Evina Westbrook to transfer | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Evina Westbrook to transfer

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We have another opening for a starter. Letting Crystal play off the ball some of the time would rest her a bit and let look for her shot more. That will help with scoring and we are going to have figure out more ways to ball in the net this year. UConn has had great success with two PG lineups on the men's side. I think Geno is going to utilizing this especially give our two new 2020 players.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
We have another opening for a starter. Letting Crystal play off the ball some of the time would rest her a bit and let look for her shot more.

Yes, but that starter won't be in the backcourt. Not with Dangerfield and Williams around. A three-guard lineup might work well against lesser AAC opponents but probably not against most of the non-conference ones.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Westbrook will start wherever she ends up and will likely play in a dual PG offense if she plays alongside another top PG like Slocum or Dangerfield. Oregon would be the best fit for her IMO, sliding in for Cazorla and playing alongside Ionescu in a high octane spread offense. She quickly improve decision making and passing skills too. The big downside of going there or to UCONN is that she's going to be a 4th option at either school, so she'll play a more reserved role after being a go to for Tennessee this past year.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Yes, but that starter won't be in the backcourt. Not with Dangerfield and Williams around. A three-guard lineup might work well against lesser AAC opponents but probably not against most of the non-conference ones.

3 guard lineup has worked well for a lot of championship teams. Look at 2018 Mississippi State...they nearly won it all with 3 undersized guards, a wing and 1 post. UCONN's lineup of Dangerfield/Westbrook/Williams/Walker/ONO puts them strongly in the title hunt. Walker has size and strength to play the 4, and both Westbrook/Williams are big powerful guards. Westbrook is a good rebounder too. Plus if ONO makes strides she'll provide a true post presence that has been missing from the starting lineup the past 3 years.

Reaction Score
3 guard lineup has worked well for a lot of championship teams. Look at 2018 Mississippi State...they nearly won it all with 3 undersized guards, a wing and 1 post. UCONN's lineup of Dangerfield/Westbrook/Williams/Walker/ONO puts them strongly in the title hunt. Walker has size and strength to play the 4, and both Westbrook/Williams are big powerful guards. Westbrook is a good rebounder too. Plus if ONO makes strides she'll provide a true post presence that has been missing from the starting lineup the past 3 years.

I agree, wouldn’t even be surprised to see Westbrook get a triple double or two, she’s a good rebounder. I still think UConn will need a post player off the bench in case Liv gets into foul trouble.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

I still think that lineup is too perimeter oriented. Walker has yet to take advantage of her inside skills at UConn, preferring to do a lot of standing around the 3-pt line.

Reaction Score
I think if you bring in Westbrook you make us more dangerous if you bring Cooks as well. She can spell ONO and you don't lose size. Just a thought... Of course, the same would be true if we get the young lady from Poland. Go Huskies!

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I still think that lineup is too perimeter oriented. Walker has yet to take advantage of her inside skills at UConn, preferring to do a lot of standing around the 3-pt line.

Williams and Westbrook are both excellent at taking the ball to the basket. Walker will improve and be relied upon more offensively inside the arc. Plus ONO gives you an inside presence.

As it stands right now, the likely option if Westbrook is ineligible would be Kyla Irwin or Aubrey Griffin. Westbrook is a serious upgrade from either player.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I agree, wouldn’t even be surprised to see Westbrook get a triple double or two, she’s a good rebounder. I still think UConn will need a post player off the bench in case Liv gets into foul trouble.

Definitely. Camara is the only potential option off the bench right now if ONO gets into foul trouble, and she has been unreliable so far at UCONN as a backup (injuries, foul prone, etc.)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Williams and Westbrook are both excellent at taking the ball to the basket. Walker will improve and be relied upon more offensively inside the arc. Plus ONO gives you an inside presence.

As it stands right now, the likely option if Westbrook is ineligible would be Kyla Irwin or Aubrey Griffin. Westbrook is a serious upgrade from either player.

I don't think UConn is only looking at Westbrook. There will likely be other options. You'd be putting an enormous amount of pressure on ONO and Walker to both defend the interior and rebound, both of which were issues this past season. That's danger territory again quality teams with size.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I don't think UConn is only looking at Westbrook. There will likely be other options. You'd be putting an enormous amount of pressure on ONO and Walker to both defend the interior and rebound, both of which were issues this past season. That's danger territory again quality teams with size.

I agree more players should be considered aside from Westbrook, especially since there is zero post depth, but I dont think anyone on the transfer market is going to beat out Westbrook for a starting spot in the starting 5. A good forward/post could easily get 15-20 mpg to spot ONO/Walker.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So, who would everyone rather have-Kitija Laksa or Evina Westbrook? Granted Laksa would be only for a year.
My preference is Laksa as I want to get Fudd and with Muhl and Makurat and Westbrook might be a wrench in my plans....:rolleyes:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
So, who would everyone rather have-Kitija Laksa or Evina Westbrook? Granted Laksa would be only for a year.
My preference is Laksa as I want to get Fudd and with Muhl and Makurat and Westbrook might be a wrench in my plans....:rolleyes:

Can never have too many guards. I don’t think Westbrook would have any effect on the others. Different classes for all. We can’t complain about depth and then say we have too much.
All that being so i agree—another post player is needed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom