EURO 2016 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

EURO 2016

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Yeah when you look at the groups for qualifying Wales really only has Austria and Ireland as the main competition, maybe Serbia. Poland has it even easier with only Romania as any type of competition. Iceland will have the toughest road with Turkey, Croatia, and Ukraine in their group. That's rough....
Serbia will probably finish ahead of Austria and Ireland; they're due. Iceland's group is brutal though.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The question is which of the underdogs in this tournament (Iceland, Hungary, Wales, Poland, etc.) can qualify and make noise in the WC. Only Poland and maybe Wales probably have that ability.

Really? Isn't the question right now about who will win this tournament?

Reaction Score
Germany/Italy really didn't do the image of the games any favors, Italia camping and Germany with a ton of possession but very little quality in the attacking 3rd. And LOL at how many PK's were flat out missed by both teams.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Damn Portugal! Still happy for Wales to advance as far as they did. They were a great team to watch!

Reaction Score
Don't care whether Germany or France beats Portugal, but absolutely hope for the best.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Yeah when you look at the groups for qualifying Wales really only has Austria and Ireland as the main competition, maybe Serbia. Poland has it even easier with only Romania as any type of competition. Iceland will have the toughest road with Turkey, Croatia, and Ukraine in their group. That's rough....
Don't forget about Denmark in Poland's group. They usually qualify for major tournaments despite their small size. I wouldn't be shocked if they beat Poland to 1st or at least finished 2nd and went into the playoffs.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Portugal getting to the final is a real surprise.

While they have looked uninspired, and are usually looked at as an erratic side that can score goals, if you watch their games, the defense has been fantastic. They really just don't surrender good chances to anyone. It's not something I expect from them. The winner of France - Germany should beat them, but it isn't going to be easy.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Dar Germans, shiztna!!

There are days that I don't like soccer. Yesterday was one. Germany took a page from the old UConn NCAA tournament playbook and utter dominated the game and lost 2-0. It's frustrating to me that this sport allows that. It was also frustrating that the refs repeatedly allowed extreme obstruction by the French (including stuff that would be a penalty in any NFL game), rather than calling the fouls as they existed, which would have opened up the game.

Go Portugal!

Reaction Score
That PK was a killer and really no excuse for Germany.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That PK was a killer and really no excuse for Germany.
That was the second stupid handling in the PA in a row. Boateng and Schweinstieger, WTF? Germany should have scored a couple times in the 1st half and put the game away. Muller, Silver Boot in the WC and and hasn't scored in 2 Euros.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Germany lost fair and square.
Yep they blew it. France played much better in the second half, so you have to give them credit there.

Reaction Score
Portugal pulled a Greece. Similar tactics and beat the superior host nation. Kind of a poetic way to win their first major trophy.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
About the only bright spot was that they won with Ronaldo on the bench. Hard to grab the glory from there.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Portugal pulled a Greece. Similar tactics and beat the superior host nation. Kind of a poetic way to win their first major trophy.

Their defense has been fairly impenetrable all tournament. And since that's how France beat a superior German team, it seems a fair way for France to go out.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Bummed Portugal won, but at least Ronaldo wasn't around for it. Like most of this Euro, kind of a dull game. (for neutrals anyway)

Reaction Score
So CR7 has been the problem for Portugal all along ;)

Overall a pretty blah final. I'm just happy it didn't come down to PK's. Amazingly Portugal didn't win a game in the group stage, finishes third, loses arguably one of the best players in the world early on in the final match, and still comes out with the hardware. Tip of the hat.

Now we can get back to Club play, and the preseason tours that are about to get under way!!

Reaction Score
Before we say goodbye to EURO 2016, check out what EURO 2020 will look like... (hint: a show)
Euro 2020: get ready for games from Bilbao to Baku and more minnows
I'm so confused.

Two things not mentioned in the article are (1) it will elevate the FIFA rankings of the better UEFA clubs, which will put more of them in the Seeded pool for World Cup draws. The way the FIFA ratings work, competitive fixtures are weighted more heavily than friendlies. If UEFA is in fact replacing many friendlies with these 'competitive' matches, there are more games with higher weighting to them. (2) It will limit the number of friendlies teams from CONCACAF, CONMEBOL and the other continents will paly against UEFA clubs. They will have fewer openings for friendlies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom