espnW's countdown of the top 25 players in WCBB | Page 7 | The Boneyard

espnW's countdown of the top 25 players in WCBB

Reaction Score
Geno had nice things to day about Mitchell in the NY Times. I wonder if there are expanded comments elsewhere.

“She’s impossible to guard — you saw that,” Auriemma said after the game, an 82-63 Connecticut victory. “There’s no shot that she can’t make, won’t take. She gets a head of steam up, forget it. You’re not going to stop her.”

Ohio State’s Kelsey Mitchell Got an Early Start on a Dash to Stardom

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Geno had nice things to day about Mitchell in the NY Times. I wonder if there are expanded comments elsewhere.

Ohio State’s Kelsey Mitchell Got an Early Start on a Dash to Stardom
Thanks for finding this. When I read comments here along the lines of "I'm glad she doesn't play for UConn" or "I wouldn't trade her for [insert name of UConn player]," I think, well, of course not, because the style of play she employs at Ohio State is not compatible with UConn's. It doesn't make her a bad player, and it doesn't necessarily mean she's overrated.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Thanks for finding this. When I read comments here along the lines of "I'm glad she doesn't play for UConn" or "I wouldn't trade her for [insert name of UConn player]," I think, well, of course not, because the style of play she employs at Ohio State is not compatible with UConn's. It doesn't make her a bad player, and it doesn't necessarily mean she's overrated.

I am in absolute agreement that one's evaluation/opinion of a player is subjective. As one who isn't as enamored with Mitchell as others, I'll say I value shooting percentage more than some other people. I'll also own up to not having had as high an opinion of Angel McCoughtry as others did when she was in college. She was similar in that she was fearless, fast, and never met a shot she didn't like. After a few years in the W, she's shown my how good she really is, and I'm eating a whole lot of crow.

Reaction Score
Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, Wilson last year averaged 3.6 ppg more than Gabby at a slightly better efficiency (58.8% vs. 58.1%). Gabby had more steals but A'ja had more blocks. I get what you're saying about all the ways that Gabby can impact the game, but to suggest that A'ja isn't even in the conversation is to sacrifice objectivity to homerism.

Part of the "problem" (a luxurious problem to have, IMO) with the case for Gabby as NPOY is that there's not even a consensus that she's the best player on her own team. I know people have passionate opinions on this topic, but one can only recognize that it's a question on which reasonable people can disagree.
What can I say???

I'm a homer.:D

Reaction Score
I can't name a 6'5 player. I can name a 6'4 player.

Monique Billings is every bit as athletic as Gabby.

She is an ambidextrous finisher, she can sky, rebound and block shots just as good as the top players in the country. She is very quick, very mobile.

I’m a neutral fan and have watched Monique Billings in person and TV since she was a freshman . I’m in PAC 12 country and she’s terrific but Gabby has better instincts and is a superior athlete. I’m a big Billings backer too. Nobody’s got it on Gabby. Her focus, quicks and athleticism it tops.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just curious whom you have as their best player? Personally, I love McCowan's game; I think she's very underrated.

She played very poorly on the offensive side in her first game. She'll need to step it up quickly.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just saw today's Louisville box score.

This take looks...not good :oops:
Durr had 47 and outscored Mitchell.

Since late in her freshman year, Durr has been on a roll.

Reaction Score
Durr had 47 and outscored Mitchell.

Since late in her freshman year, Durr has been on a roll.

Mitchell wasn't really focused on scoring until the second half. I believe she had 0 pts in the first quarter.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Mitchell wasn't really focused on scoring until the second half. I believe she had 0 pts in the first quarter.
What? Kelsey Mitchell? Not focused on scoring? Did someone take her sneakers away?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Anyone want to juggle the list of 25 players after today? ;)

I’m tempted, but it’s only 1 game (or 2).

I think we will have different stars in different games. We have 6 really good players.

Reaction Score
Kelsey Mitchell is not better than any of the top 6 UConn players. UConn plays as a team. They don't worry about stats.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom