Facey and talent | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Facey and talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Just because there is one video of him making shots in an empty gym doesn't mean he's a year from pulling up for three. That video gave ppl the total wrong idea of kentan Facey.

Pulling up for jumpers: doesnt mean 3s booboo... He has shown his midrange game off the catch a few times this year even with a hand in his face.. Next year he will naturally be more confident and I think with the technique he already has and with the uconn staff (who has improved multipllllee players shots) he will start to create his own shot off the dribble and shoot more.... One great example of improvement and confidence would be Niels who would rarely pull the trigger and then he built up confidence over the years and he was one of the best in the nation...

And that video is still impressive for a previous cricket player :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
You heavily implied that you were talking about Brimah, although you didn't outright say it, so you have an out I guess.

I would love to know who else you were referring to with "walk and chew gum" comment if it isn't Brimah.

I didn't "heavily imply" anything, and frankly Brimah wasn't on my mind although, if we're being honest, sure, there are a bunch of people on here who overrate the kid to an insane degree. You're probably one of them. And, while we're at it, he's scoring the vast majority of his points off of lobs, turned into a defenders chest yesterday and only scored because he was 8 inches taller, and still doesn't rebound. But I digress, and won't mention the thread yesterday touting him as the #1 pick in next year's draft.

What I was actually saying, officer, is that this board tends to wildly inflate the prospects of anyone who shows even the slightest bit of potential (e.g. those people using the name "Terrence Samuel" and "NBA" in the same sentence) so it's a bit strange that a kid who has shown the productivity and promise that Facey has is continually referred to as "raw" by the cognoscenti, when he's made as rapid an improvement of anyone I can remember.

You might disagree. Feel free to edit my post to better capture what you think I was saying.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Please, Ern, don't bait Mau into having to explain to us once again why this is a bad idea.

I've been saying it for several weeks now, but Mau insists that we must keep a governor on Facey's development, especially on offense. I just figure I'm not smart enough to understand why.

I don't think Mau is that crazy right now. This team is still clearly a work in progress at this point on both ends. Offensively they're still trying to get everyone comfortable and get their roles defined. Once Ollie sees that Boat/Purvis/Hamitlon/Brimah are clicking, then I think you'll see Facey given more opportunities in the halfcourt offense. This is still a team working in an entirely new starting 5, who have only been together 6 games this entire season while also figuring out how to max out of the talents of Samuel, Nolan, Cassell and Calhoun. He obviously is never going to be one of the top 4 options, but I think we will see more run for him sometime in february.

Also, in terms of "raw", he has only been playing basketball since he was 15. He is 20 right now. He may look more fluid/competent that most projects, but he lacks the "basketball moves" you would expect from a complete player.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why folks are comparing Brimah's & Facey's progress this season, they are similar but different. Both have obviously made a big jump this year offensively. Are they inconsistent? Well, yeah, maybe... Their development on offense has been very apparent & seems to be building. I like what I see out of both of them. Developing confidence is key for both of them & it's evident. They came to UConn as defensive guys, but their offense has been coming along. They both have a shot better than advertised. The more confident they feel, the better the team does. I'm very impressed with their improvement as a whole (offense & defense). Brimah has tripled his offensive numbers & staying on the floor longer. Facey has doubled his offensive numbers & rebounds. Boat & DHam have been impressive. If Purvis develops as he has been these past couple of games, things are looking up! Brimah & Facey are holding the keys to the season & they are improving.

Reaction Score
I didn't "heavily imply" anything, and frankly Brimah wasn't on my mind although, if we're being honest, sure, there are a bunch of people on here who overrate the kid to an insane degree. You're probably one of them. And, while we're at it, he's scoring the vast majority of his points off of lobs, turned into a defenders chest yesterday and only scored because he was 8 inches taller, and still doesn't rebound. But I digress, and won't mention the thread yesterday touting him as the #1 pick in next year's draft.

What I was actually saying, officer, is that this board tends to wildly inflate the prospects of anyone who shows even the slightest bit of potential (e.g. those people using the name "Terrence Samuel" and "NBA" in the same sentence) so it's a bit strange that a kid who has shown the productivity and promise that Facey has is continually referred to as "raw" by the cognoscenti, when he's made as rapid an improvement of anyone I can remember.

You might disagree. Feel free to edit my post to better capture what you think I was saying.

I don't think I've ever said anything about Brimah in terms of his long term prospects at the NBA level, but thanks for telling me what I've said about him. He's the only guy on here who's consistently bandied about as a potential lottery pick, so yeah, when you say "t seems like this board is constantly elevating guys who can barely walk and chew gum to lottery pick, pantheon level status", it makes sense that Brimah is who you were talking about.

If you want to antagonize me for reading it that way, then whatever.

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
People are comparing our past PFs to Facey. Fine, but realize you are comparing someone who has played a handful of games as a Sophomore to Jr.s and Seniors. We don't know how good KF will be as a senior.
While he is not raw, he is still relatively new to the game and has a lot more potential.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't think Mau is that crazy right now. This team is still clearly a work in progress at this point on both ends. Offensively they're still trying to get everyone comfortable and get their roles defined. Once Ollie sees that Boat/Purvis/Hamitlon/Brimah are clicking, then I think you'll see Facey given more opportunities in the halfcourt offense. This is still a team working in an entirely new starting 5, who have only been together 6 games this entire season while also figuring out how to max out of the talents of Samuel, Nolan, Cassell and Calhoun. He obviously is never going to be one of the top 4 options, but I think we will see more run for him sometime in february.

Also, in terms of "raw", he has only been playing basketball since he was 15. He is 20 right now. He may look more fluid/competent that most projects, but he lacks the "basketball moves" you would expect from a complete player.
My point has never been to run the offense through him; it has only been to get him more touches. As for his innate fluidity and nose for the ball, I think that only bodes well for his ability to help move the ball through the middle on occasion. I saw this happen several times during the CCSU game and I liked the way it looked.

Reaction Score
No, I get you weren't talking about running the O through him, but I really think that with how poor the offense was, KO has been focused on getting the other players involved, knowing that Facey will work to get rebounds/keep possessions alive. I agree wholeheartedly in regards to putting him at the foul line when teams go zone. He did look good doing it against CCSU and did similar things last year against USF and UCF in the two blowouts. He is not a great passer, but he can make that shot which can kill a zone. Again, I think that is something we will see more games 18-30 once the offense is starting to hum.

I actually have a lot of confidence in Facey and think his production is really only going to go up from here with year-end averages of around 8 pts, 9 rbs. The best thing about Facey's rebounding, which someone else mentioned the other day, is that Brimah is often out of position bc he's going for the block, which means we rebound with 5, which kills the break. If Ollie can trust Facey and Hamilton to clean the glass, he can let one of the guards leak out and we can add a few desperately need fast break buckets.

Reaction Score
Facey looking like the only guy on the team with any legit post game. The only guy who knows where his feet should go when making a move with his back to the basket. Wonder if KO would let him take a wide open three once or twice a game?

Doesn't seem like he has the frame to carry much weight, but could be effective as 215-225lb college four.

Reaction Score
Facey has been deadly from the foul line. 10-12. That would support those who believe he is capable of developing a mid-range shot.

Additionally, if he could learn to draw fouls and get to the line for "and one" he would have a very nice all around inside game.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
I didn't see, went to sports bar to watch NFL and UConn game wasn't even on. I like Facey's effort, just not his skills or frame right now.

Hopefully we get Stone and this becomes a very mute point.

So, the mute points are the ones we don't talk about anymore, right? ;)

Reaction Score
Please, Ern, don't bait Mau into having to explain to us once again why this is a bad idea.

I've been saying it for several weeks now, but Mau insists that we must keep a governor on Facey's development, especially on offense. I just figure I'm not smart enough to understand why.

You want to pass it to him in the middle 10 feet away like the other day so he can turn and shoot? I'm in.........you want to give it to him anywhere further away you're not watching the games all that well I assume. I am not explaining I am shouting out fact - #1 when he gets it where he's not comfortable he doesn;t even look to the basket, he looks to hand it back to someone - that's fact no need for Mau to explain. #2 is he can't pass and he can't handle it well enough and that's assumption, or is it based on what everyone has seen? I know I'm not blind.

I mean c'mon guys you can't blind yourself with numbers here. He is a nice player near the basket, if you can draw up some plays to give to him in scoring spots down low or in the paint I'm all in. If further from the basket then the likelihood of positive results is diminished it really is that simple! Not at all a negative reflection on the kid, just keep to his strengths as they are working.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
you want to give it to him anywhere further away you're not watching the games all that well I assume.

That must be it. Staff must not be either, as he got it there last game at least a few times that I saw, and it sure looked like it was by design.

I guess I see innate fluidity, length, a nose for the ball and a nice touch and think, "Hey, maybe with some more touches, this kid could help move the ball through the middle on some sets, especially against a zone." You see a kid who can't pass, can't handle and doesn't look for his shot, and you want to further limit his touches, not increase them.

I think you're going to need to be even more agile than he is if you're going to continue to perform the mental gymnastics necessary to justify the limitations you have placed on him despite his apparent refusal to honor them.

Reaction Score
That must be it. Staff must not be either, as he got it there last game at least a few times that I saw, and it sure looked like it was by design.

I guess I see innate fluidity, length, a nose for the ball and a nice touch and think, "Hey, maybe with some more touches, this kid could help move the ball through the middle on some sets, especially against a zone." You see a kid who can't pass, can't handle and doesn't look for his shot, and you want to further limit his touches, not increase them.

I think you're going to need to be even more agile than he is if you're going to continue to perform the mental gymnastics necessary to justify the limitations you have placed on him despite his apparent refusal to honor them.

Yeah because you have it all figured out. Must have been you coaching this new sensation vs Yale and Columbia too huh? Leave him as what he is, not what you hope he will be. He may get there some day but for now my friend outside of what you have seen, he's not ready for your podium! Watch the game better please, it's not all that great yet, it's a lot better that's all! Geez

Reaction Score
Yeah because you have it all figured out. Must have been you coaching this new sensation vs Yale and Columbia too huh? Leave him as what he is, not what you hope he will be. He may get there some day but for now my friend outside of what you have seen, he's not ready for your podium! Watch the game better please, it's not all that great yet, it's a lot better that's all! Geez
Senility is sad.

Reaction Score
People are comparing our past PFs to Facey. Fine, but realize you are comparing someone who has played a handful of games as a Sophomore to Jr.s and Seniors. We don't know how good KF will be as a senior.
While he is not raw, he is still relatively new to the game and has a lot more potential.

I think the statement they're making is less about Facey and more about our overall dearth of talent.

Facey as a senior may very well be better than Gavin Edwards as a senior.

But Gavin Edwards was buried on the bench for 3 years because we had superior players starting ahead of him. Facey is thrust into a starting role in his 2nd year -- ready or not -- because we don't have enough talent on the roster for someone else to start ahead of him. (For what it's worth, I think Gavin Edwards as a sophomore is probably about as good as Facey is right now.)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Sometimes I read a thread like this and wonder if someone is going to criticize the guy who made the Shawn Marion comparison because there were too few of the letter "a" in his spelling of "faaaaar" that attempted to qualify things sufficiently.
Or perhaps someone might inject the phrase "credibly raw" as less hyperbolic than "incredibly raw" and more realistically descriptive of the works-in-progress that these sometimes "special" "kids" truly are.
C'mon, folks, get to work on this.

Reaction Score
I think the statement they're making is less about Facey and more about our overall dearth of talent.

Facey as a senior may very well be better than Gavin Edwards as a senior.

But Gavin Edwards was buried on the bench for 3 years because we had superior players starting ahead of him. Facey is thrust into a starting role in his 2nd year -- ready or not -- because we don't have enough talent on the roster for someone else to start ahead of him. (For what it's worth, I think Gavin Edwards as a sophomore is probably about as good as Facey is right now.)
Facey is way better than Edwards was as a sophomore and by the end of this year he'll be as good as Edwards was as a senior. There is this false idea that all those UConn teams were just oozing with talent and didn't have any scrubs. I'm not trying to denigrate any of these kids but Coombs-McDaniel,Donnell Beverly, Craig Austrie, Charles Okwandu and Gavin Edwards were not exactly major talents and Jamaal Trice, Darius Smith and Jonathan Mandeldove just did not belong at this level.

Reaction Score
Facey is way better than Edwards was as a sophomore and by the end of this year he'll be as good as Edwards was as a senior. There is this false idea that all those UConn teams were just oozing with talent and didn't have any scrubs. I'm not trying to denigrate any of these kids but Coombs-McDaniel,Donnell Beverly, Craig Austrie, Charles Okwandu and Gavin Edwards were not exactly major talents and Jamaal Trice, Darius Smith and Jonathan Mandeldove just did not belong at this level.

Edwards turned out to be a very solid player by his senior year. As a soph he wasn't as good as Facey is now I agree, but he also wasn't thrust into the starting role due to a weaker front court, instead biding his time behind some solid guys. The fact Kentan is getting quality PT is going to be great for him in the long run no doubt. Gavin was a pretty heady player but not nearly the athlete KF is, although Gavin surprised some of us with some dunks his last year. The ceiling is much higher for our guy now and that's a good thing because I liked Gavins game.

Reaction Score
Wow, a post with only one exclamation point. Congratulations.

Happy New Year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And congratulations to you for a post without something worthless on it, it's a start even for a dope. Oh yeah nice job calling someone "old" for their opinion and not explaining why you think so.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pulling up for jumpers: doesnt mean 3s booboo... He has shown his midrange game off the catch a few times this year even with a hand in his face.. Next year he will naturally be more confident and I think with the technique he already has and with the uconn staff (who has improved multipllllee players shots) he will start to create his own shot off the dribble and shoot more.... One great example of improvement and confidence would be Niels who would rarely pull the trigger and then he built up confidence over the years and he was one of the best in the nation...

And that video is still impressive for a previous cricket player :rolleyes:

No that's just wrong. Facey seems to be close to knocking down mid range shots off the catch. But too say he's going to have the ability to put it on the floor for pulls up seem crazy. I think maybe a turn and face jumper. But not putting it on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom