EURO 2016 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

EURO 2016

Reaction Score
I'm so confused.

Two things not mentioned in the article are (1) it will elevate the FIFA rankings of the better UEFA clubs, which will put more of them in the Seeded pool for World Cup draws. The way the FIFA ratings work, competitive fixtures are weighted more heavily than friendlies. If UEFA is in fact replacing many friendlies with these 'competitive' matches, there are more games with higher weighting to them. (2) It will limit the number of friendlies teams from CONCACAF, CONMEBOL and the other continents will paly against UEFA clubs. They will have fewer openings for friendlies.
I gave up at trying to understand what that tournament is all about. I don't even understand how Euro Qualifying will run in the future. Also not a fan of 13 host cities versus 1 host nation. How the hell will fans travel?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I gave up at trying to understand what that tournament is all about. I don't even understand how Euro Qualifying will run in the future. Also not a fan of 13 host cities versus 1 host nation. How the hell will fans travel?
I'll explain the best I can. The UEFA Nations League is the new tournament that had unanimous approval because it makes everyone more money. It basically applies the club theme of promotion and relegation to national teams in Europe. Here's how it and the EURO qualifying work. For 2020, there will be 10 qualifying groups (with either five or six teams). The top two teams automatically qualify for the tournament (20 in total). The Nations League divides the 55 nations into 4 divisions (similar to the PL, Championship, League One and Two in England). Each each is divided into four groups of three or four teams. I believe the group stage is double round robin. The four group winners of Division A (top division) play in the four-team tournament to crown a champion. The worst four teams in each division (worst in each group) are relegated; the group winners from the division below are promoted. The four other EURO teams come from the playoffs (one per division). The four highest-ranked countries in each division not already qualified play in a playoff for one spot.

Reaction Score
I'll explain the best I can. The UEFA Nations League is the new tournament that had unanimous approval because it makes everyone more money. It basically applies the club theme of promotion and relegation to national teams in Europe. Here's how it and the EURO qualifying work. For 2020, there will be 10 qualifying groups (with either five or six teams). The top two teams automatically qualify for the tournament (20 in total). The Nations League divides the 55 nations into 4 divisions (similar to the PL, Championship, League One and Two in England). Each each is divided into four groups of three or four teams. I believe the group stage is double round robin. The four group winners of Division A (top division) play in the four-team tournament to crown a champion. The worst four teams in each division (worst in each group) are relegated; the group winners from the division below are promoted. The four other EURO teams come from the playoffs (one per division). The four highest-ranked countries in each division not already qualified play in a playoff for one spot.
Until I see the "league" in action, I'm a little skeptical. I could be wrong but I heard the small teams "Division 4/5" get more of a chance to qualify than before. So I wonder to myself, why not a team like N Ireland purposely get relegated to the lowest division and just qualify through the worst division route. Maybe there are safeguards against that, but idk. Thanks for the summarization.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Until I see the "league" in action, I'm a little skeptical. I could be wrong but I heard the small teams "Division 4/5" get more of a chance to qualify than before. So I wonder to myself, why not a team like N Ireland purposely get relegated to the lowest division and just qualify through the worst division route. Maybe there are safeguards against that, but idk. Thanks for the summarization.
That's an interesting point. Very observant. Honestly, UEFA was thinking only about money when they concocted this and clearly not about some complications.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom