OT: - European Soccer Super League | The Boneyard

OT: European Soccer Super League

Reaction Score
For decades there have been talks of a European Super League consisting of the top clubs from various leagues. Today a bunch of news came out that those clubs have all agreed to leave their domestic leagues and form a super league. The money they would bring in would be insane and they wouldn't have to share revenue with smaller domestic clubs. Nothing is concrete yet, and the domestic leagues are now threatening to ban those clubs or strip them of their points lol.

But anyways, IF this happens, I wonder how long it will be until the P5 sees the financial success of this and tries to follow suit. We all know the P5 would love to break away from the NCAA and form their own league...this could be the experiment they have been waiting for to prove that the model would actually work.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Yeah, FIFA and the national governments are about to show the billionaire FB owners who's boss.

A club ( and players) banned from domestic, UEFA, and FIFA competitions are going to find their new home a lot less lucrative than they thought.

Imagine if Alabama, ND, OU, and Texas (and their players) were banned from participating against NCAA opponents and the CFB playoffs. Now imagine, the government declaring them taxable for-profit entities. Their recruiting would dry up immediately.

Reaction Score
Yeah, FIFA and the national governments are about to show the billionaire FB owners who's boss.

A club ( and players) banned from domestic, UEFA, and FIFA competitions are going to find their new home a lot less lucrative than they thought.

Imagine if Alabama, ND, OU, and Texas (and their players) were banned from participating against NCAA opponents and the CFB playoffs. Now imagine, the government declaring them taxable for-profit entities. Their recruiting would dry up immediately.
Well the P5 wants to break off to get away from the NCAA so i don't think they would care about them banning them from playing NCAA opponents lol

Reaction Score

Depends on how the players are compensated. If they share the wealth, I wonder how many really care about playing for their home country? Soccer players are like every one else, its all about self interest. If Pulisic, for example, goes from making 100k a week to 250k, would he say no to that just to put on the red, white, and blue. I am not so sure.

The clubs are supposedly each reciving 450million euros just for acceptance.

Reaction Score
No one wants to watch a 15 club round robin every year especially if those teams can’t compete for any domestic or international trophies. Never mind if the players can’t play for their country. Not gonna happen.

the P5 breaking away isn’t comparable since there are over 50 teams involved and they could establish their own tourneys etc

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
For decades there have been talks of a European Super League consisting of the top clubs from various leagues. Today a bunch of news came out that those clubs have all agreed to leave their domestic leagues and form a super league. The money they would bring in would be insane and they wouldn't have to share revenue with smaller domestic clubs. Nothing is concrete yet, and the domestic leagues are now threatening to ban those clubs or strip them of their points lol.

But anyways, IF this happens, I wonder how long it will be until the P5 sees the financial success of this and tries to follow suit. We all know the P5 would love to break away from the NCAA and form their own league...this could be the experiment they have been waiting for to prove that the model would actually work.
P5 has nothing to learn from this. This is Europe trying to emulate US professional sports leagues.

Reaction Score
No one wants to watch a 15 club round robin every year especially if those teams can’t compete for anyFor domestic or international trophies. Never mind if the players can’t play for their country. Not gonna happen.

the P5 breaking away isn’t comparable since there are over 50 teams involved and they could establish their own tourneys etc
For the record, like almost everyone, I am dead against this idea. But for healthy debate, I see FIFA trying to flex some muscle here but they will ultimately cave in if this were to go through. As much as no one wants to see this super league, less people will be interested in watching a world cup with the very best players forced to sit out.

Reaction Score
There's zero chance this happens. Zero.
seems like its nearly 100% happening now lol. BUT this is basically just another champions league tournament. The clubs are staying in their domestic leagues and will participate in this on the side. I really don't get what the big deal is over this. It's just another cash grab tourney featuring the most storied teams in the sports history. I like the idea

I wish college bball would expand the early season tournaments to get a legends tourney added to it. UConn, Duke, UNC, UCLA, IU, KU, UK get auto invites, plus invite last years final four teams. That would be an awesome event every season to begin the year.

Reaction Score
For the record, like almost everyone, I am dead against this idea. But for healthy debate, I see FIFA trying to flex some muscle here but they will ultimately cave in if this were to go through. As much as no one wants to see this super league, less people will be interested in watching a world cup with the very best players forced to sit out.
Once FIFA gets their cut of the profits they will fold. They don't care about anything except money lol

Reaction Score
Once FIFA gets their cut of the profits they will fold. They don't care about anything except money lol
100%. They want a cut. Ultimately, they will get one.

Reaction Score
seems like its nearly 100% happening now lol. BUT this is basically just another champions league tournament. The clubs are staying in their domestic leagues and will participate in this on the side. I really don't get what the big deal is over this. It's just another cash grab tourney featuring the most storied teams in the sports history. I like the idea

I wish college bball would expand the early season tournaments to get a legends tourney added to it. UConn, Duke, UNC, UCLA, IU, KU, UK get auto invites, plus invite last years final four teams. That would be an awesome event every season to begin the year.
I'll believe it when i see it, it may happen but it's just such a stupid thing. The difference with your example is that this wouldn't be a preseason tournament like you said, it would be those teams opting out of the NCAA tournament and creating their own tournament with a guaranteed birth every year

Reaction Score
I'll believe it when i see it, it may happen but it's just such a stupid thing. The difference with your example is that this wouldn't be a preseason tournament like you said, it would be those teams opting out of the NCAA tournament and creating their own tournament with a guaranteed birth every year
Fair. But at the end of the day, more guaranteed matches against the other top clubs is pretty dope. And there will still be 5 bids given out to the next 5 best teams in Europe. I just don't think it's as bad as everyone says

Reaction Score
seems like its nearly 100% happening now lol. BUT this is basically just another champions league tournament. The clubs are staying in their domestic leagues and will participate in this on the side. I really don't get what the big deal is over this.

If the domestic leagues have anything to say about it they will not be participating in their home leagues and this on the side. They've been pretty vocal about booting the teams that elect to participate.

From a pure gameplay standpoint, I don't know what this gives you that the UCL doesn't. But obviously it's a cash grab in a sport where money has already created a farcical competitive imbalance.

Reaction Score
If the domestic leagues have anything to say about it they will not be participating in their home leagues and this on the side. They've been pretty vocal about booting the teams that elect to participate.

From a pure gameplay standpoint, I don't know what this gives you that the UCL doesn't. But obviously it's a cash grab in a sport where money has already created a farcical competitive imbalance.
The EPL would cease to exist if they banned their top 6 clubs. They have absolutely zero leverage over them and the clubs know it

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
I think Mandel is right and have thought this was the end game for college football all along. His time;one seems shorter than I would think. It will start with conferences giving unequal shares to try and keep the clemsons, Alabama’s, Texas’s, and the rest happy. Lets say increased tv dollars for national games or something like that. Then the top 32-36 teams get a tv deal offer that rivals the NFL. They’d likely take it. Have to.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Depends on how the players are compensated. If they share the wealth, I wonder how many really care about playing for their home country? Soccer players are like every one else, its all about self interest. If Pulisic, for example, goes from making 100k a week to 250k, would he say no to that just to put on the red, white, and blue. I am not so sure.

The clubs are supposedly each reciving 450million euros just for acceptance.

It will get old really quickly. European soccer fans are about their hometown team playing the next town over.
There won't be the same fan support. Sure you will get global fans but the life blood of any club is local.

The P5 might leave the NCAA en masse, but you will never see the ten biggest programs go it alone, which is what these clubs are doing.

Reaction Score

Different laws, different consequences. Of course the P5 evaluates this from time to time, but whether or not European soccer clubs form a super league will ultimately be irrelevant to whether or not they break off from the NCAA.

But as I've said before, I think I'll live to see the P5 split off.

Reaction Score
It will get old really quickly. European soccer fans are about their hometown team playing the next town over.
There won't be the same fan support. Sure you will get global fans but the life blood of any club is local.

The P5 might leave the NCAA en masse, but you will never see the ten biggest programs go it alone, which is what these clubs are doing.
Fans will get over it because they may not have a choice. So Liverpool fans will stop going to Anfield because they are playing Barcelona or Juventus instead of Leiscester or Aston Villa? That is total bs. Sure, there will be initial pushback by traditionalists but soccer fans are extremely loyal and that won’t change w better competition. like Aburks said previously, this is a power play by the top clubs. The epl and la liga will get destroyed without it’s top clubs. The World Cup will get destroyed without the top players from the top clubs. There will be some sort of compromise but these 12 clubs are about to get paid!

Reaction Score
Fans will get over it because they may not have a choice. So Liverpool fans will stop going to Anfield because they are playing Barcelona or Juventus instead of Leiscester or Aston Villa? That is total bs. Sure, there will be initial pushback by traditionalists but soccer fans are extremely loyal and that won’t change w better competition. like Aburks said previously, this is a power play by the top clubs. The epl and la liga will get destroyed without it’s top clubs. The World Cup will get destroyed without the top players from the top clubs. There will be some sort of compromise but these 12 clubs are about to get paid!
yeaaaa, no. The power structure is muchhhh different because this is the EU not the US.

Also we've seen how this plays out in the US and I really cackled out loud when I saw this :

Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 9.05.33 PM.png

Reaction Score
World Cup will get destroyed without the top players from the top clubs.
110% disagree. you clearly dont have an appreciation for international football.

most countries wouldnt be affected by this. so brazil and argentina and germany and spain and france and england lose a few players each from their national teams, they have dozens of others good enough to make the squad. the other 200 countries would rejoice at an improved chance to win a championship. maybe this actually brings some parity since only 8 countries have ever won.

nothing will ever stop 1 billion+ people watching the world cup, nothing. country over club always.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom