Fairfield standout potential transfer to UCONN - article | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Fairfield standout potential transfer to UCONN - article

Reaction Score
you do realize they make their money off sponsors? Same in the Nba.
You do realize that the poster you responded to with the preface “you do realize”, might be realizing something you don’t?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My guess is that the holiday weekend took precedence over Lou getting up to Storrs for a visit. I think we'll hear more by the end of the week.
I don't believe it was the Holiday that got in the way, it was the recruiting calendar. The next window that allow for visits to campus is 20 through 22 April. If she doesn't make it then the next window will not be until towards the end of July.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
you do realize they make their money off sponsors? Same in the Nba.
The difference is that NBA players make significantly more money from their salaries, with Steph Curry leading the pack at $45 million per year. The $230k top salary in the W is just pocket change for most NBA players.

Reaction Score
While a relatively small point, I love what I see of Ayanna and Ice setting picks. This past year, UConn guards, excluding Paige, tended to run around picks, not use them to "pick off" the defender. With Edwards and the two frosh having solid frames and not afraid of contact, I suspect defenders will have to always be aware UConn's motion offense. Running into any of the 3 a few times will tend to slow the defender down.
I agree completely about the guards not using the pics properly which I believe contributed to our Bigs getting in foul trouble off of moving pics. It looks as though the Bigs attempt to stop the defendant from chasing continue to move. If the guards use them properly they don’t have to move. In addition does it appear that this team doesn’t push the ball of court like teams from yesteryear. Nika brings the ball up quickly faster than most of the team so the offense has to slow down and set up giving the Defence time to set up as well. EW appeared to be in no rush when she was at point and slowly brought the ball up and set up the office again letting the Defense set up as well. I just remember Connecticut best teams push the ball up court making passes with the ball never touching the court.I may just have a biased memory.

Reaction Score
I agree completely about the guards not using the pics properly which I believe contributed to our Bigs getting in foul trouble off of moving pics. It looks as though the Bigs attempt to stop the defendant from chasing continue to move. If the guards use them properly they don’t have to move. In addition does it appear that this team doesn’t push the ball of court like teams from yesteryear. Nika brings the ball up quickly faster than most of the team so the offense has to slow down and set up giving the Defence time to set up as well. EW appeared to be in no rush when she was at point and slowly brought the ball up and set up the office again letting the Defense set up as well. I just remember Connecticut best teams push the ball up court making passes with the ball never touching the court.I may just have a biased memory.
You are correct, this team makes little attempt to pick up the pace except for Nika. Statistically we are a relatively low paced team, despite getting more opportunities to break off of turnovers. Geno may say he likes to play fast, but the only time we really fast break is off turnovers. The outlet pass seems to be a lost art as well, our first pass after the rebound rarely advances the ball significantly up the floor.

I don't know if these players overall are best suited to a fast pace or not, but clearly Nika is, Aubrey if healthy I think would be, and Ayanna looks like she can fly on the break, so I would like to see more of it. Another factor is spot up three point shooters to trail the break, we were just ok not great with Christyn and Evina for example but a healthy Paige, alot more of Azzi, improvement from Caroline which I expect from beyond the arc, and perhaps a portal 3pt threat should make us much better there as well.

Reaction Score
You are correct, this team makes little attempt to pick up the pace except for Nika. Statistically we are a relatively low paced team, despite getting more opportunities to break off of turnovers. Geno may say he likes to play fast, but the only time we really fast break is off turnovers. The outlet pass seems to be a lost art as well, our first pass after the rebound rarely advances the ball significantly up the floor.

I don't know if these players overall are best suited to a fast pace or not, but clearly Nika is, Aubrey if healthy I think would be, and Ayanna looks like she can fly on the break, so I would like to see more of it. Another factor is spot up three point shooters to trail the break, we were just ok not great with Christyn and Evina for example but a healthy Paige, alot more of Azzi, improvement from Caroline which I expect from beyond the arc, and perhaps a portal 3pt threat should make us much better there as well.
I noticed Nika gets ahead on the fast break so I wondered why. One of the things I noticed...other than she is really fast, is that when she subs in...she's fresh and mostly everyone else has logged some minutes. It's not nearly as bad when she checks in with several subs or when she starts. But...she is very quick.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
if LLS is really committing in the next couple of weeks and her only chance to visit schools is Wednesday and Thursday of this week then one would assume if she's UConn bound, she'll be here soon or not at all.............

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
if LLS is really committing in the next couple of weeks and her only chance to visit schools is Wednesday and Thursday of this week then one would assume if she's UConn bound, she'll be here soon or not at all.............
There was a meet and greet today at Fairfield University for the new coach with admin, alums, the media & some players attending. While I could not be certain, it looked as if LLS was in attendance. Of course that does not mean she’s decided to stay at Fairfield for a 5th year, but it does indicate she’s supporting her current team & their new coach.

One other thing I picked up from the event today. For many years Fairfield has played their basketball games at Webster Bank Arena (now Total Mortgage Arena) off campus in Bridgeport, the facility where the recent Bridgeport Regional was held. Next season all Fairfield home games will be played at a brand new on campus arena.

There’s a lot of excitement about Fairfield basketball. While I continue to hope that LLS transfers to Storrs, it would not surprise me if she decides to stay at Fairfield for a 5th season.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There was a meet and greet today at Fairfield University for the new coach with admin, alums, the media & some players attending. While I could not be certain, it looked as if LLS was in attendance. Of course that does not mean she’s decided to stay at Fairfield for a 5th year, but it does indicate she’s supporting her current team & their new coach.

One other thing I picked up from the event today. For many years Fairfield has played their basketball games at Webster Bank Arena (now Total Mortgage Arena) off campus in Bridgeport, the facility where the recent Bridgeport Regional was held. Next season all Fairfield home games will be played at a brand new on campus arena.

There’s a lot of excitement about Fairfield basketball. While I continue to hope that LLS transfers to Storrs, it would not surprise me if she decides to stay at Fairfield for a 5th season.
You make a good point, but I would be surprised if she stays. She has said she wants to play pro ball, and not only needs more exposure, but needs to get as prepared as possible. Fairfield simply can't provide that. We will see soon enough, though!

Reaction Score
You make a good point, but I would be surprised if she stays. She has said she wants to play pro ball, and not only needs more exposure, but needs to get as prepared as possible. Fairfield simply can't provide that. We will see soon enough, though!
if she plays well in a part time role for UConn next season, LLS knows that Geno will help her with his contacts in the WNBA even if she doesn't get drafted.......in the meantime she will be well prepared as a player after practicing against UConn's great guards.....

Reaction Score
If she wants a future in basketball, UConn is the clear choice. Playing for UConn opens doors.

Reaction Score
I don't believe it was the Holiday that got in the way, it was the recruiting calendar. The next window that allow for visits to campus is 20 through 22 April. If she doesn't make it then the next window will not be until towards the end of July.

Unofficial visits on campus are allowed on almost all of the dates between April 20 and July 5. There are only a few days that are exceptions.

Reaction Score
Fairfield plays one of the weaker schedules in the country. Was not tested in MAAC - 19-1 record. Only one top 20 team (Indiana) on last year's schedule. While would like to see Geno sign another guard, curious why so many appear to think she has the experience to play against the best teams in the country. Has solid stats but this is a big step up. No personal knowledge either way.

Reaction Score
696FCC22-221C-4EBF-A6E4-4508D4FDDF4E.jpeg

Now this is someone who I think could be a big help! Would love to see us go hard after her.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Fairfield plays one of the weaker schedules in the country. Was not tested in MAAC - 19-1 record. Only one top 20 team (Indiana) on last year's schedule. While would like to see Geno sign another guard, curious why so many appear to think she has the experience to play against the best teams in the country. Has solid stats but this is a big step up. No personal knowledge either way.
Do you watch the UConn men? They had a grad transfer from Howard University that was one of the best point guards in the Big East last year and who earned 1st team All Big East honors. I don’t think Howard plays many world-beaters, either.

Lou had 17 point, 5 rebounds in 30 minutes against Texas in the NCAAs and 15 points in 25 minutes against Indiana. She’s tough-minded, in the Nika mold, and brings a little swagger. Most importantly, Geno wants her, so I do.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
LLS is not about bringing in a “game changer” to UConn WBB. She would be a role player that adds much needed depth at guard. In 3 games vs P-5 teams (Rutgers, IN & TX) along with one game vs ranked FGCU, LLS scored in double figures every time.

She has size, rebounds and shoots 40+ % from the arc. What’s not to like? However, if UConn has the opportunity to bring in Ashley Owusu, then I agree that LLS is not necessarily a player worth pursuing.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
View attachment 75767
Now this is someone who I think could be a big help! Would love to see us go hard after her.
She not going to give you much on the defensive end of the floor but she will get you some buckets. She was also a one time UCONN player of interest with Shea going to her high school to watch her play.

Reaction Score
she played well against Texas in the NCAA Tournament...........nobody views her as a starter but as a backup that could provide some shooting off the bench..........I'd prefer Correa if there was mutual interest............

Reaction Score
View attachment 75767
I've followed her for many years as she played against my daughter in high school...........extremely quick and aggressive and a streaky shooter that can penetrate and hit the three...........she'd be a great choice if she was willing to come off the bench for UConn........another player with pro potential that could greatly benefit from a UConn basketball education..........sadly I'm pretty sure she wants to be a starter.....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I've followed her for many years as she played against my daughter in high school...........extremely quick and aggressive and a streaky shooter that can penetrate and hit the three...........she'd be a great choice if she was willing to come off the bench for UConn........another player with pro potential that could greatly benefit from a UConn basketball education..........sadly I'm pretty sure she wants to be a starter.....
She was a starter at St Johns as well as one of their goto scorers. I believe she has 2 more years of eligibility which includes the Covid year. Perhaps she’s looking for a school where she can develop her game to become a “viable” pro prospect?

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I share your concern about her ability to step up to the level of competition that UCONN is going to face. Evelyn Adebayo was a player with similar numbers in a similar conference that was unable to make an impact at UCONN. I'd also add that there are still several quality guards/Wings still available in the portal that have all played for P5 conferences

Cameron Swartz BC
Sammie Pusis FSU
Maddie Scheer Oregon
Taylor Bigby Oregon
Greta Kampschroeder Oregon State
Lealani Correa -St Johns
Eniya Russell -South Carolina
Shamarla King-VT*

* UCONN should definitely take a look at this in state product-she's from Hartford.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom