be the motivating factor (to those speculating that she might leave in 3 for future $$$).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What makes you think next season is her last? I may be all wrong but I was thinking with the money she's making now, she'd stay all four years and possibly even stick around for a covid fifth if she's still having fun........
I don't think next season will be Paige's last. I'm just pointing out the possibility that it could be as I did with Azura Stevens, Morgan Tuck and Megan Walker. I also don't think the money she is making via NIL is going to go away if she goes to WNBA. I could see Paige in a future StateFarm commercial with her signature Nike Shoe by summer of '23.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's so funny to watch people KNOW I'm wrong
lol-hahaha.gif

Reaction Score
I don't think next season will be Paige's last. I'm just pointing out the possibility that it could be as I did with Azura Stevens, Morgan Tuck and Megan Walker. I also don't think the money she is making via NIL is going to go away if she goes to WNBA. I could see Paige in a future StateFarm commercial with her signature Nike Shoe by summer of '23.
it's certainly possible but I believe early on she said she intended on staying for all four years and I think she's having so much fun it would be hard to leave..........if healthy she's most likely going to be the number one or two pick along with Boston no matter whether it's in one year or two......

Reaction Score
all the injuries she's gone through you really think she's going to risk an extra year to stay and lose on millions? Idc what she makes in college, it's nothing to the pro's. Especially with exclusive shoe deals in the Wnba. Plus what if someone like the Liberty get the 1st overall pick, who would pass on going to NY?
Obviously if she continues to be dogged by injuries that could have an impact on her decision whether to go pro early. I simply view her as the ultimate team player and I don't see her leaving Azzi and friends until they get an NC or her eligibility runs out. How much money will she make as the number one or number two WNBA pick? Is that going to make a big difference in her lifestyle? The money is great but PB hardly seems the type to be basing her actions on the money. On a slightly different tangent, do you think she would have the same notoriety today if she had chosen a school other than UConn? I may be fooling myself but I would say no.........

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
When you say the NPOY who has gone to the FF and Finals in which none of her more experienced last year's juniors and this years seniors weren't quite as good of past top recruits of years past, then it wasn't blasphemy you were posting -- it was just plain wrong analysis.
Not sure what you're referring to but the post I made spoke about the wether the offensive scheme suited Paiges style of play. My thoughts were along the same lines as LoboDays.

Reaction Score

Paige maybe, but Azzi would be better in a structured offense.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
all the injuries she's gone through you really think she's going to risk an extra year to stay and lose on millions? Idc what she makes in college, it's nothing to the pro's. Especially with exclusive shoe deals in the Wnba. Plus what if someone like the Liberty get the 1st overall pick, who would pass on going to NY?
Players in the WNBA don't make millions. I bet that the only two WNBA players that have made millions are Sue and Diana, when they were paid $$$$ in Moscow. Many of them have to play overseas to complement the W's salaries. Stewie is maxed out and making $200k next season, which is a far cry from any NBA player at her experience level. Per an article from last year - "in the 2019 season, the WNBA’s maximum salary was $117,500, lower than the veteran’s minimum in the big four pro sports leagues in the U.S. But women’s basketball leagues overseas pay as much as 10 times that amount."

The sponsorships are starting to flow into the W (Bird - Corona, Stewie - Coke, KLS/Stewie/Skylar - Puma) however IMHO it will take years for it to get to a respectful level, albeit not close to the NBA. Paige's NIL deals are probably worth more annually than most W players make. College and pro worlds are so different, it depends on what each player wants - leave the security and structure of college and go pro, or go pro quicker to hopefully cash in on deals and contracts.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I know this thread began discussing a specific player, but ..... LOL
Anyway, I contend that UConn can win the National Championship with their current team - barring injuries.
This year's National Championship game would have looked very different with Dorka and Aubrey available. The Dorka benefit is obvious, but I think we tend to forget about Aubrey because we haven't seen her in so long. She's NM up high. Her aggressiveness and athleticism could change momentum. I contend we could have won with those two adding to the mix - not replacing someone, but adding to UConn's bodies and looks on the floor. That said, you can only use what you've got. The key is Amari's development. But if she can play useful minutes and everybody is healthy, this team can win it all. Doesn't matter who is better on paper for the Championship game - just who is better for that game. I can't wait until November.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This isn't a playground and i think you may have this slightly backwards. Without the disciplined UCONN offensive schemes individual players could not maximize their ability. Put Azzi and Paige on the same playground or any gym with SC defenders Beal, Henderson and Cooke & I guarantee you might want to reconsider unstoppable. Both the players that come to UCONN and SC have to make sacrifices and improvements to their individual games for the greater good of the team. One of the key improvements that Azzi has to make is defensively because in both games against SC she was a defensive liability. I'm also not sure there is or would be a better "playground" player in the country than Cooke. Don't think for a second that Dawn has not had to coach out playground tendencies in Cooke in order for her to become a 3 year starter & NCAA champion.

Reaction Score
Not sure what you're referring to but the post I made spoke about the wether the offensive scheme suited Paiges style of play. My thoughts were along the same lines as LoboDays.
I'm talking about Paige being perfectly suited for UCONN's offensive scheme. It is obvious that she is.

Reaction Score
It's kind of hard to like you Coco. Maybe it's because you always think you are right, even when it's still totally up in the air. We can have different opinions without insulting each other overtly. People here are disputing what BOTH of us think regarding Paige possibly leaving but somehow I'm the only one that's "wrong". Think about that for a few nanoseconds and then think about it a few hours more if that is how long it takes you to assimilate the data. I'm agreeing with you and you still find joy in throwing an insult.

Reaction Score
Great players make great plays no matter what kind of offense their teams run.............if anything, Geno's offense gives each player a chance to score if they see an opportunity...............,.on some teams one player posses the ball for all but a few seconds of every possession which I would think is limiting.....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's kind of hard to like you Coco. Maybe it's because you always think you are right, even when it's still totally up in the air. We can have different opinions without insulting each other overtly. People here are disputing what BOTH of us think regarding Paige possibly leaving but somehow I'm the only one that's "wrong". Think about that for a few nanoseconds and then think about it a few hours more if that is how long it takes you to assimilate the data. I'm agreeing with you and you still find joy in throwing an insult.
:eek: Maybe you would like me more if you disagreed with me. Give that a try let me know how it works out for you :D

Reaction Score
In January 2020, WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert and WNBPA president Nneka Ogwumike announced a collective bargaining agreement that would increase WNBA salaries to a $130,000 average salary and allow the league’s all-stars and superstars to earn a maximum salary of more than $500,000. In other words, pro salaries are on an upward trend. Who knows what they will be in 5 years when Paige would presumably be off her rookie deal?

Reaction Score
:eek: Maybe you would like me more if you disagreed with me. Give that a try let me know how it works out for you :D
It clearly hasn't worked in the past Coco but fortunately for you I'm not too worried about it. I have bigger problems than Coco insulting me over nothing, because he/she gets their rocks off putting others down on a sports blog. Are you happy Coco? I think not. ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
it's certainly possible but I believe early on she said she intended on staying for all four years and I think she's having so much fun it would be hard to leave..........if healthy she's most likely going to be the number one or two pick along with Boston no matter whether it's in one year or two......
I don't remember Paige saying that and even if she did that was before NIL which didn't go into effect until July of 2021. Again I'm only pointing out the possibility of her leaving. BTW Boston has the option of staying 2 more years in NCAA.

Reaction Score
I don't remember Paige saying that and even if she did that was before NIL which didn't go into effect until July of 2021. Again I'm only pointing out the possibility of her leaving. BTW Boston has the option of staying 2 more years in NCAA.
I believe she was asked the question during her freshman year.........that's why I brought up Boston who I think is the only player that might go ahead of PB in the draft if they both continue to play great ball.......does being the number one draft choice in the WNBA matter to PB? I wouldn't think so.........

Naturally, Bueckers has similar goals.

“I want to win four (national titles),” Bueckers said. “That’s my goal and that should be everybody’s goal. Winning four championships, going undefeated all four years. I hate losing.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom