Evina Finishes Rehab Thread morphed into another Who Starts Next Year Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Evina Finishes Rehab Thread morphed into another Who Starts Next Year Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know Geno is reticent to plug freshmen into the mix prematurely, and there is a learning curve for her, but c'mon guys, do you honestly think that the greatest HS phenom since, well since ever, is going to be sitting the bench for long?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
EYggC8JWoAAC1-7
That Jesus guy must be a hell of a surgeon..Good job Dr. J.:p

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Some of y’all need to watch the IG with Geno and Chloe

I was thinking about who the new assistant coach will be, and if anyone had any insight or preference on who it might be. I’m sure there is a lot of interest from up and coming coaches for this position.

Reaction Score
So people have 4 guards starting with ONO? Paige, Evina, Christyn, Anna, and ONO? Seems...unlikely.

Yeah, that's not happening! The starting lineup next year will be Bueckers(1), Williams(2), Westbrook(3), Edwards/Griffin(4), Nelson-Ododa(5). Griffin may start the season at the 4, but come tournament time Edwards will be starting. She is just too good and plays too hard, she reminds me a lot of Napheesa Collier.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that's not happening! The starting lineup next year will be Bueckers(1), Williams(2), Westbrook(3), Edwards/Griffin(4), Nelson-Ododa(5). Griffin may start the season at the 4, but come tournament time Edwards will be starting. She is just too good and plays too hard, she reminds me a lot of Napheesa Collier.

I disagree, I can’t see Anna losing her starting job, I think Griffin will be a starter at the begging of the year, but I expect Pagie to move into the starting spot similar to Lou and Gabby.
Paige
Westbrook
Williams
Anna
ONO Would be my starting five with Griffin, Edwards, and Mir the first 3 subs off the bench.

Reaction Score
I disagree, I can’t see Anna losing her starting job, I think Griffin will be a starter at the begging of the year, but I expect Pagie to move into the starting spot similar to Lou and Gabby.
Paige
Westbrook
Williams
Anna
ONO Would be my starting five with Griffin, Edwards, and Mir the first 3 subs off the bench.
A thought related to Westbrook's work out results is Anna's conditioning. While I believe Anna has proven the necessary skills to start, we may see a new and improved version. Conditioning never appeared to be an issue but suspect that an Anna who followed Walker's regime (15 pounds lighter, stronger frame, etc.) would be quicker and better defender. No issue whoever starts - should be interesting since due to this year's competition, they will have earned it.

Reaction Score
I COMPLETELY disagree. A starting line up without Makurat is just not in the cards...

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Paige
Westbrook
Williams
Anna
I believe Muhl will have something to say about that. Later in the season, so will Piath.

Last edited:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
My guess for the starting lineup and approximate minutes per game:

PG Westbrook (27) Bueckers (25)

SG Williams (26) Muhl (13)

SF Makurat (27) McLean (7)

PF Griffin (23) Edwards (19)

C ONO (27) Gabriel (6)

Geno must figure he finally has the numbers to press and make it a full court game. We saw glimpses of them getting out into the open court at the end of last season when they were playing their best basketball.

To play that way, you need to be able to defend, rebound, and get out in transition. Geno will start his best defensive team. Anna rebounds well for a three and is terrific in the open court with her ball handling, passing, and shooting the three in transition. Aubrey is made for that style of play. ONO is a given. CW showed signs of playing downhill at the end of last season, taking it strong to the hoop, and is an excellent rebounder for her position. I have great expectations for Evina, and thrilled that her rehab is over.

Offense should not be a problem for this team no matter what the alignment. With all the great passers, I just hope someone takes it upon herself to shoot the ball. It will be fun to watch the magic unfold.

This alignment provides adequate size at all positions and puts them in their natural positions out of the gate.

The Freshmen will need to adapt to the faster tempo and the need to play intense defense. That will hold them back a bit initially, especially if the season gets off to a disjointed start. Ultimately they will be able to go smaller with Bueckers and bigger with Edwards. My expectations for the other Freshmen are more muted but I would not be shocked if Nika earned more minutes with her passing or Mir with her defense. Gabriel is more of a long term project but there will be times when we need a big to mix it up inside.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Primary starters will be
Paige Bueckers
Anna Makurat
Christyn Williams
Evina Westbrook
Olivia Nelson - Ododa

we are a bunch of 5’11-6’0 players minus Liv
Everyone is just going to have to play bigger than their position. Remember Pheesa is only 6’1 Megan Walker is 6’1 and they were grabbing a lot of boards
I feel this is the line up.

Squeaks showed good flashes of being aggressive on the boards. Anna as well.

Evina has the age and experience. Not UConn experience but college experience.

Paige will be what Christyn was when Phee & Lou were there. She will be playing the majority of all games.

Aubrey is good but I would keep her as 6th man until further notice
She comes in the game and really adds a lot of value. But we all know Geno loves his guards.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Evina! it was a long, hard road.

Now she can start getting in shape and then in basketball shape, in case we have a season. Fingers crossed!

I think Geno said the other day that we have 3 starters returning. He seemed to be inferring that Anna keeps her starting slot. Thus, we need 2 others. I like Aubrey as a change-of-pace player, the first off the bench to get offensive boards or lock down an opposing player. Thus, I think Evina starts. At what position? If I am correct, the most likely 5th starter is either Aaliyah or Paige. I wouldn't absolutely rule out Nika, though I think she's unlikely. I think Mir is also unlikely and Piath is highly unlikely. I see at least 3 of the 5 frosh being real contributors.

Do you think Evina can play pf in a similar manner that Walker did? OFC she can handle the ball better - but do you think she can defend and rebound in a similar manner?

Secondly, I wouldn't take his comments to the bank. I think it's a generalization that he has known quality.

Third- the freshman Aliyah Boston got 2nd team All-American this past year. Wasn't Paige in some circles considered better as a junior than Boston and Jones? Thus UCONN might have one of the best players in country coming off the bench to start the game vs the other team's best players? So we're going to right-off-the-bat give the opposing team an advantage by not playing possibly one of the best players in the country?

I realize she might not be a top 15 etc and ofc you have to see it early on-- so the 1st few weeks if she doesn't start I can see as well. So my question is for you and anyone else -- if she is "elite" -a top 15 player in the country-- would you still willingly keep her on the bench at the beginning of the game?

I realize at one time Geno has liked having a firepower player come off the bench but I think in those cases he also had dominant teams other than the Stewie year in which he had Hartley come off the bench (mainly due to injury I think but as she got better he kept her on bench) but then he changed it up during the Final Four. Hartley was better than Doty. So I'd think the best strategy is don't give the opposing team an advantage just as Geno did in that Final Four game vs ND.

Reaction Score
Do you think Evina can play pf in a similar manner that Walker did? OFC she can handle the ball better - but do you think she can defend and rebound in a similar manner?

Secondly, I wouldn't take his comments to the bank. I think it's a generalization that he has known quality.

Third- the freshman Aliyah Boston got 2nd team All-American this past year. Wasn't Paige in some circles considered better as a junior than Boston and Jones? Thus UCONN might have one of the best players in country coming off the bench to start the game vs the other team's best players? So we're going to right-off-the-bat give the opposing team an advantage by not playing possibly one of the best players in the country?

I realize she might not be a top 15 etc and ofc you have to see it early on-- so the 1st few weeks if she doesn't start I can see as well. So my question is for you and anyone else -- if she is "elite" -a top 15 player in the country-- would you still willingly keep her on the bench at the beginning of the game?

I realize at one time Geno has liked having a firepower player come off the bench but I think in those cases he also had dominant teams other than the Stewie year in which he had Hartley come off the bench (mainly due to injury I think but as she got better he kept her on bench) but then he changed it up during the Final Four. Hartley was better than Doty. So I'd think the best strategy is don't give the opposing team an advantage just as Geno did in that Final Four game vs ND.
IMO, Auriemma knows exactly what he has in Bueckers but will keep his expectations and opinions about her low key to minimize the outside hype and expectations. If she’s as good as he thinks she is, I don’t see him delaying her impact on a game for 5-7 minutes. Williams started as a freshman and this kid is further advanced in all areas than her coming out of HS.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I COMPLETELY disagree. A starting line up without Makurat is just not in the cards...

Who is she going to start over? You need size at the 4 or they will get killed off the boards, Williams is a lock, Westbrook is a lock, and you need a legit ball handler point guard. Makurat is a good player, she just doesn't fit in the starting lineup.

Reaction Score
Paige
Westbrook
Williams
Anna

You can't just play a kid at the 4 that has NEVER done so in her life! They need to replace Walker's rebounding and that ain't happening with Makurat at the 4!

Carnac

Reaction Score
I believe Muhl will have something about that. Later in the season, so will Piath.

I included her in my narrative of the 4 freshmen + Westbrook that I believe may earn a starting spot. If not at the beginning of the season, perhaps later on. Her name is seldom mentioned in our comments. There is still a lot we don't know about her. We've seen what Edwards can do against grown adult women at the world class Olympic level. We need to see how the other freshmen compete and handle themselves against college level competition. No assumptions, I'm from Missouri. :)

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Some of y’all need to watch the IG with Geno and Chloe

For those of us that didn't. How about a summation of what was said in this regard. It would save a lot of speculation on our part. :) I interested to know.

Reaction Score
For those of us that didn't. How about a summation of what was said in this regard. It would save a lot of speculation on our part. :) I interested to know.

he spoke about the boneyard and how everyone tries to figure out the starting lineup. he laughed about it

Carnac

Reaction Score
he spoke about the boneyard and how everyone tries to figure out the starting lineup. he laughed about it

That means he must read a lot of comments to say that "everyone".......... :rolleyes: I'll bet he's been reading Boneyard comments for years. I wonder if he has a burner account? :eek: Thanks Geew1992.

Reaction Score
That means he must read a lot of comments to say that "everyone".......... :rolleyes: I'll bet he's been reading Boneyard comments for years. I wonder if he has a burner account? :eek: Thanks Geew1992.

Him and CD read it. They May have a burner account. It was quite funny though. Kind of said no one up here has a clue

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Paige
Westbrook
Williams
Anna
Agree with this 100%. IMHO guaranteed starters are Williams, Makurat, ONO. The other 2 will come from Westbrook, Bueckers, Griffin, Edwards (in that order IMHO). I am shocked anyone is incredulous at a "4-guard" lineup.

First, Anna is over 6'1" tall. Westbrook is listed at 6'. Williams and Bueckers at 5'11". Olivia is at least 6'5". That is NOT a small lineup.

Second, ND won the NC with immediate eligibility Jess Shephard and 4 guards. Anyone who thinks the lineup with Paige, Evina, Christyn, Anna and Olivia "won't happen cuz it's 4 guards" is wrong IMHO.

Third, we have no idea who Geno will start. Neither does he. At least he says that publicly. I'm sure he's not made any decisions, but he knows who's coming in and he knows who he already has. I'm sure if he wanted, he could speculate too.

I personally believe it will be the 4 guards plus Olivia. But I know many boneyarders will follow the situation hourly once classes and practices start! :p

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Him and CD read it. They May have a burner account. It was quite funny though. Kind of said no one up here has a clue

If no one else could recognize that he had the worst posts in America (Kara and Rebecca) back in the day then surely no one else has a clue. :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I am sure he reads the BY (Hi Geno Love you) on occasion for entertainment but I doubt he would consider having an account which would entice him to engage. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom