Facey and talent | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Facey and talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
It occurred to me recently, when experiencing the same, that he may be a creation of Tom and/or Fishy that, like the blocking software, increases the likelihood that you do log in.
Funny. I thought the same thing.

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score
K-Face is the only big on our team that can actually execute a move smoothly down low and finish in traffic.

If only Brimah had Facey's rebounding skills then he would actually be the lottery pick that this board loved to project him as this season.

I'm not opposed to having Facey step out and try to knock down some mid rangers but let's keep him close to the paint on most offensive possessions so that he can continue to attack the offensive glass

Reaction Score
Mike Hayes started, so did Marcus White. Gavin Edwards. There are a few teams he would have upgraded.
Gavin Edwards was from Gilbert AZ. I recall his high school coach had a hard time believing UConn has any interest in him as he felt he wasn't a legitimate D1 prospect. By his late junior and senior year he had developed into a decent player.
As a sophomore Facey is miles ahead of him.
The problem a lot of guys have with comparisons is their memory of each player is they tend to compare a raw player to another previous player at the apex of their development.
That is extremely unfair.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Facey = NY Gatorade player of the year.....kid has always showed talent and grit. He is one of the players who just needs game exposure to get better everything else is there. Once he starts hitting the jumper the pick and pop could be deadly

Reaction Score
I didn't see, went to sports bar to watch NFL and UConn game wasn't even on. I like Facey's effort, just not his skills or frame right now.

Hopefully we get Stone and this becomes a very mute point.

Funny that Husky91 hasn't chimed in after watching a nifty spin move in traffic and a step back 10 footer that was nothing but net. He just keeps getting better week to week (with an occasional half step back) and he will be a big part of a possible championship run next year if a few pieces fall into place.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
When Facey is older and more confident, he's going to be hitting jumpers too and will be an absolute nightmare for teams. He's active on the offensive glass and scores a good deal considering the mack of entry passes he receives. I think his senior year could be very impressive.

Reaction Score
Facey is incredible raw basketball wise. physically, he is talented. 6'9 and runs/jumps

Reaction Score
sledteam not passing any eye ballstests yet; even blind dudes would concur
lubin listed at sixfooot8 on tv graphic today, yet when he runs near tsam the too look to similar in stature; whus up, looks likes yet again rickee lesss recrootin jobber
ball rarely whipped into bigs yet when most receive wit except of amoeba; it hot potato head games and they whip it anywhere pronto which screems i donts wants it, get that dang thang away from me cuse i will f up and i knows it; amoeba gets it and defense know it never leaving his mitts; always predictable which is way non hoopsters plays cuse they not good

what ups wit newrip upfake ala stix...dis not goods omen; as predicted newrip knots 3 balls man; hebe regreesin to mean rapidity

am i seein tenpin bowlin.. purv drilled a bunch of candle sticks today on way past hoop on tangent to mens room it appeared, hebe trying for a wicked won and tsam luv to drive it but noticed facial expression as he nurd tin like i be done at that point and closed eyes to protect them so he never make shoot cuse he cant see then

aLOT OF activity wit no purpose, team not wit it and look like disarray of pop popgun vs aray of weaponry; slow movin parts or stationary purviewers so many time O is really trois on cinq

canoe canoe look like just got off dee boat wit 3 ball chucks vs bigger defender where he elevate to ski, then slight fade wit look of liittle hope on visage; %'s confirm

junior should be in grad school pronto for many moons

prreecher man on sides wit bad body cues all dee time; he now know he shoppin kmats

omar look good and lookin for anybody help

nolan listed wit no nil natta zero stats on ukonhukies dot comm; what the heck?

ihop still bunny

You know it was quaint and funny when you first started your free form BS schtick, but now the 'ole Jar Jar Binks routine has grown old and tired. Especially since it seems that you're now putting in greater thought and effort into what you're writing. YOU ARE NOT DR. SUESS!!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Facey is not "incredibly raw".

Incredibly raw is someone like Brimah who just doesn't even know which way to turn against better opposition whereas Facey belonged in the game against Duke. Facey has more rebounds in his 245 minutes than Brimah and Nolan have in their nearly 400 combined minutes. We have "raw" and "lack of talent" in our front court, but Facey is neither.

Facey's clearly quite talented, a rapidly increasing basketball IQ and he looks more than comfortable in his role - he's been a revelation this year.

And unlike guys like Cassell or Nolan or Lubin, he's not a kid who'd be out of place on some of our better rosters.

Reaction Score
As for the topic of the thread, Facey has the wiry strength, hustle, and most importantly, instincts to be a 10-8 type guy the rest of the year (likely without many/any plays called specifically for him. All while being our likely best rebounder. With a diversification of his game over his remaining time at UConn and some more confidence I could see him being a focal point of the offense by his senior year and being a double/double threat who avg's 15+ pts. I'm trying to think who he reminds me most of and Shawn Marion keeps coming to mind (obviously he is a faaaaaaar cry from that at this point).

Reaction Score
Kentan looked extremely smooth on his face up, step back jumper. He has good hands and is crafty finishing around the hoop. He is already great at attacking rebounds, something only him, DHam, and Boat have showed so far.

What he really needs is confidence, and this should only increase as he gets more minutes.

Reaction Score
It seems like this board is constantly elevating guys who can barely walk and chew gum to lottery pick, pantheon level status, and yet we've now got a guy in Facey who looks like he's on the cusp of becoming a very, very dangerous player and people are still talking about how raw he is. I don't see it. I'd actually like to see Ollie give him a bit of rope to be more involved in the offense.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'd actually like to see Ollie give him a bit of rope to be more involved in the offense.
Please, Ern, don't bait Mau into having to explain to us once again why this is a bad idea.

I've been saying it for several weeks now, but Mau insists that we must keep a governor on Facey's development, especially on offense. I just figure I'm not smart enough to understand why.

Reaction Score
It seems like this board is constantly elevating guys who can barely walk and chew gum to lottery pick, pantheon level status, and yet we've now got a guy in Facey who looks like he's on the cusp of becoming a very, very dangerous player and people are still talking about how raw he is. I don't see it. I'd actually like to see Ollie give him a bit of rope to be more involved in the offense.

I think some of it is on Facey tho, he doesn't really look for his own offense too much. Against Columbia Brimah took and made a jumper that was about a step inside the 3 point line, if Ollie is giving Brimah the leeway to take that kind of shot I think he would be fine with Facey taking a few jumpers(that stepback yesterday was nice) or facing up in the post instead of looking to immediately hand the ball off to the guards.

Reaction Score
I think some of it is on Facey tho, he doesn't really look for his own offense too much. Against Columbia Brimah took and made a jumper that was about a step inside the 3 point line, if Ollie is giving Brimah the leeway to take that kind of shot I think he would be fine with Facey taking a few jumpers(that stepback yesterday was nice) or facing up in the post instead of looking to immediately hand the ball off to the guards.
I'm fine with that if he doesn't take it every time it is given. Because it will be given to him as an open shot quite often and that would disrupt our offense. He should take it late in the shot clock or if all other options are cut off.

Reaction Score
I'm fine with that if he doesn't take it every time it is given. Because it will be given to him as an open shot quite often and that would disrupt our offense. He should take it late in the shot clock or if all other options are cut off.
If he's making that shot he will not disrupt the offense. He will make our offense harder to defend. I think he's needs to become a better more confident passer for Ollie to start feeding him more.

Reaction Score
lawl, brimah can barely walk and chew gum now? the guy who is the second most productive player on the team and anchors the defense?

Reaction Score
Brimah is a better jumpshooter and shot blocker than facey. Facey the better rebounder. both still raw.

Reaction Score
If he's making that shot he will not disrupt the offense. He will make our offense harder to defend. I think he's needs to become a better more confident passer for Ollie to start feeding him more.

Even if he makes a reasonable percentage, the majority of shots need to come from Boat, the Ferrari and DHam.

Reaction Score
lawl, brimah can barely walk and chew gum now? the guy who is the second most productive player on the team and anchors the defense?

You see the name Brimah anywhere in my post? Point it out. "Lawl."

Incidentally, I like Brimah a lot but Coppin State is Coppin State and Duke is Duke.

But I've just got to scratch my head and question your acumen if you legitimately think Facey is "incredibly raw." Especially when you're going on and on about Amida's jumpshot. I think he's made, what, four for the career?

Reaction Score
You see the name Brimah anywhere in my post? Point it out. "Lawl."

Incidentally, I like Brimah a lot but Coppin State is Coppin State and Duke is Duke.

But I've just got to scratch my head and question your acumen if you legitimately think Facey is "incredibly raw." Especially when you're going on and on about Amida's jumpshot. I think he's made, what, four for the career?

You heavily implied that you were talking about Brimah, although you didn't outright say it, so you have an out I guess.

I would love to know who else you were referring to with "walk and chew gum" comment if it isn't Brimah.

caw

Reaction Score
Gavin Edwards was from Gilbert AZ. I recall his high school coach had a hard time believing UConn has any interest in him as he felt he wasn't a legitimate D1 prospect. By his late junior and senior year he had developed into a decent player.
As a sophomore Facey is miles ahead of him.
The problem a lot of guys have with comparisons is their memory of each player is they tend to compare a raw player to another previous player at the apex of their development.
That is extremely unfair.

Agree with all of this but Facey wouldn't start over Senior Gavin which is the only year Gavin started.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Brimah is a better jumpshooter and shot blocker than facey. Facey the better rebounder. both still raw.
I'd rather have Facey take a 10 footer than Brimah. But yet again maybe Ollie makes Brimah takes these because he knows Facey will get the rebound whereas Brimah will not.

caw

Reaction Score

Brimah certainly looks better shooting the jumper this year, but only because Facey has only attempted less than a handful. Facey looked pretty solid in minimal attempts, in practice and in high school/AAU. I wouldn't necessarily hand that to Brimah yet.

That said, Brimah has improved immensely on the offensive end. He no longer looks completely lost on post-ups and can hit a jumper. Another summer and he might be able to make moves over both shoulders and maybe even a counter move.

Facey is all about getting PT and increasing his in-game awareness/IQ. He has a heck of a skill set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom