Facey commits! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Facey commits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
as any of the names other people prefer to be our coach over Ollie ever land the level of recruits Ollie already has? in less than two years too

I think Facey is a good addition. To put it in perspective though Georgia Tech has the #23 recruiting class for 2013 on this date the last I checked. Georgia Tech has signed 1 recruit and that is Solomon Poole a SG ranked #50 by ESPN. It can easily be argued UConn is still out of the top 25 for 2013 classes with the addition of Facey #99. Still a really positive addition to the program!

XRM is our best shot as everyone knows.

caw

Reaction Score
Facey at most gets one year under Jim Calhoun so he better learn fast. I gave credit to Jim Calhoun for his ability to develop players. Not sure what more Uconn fans want from me here. Just saying that I've seen a lot of Facey and he's real raw and not a stud at this point. Good motor and solid athlete. And to repeat, SJU did not pursue him hard. SJU has quite a few other prospects they are more interested in than Facey and only one scholarship as of right now.

You are probably correct. SJU just had a huge (sizewise) class of what 7-8 players. Also had 7 last year, though only 5 returning. God's Gift is the lone senior and the rest have at least 2 years, correct? I also don't think any of SJU's players will be early entry, without vast improvements to their game.

SJU might as well swing for the fences and a top 25 recruit.

Facey may not be "a stud" player, but he is at a similar level of a player SJU brought in this year with Obekpa. Not quite the same game, but similar all around level, IMO.

SJU could do a lot worse than Facey, but with only one scholarship they might as well swing away and hope to get one of the studs in 2013.

Reaction Score
Calhoun will probably still be around the program after he retires. Just not as an in-game coach.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
as any of the names other people prefer to be our coach over Ollie ever land the level of recruits Ollie already has? in less than two years too

Still waiting to see the rankings but Iverson, Fahey and Calhoun are a great foundation going forward. Land a great Center (or 2) with that crowd and the next 2 years should play out fine.

Reactions: caw

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Facey at most gets one year under Jim Calhoun so he better learn fast. I gave credit to Jim Calhoun for his ability to develop players. Not sure what more Uconn fans want from me here. Just saying that I've seen a lot of Facey and he's real raw and not a stud at this point. Good motor and solid athlete. And to repeat, SJU did not pursue him hard. SJU has quite a few other prospects they are more interested in than Facey and only one scholarship as of right now.

not sure where you get your info to develop your opinion

but when Jim Calhoun wants him
when other top programs offer him
when he's rated top 100 by services

I tend to assume he's pretty good

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This makes sense. Loading Ollie up with elite talent so there will be a smooth transition.

It is a good plan. First, load up with elite talent...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just saying

We know your just sayin'. And it's getting tedious. A HS junior who is raw? I'm shocked. Sounds like we got a big kid on the come. That's a good thing.

Reaction Score
I think Facey is a good addition. To put it in perspective though Georgia Tech has the #23 recruiting class for 2013 on this date the last I checked. Georgia Tech has signed 1 recruit and that is Solomon Poole a SG ranked #50 by ESPN. It can easily be argued UConn is still out of the top 25 for 2013 classes with the addition of Facey #99. Still a really positive addition to the program!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
geeze, don't you ever have anything positive to say Frank?

Reaction Score

LOL

Reaction Score
Great news.......fast rising kid with a great motor and good length. Blocks shots and finishes around the rim...body is okay already and with work will be a beast.

Great news on the Husky home front and super job by the whole staff.... Herbst evidently put the KO on this one!

Great length, athleticism, high motor, and hard working at both ends of the floor were all I needed to hear. That's loads of potential. I think I'm in love!

Reaction Score
:D

The good Karma is flowing in Huskyland today! It appears the seed has been planted! The drama builds as X and Kuran ponder their futures!!!! Will UConn make a mad rush in the 2013 rankings firing up the charts into the Top 5 (we all know it would be top 3 regardless). In the alternative will these 2 prized recruits opt for another school at some point (not mentioning the obvious!). Hope abounds as Facey plants that seed! :)

Where will it take us no one knows! It could be the Gutter or the Penthouse! Place your bets!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Great length, athleticism, high motor, and hard working at both ends of the floor were all I needed to hear. That's loads of potential. I think I'm in love!

He is a great student which counts for quite a bit right now also. Emeka type of intellect! A good 4 year program guy is great to start a class!

Reaction Score
Measured 6'8.5 (in shoes) 191 lbs, with a 7'1.5 wingspan at the 2012 LeBron James Skills Academy. By the start of the 2013 season he should be up to 200-210. A nice energy guy off the bench as a 3-4 combo his freshman year and then a solid to very good starter for the next 3 years. These are the guys I love to get. If we can get 3-4 of these type and one star player that's a 2-3 year starter and then lottery pick to keep NBA success there, than that would be an ideal class for me.

caw

Reaction Score
Measured 6'8.5 (in shoes) 191 lbs, with a 7'1.5 wingspan at the 2012 LeBron James Skills Academy. By the start of the 2013 season he should be up to 200-210. A nice energy guy off the bench as a 3-4 combo his freshman year and then a solid to very good starter for the next 3 years. These are the guys I love to get. If we can get 3-4 of these type and one star player that's a 2-3 year starter and then lottery pick to keep NBA success there, than that would be an ideal class for me.

I don't think you want him as a combo 3/4, he is a straight 4 or if he gains muscle maybe a 5. He doesn't have the shooting or dribbling ability to play the 3 at all right now as a freshman.

Reaction Score
I don't think you want him as a combo 3/4, he is a straight 4 or if he gains muscle maybe a 5. He doesn't have the shooting or dribbling ability to play the 3 at all right now as a freshman.

Agree completely, We need to look smaller, not bigger, at the 3.

Hopefully in 2013 we'll be able to squeeze 70 minutes at the 4/5 out of Nolan, Olander, Wolf, and Facey. (I've left 10 minutes of going small with a guy like Giffey at the 4.)

Reaction Score
Welcome Kentan, now eat some pasta and cheesecake.

Reaction Score

I meant as an energy guy off the bench. He seems mobile enough to guard the 3 and tall enough to guard the 4. Put him with two ball handlers and couple of bigs and you can get a lot of rebounds and blocked shots. There is only one guy who can touch the ball at a time. My expectations of a big his freshman year are what can he bring in terms of defensive versatility and rebounding. It all depends on his genetics and work ethic. he could easily gain 20-25 lbs in the next 15 months if he has good genetics, but if he's naturally thin than there is no way he puts on enough size to play power forward in the big east.

caw

Reaction Score
I meant as an energy guy off the bench. He seems mobile enough to guard the 3 and tall enough to guard the 4. Put him with two ball handlers and couple of bigs and you can get a lot of rebounds and blocked shots. There is only one guy who can touch the ball at a time. My expectations of a big his freshman year are what can he bring in terms of defensive versatility and rebounding. It all depends on his genetics and work ethic. he could easily gain 20-25 lbs in the next 15 months if he has good genetics, but if he's naturally thin than there is no way he puts on enough size to play power forward in the big east.

Defensively he could probably defend against the bigger 3's. I think he can be like Roscoe defensively. Offensively, he is probably behind where Roscoe was.

EDIT: The good news is that I think Facey knows he's a post player (and he might have more spring than Roscoe).

Reaction Score
Roscoe Smith is exactly who I am thinking of as a comparison. Roscoe was touted as a shooter, but clearly struggled. However, he guarded the 3 and 4 well, rebounded on both ends, and was valuable in transition on offense + defense. Who knows how it will turn out, but clearly a good start to the class

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the thing i never got with roscoe is that he never improved his legs. as result his game on o suffered. in hs his hops put him about the competition. in college those hops made him just another player. he never seemed to bulk up legs wise and gain a couple more vert inches like other players his type do. that made his js tough with a hand in his face and his put backs were blocked a good amount. he always boxed out well and did good things, but i think roscoe has to get his legs stronger at unlv if he wants to get to the next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom