Evina Finishes Rehab Thread morphed into another Who Starts Next Year Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Evina Finishes Rehab Thread morphed into another Who Starts Next Year Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Just wondering which freshman are you "wondering" why a poster chose her to start? :)

Secondly, in 18-19 did you expect Coombs or Bent to start over CWill?

In 15-16, you were expecting Gabby to start over Katie Lou as the season progressed?

Bueckers and Edwards - I’ve read several posts that seriously suggest these two SHOULD start, and Anna should come off the bench. :confused: Besides Edwards, none of the freshmen have proven (at this point) they can play against elite players at this level consistently. I prefer experience over potential that has not been shown or proven yet. Don’t tell me, show me! Freshmen leave all of the glory and accolades achieved in high school at the door when they enter the Werth Center.

Griffin has 32 games under her belt. Westbrook has over 60. My starting 5 are ONO, Williams, Makurat, Griffin and Westbrook to begin the season. Changes can be made to that unit as the season progresses and individual play demands.

Paige can start when/if she proves she can be a floor general for this team, and a leader her teammates will follow. She hasn’t done that yet. What's the hurry? When she’s ready, Geno will start her. I simply don’t believe in anointing her, and tossing her the keys to the program the first time she walks into the gym. New teammates, new system, faster speed/pace. She has to make some adjustments. If she can do that in 3 weeks, great. I don’t care what players that came before her did. That has nothing to do with her. I, like so many others expect Paige to be one of the best players to put on a UConn uniform, but all in due time. No need to rush.

This is May. In late October (after 3 weeks of practice) my choice for a starting 5 may change. Right now, I like the 5 mentioned above to begin the season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not that my opinion means anything but I'll stick my nose in here just for the fun of it!
PG - Paige -Geno loves her as a player, from her cockiness to her BB IQ even as a freshman!
SG - Evina - If she were eligible last season she would have started if healthy. She brings much needed experience! She is much better than her TN time showed! With all that UCONN has she'll shine!
W/SF - CW - Will revert back to the player that was dependable previous to last year!
PF - Anna - She is a raw gem that waits to be cut and polished. Her upside that she showed late will only get better!
C - Ono - Another player that will improve in leaps & bounds over last season! If healthy greatness beckons!
Off-the-bench- Griffin will show a much improved offensive side to add to her defensive quickness! Geno loves a "game-changer" which Griffin definitely is!
Edwards- She has the potential to be an Asjha Jones type player! A physical clone to Asjha!
Nika - Has experience from her pro background can be a real dark horse surprise if she learns Geno's system quickly!
Mir - is another that athletically can advance as fast as she learns!
Piath - Is another player that if her learning curve is high she can get minutes subbing for Ono!

Reaction Score
Never mind defense but offense-
This past year Meg Walker was the PF.
Then look at someone like Morgan Tuck who was the PF. Look at her sr year vs Meg Walker's jr.
Meg Walker 35% of her shot attempts were from 3. As for her 2 pt attempts she shot 49%.
Morg Tuck 25% of her shot attempts were from 3. As for her 2 pt attempts she shot 58%.

Meg Walker was forced - because she was so small- to take a lot of 3's. How many elite teams have their PF taking so many 3's? Unless you have Maya Moore. By taking so many 3's from their PF it's clear they were playing a different style vs what Morgan Tuck was doing (i/e scoring more from 2 - probably much more scoring in the paint.)

Would you agree there is a big difference between the 2?
---------------
:) Odd I would think "old school" would be more likely to see separation between a PF and a SF. :)
In regards to the bold-- I disagree with you jonathan and anyone else that doesn't think her game was forced. OFC it wasn't forced vs the worse teams but vs the elite teams-- absolutely. And it had everything to do with size. Why do you think teams that were big and elite in part had so much success vs UCONN these past couple of years? And what do the better big sized elite teams usually do pretty well defensively? They defend the paint. It's not all about Walker and her game. It's also about the opposition and how they want to defend. When they go "big" they are "challenging" the small Meg Walkers to beat them from the perimeter while they ensure Meg Walker will get very few inside baskets, They force Meg Walker into being a one-dimensional offensive player. It's okay to be one-dimensional but some one-dimensional players are invincible to stop. Other aren't. Which is why in part Meg Walker went 8th in the draft and not 1st, 2nd or 3rd etc. Though 8th is very good.

As far as you bringing up Stewart? :) :) I say this in fun-- What?:):) What? :):) Are you saying you can't recognize the difference between Stewart's inside game vs Walker's? I'm sure you do - so scratch that question and I just got to ask why are you comparing Stewart to Dolson as if it has anything to do with my post about Walker being "forced?" What does that have a thing to do with my comment about Walker? You realize Stewart could score inside vs anyone, right? You realize Walker can't, right? :):) I just don't understand how you're analogy of Stewart vs Dolson makes any sense vs Walker. Stewart could score anytime vs anyone inside and out as she got increasingly older. Walker couldn't. Why couldn't Walker score inside vs the elite teams much? Because she was too small. So yeah size has everything to do with it. It's not just about height though. Size also means bulk. Walker had none. . :) Am I missing something here? Because I don't know why you and joanathan and others don't agree. And please don't take my post as being "hostile." It isn't. The other stuff on your posts and overall with Paige I'm with you on. Big time. :)

In terms if the italics I agree with you. It is also fun to project who would play best with one another. Which combination of 5 is best. That's why I'm so excited about this upcoming year. With 6 new players -- so many possibilities.

As far as the underlined, I'm with ya 100%. Paige is going to be tremendous though I won't be as specific as you are. At worst she'll be an Honorable Mention A/A. As a freshman pg at UCONN, we are going to see something that we've never seen before. She is part of that 5 you spoke of. And others will make her better too.

I'm not sure what your criticism is about. You compared 2 players at one position from different years who had different shot selection %'s at the same position and that was the total rational for your POV.

OK ...
Comparing 2015 (Tuck's junior year) with 2020 (walker's junior year) I calculated that 3's were 32% of UConn's shots. In 2020 the number is 35%. So basically, as a team, UConn shot 3's at the same rate as in 2020. In 2015 UConn's front court of Stewart/Tuck made 51-168 3's, a mediocre 30%. In 2020 ONO and Walker made 78-180 or 43% of their combined 3's. (ONO was 0-7)

Maybe that mean Walker shot a lot more 3's because she was GOOD at it, and that Tuck and Stewart shot them a lot less in 2015 because they weren't very good at it (and they had KML) and it follows that Walker shot a lot more not because she she was bad inside as you claim but rather because she was a very good 3 pt shooter. (notice I said maybe)

And in 2020 Walker shot 50% from 2 so any thoughts that she was too short to be effective from 2 has little to base that on.

Reaction Score
Bueckers and Edwards - I’ve read several posts that seriously suggest these two SHOULD start, and Anna should come off the bench. :confused: Besides Edwards, none of the freshmen have proven they can play against elite players at this level consistently.

No

And no.

I am one of them that you're wondering about. I think Paige should start but if she gets many minutes instead -- okay. And maybe for 1st few non-big games - but how is that different than CWill starting or Katie Lou starting?

Further, I don't buy the talk so much of Paige struggling vs all the others. There is not one lock 1st team all-american on this team nor is there even a lock for an A/A. These kids aren't pros. Freshmen aren't the only players who struggle.

Who do you think more likely to be an A/A this year? Paige or Anna?

For the record I would love to get both to start. My issue is "I don''t know what Evina is."

I love your posts and I get "Missouri . . ." But when is the time when you see a player in H/S when you say "That kid has got to start (or get big minutes.)?" The way I look at it -- I am soooooo impressed moreso than any H/S kid I've seen since Maya (not saying she is Maya and i didn't see Stewie at all in H/S).

This is the most acclaimed recruit since Stewart. And we've seen CWill and Katie Lou have success as frosh starters. Why such a leap to think that Paige shouldn't start if you think what you've seen on tape backs up her acclaim, and you've seen freshman excel in the past? Anna was a fine starter this past year- why can't Paige be this year?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what your criticism is about. You compared 2 players at one position from different years who had different shot selection %'s at the same position and that was the total rational for your POV.

OK ...
Comparing 2015 (Tuck's junior year) with 2020 (walker's junior year) I calculated that 3's were 32% of UConn's shots. In 2020 the number is 35%. So basically, as a team, UConn shot 3's at the same rate as in 2020. In 2015 UConn's front court of Stewart/Tuck made 51-168 3's, a mediocre 30%. In 2020 ONO and Walker made 78-180 or 43% of their combined 3's. (ONO was 0-7)

Maybe that mean Walker shot a lot more 3's because she was GOOD at it, and that Tuck and Stewart shot them a lot less in 2015 because they weren't very good at it (and they had KML) and it follows that Walker shot a lot more not because she she was bad inside as you claim but rather because she was a very good 3 pt shooter. (notice I said maybe)

And in 2020 Walker shot 50% from 2 so any thoughts that she was too short to be effective from 2 has little to base that on.

Yes I compared the 2. How many more pf's of successful teams in the past from UCONN do you think I can show that would highlight pf's generally shoot over 50% from 2? I chose one but I could "show a novel of them" for the past successful teams of UCONN had PF's shoot from UCONN history shoot above 50% from 2.

Secondly, why are you calculating "team?" Please keep the conversation on Walker. That was my point. Walker. Not team. I'm specifically telling you that Walker couldn't not score inside form 2 pt range from 2 vs the elite teams. What does team have a thing to do with that point? I'm shocked you are coming at me this and putting up a fight. :)

Walker was GOOD/overall GREAT in her jr year overall. But vs the top 3 she shot a a combined 5-21 from 3 which is 23.81%. Overall she was 13-47 shooting 27.66% from the floor, 30.77% from 2. Her combined EFG% was 32.98%. IS it just coincidence that she shot so lousy vs the top 3 teams? Are we not going to give credit that the top 3 teams played a certain type of defense that affected her? SO she wasn't "GOOD" vs the top 3 teams, right?

And she did NOT shoot 50% from 2 in 2020 she shot 49%. With all the talent on the team she can't even shoot above 50% from 2. It is exactly due to size. How many starting UCONN pf's do we need to go back on to see if they shot over 49%. In the past 20 years you want a bet for players that started that Walker would be near the bottom for 2pt fg% on a top 10 team? How is it such a terrific shooter such as walker could be near the bottom in 2 pt fg% over the past 20 years? Because she is short and can't get easy baskets. You have to give the opposing teams credit for that. Even one UCONN's worst year 04-05 - Charde's rookie year she shot better than Walker did from 2.

What data do you have to support that she shot well vs the elite teams? She only shot rounding up 31% from 2 vs the elite 3. How is that GOOD? What data do you have to support that 49% from 2 is any good in comparison to UCONN History from a pf? :)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I am one of them that you're wondering about. I think Paige should start but if she gets many minutes instead -- okay. And maybe for 1st few non-big games - but how is that different than CWill starting or Katie Lou starting?

Further, I don't buy the talk so much of Paige struggling vs all the others. There is not one lock 1st team all-american on this team nor is there even a lock for an A/A. These kids aren't pros. Freshmen aren't the only players who struggle.

Who do you think more likely to be an A/A this year? Paige or Anna?

For the record I would love to get both to start. My issue is "I don''t know what Evina is."

I love your posts and I get "Missouri . . ." But when is the time when you see a player in H/S when you say "That kid has got to start (or get big minutes.)?" The way I look at it -- I am soooooo impressed moreso than any H/S kid I've seen since Maya (not saying she is Maya and i didn't see Stewie at all in H/S).

This is the most acclaimed recruit since Stewart. And we've seen CWill and Katie Lou have success as frosh starters. Why such a leap to think that Paige shouldn't start if you think what you've seen on tape backs up her acclaim, and you've seen freshman excel in the past? Anna was a fine starter this past year- why can't Paige be this year?

If you have seen Paige play “in-person” then I can understand your wanting her to start. If she comes in and blows everyone away in practice, and demonstrates enough knowledge and understanding of the system to warrant being promoted to a starter, then I would be OK with it. That hasn't happened yet. I expect Geno to put 5 players on the floor that give his team the best chance to win.

This is an exercise that we do every year about this time in the boneyard. We have fun with it. The first exhibition game is 5 months away, assuming they begin the season on time. Today, May 28th, Geno has no idea who will start. We all have an idea, but we’re guessing.

We won’t see them in practice everyday once it begins. I expect 1-2 of the freshmen to stand out in practice and impress the coaches. If they do, they’ll be doing it against some of the best players in the country, not against high schoolers. I’m confident as you should be that if Paige deserves to start, she will. She’s got to show me! She has not done that yet. If she can come in and make the adjustment to the faster speed of the game, adjust to playing with and making plays against bigger and faster players than she saw in high school with new teammates, then her accomplishments will speak for themselves. We’re not there yet.

Maybe she will impress Gino those first three weeks of practice and he does start her. We should begin to get reports from the UConn women beat writers after the first week. Then we’ll all have a better idea of who Geno sends out on the floor for their first exhibition game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you have seen Paige play “in-person” then I can understand your wanting her to start. If she comes in and blows everyone away in practice, and demonstrates enough knowledge and understanding of the system to warrant bring promoted to a starter, then I would be OK with it. That hasn't happened yet. I expect Geno to put 5 players on the floor that give his team the best chance to win.

This is an exercise that we do every year about this time in the boneyard. We have fun with it. The first exhibition game is 5 months away, assuming they begin the season on time. Today, May 28th, Geno has no idea who will start. We all have an idea, but we’re guessing.

We won’t see them in practice everyday once it begins. I expect 1-2 of the freshmen to stand out in practice and impress the coaches. If they do, they’ll be doing it against some of the best players in the country, not against high schoolers. I’m confident as you should be that if Paige deserves to start, she will. She’s got to show me! She has not done that yet. If she can come in and make the adjustment to the faster speed of the game, adjust to playing with and making plays against bigger and faster players than she saw in high school, then her accomplishments will speak for themselves. We’re not there yet.

Maybe she will impress Gino those first three weeks of practice and he does start her. We should begin to get reports from the UConn women beat writers after the first week. Then we’ll all have a better idea of who Geno sends out on the floor for their first exhibition game.

I don't understand your cautious points here., Why you feel I must watch her in person is one thing right off the bat I don't understand or agree with. I didn't have to see Maya in person. It was just one H/S game. And it wasn't just me that saw that one H/S game. A lot of us knew. I can remember I was on the old ESPN Board at the time. All of us UCONN fans on that site were on fire - absolutely amazed how awesome Maya was.

Anyhow starting isn't important until they lose. And I never liked the idea of not starting Maya. No way will I whine about it if he doesn't start Paige. Geno wins. That is awesome. With that said- imo I know she is super and imo it's why people like Rebecca asked about him about Paige in the manner she did. It is no advantage for Geno to build up Paige. So ofc he is going to be neutral. A coach should always be cautious about frosh players unless the coach is trying to sell tickets etc. But us fans don't have to be like a coach. We aren't a coach. And there is no reason with Geno's personality would he ever give a hoot what anyone else other than his inner circle says. So I don';t understand your points or how you feel in some manner surprised that some of us think that Paige is going to be a beast. Anyhow nice talk!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Here's Geno's thoughts on Evina before the start of last season and before her waiver was denied:

"I don't know where her biggest strengths lie. I don't know whether Evina wants to be, or sees herself, as a playmaker and then a scorer, or a scorer and then a playmaker. She works hard, I know that. Defensively, I don't know where she fits in. Right now we're going to wait and see."

I look forward to hearing Geno's thoughts on where he sees Evina playing. Maybe he's still not certain. Like you, I'm not a fan of Evina playing primarily at the point.
We all so have to see what “the season” looks like. As talented as Paige is, I think that you have to give her some time to adapt to the game speed and the athleticism of a high Division I player. Normally for freshman that really doesn’t happen until we are into conference play. If there is a season at all this year, I’m not confident that it will begin before January. If that’s the case, then that may week change roles and Evina may be our best option at point.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don't understand your cautious points here., Why you feel I must watch her in person is one thing right off the bat I don't understand or agree with. I didn't have to see Maya in person. It was just one H/S game. And it wasn't just me that saw that one H/S game. A lot of us knew. I can remember I was on the old ESPN Board at the time. All of us UCONN fans on that site were on fire - absolutely amazed how awesome Maya was.

Anyhow starting isn't important until they lose. And I never liked the idea of not starting Maya. No way will I whine about it if he doesn't start Paige. Geno wins. That is awesome. With that said- imo I know she is super and imo it's why people like Rebecca asked about him about Paige in the manner she did. It is no advantage for Geno to build up Paige. So ofc he is going to be neutral. A coach should always be cautious about frosh players unless the coach is trying to sell tickets etc. But us fans don't have to be like a coach. We aren't a coach. And there is no reason with Geno's personality would he ever give a hoot what anyone else other than his inner circle says. So I don';t understand your points or how you feel in some manner surprised that some of us think that Paige is going to be a beast. Anyhow nice talk!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!

Maya's physicality and overall intensity gave her a far bigger margin to succeed from game 1. Paige's game is more finesse which may give her issues when moving up in physicality to college athletes. Also, the difficulty of PG at UConn is well documented. Let Paige grow into her role and get her confidence outside the microscope. No need to rush her in for game 1

Reaction Score
PG- Westbrook. Starts at pg but shifts when Paige enters. (25-30 mpg)

SG- Williams- the most experienced returner. This is her spot and she’ll get 30-35 mpg.

SF- Makurat. She fits the KML/KLS stretch the floor wing prototype. I wouldn’t be surprised to see her average 17+ ppg and see 30 mpg. She’s the player I’m most excited about for the upcoming season.

PF- Griffin. Experience wins out to start the season. Hopefully she has expanded her offensive game. 20-22 mpg

C- Nelson-Ododa- she is our only experienced player with size. She is going to be so important to the success of the team. 30-35 mpg.

First off the bench should be Paige. The good news is our starting 1-3 can all be interchangeable at those positions... so when Paige is in, Paige is the PG. likely 25mpg as a freshman.

Edwards could be our surprise player. She could realistically start but I think her services will be used from the bench. She is most needed as a 4 this year so that is where I expect to see her.

that gives us a rotation of 7. I’m not so sure where the remaining 3 freshman fit in. In a crowded backcourt, it will be fun to see Nika compete for minutes. Paith could provide huge minutes as a breather for Ono, but I don’t think she’s college ready. Mir is a big question mark to me. She could find herself playing a ton, or stuck fighting for time on the court.

it will be interesting with so many new faces
Good analysis but I don't think the rotation will be limited to 7 in the regular season because I think Geno and staff will want to continue the late season rebirth last year caused by the full court press and pressure in the front court. The easiest way for everyone to get playing time is to press and he has the athletes to do it this year. BTW, I'm a big Nika fan. I think she has a huge upside and is similar in that respect to Anna as a player that played professionally and has to adapt to a different style in college. It will be interesting to see if Nika finishes on her drives unlike Anna this year or whether it is just part of the international drive for guards not to.

Reaction Score

OK ...

I didn't take Hoophuskee's comments regarding Walker playing the power forward position as any more than a factual assessment. Great 3-point shooter her junior year that stayed outside on offense. I would have liked to see a more traditional "4" like Morgan Tuck since it opens up room for the guards. Many comment on this team's lack of movement. When you have 4 outside players, this happens.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Maya's physicality and overall intensity gave her a far bigger margin to succeed from game 1. Paige's game is more finesse which may give her issues when moving up in physicality to college athletes. Also, the difficulty of PG at UConn is well documented. Let Paige grow into her role and get her confidence outside the microscope. No need to rush her in for game 1
And yet PG, more than any other position, have started as freshmen at UConn. And Moore, despite Auriemma's off the cuff claim, was not the only freshmen ready for college ball from day one.

In particular I will bring up Rizzotti again. Perhaps she suffers in these discussions from it being too long ago? From a talent viewpoint she was ready; she had her second best season statistically as a freshmen, better than her junior year that won the championship. Yet that is not the striking part of how she was ready. From day one she took charge of a team that already had Lobo. She got into teammate's faces from day one if they needed it and infused everyone (except Elliott, who did not need it) with her intensity. In a sense, she was more ready than even Moore from day one (not a better player, just suited for her role).

Whether Bueckers starts or not I think hinges on this. She appears to be like Rizzotti in her leadership qualities. If she is it is not only to the advantage of the current team but the program as a whole that she starts as soon as possible, as that signifies she has been given the reins. I do not know if that will be the case, no one does, but the evidence certainly points that way.

This is the factor that counts most. Not her relative talents or experience, but just how naturally she is meant to be the leader of a team.

Reaction Score
Good analysis but I don't think the rotation will be limited to 7 in the regular season because I think Geno and staff will want to continue the late season rebirth last year caused by the full court press and pressure in the front court. The easiest way for everyone to get playing time is to press and he has the athletes to do it this year. BTW, I'm a big Nika fan. I think she has a huge upside and is similar in that respect to Anna as a player that played professionally and has to adapt to a different style in college. It will be interesting to see if Nika finishes on her drives unlike Anna this year or whether it is just part of the international drive for guards not to.
Lots of good points from both. The rotation of 7 is in my opinion a worst case scenario. Not a bad worst case scenario, but one with 7 good to very good players, and some playing minutes a few more than would be ideal. That also limits the ability to get out and go and press for more than a few minutes.

The best case scenario is Geno feeling confident enough to use all 10 players in a contested game, and both Paige & Edwards starting because they earned it in camp. If that happened starters minutes could be upper 20's, both the starters and the bench could break more, and press for much of the game . You would have two superstars off the bench at a minimum (Anna or Evina, plus Aubrey) with Nika a decent probability of making that 3, and hopefully in Mir and Piath players that are way better than other teams 9th and 10th players.

Regardless of who starts, the most likely scenario in my opinion is that Nika proves Geno has to give her minutes and is great off the bench, Mir does enough to be an asset off the bench, and Piath will be not ready for prime time yet. In that situation with four trusted off the bench combined with keeping one starter on the floor, you could have an aggressive second unit and reduce starter minutes to a more optimal level.

I was a little disappointed in the productivity of Williams and Dangerfield last year, but have to take into account that they and Walker played about 35 minutes a game. Geno preferred a tired starter to a fresh Kyla or Molly. Last year we had one bench player you wanted to use (Griffin) and two that he had to use some but really didn't want to. The rest of the bench was considered mop up time only.

I am hoping CW in particular is helped by not having to play extended minutes. If Edwards can back up Olivia reasonably well or Piath surprises, maybe Olivia can play without being so concerned with foul trouble. But for everyone on the floor, have the capability of playing full out aggressive without having to hold back because of excessive minutes, or because of foul concerns because of a weak bench.

Reaction Score
Yes I compared the 2. How many more pf's of successful teams in the past from UCONN do you think I can show that would highlight pf's generally shoot over 50% from 2? I chose one but I could "show a novel of them" for the past successful teams of UCONN had PF's shoot from UCONN history shoot above 50% from 2.

Secondly, why are you calculating "team?" Please keep the conversation on Walker. That was my point. Walker. Not team. I'm specifically telling you that Walker couldn't not score inside form 2 pt range from 2 vs the elite teams. What does team have a thing to do with that point? I'm shocked you are coming at me this and putting up a fight. :)

Walker was GOOD/overall GREAT in her jr year overall. But vs the top 3 she shot a a combined 5-21 from 3 which is 23.81%. Overall she was 13-47 shooting 27.66% from the floor, 30.77% from 2. Her combined EFG% was 32.98%. IS it just coincidence that she shot so lousy vs the top 3 teams? Are we not going to give credit that the top 3 teams played a certain type of defense that affected her? SO she wasn't "GOOD" vs the top 3 teams, right?

And she did NOT shoot 50% from 2 in 2020 she shot 49%. With all the talent on the team she can't even shoot above 50% from 2. It is exactly due to size. How many starting UCONN pf's do we need to go back on to see if they shot over 49%. In the past 20 years you want a bet for players that started that Walker would be near the bottom for 2pt fg% on a top 10 team? How is it such a terrific shooter such as walker could be near the bottom in 2 pt fg% over the past 20 years? Because she is short and can't get easy baskets. You have to give the opposing teams credit for that. Even one UCONN's worst year 04-05 - Charde's rookie year she shot better than Walker did from 2.

What data do you have to support that she shot well vs the elite teams? She only shot rounding up 31% from 2 vs the elite 3. How is that GOOD? What data do you have to support that 49% from 2 is any good in comparison to UCONN History from a pf? :)

What a tome! Remember you started this by using a 3 pt stat to "prove" that Walker was too short to play the 4, whatever that means. It supported your POV but was hardly proof and my "data" gave a different picture. I'm not claiming my POV is right or better, just that it's a different perspective, and I gave more stat support than you did originally. As far as "team" stuff, last time I looked BB was played 5X5. What each player is doing effects everyone else.

This isn't directed at you but I think there is some anti-Walker sentiment that is partly to do with her leaving but IMO also partly due to her not living up to some's expectations. If she had been able to play with a couple other AA's as an upperclassman like most of the last 10 years, then it would be a fair comparison. Walker was not DT or Moore and last year that was what it would have taken.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I don''t entirely agree. OFC she is no a perfect player. No such thing. So ofc there will be games she doesn't play well. She'll have her rough games just like any other human being. With that said-- Maya was playing PF a lot -- you have to have some physicality. For a PG she doesn't need it as much. That doesn't mean she doesn't need to get stronger but early in season I don't think physicality a big deal.

I just don't understand the caution. As Digger said -Rizzotti was fine. I remember Monty being fine. I remember Bria Hartley being fine. Paige as a junior was thought to be just as good as the seniors Jones and Boston. They were fine as frosh. South Carolina's other frosh seemed to be fine. IMO let Paige be free as long as she is doing satisfactory enough in practices.

And if there is a game Geno i is upset with her- no problems- pull her. Paige is the most celebrated recruit since Stewie for a reason. Not every recruit is hype wiht not much substance. Therefore, I don't agree on holding such talent back. If other star frosh can start and do well, why not Paige? I don't care that much if she doesn't start unless they lose and she played well but didn't start and wasn't used a lot. As long as she gets minutes. She is that good imo. There is no reason to think that she isn't real good.

Reaction Score
I don''t entirely agree. OFC she is no a perfect player. No such thing. So ofc there will be games she doesn't play well. She'll have her rough games just like any other human being. With that said-- Maya was playing PF a lot -- you have to have some physicality. For a PG she doesn't need it as much. That doesn't mean she doesn't need to get stronger but early in season I don't think physicality a big deal.

I just don't understand the caution. As Digger said -Rizzotti was fine. I remember Monty being fine. I remember Bria Hartley being fine. Paige as a junior was thought to be just as good as the seniors Jones and Boston. They were fine as frosh. South Carolina's other frosh seemed to be fine. IMO let Paige be free as long as she is doing satisfactory enough in practices.

And if there is a game Geno i is upset with her- no problems- pull her. Paige is the most celebrated recruit since Stewie for a reason. Not every recruit is hype wiht not much substance. Therefore, I don't agree on holding such talent back. If other star frosh can start and do well, why not Paige? I don't care that much if she doesn't start unless they lose and she played well but didn't start and wasn't used a lot. As long as she gets minutes. She is that good imo. There is no reason to think that she isn't real good.
I think the real issue is if Paige starts right away, who doesn't? It has to be either Evina, Anna, Aubrey, Liv or CW and it certainly isn't going to be CW or Liv. If Aubrey doesn't start, you lose your secondary rebounder and inside defender and player. Neither CW or Anna can play a 4 like Meg did last year. Remember she averaged almost a double double with close to 10 boards a game. Assuming Evina is healthy, she has 2 years of SEC ball under her belt and averaged 15 and 5 her sophomore year. Anna made huge strides last year and is a great passer and when she is hot from the outside the game changes. I see Paige as the 6th man, spelling either Evina at the point or moving her to the 2 and subbing in for Anna or CW or even Aubrey if we go small and press and run. If someone doesn't start my guess is it would be Anna but I think that to be likely only if Paige is extraordinary in practice. Someone earlier said that Paige was more talented and advanced as an incoming freshman than DT. It made me watch film of DT in high school. I don't agree with what was said. DT was physically stronger but it is too difficult to otherwise compare them because they are both great. Then again, if you watch Azzi you see another kind of great player. Azzi and Paige could replace Sue and DT as the greatest women's backcourt ever if she becomes a Husky. Their games compliment each other perfectly.

Reaction Score
What a tome! Remember you started this by using a 3 pt stat to "prove" that Walker was too short to play the 4, whatever that means. It supported your POV but was hardly proof and my "data" gave a different picture. I'm not claiming my POV is right or better, just that it's a different perspective, and I gave more stat support than you did originally. As far as "team" stuff, last time I looked BB was played 5X5. What each player is doing effects everyone else.

You're getting this all wrong about me. :)
-------------------------------------------------------
Possibly we're saying similar things and don't know it. Look at pg 4 of this thread. I copied a comment I made about Walker below - slu replied and I replied. This brief back-and-forth (non-argument - more like clarification.) between slu and I was before the post I made about Walker being "forced" and comparison to Tuck.

From slu: I must be miss-remembering. When was Walker a stout defensive player? Her strengths were hitting threes and defensive rebounds, plus the ability to create her own shot pretty well.
From me: Who said she was "stout?" She was good enough for being a 1st team all-american while leading her team to number 5 in the country. That's pretty good, isn't it?
----------------------------------------------------

You made a previous reply to me when you spoke of my comparing Walker to Tuck. When I made that initial post regarding Walker and Tuck - right after that Jonathan responded and then you responded and you've subsequently continued to respond as we've gone back-and-forth. Neither of you liked how I used the word "forced." Anyhow that post that set this off between us was to the poster "WINLOTS." My post had to do with the difference in Power Forwards vs small forwards. Not that one could not play it well.

I realize Walker's game was to shoot from the outside. I never said she was no good. Nor did I say she can't play the 4. The post I sent to slu reiterates that. I like small ball too in some manner. But what I've implied is that if her outside shot is off, she had no recourse vs the 3 top elite teams to score in any other manner. That's true, right? It's not that she is "no good." SO she is unlike other pf's. She is small and has to win vs the elite teams on the perimeter. She as successful enough to lead us to being 5th. She was terrific tremendous etc for getting us to 5. I think most fans appreciate Walker big time as I do.

The only thing i can think of that set you off (There is a better way to say set you off- I do not mean that you were mean or any of this was bad etc - and we had a very civil discussion)- and some others- is that you equated my comment of "Walker being forced" to "Walker being too small" to "Walker being no good?" If so, that was not my intent. And I'm okay with small ball. I'm okay with seeing if Evina could play the pf this year as well.

**I'm done with this conversation of Walker.

Reaction Score
I think the real issue is if Paige starts right away, who doesn't?

I'm excluding "the 1st week starters" for this discussion and looking more towards who will mostly start. And providing instances to your question of how Paige breaks in and settles as the eventual starter. OFC it's possible she won't. But I don't think so.

There are 4 wildcards when it comes to starters at PF (Griff, Edwards, Anna, and Evina). To further that- imo we don't know what Evina is. For example you see her as a 1/2, I see her as a 3 hopeful she can be a 4, ---and as a backup 1 and a 2.

I realize their is legit fear of rebounding. And as you mention "a 2nd rebounder." So assume Anna or Evina is the PF and we lose that 2nd rebounder. Liv will be a better rebounder than last year. With experience Evina or Anna that plays the SF will be a better rebounder than last year. CWill should be better. And Paige should be a better rebounder than Danger. In addition the team will possibly be able to press and trap more thus forcing game to be played at more a fast guard type pace rather than halfcourt pound in the paint pace. Thus it could be possible that not starting that 2nd rebounder can be overcome.

One option: If Muhl is legit and if either Evina or Anna (I don't see Anna as a PF but others think possible. I think possible though less possible.) can play the PF then Paige starts. Even if Muhl is not legit then if Anna or Evina can play the pf then it means Paige starts.

2nd Option: On the other hand-- if Evina is not much of a pg - but more of a situational/backup pg then maybe she comes off the bench similar to UCONN having Stevens come off the bench even though she was better than Danger. If Evina comes off the bench similar to Stevens years ago then Paige starts.

3rd Option: It's also possible that Evina is a better sf than Anna and either Edwards or Griff establish themselves a good legit PF. Then it could mean Paige starts and Anna comes off the bench.

4th Option: Edwards or Griff are legit-- doesn't matter who SF is-- Paige being a superior PG to anyone on the team-- she starts.
--------------------
There is only 1 player that can prevent Paige from not starting and that's Evina. The poster UConnCat sent me a post on this thread with quotes from Geno that even he had no idea what Evina is.

Reaction Score
1 - Paige
2 - Evina
3 - Anna
4 - Aaliyah
5 - Olivia

First off the bench - Aubrey
Second off the bench - Nika

No, I did not forget CW. In my opinion she has received a starting position in the past by default. She is a good player who seems a little too nonchalant at times. I’m thinking those above will all show more capability and desire right out of the chute this season and CW will find herself in eighth place with Mir right on her heals.

Once the seven huskies above, with some help from Christyn, Mir and Piath develop their pack mentality, I wouldn’t want to be a duck or a chicken, or even a bear in the same arena with them!

Reaction Score
Not that my opinion means anything but I'll stick my nose in here just for the fun of it!
PG - Paige -Geno loves her as a player, from her cockiness to her BB IQ even as a freshman!
SG - Evina - If she were eligible last season she would have started if healthy. She brings much needed experience! She is much better than her TN time showed! With all that UCONN has she'll shine!
W/SF - CW - Will revert back to the player that was dependable previous to last year!
PF - Anna - She is a raw gem that waits to be cut and polished. Her upside that she showed late will only get better!
C - Ono - Another player that will improve in leaps & bounds over last season! If healthy greatness beckons!
Off-the-bench- Griffin will show a much improved offensive side to add to her defensive quickness! Geno loves a "game-changer" which Griffin definitely is!
Edwards- She has the potential to be an Asjha Jones type player! A physical clone to Asjha!
Nika - Has experience from her pro background can be a real dark horse surprise if she learns Geno's system quickly!
Mir - is another that athletically can advance as fast as she learns!
Piath - Is another player that if her learning curve is high she can get minutes subbing for Ono!
I was underway on a submarine when UCONN won their first National Championship in April of 1995, and was amazed that they accomplished the incredible feat of defeating the "Evil Orange" [who were the #1 team in the 1st match up] twice in the same year to win the Championship. Even though extremely young for the upcoming year, iy appears that Geno, CD & company finally have achieved "positionless" Basketball with their incredible recruiting and development of those recruited.
One of the principles that I have seen proven time and again is: "When others have to adjust to what you are doing, you have a huge advantage. Push your advantages to the fullest!" The beauty of this principle will be on full display in the upcoming NCAA Women's Basketball season, as Geno, CD, & company can rapidly change their "advantages" with each set of substitutions, whether it is individual, two or three amazing players at a time. IMO, the substitutions this year will be metaphoric "gear changes of a high performance race car on a road course" such as Sonoma, CA or Watkins Glen, NY....
Each game will be different in amazing ways! It will be a thing of beauty!
I am praying for the health of all those associated with UCONN, the BoneYard, and all of their families, and confound the desires and actions of the Evil One. I hope you all will do the same. God Bless you all!!!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
1 - Paige
2 - Evina
3 - Anna
4 - Aaliyah
5 - Olivia

First off the bench - Aubrey
Second off the bench - Nika

No, I did not forget CW. In my opinion she has received a starting position in the past by default. She is a good player who seems a little too nonchalant at times. I’m thinking those above will all show more capability and desire right out of the chute this season and CW will find herself in eighth place with Mir right on her heals.

Once the seven huskies above, with some help from Christyn, Mir and Piath develop their pack mentality, I wouldn’t want to be a duck or a chicken, or even a bear in the same arena with them!
I think you are way off base about CW. I believe she will excel this if coming season in a number of ways.

Reaction Score
I think you are way off base about CW. I believe she will excel this if coming season in a number of ways.
While I think Evina starting at the 2 is unlikely, it is certainly more possible than most on the boneyard think. Most think CW as a starter for two years would not be bumped from that position. I think Evina would have to beat her decisively to get the start, but that is possible, particularly since CW was disappointing to me at least last season.

On the other hand with a short bench, three players were significantly overworked last year with CW, Dangerfield and Walker playing at least 35 minutes. I have no doubt all three could have produced better per minute numbers if they were playing 30 or less. CW may be significantly better this year for that reason.

Another reason I think CW is more logical as the SG starter, is I see her as close to a one position player, whereas Westbrook's more versatile game could have her comfortably filling in at PG, SG,or SF and being a super sub off the bench. If Evina beat out Anna at SF, however, Anna has similar versatility and could be used in the same role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom