espnW's countdown of the top 25 players in WCBB | Page 5 | The Boneyard

espnW's countdown of the top 25 players in WCBB

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Thats right because only guards can be athletic and mobile. Sorry Breanna Stewart, Candace Parker and Elena Della Donne, I guess you are just not mobile or athletic enough!

Come on now. I said less mobile, not immobile. Are any of those players anywhere near as athletic as Gabby? I think not. Name me a 6-5 player that can move and jump like Gabby. Pretty sure such an individual doesn't exist.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Come on now. I said less mobile, not immobile. Are any of those players anywhere near as athletic as Gabby? I think not. Name me a 6-5 player that can move and jump like Gabby. Pretty sure such an individual doesn't exist.

Jonquel Jones might not be too far away.

(I agree in principle with your point, just throwing that out there).

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Zach LaVine?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Zach LaVine?

Yes, men's basketball players 6-5 or taller that can jump like Gabby are a dime a dozen. I almost added a caveat about it being a female player, but thought it was implied enough. Can you imagine how much women's basketball could be revolutionized if men were allowed to play?

Reaction Score
IF said player does exist I hope Geno is around to coach her.

Reaction Score
This is incredibly BAD for WBB...:)

Yes not a good look for WBB overall. Doubt there has ever been 4 players from one team ranked in top 10 and 5 in top 13. What a job by Geno.

Reaction Score
Kia started the season slowly, possibly feeling some pressure as the conference pre-season POY; however, she finished the season hot. In the first 2 rounds of the NCAA tourney, she shot 6-7 and 9-12 from the arc. Those are numbers that Lou, Maya, Diana, Kaleena, or anyone else would he happy with.

Kia was the only weak link on the team early in the season. She was shooting so bad you felt sorry for her. I didn’t realize she was recovering from hernia surgery.

Reaction Score
Azura probably won’t be on this list. Not because she isn’t very good but exactly because of the reason you stated...

Everything we know about Azura so far is from her time at Duke and the expectation that she’ll be a better player because she’s now being coached by Geno. Can’t really place a player off of expectation alone.

FWIW, Allisha Gray wasn’t on this list last year either, likely for the exact same reason. It’s not far fetched to think that Gray was one of the top 25 players in the country last year.. Had Gray returned, she would be on this list. I suspect Stevens will be on the list next year if she returns.

Gray was a better pro her first year in WNBA then she was her last year at SC. She really surprised me. Not as much as Chong did by making the team and playing decent when she got playing time despite her injury. She is good. Chong was the X factor in the Sweet 16 vs UCLA. 16 points and nice defense

Reaction Score
Did you miss the NCAA tournament? Kia established an all time record hitting an amazing 22 of 32 3-pt shots (68%)

Yes I didn’t see her good shooting nights which were most when you shoot 46% overall . Saw the bad ones and they were bad. She had no confidence early in the year. Did she improve.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes I didn’t see her good shooting nights which were most when you shoot 46% overall . Saw the bad ones and they were bad. She had no confidence early in the year. Did she improve.
Yes she did. Did you read my prior post?

Reaction Score
You said if she was 6-5 she wouldnt be that mobile! Stewie was mobile and athletic! Gabby is a world class high jumper that was the best athlete in CBB last year men or women according to Jay Bilas!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
What if games are kinda fun, although inherently silly. If you stretched Gabby Williams and made her 6 inches taller, I tend to doubt she would be exactly the same player she is now, only 6 inches taller. If it was that simple, any player + 6 inches would probably have quite a bit more impact. Can you imagine Kelsey Plum being exactly the same, only 6-2 or 6-3? She might've averaged over 40 points and maybe 8 or 9 rebounds per game last year. And A'ja Wilson would be pushing 7 feet tall. As would Kalani Brown.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
the best athlete in CBB last year men or women according to Jay Bilas!

I don't care if Bilas said it, that's just ridiculous. If she was competing against men, her athleticism would not set her apart from her peers the way it does now. That's a case of hyperbole is what that is.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A SOPHOMORE at #8. That's impressive!

ESPN's top 25 is a very upperclassmen-dominanted group, with 14 seniors, 9 juniors, and only 2 sophomores. However, all 9 of the juniors are in the top 17.

It's interesting as well that Ruthy Hebard at #25 is the only other sophomore on the list. I'm glad she's getting recognized because I was a big fan of hers all last year when hardly anyone was talking about her.

Last year, it was Slocum, Ionescu, and Holmes who got all the publicity as potential NFOYs. Interesting that they decided to leave off Holmes, I suppose because of her suspension? And I can't help but wonder where Slocum would be ranked if she hadn't transferred.

Reaction Score
So Jaime Nared didn’t make the list and Mercedes Russell did??? I wouldn’t put Ionescu that high. I would put Kalani Brown and Azura ahead of Asia Durr and Ionescu. I thin Brown has the potential to be Top 5, I just don’t want to say she’s better than any body in the top 5 except for Mitchell and depending on what kind of improvements she has made, Samuelson.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Thank you for the 2 clarifications. "Most complete player" is an entirely different statement than "best athlete."

Reaction Score
My top 5 would be:

1) Gabby
2)Wilson
3)Collier
4)Brown
5) Lou

ESPN probably will be
1) Wilson
2) Mitchell
3)Gabby
4)Napheesa
5)Lou

Reaction Score

I can't name a 6'5 player. I can name a 6'4 player.

Monique Billings is every bit as athletic as Gabby.

She is an ambidextrous finisher, she can sky, rebound and block shots just as good as the top players in the country. She is very quick, very mobile.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom