espnW's countdown of the top 25 players in WCBB | Page 2 | The Boneyard

espnW's countdown of the top 25 players in WCBB

Reaction Score
You're cherry-picking. Guards are generally expected to be better outside shooters, ball-handlers, and passers than post players. Collier shot 68% from the floor on the season. She also had a lot more rebounds. Not saying I'd pick one over the other, but you can't base it off of one game. There were a number of games where Lou struggled and Collier dominated.
^^^^^ What he said^^^^^^
I wasn't going to bring up any bad games by any players. Again looking at their (both of them) body of work, they are right where they should be.

Reaction Score
So the preseason polls list Texas as high as 2 or 3, but the Horns' best player is only the 20th best in the country. No sign of any Longhorns on most first and second team preseason all American lists. I think one of the preseason expectations has to be wrong. For the Horns to finish in the top 4, someone has to play like a top 10 player. I would say top 5, if UConn players weren't sucking up 3 to 4 of those spots.
So who will step up fo TX?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Why does everyone put Collier in front of kls? Kls is a much better shooter and passer and ball handler then collier. Where was the AA collier against miss st.? Only gabby and kls showed up in the final 4.
Here you go again! You are just salty because Napheesa is going to cost you $100 bucks come Sunday when she starts against Stanford. @meyers7 said cash only!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Logically speaking, you would think that the 12 ladies that made the USA U23 roster and the 3 players (5 minus the 2 duplicates) that made the USA national team training camp roster would be in the top 15. I'm just saying - the best of the best college players (U23) + college players good enough to make the national team.

So in all of this where does Azura fit. Does she make the list at all?
I agree. Kia should be in the top 15 at the very least (Top 10).

1) Lexie Brown made 3rd team AP All-American in 2014-15 before transferring to Duke and sitting out a year. She didnt make this ESPN preseason top 25 list last season (if i remember correctly). Not sure if Diamond Deshields did either.... in the year after she transferred.

2) I recall Nurse being on the top 10 in last year's preseason ESPN ranking... though I could be mistaken.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
*Puts on homer hat*

Will be curious to see if they include anyone from ND.

Maybe Arike is in the next installment but if not then there likely won't be.
Why so down on Mabry? I think she’s got game and plays more under control than Arike and doesn’t disappear in big moments like Arike. I am holding out hope for her!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
1) Lexie Brown made 3rd team AP All-American in 2014-15 before transferring to Duke and sitting out a year. She didnt make this ESPN preseason top 25 list last season (if i remember correctly). Not sure if Diamond Deshields did either.... in the year after she transferred.

2) I recall Nurse being on the top 10 in last year's preseason ESPN ranking... though I could be mistaken.
You are not mistaken.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
*Puts on homer hat*

Will be curious to see if they include anyone from ND.

Maybe Arike is in the next installment but if not then there likely won't be.

Maybe they put in Shepard? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Why so down on Mabry? I think she’s got game and plays more under control than Arike and doesn’t disappear in big moments like Arike. I am holding out hope for her!

Not down on her at all. Just think Arike is the more likely of the two to feature in this list.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maybe they put in Shepard?
That would raise a lot of eyebrows because Shepard would be jumping quite a few kids that were on 1st team all Big 10 last year like Megan Gustafson & Hallie Thome.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Not down on her at all. Just think Arike is the more likely of the two to feature in this list.

Im curious to see if she makes it. Of course Im a bit biased.... but I think Greenwell is better..... and actually was suprised that she made the list.. and at #18 to boot. They both were All-ACC...... Arike O made that U-23 team...... but perhaps Greenwell would have made it if she had been able to play in Japan. We shall find out in the morning.

Reaction Score
1. Wilson
2. Williams
3. Mitchell
4. K.Brown
5. Samuelson
6. Collier
7. L.Brown
8. Durr
9. Cunningham
10. Canada
11. Anigwe
12. Nurse
13. Ionescu
14. Harris
15. Nared

This would make a good final 15, I would add the young lady from Princeton Isabella Alarie is a very good player, and should have been in the top 25.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Im curious to see if she makes it. Of course Im a bit biased.... but I think Greenwell is better..... and actually was suprised that she made the list.. and at #18 to boot. They both were All-ACC. Arike O made that U-23 team. but perhaps Greenwell would have made it if she had been able to play in Japan. We shall find out in the morning.

They surely can't have Greenwell and not Lexie Brown. It's going to be kind of strange if they have two from Duke and none from ND yet have ND ranked higher in their poll.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
So the preseason polls list Texas as high as 2 or 3, but the Horns' best player is only the 20th best in the country. No sign of any Longhorns on most first and second team preseason all American lists. I think one of the preseason expectations has to be wrong. For the Horns to finish in the top 4, someone has to play like a top 10 player. I would say top 5, if UConn players weren't sucking up 3 to 4 of those spots.

I just about choked on that, too. Brooke was at the National Team camp, too, along with the UConn trio and A'ja.

Reaction Score
Top 15 no particular order. A’ja Wilson, Kelsey Mitchell, Gabby Williams, Napheesa Collier, Katie Lou, Asia Durr, Lexie Brown, Jordan Canada, Jaime Nared, Kalani Brown, Sophie Cunningham, Kristine Anigwe, Sabrina Ionescu, Arike Ogunbowale, Kia Nurse, Azuré Stephens ... This is 16 so somebody will be left of this list, probably Stephens since she didn’t play last year.

Reaction Score
KLS, Gabby, Pheesa, Kia, & Azura should all be in the top 15! Not UCONN bias they're just among the most talented players in the country!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
They surely can't have Greenwell and not Lexie Brown. It's going to be kind of strange if they have two from Duke and none from ND yet have ND ranked higher in their poll.

Yeah... but look at Texas. Their only ranked player was #20.... yet they are ranked #2 or #3 in the poll.

Reaction Score
Maybe it has to do with the perception of the coaching, even though MM considers “flopping” a
basic necessary skill she at least doesn’t treat her players like speed bumps for the bus.

Reaction Score
Why does everyone put Collier in front of kls? Kls is a much better shooter and passer and ball handler then collier. Where was the AA collier against miss st.? Only gabby and kls showed up in the final 4.
None of that matters now. This is a new season, new team. Collier's work for the entire last season is what is probably being looked at. Also, I'm sure neither Collier or Samuelson would care where they are placed on this list... As a Husky Fan, I would never pit one Husky against another.. I cheer for both...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

You are not mistaken.
Last year -
  1. A'ja Wilson
  2. Brianna Turner
  3. Kelsey Mitchell
  4. Shatori Walker-Kimbrough
  5. Nina Davis
  6. Kelsey Plum
  7. Kia Nurse
  8. Diamond DeShields
  9. Alaina Coates
  10. Lindsay Allen
  11. Myisha Hines-Allen
  12. Makayla Epps
  13. Alexis Jones
  14. Leticia Romero
  15. Sydney Weise
  16. Brionna Jones
  17. Katie Lou Samuelson
  18. Victoria Vivens
  19. Alexus Peterson
  20. Nia Coffey
  21. Jordan Canada
  22. Mariya Moore
  23. Erica McCall
  24. Kristine Anigwe
  25. Katelyn Flaherty

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The next five are up:
www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21290497/espnw-top-25-women-college-basketball-players-2017-18

25. Ruthy Hebard, Oregon, So.
24. Myisha Hines-Allen, Louisville, Sr.
23. Morgan William, Mississippi State, Sr.
22. Monique Billings, UCLA, Sr.
21. Mercedes Russell, Tennessee, Sr.
20. Brooke McCarty, Texas, Sr.
19. Shakayla Thomas, Florida State, Sr.
18. Rebecca Greenwell, Duke, Sr.
17. Tynice Martin, West Virginia, Jr.
16. Victoria Vivians, Mississippi State, Sr.
15. Arike Ogunbowale, Notre Dame, Jr.
14. Kia Nurse, UConn, Sr.
13. Sophie Cunningham, Missouri, Jr.
12. Kristine Anigwe, Cal, Jr.
11. Lexie Brown, Duke, Sr.

I thought Lexie Brown would be higher. That means that Ionescu is in the top 10. My revised predictions:
10. Ionescu 9. Canada 8. Stevens 7. Durr. 6. K. Brown
5. Williams 4. Samuelson 3. Mitchell 2. Collier 1. Wilson

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The next five are up:
www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21290497/espnw-top-25-women-college-basketball-players-2017-18

I thought Lexie Brown would be higher. That means that Ionescu is in the top 10. My revised predictions:
10. Ionescu 9. Canada 8. Stevens 7. Durr. 6. K. Brown
5. Williams 4. Samuelson 3. Mitchell 2. Collier 1. Wilson

Would seem to be those 10 in some order. I think Samuelson will be the highest ranked UConn player.

At least based on her achievements to date, I think Durr is overrated. She scores prolifically and at acceptable efficiency. She doesn't get assists. She doesn't rebound. For my own entertainment:

Durr - 19.2 ppg, 42.4 FG%, 40.5 3FG%, 78.1 FT%, 3.4 rpg, 64 ast, 64 to, 46 stl
Ogunbowale - 15.9 ppg, 44.9 FG%, 45.4 3FG%, 73.2 FT%, 4.8 rpg, 69 ast, 57 to, 43 stl
L. Brown - 18.3 ppg, 48.8 FG%, 39.9 3FG%, 92.8 FT%, 3.7 rpg, 131 ast, 92 to, 96 stl

Brown has arguably the best stat line. Not much separation between Durr and Ogunbowale. Durr played 19 more minutes and scored 104 more points on 67 more FG attempts.

Durr shot 294 3s! At that volume, 40.5% is darn impressive. But if you're jacking up (and being given the green light by Walz to do so, no doubt) that many treys, you had better score some points.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom