Evina Finishes Rehab Thread morphed into another Who Starts Next Year Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Evina Finishes Rehab Thread morphed into another Who Starts Next Year Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How about Aubrey starts because she has become super, super fantastic and is slightly better than super fantastic Paige and Evina? Time to stop the negativity. By definition, UConn Husky Women do not underperform. Some of them may get “outperformed” by others, but that is a positive, not a negative.
Hope your thoughts on positive play turn to reality. ;) That being said, when Anna (one of my favorite players) lost her starting job last year by being "0 for America," what would you call her performance?

Reaction Score
My prediction is:

PG-Westbrook-bring the ball up
SG-Williams
SF-Makurat-run the offense in the half court
PF-Griffin
C-Nelson-Ododa

Paige comes off the bench first and totally changes up the game by playing traditional PG. Aliyah becomes the new Aubrey as the energy off the bench in thevfront court.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
EYggC8JWoAAC1-7

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Congrats to Evina! it was a long, hard road.

Now she can start getting in shape and then in basketball shape, in case we have a season. Fingers crossed!

I think Geno said the other day that we have 3 starters returning. He seemed to be inferring that Anna keeps her starting slot. Thus, we need 2 others. I like Aubrey as a change-of-pace player, the first off the bench to get offensive boards or lock down an opposing player. Thus, I think Evina starts. At what position? If I am correct, the most likely 5th starter is either Aaliyah or Paige. I wouldn't absolutely rule out Nika, though I think she's unlikely. I think Mir is also unlikely and Piath is highly unlikely. I see at least 3 of the 5 frosh being real contributors.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I have to agree with @MilfordHusky. I believe we will get the 3 starters from last year plus Evina at a wing and Aaliyah in the front court as our early season starting lineup. If Paige becomes the impact at point like most of think, it's my opinion she take minutes from Aaliyah and/or Anna. I imagine we will see the minutes sprinkled around liberally in the early goings and then locked down to a key 8 players by the time conference play starts.

Aubrey is a ball to watch. She's super athletic. I hope some of you remember that last year Geno gave her orders to not shoot. Told her she was to play defense and rebound. She didn't have a good handle and a few adventures catching the ball. Also got confused on defense and had to be told where to go on offense several times. I believe it was only a severe case of Freshman nerves as she tried to go too fast. But I think she is going to have to make a super sophomore leap to be considered a starter. As a 6th man super disruptor, that definitely. I have a hard time seeing her as a starter.

Reaction Score
Hope your thoughts on positive play turn to reality. ;) That being said, when Anna (one of my favorite players) lost her starting job last year by being "0 for America," what would you call her performance?
I would have to agree with you that her initial shot results were not “super”; however, her rebounding and passing showed the kind of skill and effort Geno was looking for. And Geno’s “0 for America“ comment and sitting her for a while and working in practice did hone her shot trajectory pretty well.

When her shooting numbers skyrocketed her overall performance got a lot better. I don’t believe her effort increased even one percent during that time. So I am uncomfortable with the term underperforming for her, or for Paige or Evina should another teammate be performing at a super, super level. This is a “glass half full -glass half empty” discussion. When talking about these players I prefer to see “glass half full and better/super” a lot more than “glass half empty and bad/under- performing. That’s my feeling; I hope you’re OK with it.

Reaction Score
Full of nerves and over thinking until she started breathing and letting her body do what it knows how to do.....

Reaction Score
You make some excellent points. NO ONE knows for sure, and Geno was quoted as saying he has no idea who will start. He hasn't seen any of the freshmen in person on campus and those decisions won't be made until November probably.

My $.02... I think Evina and Paige are starters #4 and 5. Paige because she's a natural PG, has the moxie and temperament to lead the team as a freshman, and will likely be the best PG on the team from day 1.

Evina because she may be the best player on the team (will be close between her and Chrystyn IMHO).

I don't disagree that Aubrey will get lots of minutes. IF she has worked on her mid-range game and passing from the top of the key, I could see her vying for a starting role, but I don't think she's quite there yet.
Best player on the team? We do have her Tennessee performance which promises but does not guarantee good things. For Christyn to be best player she needs help and that help comes from the team’s most important player, currently sheltering at home in Poland. Anna had a knack for finding CW. As the season drew to a close last year Anna increasingly could be heard taking charge on the floor. Her bb IQ will drive the team. Then there’s Liv. She made great strides last year. With her frame, she’ll never be a bruiser but she is developing other skills. If not the best, she is perhaps most needed. Then there’s Aubrey, our Bambi, a ferocious defender who needs to bring that intensity to her offensive game. If she does, watch out. Then there are the incoming frosh, one of whom has been called the second coming of (fill in the blank) without ever setting foot in a D-1 game. Who’s the best in this abundance of riches? Just enjoy.

Reaction Score
I am very pleased that she is certified to be healthy. No matter how she contributes to this team, the fact that she can play as a whole person and not have any physical limitations that will impede her play is a good thing. Stay that way and I hope she enjoys her team experience with UConn.

Reaction Score
I have to agree with @MilfordHusky. I believe we will get the 3 starters from last year plus Evina at a wing and Aaliyah in the front court as our early season starting lineup. If Paige becomes the impact at point like most of think, it's my opinion she take minutes from Aaliyah and/or Anna. I imagine we will see the minutes sprinkled around liberally in the early goings and then locked down to a key 8 players by the time conference play starts.

Aubrey is a ball to watch. She's super athletic. I hope some of you remember that last year Geno gave her orders to not shoot. Told her she was to play defense and rebound. She didn't have a good handle and a few adventures catching the ball. Also got confused on defense and had to be told where to go on offense several times. I believe it was only a severe case of Freshman nerves as she tried to go too fast. But I think she is going to have to make a super sophomore leap to be considered a starter. As a 6th man super disruptor, that definitely. I have a hard time seeing her as a starter.
One of the more factual, balanced assessments of Aubrey and team. Suspect we will see minutes change as the year evolves. Love the debate - unlike past years, means we have several potential starters and stronger bench.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
One of the more factual, balanced assessments of Aubrey and team. Suspect we will see minutes change as the year evolves. Love the debate - unlike past years, means we have several potential starters and stronger bench.
Thank you!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I'm sure she's happy to be done with it. I wonder what her reaction would be if Geno wanted her to continue with it anyway? Probably this:

Reaction Score
I am very pleased that she is certified to be healthy. No matter how she contributes to this team, the fact that she can play as a whole person and not have any physical limitations that will impede her play is a good thing. Stay that way and I hope she enjoys her team experience with UConn.
Amen !!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I believe Evina not getting a waiver was actually a blessing to her and to UConn. Her physical condition would probably have hindered her performance. She now may have a chance to win two NC if she plays her extra year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
My prediction is:

SG-Williams
PF-Griffin
C-Nelson-Ododa

Paige comes off the bench first and totally changes up the game by playing traditional PG. Aliyah becomes the new Aubrey as the energy off the bench in thevfront court.

DEpup, great minds think alike!! :D

Reaction Score
My prediction is:

SG-Williams
PF-Griffin
C-Nelson-Ododa

This is exactly what I think. It could slightly change from time to time though depending on who they are playing.

Reaction Score
My prediction is:

SG-Williams
PF-Griffin
C-Nelson-Ododa

I agree. If Paige starts over Aubrey, there is no second rebounder. I always thought Evina would start even before Meg bolted. She is that good and a very tough kid by all indications. I also think that against certain teams Geno may be able to run what will be a four guard offense at times. I can't wait to see their press either way but a great pressing team would be Evina, Paige, CW, Aubrey and Liv with all the bench capable of coming in too. We always overlook Nika because we have Paige but you can see in film that she is very, very good.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree. If Paige starts over Aubrey, there is no second rebounder. I always thought Evina would start even before Meg bolted. She is that good and a very tough kid by all indications. I also think that against certain teams Geno may be able to run what will be a four guard offense at times. I can't wait to see their press either way but a great pressing team would be Evina, Paige, CW, Aubrey and Liv with all the bench capable of coming in too. We always overlook Nika because we have Paige but you can see in film that she is very, very good.
The second rebounder could be Aaliyah.

Does Evina start at the 1 or the 3/4? Maybe she and Anna are the 2nd rebounders.

Reaction Score
I am less concerned with who starts though I think that Evina will be among the starters. I am really looking for really strong play from the bench. I believe that there will be an opportunity to extend leads and defend more aggressively without the substantial drop off that they have experienced over the last several years.

Reaction Score
I am less concerned with who starts though I think that Evina will be among the starters. I am really looking for really strong play from the bench. I believe that there will be an opportunity to extend leads and defend more aggressively without the substantial drop off that they have experienced over the last several years.

agreed. And looking forward to a fun season

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I too am not that concerned about who starts. The important things are playing time and minutes in crunch time. The most important thing is effectiveness. I'm hoping that Geno has confidence in at least 8 players. I have not seen much video of Piath, but I've seen enough of Mir, Nika, and Aaliyah to know they look like contributors. I've seen more of Paige than I have of Michael Jordan, and she looks like a true alpha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom