Evina and Held post game incident | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Evina and Held post game incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Based on what? Has she ever mouthed off to a official, never that I've seen.
I guess you didn’t see her complaining about the foul calls in her first few games back. Geno must have told her to cool it because she’s been better. But bumping into the kid, or at least not avoiding the bump, is looking for trouble. It’s unnecessary.

Reaction Score
“Upon further review...” (multiple times)
Held initiated end of game contact.
Frustration about losing to UCONN AGAIN- when her team blew the best chance of beating them in her career.
She will finish Oh-FER against them.
Ouch.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I guess you didn’t see her complaining about the foul calls in her first few games back. Geno must have told her to cool it because she’s been better. But bumping into the kid, or at least not avoiding the bump, is looking for trouble. It’s unnecessary.
Could have been avoided but Held was at fault. Give credit to Nika for not backing down and then walking away. Teams have to know that we aren't a bunch of panseys and we will not take their crap.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Could have been avoided but Held was at fault. Give credit to Nika for not backing down and then walking away. Teams have to know that we aren't a bunch of panseys and we will not take their crap.
What are we - 12 years old?

If a Notre Dame or Tennessee player did what Nika did, Boneyarders would be condemning her. The entire episode was unnecessary, Nika could have just gone around the kid and avoided the problem.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
What are we - 12 years old?

If a Notre Dame or Tennessee player did what Nika did, Boneyarders would be condemning her. The entire episode was unnecessary, Nika could have just gone around the kid and avoided the problem.
HuskyNan, I agree with a majority of you post(I'm not brown nosing) it's a well known fact tht the strategy tht teams use against Uconn is to bang, push and grab the players, particularly Paige, Nika, and Liv. The one thing tht a bully hates is whn someone stands their ground and pushes back, I feel Nika didn't change her course and neither did the DePaul player, no big deal, but I imagine Nika was kinda saying

We're not gonna take it
No We're not gonna take
We're not gonna take it anymore!
I LOVE the Dawg in tht young woman!

Reaction Score
Nika has a bit of Kia Nurse in her, and a show of toughness is precisely what this team needs at times. I recall a UCONN game against ND a few years ago. I'm not sure of the principals involved but my aging memory believes it involved Collier or perhaps another UCONN player with a reputation for being polite getting ready to make an inbound pass from the sidelines, and some form of disrespect being directed at her by an ND player, perhaps Mabrey (not positive). You could see Nurse immediately move toward the area where this was happening, and any potential conflict quickly dissipated without a word being spoken. Kia was known to separate opposing players from their body parts, and I can't ever recall any opposing player pushing her around or even thinking about doing so.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Rationally, I know Nan has the right take here, but projecting my younger self into this situation, I take that bump because we're probably going to see each other again. It's a "you're not getting in my head", "no, you're not getting in MY head" thing. Even though they are clearly in each other's heads at this point

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
The every player complains a bit, never over the line.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
or shoving the defender away out of frustration resulting in a turnover extending the scoreless streak in the 2nd quarter. That was certainly not smart.

mudblood

Incorrigible optimist
Reaction Score
Just so it's clear as night and day, here's the frame at 0.1 seconds before contact
1643486248388.png

Reaction Score
Nika has a bit of Kia Nurse in her, and a show of toughness is precisely what this team needs at times. I recall a UCONN game against ND a few years ago. I'm not sure of the principals involved but my aging memory believes it involved Collier or perhaps another UCONN player with a reputation for being polite getting ready to make an inbound pass from the sidelines, and some form of disrespect being directed at her by an ND player, perhaps Mabrey (not positive). You could see Nurse immediately move toward the area where this was happening, and any potential conflict quickly dissipated without a word being spoken. Kia was known to separate opposing players from their body parts, and I can't ever recall any opposing player pushing her around or even thinking about doing so.
that's a horrible comparison, Kia is a peacemaker and yes I remember also in that final 4 KLS and Mabrey were going at it and a whistle got blown and KLS feared she got a technical and Kia went to calm the situation down. There's a difference between stopping something from escalating and Nika trying to downplay something she started.

Reaction Score
honestly the fact that there's more talk about this "incident" by posters in this forum and nothing by either coach or player tells me more.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
that's a horrible comparison, Kia is a peacemaker and yes I remember also in that final 4 KLS and Mabrey were going at it and a whistle got blown and KLS feared she got a technical and Kia went to calm the situation down. There's a difference between stopping something from escalating and Nika trying to downplay something she started.
Just wondering what school you are a fan of, cause you definitely are not a UConn fan. How could you not say Held initiated this contact? Can't remember anything positive you have ever said about the program. Of course, you are still welcome here.

Reaction Score
Based on what? Has she ever mouthed off to a official, never that I've seen.
We don't hear or see everything that happens out there. This incident was caused by Nika. She knew Held was going to bang into her and she could have simply moved out of the way. That's not Nika's style, and we love her for it. But, as HuskyNan points out, done at the wrong time when an official only sees the ending results ... she (and/or a teammate coming to her so-called rescue) will get tossed. That could, at least until Paige returns, hurt the team.

Reaction Score
Just wondering what school you are a fan of, cause you definitely are not a UConn fan. How could you not say Held initiated this contact? Can't remember anything positive you have ever said about the program. Of course, you are still welcome here.
what are you talking about? I just said Kia Nurse was a peacemaker, not an instigator. If you think that's offensive idk what to tell you. There's a way about doing this and showing sportsmanship. Faris was another player who played with grit but she never had any issues with an opposing player. She was a smart player who always had a chip on her shoulder.

sun

Reaction Score
I also agree with Nan.
There's nothing wrong with avoiding a hit by someone trying to be aggressive by avoiding it gracefully.
Winners can afford to be gracious especially if it shows that they're smarter and have better manners.
Nika should have turned sideways and exposed the aggressor for what she is, a poor loser.
It's better to not stoop down to the level of the ape.

Reaction Score
We don't hear or see everything that happens out there. This incident was caused by Nika. She knew Held was going to bang into her and she could have simply moved out of the way. That's not Nika's style, and we love her for it. But, as HuskyNan points out, done at the wrong time when an official only sees the ending results ... she (and/or a teammate coming to her so-called rescue) will get tossed. That could, at least until Paige returns, hurt the team.
Looking at the video and the screenshot right above this post how in the world can you say Nike started it ? Not trying to be a homer but some folks need glasses .. folks are making something out of nothing here .. DePaul was trying to bully UConn and glad our ladies stood up to it

Reaction Score
Cmon now. Held was visibly surprised, Nika was expecting it and didn’t flinch after. If a non UConn player did that, you wouldn’t be celebrating it..

If there is one thing that the womens'game has over the men it's the sincerity of their expressions when a call goes the other way. Lots of Acad Award talent. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom