Fairfield standout potential transfer to UCONN - article | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Fairfield standout potential transfer to UCONN - article

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That’s a bit of hyperbole
No, actually it’s not. You compete for every game, never mind the season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco, I hear what you are saying and I don't want to get too nutty about this. I understand that if you lose 2 you need 2 to back to even. But do you really want to get back to even? I think it's better to look at what you got left, what you need, and try to fill that need. IMHO that need is a proven, experienced big, think Dorka 2.0. That should be the top priority, the best guard you can get is priority #2.
Of course I don't want to get back to even I want UCONN to be bad for WCBB again. Having said that I disagree that an experienced big should be the priority. The primary reason i disagree is you have two players coming in that are capable of playing the post and Amari might also develop into a rotation players. We only have 3 guards total. Nika the presumptive non-starter among the three has not show the ability to play shooting guard at a UCONN level. We need another rotation guard more than we need another post IMO. UCONN cannot dictate tempo with three guards and Paige does not need to have another season where she averages over 36 MPG.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No, actually it’s not. You compete for every game, never mind the season.
We’re talking about 2 different things. I agree that you play to win every game. My point had more to do with what is best for the team overall from a long term standpoint. IMO, there is no Big in the portal that makes UConn a better team than SC next year. That doesn’t mean UConn can’t beat SC next year. But it does mean that UConn is better off playing the hand they hold rather than trying to draw to an inside straight.

I would certainly take another player or two to add some depth. But I don’t see a game changer available at C/PF.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I’m just wondering as I sit here in mid-April, will the additions Geno will make over the summer (whoever they may be), be enough to beat South Carolina in the tournament? As I clearly delineated in a post prior to the start of the games, the road to the championship goes through Columbia.

The site for next year's tournament will change, but not the path to get there. That remains the same. To beat SC, he must configure a team that can do so.
Clearly not. But it's only mid April.

Reaction Score
After watching Ayanna and Ice recently I think both will contribute soon next year. That is a reassuring feeling. I think Ayanna may even be exactly what we need against SC. That girl is focused on rebounding and can go get it. She is not an Aneesa Morrow offensively but she can go get it. She may be capable of being the top rebounder on the team because of her ability and because of her positioning. I love how hard she works it now. She knows what her job is.

Reaction Score
After watching Ayanna and Ice recently I think both will contribute soon next year. That is a reassuring feeling. I think Ayanna may even be exactly what we need against SC. That girl is focused on rebounding and can go get it. She is not an Aneesa Morrow offensively but she can go get it. She may be capable of being the top rebounder on the team because of her ability and because of her positioning. I love how hard she works it now. She knows what her job is.
Sure hope you’re right this time. You’ve been wrong a few times lol.

Reaction Score
I’m just wondering as I sit here in mid-April, will the additions Geno will make over the summer (whoever they may be), be enough to beat South Carolina in the tournament? As I clearly delineated in a post prior to the start of the games, the road to the championship goes through Columbia.

The site for next year's tournament will change, but not the path to get there. That remains the same. To beat SC, he must configure a team that can do so.
most likely not, this past season was the best shot to win. Now this season starting lineup is projected to be, 2 sophomores, 2 jrs, and a sr coming off a horrible injury. Meanwhile the depth is Nika and then... Feels like all that depth UConn had just left in an instant.

Reaction Score
If Old Dude is right about no interesting bigs in the Portal, hope is what we cling to.

Reaction Score
2 May be more than one but not necessarily greater or better. Would you rather have Paige or 2 guards from Sister Mary’s School for Wayward Girls ? It’s not a numbers game. If all you want to do is replace leaving positions with the same amount of portal positions, you haven’t evaluated what is needed to improve.

I’ll leave Brazil nuts out of this. I don’t like them anyway. I’ll put it this way…………..

If we do nothing and just go with the current roster ….maybe bring in a couple of walk-ins to fill up the bench (they are always fun to have on the team and root for), we are a FF team.

If we bring in more guards from the portal, we are a FF team.

If we want to stop teasing the record for consecutive FF appearances without a NC, we need bigs who can get it done.

Portal players come in to help meet short term needs and goals. With the current roster, it wouldn’t take much to finally get over the hump. That help needs to be someone who helps us control the paint….rebounds and points.. not another 3 point shooter.
the only "big" (and she's really not that big) in the portal that would make an appreciable difference in the quality of the team is Angel Reese and I doubt she is all that interested in the UConn "experience".......believe me, I'd love to be wrong about that........

Reaction Score
Sure hope you’re right this time. You’ve been wrong a few times lol.
I'm very confident that Patterson will be a great addition defensively and on the boards as she can jump out of the building, is aggressive and something of a ball hawk..............my only question is about her shooting ability.........she needs to be able to hit the midrange jumper with enough consistency to keep defenders honest.....I suspect we are going to see her do some very exciting things next season......if Aubrey returns in good form the two of them are going to cause a lot of problems for opponents on the defensive end and on the fast break..........

Reaction Score
I'm fine with Ayanna not being ready with the outside shot yet, as long as she doesn't shoot the outside shot! If she focuses on cleaning up the boards and defense she can get some points off rebounds and she can really contribute. I keep saying Victaria Saxton. What is wrong with that scenario? Saxton is huge for SC. Saxton makes Boston so much better with her screens and teamwork. Their bigs screen for each other down under. And over time I can see Ayanna making some short jumpers as well. Her free throw shooting is not horrible. The more I see her against good competition the more I like her. Watching her in high school against midgets and with terrible teammates was so hard to get a feel for what she could be.

Reaction Score
The bottom line is Ice and Ayanna really can contribute next year and there are no alternatives in the portal any better. Get a guard or 2 for depth.

Reaction Score
While a relatively small point, I love what I see of Ayanna and Ice setting picks. This past year, UConn guards, excluding Paige, tended to run around picks, not use them to "pick off" the defender. With Edwards and the two frosh having solid frames and not afraid of contact, I suspect defenders will have to always be aware UConn's motion offense. Running into any of the 3 a few times will tend to slow the defender down.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We’re talking about 2 different things. I agree that you play to win every game. My point had more to do with what is best for the team overall from a long term standpoint. IMO, there is no Big in the portal that makes UConn a better team than SC next year. That doesn’t mean UConn can’t beat SC next year. But it does mean that UConn is better off playing the hand they hold rather than trying to draw to an inside straight.

I would certainly take another player or two to add some depth. But I don’t see a game changer available at C/PF.
Geno can only add players that are available...........................and that want to come to UConn. Right now, the elephant in the room is South Carolina!! That's not breaking news. Let's not worry or concern ourselves with any other team but THAT one. We didn't beat them in 2 tries this season. Dawn didn't lose enough players to graduation and the portal for us to relax and figure "we got this" the next time we meet. So, next season Geno must put together a team that can.

The first question is can Geno beat SC with the team (including the incoming freshmen) presently constituted? If you think the answer is yes, then no further dialog is needed concerning adding any more players.

The second question is: If you think more depth/players is/are needed, then we must identify where the greatest need is, and who do they get to fill that/those need(s)? Over 1000 players are in the portal. Surely one or two of them is sufficiently suited to bring in and blend into the core and fabric of our team to help achieve that end.

I agree there is not a BIG (that I'm aware of) available that makes them better than SC, but I do think there is one that can/will help solidify the position and provide some production on both ends of the court if it's determined that Amari is still not ready. It's no accident that quality BIGS that hit the portal don't stay there very long. Supply and demand. Very short supply, extremely high demand.

Boston had 11 pts, 16 rbs and 2 blks. SC out rebounded UConn 49 to 24. That's 2 to 1 folks. You can't win games being out rebounded like that. :confused: They ARE the team to beat next season. Make no mistake about it. They were the preseason number 1 ranked team last year, and they will be again this coming season.

Can we agree on what position(s) have the most "critical" need RIGHT NOW?!? Some folks think we need another guard, others are advocating for help at the post position. The Boneyard seldom agrees on anything. Can we get a consensus on THIS topic?
Whether we agree or not. Whether we recognize it or not, SC RIGHT NOW is the best team in Division 1 WCBB, and they're not going away. So what do we do? Wait until Boston graduates (she's a senior next year), or regroup and wrest the championship away from them next year? They were the last team that stood between UConn and the championship. They've won 2 NC's (2017/2022) since we have.
The ball is in our court, what do we do with it? Score it, or turn it over? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
The ball is in our court, what do we do with it? Score it, or turn it over? :rolleyes:
I think that the Geno and staff are busy in the portal as we speak.
And that's why they're waiting before making an offer to Lou, to see who else may be available.
They're probably contacting players to gauge their interest.
And just like a professional sports team, they have a draft board that's their wish list of the best available players that they hope to recruit in a pecking order.
I'm sure that Geno intends to give the freshmen some PT, but I doubt that he's counting on them being ready to play at the highest level right away.
And if he can improve the team's talent then he will.
If he doesn't improve the team then it's on him how much of a chance that UConn has of reaching next year's FF.
Other teams will be trying to recruit the best available players in the portal, and I doubt that Geno wants UConn or Paige & company to be let down.
Geno has as much of a desire to win as anyone, probably more so because it's his job and his legacy that he
wants to preserve.

Geno may even be considering "game ready" European superstar recruits too.

As far as next year, it's one game at a time, same as always.
Always be prepared for the worst that can happen while hoping for the best.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
most likely not, this past season was the best shot to win. Now this season starting lineup is projected to be, 2 sophomores, 2 jrs, and a sr coming off a horrible injury. Meanwhile the depth is Nika and then... Feels like all that depth UConn had just left in an instant.
I thought the same thing going into this past season. Earlier this week, we lost 3 seniors with 12 years of experience. They are being replaced by two freshmen with zero college level experience who will play like freshmen and make freshmen mistakes while they're learning Geno's system and their new teammates, along with getting their WCBB sea legs. There is no substitute for experience. Other than Dorka Juhasz (came in as a graduate transfer), Aubrey Griffin will be the only senior on the roster next season.

Since she missed all of last year, she comes in with only 2 years of experience. The same as juniors Nika, Aaliyah and Paige. Griffin's recovery time was estimated to be 4 months (mid May). She's expected to be br completely healed, rehabilitated, cleared and ready to go when official practice begins the second week in October.

RIGHT NOW including the incoming freshmen, UConn has 10 roster players. Is that enough? :rolleyes: Remember at one point this past season, UConn was down to 7 rotation players. They began the season with 14 players on roster. Saylor Poffenbarger (Arkansas) and Mir McLean (UVA) transferred out at the Christmas break. Aubrey Griffin had season ending back surgery on Jan 10, 2022.

“It just didn’t feel right the entire game,” coach Geno Auriemma said Saturday. “I say this to anybody who will listen: Yeah, guards control the game and, yes, it’s about your guards and, yes, [South Carolina guard] Destanni Henderson was probably the best player on the floor the other night.

But at the same time, I’ve never gone to the national championship game and not had one or two big guys who could dominate the game at either end, offensively or defensively. And a lot of times we’ve gone there and they dominated both ends.”

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Of course I don't want to get back to even I want UCONN to be bad for WCBB again. Having said that I disagree that an experienced big should be the priority. The primary reason i disagree is you have two players coming in that are capable of playing the post and Amari might also develop into a rotation players. We only have 3 guards total. Nika the presumptive non-starter among the three has not show the ability to play shooting guard at a UCONN level. We need another rotation guard more than we need another post IMO. UCONN cannot dictate tempo with three guards and Paige does not need to have another season where she averages over 36 MPG.
I agree with you but we have room for both should we find them. Heck, lousy in math that I am, maybe we have room for 3. However, I don't want to see us just populate the end of the bench and 1 year transfers are pretty shaky for sliding into the rotation.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree with you but we have room for both should we find them. Heck, lousy in math that I am, maybe we have room for 3. However, I don't want to see us just populate the end of the bench and 1 year transfers are pretty shaky for sliding into the rotation.
I honestly think the graduate transfer preference for UCONN has to take a back seat here. Not saying it is going to happen but this coming season might be Paige's last. If UCONN can get a quality player just do it already. Some of the best players in the portal have 2 or more years of eligibility remaining. Don't see the problem in getting a player than can help the team for more than one year.

Reaction Score
I honestly think the graduate transfer preference for UCONN has to take a back seat here. Not saying it is going to happen but this coming season might be Paige's last. If UCONN can get a quality player just do it already. Some of the best players in the portal have 2 or more years of eligibility remaining. Don't see the problem in getting a player than can help the team for more than one year.
What makes you think next season is her last? I may be all wrong but I was thinking with the money she's making now, she'd stay all four years and possibly even stick around for a covid fifth if she's still having fun........

Reaction Score
What makes you think next season is her last? I may be all wrong but I was thinking with the money she's making now, she'd stay all four years and possibly even stick around for a covid fifth if she's still having fun........
all the injuries she's gone through you really think she's going to risk an extra year to stay and lose on millions? Idc what she makes in college, it's nothing to the pro's. Especially with exclusive shoe deals in the Wnba. Plus what if someone like the Liberty get the 1st overall pick, who would pass on going to NY?

Reaction Score
The point is Paige MIGHT turn pro next year. She probably carries those endorsement deals with her when she leaves. A lot of her endorsement value is in her social media following. She probably makes more the minute she does go pro. The sooner she gets done with her rookie deal the faster she gets to negotiate bigger money. There are injury concerns as well. There is a very good chance she leaves next year folks.

Reaction Score
The point is Paige MIGHT turn pro next year. She probably carries those endorsement deals with her when she leaves. A lot of her endorsement value is in her social media following. She probably makes more the minute she does go pro. The sooner she gets done with her rookie deal the faster she gets to negotiate bigger money. There are injury concerns as well. There is a very good chance she leaves next year folks.
as long as she is healthy, unless UConn wins the NC next season, I just don't see it happening but what do I know.....:confused:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You couldn’t be more wrong. If we’ve learned anything about Paige it’s that she cares deeply about her teammates and coaches. I absolutely believe she will be here for another 2 years. If I was laying odds, I would bet there is a better chance that Paige stays for 5 years as opposed to leaving after 3.

Her NIL is worth 7 figures annually right now, and her exposure in college is far greater than the pros. I also believe Paige will make the summer Olympic team in 2024 immediately after her senior year, further enhancing her NIL value by earning a gold medal for her country. In addition, her best friend is a year behind her in college.

The W will always be there for Paige. But quite frankly, Paige doesn’t need the W.

Reaction Score
I’d just like to apologize unreservedly for injecting Brazil nuts into this debate.

There seems to be an unmoving divide about what is the team’s most urgent need. We must reach common ground before we can move to higher ground. So, can we all agree that false eyelashes should be banned? This may lead to a consensus that we need is a guard who can dunk.

Carnac

Reaction Score
the only "big" (and she's really not that big) in the portal that would make an appreciable difference in the quality of the team is Angel Reese and I doubt she is all that interested in the UConn "experience".......believe me, I'd love to be wrong about that........

Admittedly I don't follow Maryland WBB. I didn't know much about Reese, so I looked her up. She's got quite a resume. She couldn't be on all of the watch lists and All-American teams if she was an "average" player. Looking at her resume, I agree with you. I'd definitely welcome her to our program if she wanted to come........depending on why is leaving Maryland. She averaged 17.8/10.6 this past year. She led the team in scoring and she plays defense.

1650158777918.png
Angel Reese
  • POSITION Forward/Guard
  • HEIGHT 6-3
  • CLASS : Junior in the fall of 2022-2023
  • MAJOR Communication
  • HOMETOWN Baltimore, MD
  • HIGH SCHOOL St. Frances Academy
  • AP Third Team All-American (2022)
  • USBWA All-America Honorable Mention (2022)
  • Naismith Defensive Player of the Year Semifinalist (2022)
  • Wooden Award National Ballot (2022)
  • All-Big Ten First Team (2022)
  • All-Big Ten Defensive Team (2022)
  • Katrina McClain Award Finalist (2022)
  • WBCA Regional Finalist (2022)
  • All-Big Ten Freshman Team (2021)
  • Cheryl Miller Award Watch List (2020)
  • Big Ten Freshman of the Week (11/30/20)
  • Big Ten Player of the Week Honor Roll (11/15/21; 12/6/21; 12/13/21; 1/3/22; 2/7/22; 2/21/22; 2/28/22)
  • Baltimore Sun 25 Women to Watch List (2021)
  • Wooden Award Late Season Top 20 (2022)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom