Evina's WNBA preseason game performance deserves her own thread after we gave one to Liv | The Boneyard

Evina's WNBA preseason game performance deserves her own thread after we gave one to Liv

Reaction Score
Quinn took Evina out of the game with 3:42 left in the 4th. Then a minute later with a 70-70 tie, she put Evina back in the game. Had to be thinking Evina's big game experience would kick in, and it did. Evina immediately drained a 3, collected 2 rbs, drained 2 free throws and sank a contested drive to the basket, then finished with the assist to Raina Perez at the buzzer.
Gotta make room for that kind of bravura... game on the line, roster spot on the line... and she does it in style.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With the W set to begin the season 1 week from today on May 6, I believe final cuts must be made by next Thursday, May 5 at 5:00 PM. Hoping for Evina & Liv to both make the grade.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Excerpt from Seattle Times article ( behind paywall):

The Seattle Storm play their last pre-season game against Phoenix at 10pm. This is the last chance rookies can impress their new coaches to make the final cuts. Evina Westbrook understands that she has to get the UConn stuff out of her head to focus in tonight’s game.
“A lot of young individuals don’t have that desire to do that on their own. It’s good to see her. It’s natural. It’s not that she’s trying to show us she can be a something she’s not. That’s who she is. There’s nothing better to see that,” spoke Noelle Quinn.
“The WNBA likes to tout its 144 players in the league, a number that it stitched into every jersey. But in reality, the WNBA will begin the regular season next week with about 138 players on team rosters.”
“In many ways, Thursday’s 7 p.m. preseason game against the Phoenix Mercury at Footprint Center is Westbrook’s last and best chance to make a favorable impression on the Storm before next week’s final roster cutdowns.”
“It’s definitely a big game for everyone trying to claim your spot,” said Westbrook, who is theoretically contending with veterans Jantel Lavender, Kennedy Burke, Mikiah “Kiki” Herbert Harrigan and Cunane for the final two roster spots. “You just got to go out there and play at the end of the day.”

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Excerpt from Seattle Times article ( behind paywall):

The Seattle Storm play their last pre-season game against Phoenix at 10pm. This is the last chance rookies can impress their new coaches to make the final cuts. Evina Westbrook understands that she has to get the UConn stuff out of her head to focus in tonight’s game.
“A lot of young individuals don’t have that desire to do that on their own. It’s good to see her. It’s natural. It’s not that she’s trying to show us she can be a something she’s not. That’s who she is. There’s nothing better to see that,” spoke Noelle Quinn.
“The WNBA likes to tout its 144 players in the league, a number that it stitched into every jersey. But in reality, the WNBA will begin the regular season next week with about 138 players on team rosters.”
“In many ways, Thursday’s 7 p.m. preseason game against the Phoenix Mercury at Footprint Center is Westbrook’s last and best chance to make a favorable impression on the Storm before next week’s final roster cutdowns.”
“It’s definitely a big game for everyone trying to claim your spot,” said Westbrook, who is theoretically contending with veterans Jantel Lavender, Kennedy Burke, Mikiah “Kiki” Herbert Harrigan and Cunane for the final two roster spots. “You just got to go out there and play at the end of the day.”
If it is 2 spots and the list is correct, It seems nothing special about Burke, Harrigan and I rather have a younger / cheaper Cunane than Lavender (same position I think) so that clears a space for E.

Reaction Score
If it is 2 spots and the list is correct, It seems nothing special about Burke, Harrigan and I rather have a younger / cheaper Cunane than Lavender (same position I think) so that clears a space for E.
Lavender isn't going to get much playing time if Russell comes back from injury.
Cunane has the ability to get better, and costs less. Evina also costs less, and has more all around ability, then Burke, or Harrigan.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It was a written quote from a conversation, so she didn't spell it. Absolutely obnoxious too, as if UConn has some academic pedigree. SMFH
As obnoxious as suggesting that UConn does not have an academic pedigree on a UConn board?

Not Me Whatever GIF by TLC Europe

Reaction Score
As obnoxious as suggesting that UConn does not have an academic pedigree on a UConn board?

Not Me Whatever GIF by TLC Europe
One was true. One wasn't. I'm actually a UConn fan and alumni too but I'm not so prideful as to be stupid about it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
One was true. One wasn't. I'm actually a UConn fan and alumni too but I'm not so prideful as to be stupid about it.
Respectfully disagree. If you are an alum and don’t think that UConn is a good academic university, I feel sorry for you, in all honesty.

Doubling down on your slight of Connecticut academics by calling people whose opinions differ with you stupid really isn’t a particularly good look.

Reaction Score
The Seattle Storm waived former NC State stars Elissa Cunane and Raina Perez today. Evina is still fighting for a roster spot. The Storm lists 6 guards, including Evina, among the remaining 15 players. They will get down to 11 players by Thursday.. I gotta say, she's looking good.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The Seattle Storm waived former NC State stars Elissa Cunane and Raina Perez today. Evina is still fighting for a roster spot. The Storm lists 6 guards, including Evina, among the remaining 15 players. They will get down to 11 players by Thursday.. I gotta say, she's looking good.
Yea I saw that. While Perez is a guard, I didn’t expect her to make the team. Hoping to see the Storm drop one of their veteran guards in the next day or so (obviously not Sue).

Evina has to survive 3 more days. Fingers crossed.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yea I saw that. While Perez is a guard, I didn’t expect her to make the team. Hoping to see the Storm drop one of their veteran guards in the next day or so (obviously not Sue).

Evina has to survive 3 more days. Fingers crossed.
I would cut Harrigan, Burke, Jade Melbourne (Aussie Rookie I never heard of??) and Epiphany Prince who I think has slowed alot. (2Yr 130K per year not guaranteed) Gets us down to our 11. No?

Reaction Score
I would cut Harrigan, Burke, Jade Melbourne (Aussie Rookie I never heard of??) and Epiphany Prince who I think has slowed alot. (2Yr 130K per year not guaranteed) Gets us down to our 11. No?
Epiphany Prince is probably the key since she is the back-up pg. A lot depends on the mix they decide on, 4 guards or 5? Burke is listed as a guard forward. Evina does have the advantage of experience defending 4 positions. And her defense (a UConn trait) probably gives her some separation from the others.

Reaction Score
Jade Melbourne is not playing in WNBA this year, she will come next year.

I agree I would cut Harrigan, Burke and Prince. Prince hardly play last year, and her wages is a lot higher than a rookie

Reaction Score
Melbourne is an Australian National team guard who is 19, and like Ezi did before staying there this year, and coming in next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom