espnW's countdown of the top 25 players in WCBB | Page 6 | The Boneyard

espnW's countdown of the top 25 players in WCBB

Reaction Score
Wilson over Gabby??? Laughable.

From baseline to baseline NOBODY can do what GW can do. She can impact a game in more ways than ANY player in WCBB.

Can Wilson check any player at any position on defense???No.
Can Wilson score in as many ways as GW??? No.
Can Wilson play transition like GW??? No.
Can Wilson pass like GW??? No.
Can Wilson wreak havoc in the open floor on both ends like GW??? No.
Does Wilson have the speed, agility, mobility, athleticism to front a full court press like GW?No.

There is nothing Wilson can do on a basketball court that Gabby can't, but there is plenty Gabby can do that Wilson can't.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Wilson over Gabby??? Laughable.

From baseline to baseline NOBODY can do what GW can do. She can impact a game in more ways than ANY player in WCBB.

Can Wilson check any player at any position on defense???No.
Can Wilson score in as many ways as GW??? No.
Can Wilson play transition like GW??? No.
Can Wilson pass like GW??? No.
Can Wilson wreak havoc in the open floor on both ends like GW??? No.
Does Wilson have the speed, agility, mobility, athleticism to front a full court press like GW?No.

There is nothing Wilson can do on a basketball court that Gabby can't, but there is plenty Gabby can do that Wilson can't.
Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, Wilson last year averaged 3.6 ppg more than Gabby at a slightly better efficiency (58.8% vs. 58.1%). Gabby had more steals but A'ja had more blocks. I get what you're saying about all the ways that Gabby can impact the game, but to suggest that A'ja isn't even in the conversation is to sacrifice objectivity to homerism.

Part of the "problem" (a luxurious problem to have, IMO) with the case for Gabby as NPOY is that there's not even a consensus that she's the best player on her own team. I know people have passionate opinions on this topic, but one can only recognize that it's a question on which reasonable people can disagree.

Reaction Score
I know a lot of folks will disagree, but in a heartbeat I'd take Ionescu over Mitchell. Ionescu is controlled, focused, has the heart of a lion. Mitchell is super high energy and very productive, but needs to be in complete control of the offense, and that's a liability when there are 4 other players out there.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
ESPN's top 5

1. Wilson
2. Mitchell
3. Collier
4. Williams
5. Samuelson

The top 25 women's basketball players for 2017-18

I'm surprised they have Mitchell at number 2 only because ESPN didn't even invite her to the pre-season hype event at ESPN studios. (I also think the Huskies are more well-rounded players...but glad Gabby is getting her recognition)

Reaction Score
Mitchell is so overrated. I agree with Bags27, I would take Ionescu over Mitchell 7 days a week. It's silly...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m not going to quibble over the order of the top 5. That will sort itself out during the season.

The fact that UConn has 5 of the top 14 players is fantastic, considering that no other team has more than 2 of the top 25.

If I have to complain about something, it might be that UConn doesn’t have 6 players on the list, although that could well change by the end of the season with either Danger or MW earning some love from the sports reporters on various post season teams.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I’m not going to quibble over the order of the top 5. That will sort itself out during the season.

The fact that UConn has 5 of the top 14 players is fantastic, considering that no other team has more than 2 of the top 25.

If I have to complain about something, it might be that UConn doesn’t have 6 players on the list, although that could well change by the end of the season with either Danger or MW earning some love from the sports reporters on various post season teams.
By the end of the year, Crystal will be top 25, I believe.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, Wilson last year averaged 3.6 ppg more than Gabby at a slightly better efficiency (58.8% vs. 58.1%). Gabby had more steals but A'ja had more blocks. I get what you're saying about all the ways that Gabby can impact the game, but to suggest that A'ja isn't even in the conversation is to sacrifice objectivity to homerism.

Part of the "problem" (a luxurious problem to have, IMO) with the case for Gabby as NPOY is that there's not even a consensus that she's the best player on her own team. I know people have passionate opinions on this topic, but one can only recognize that it's a question on which reasonable people can disagree.

Good points here. To be blunt - Wilson was the best player on the National Champions last year. She owes Morgan William a nice fruit basket for doing the dirty work of taking out UConn but the point remains...

Gabby is great but it's a different challenge to be the player whom the team is built around. Obviously, Wilson had some pretty good backup in Gray, Davis, and Coates, but I don't think there was ever a question as to whose team it was. It was Wilson's.

I do think that the UConn players cancel each other out a bit for that reason when it comes to deciding these types of honors.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
A lot of this "ranking" is based on perceptions of what the "experts" deem important. Seems that many value points per game average and scoring. Others, and I include myself in this group, value a complete game player. A player that has a balance of scoring, and depending on position, rebounds or assists and or steals. Also add into that defensive play. Can you actually play defense.

So my top 5:
1. Wilson
2. Gabby
3. Pheesa
4. Lou
5. Mitchell

Reaction Score
Just for giggles!

UCONN 5
Miss. St. 2
Duke 2
Oregon 2
L'ville 2
UCLA 2
SoCar 1
TN 1
Baylor 1
the OSU 1
FSU 1
Calif 1
TX 1
ND 1
MO 1
WVU 1
------------------------------------------

Stanford 0
TX A&M 0
MD 0
MSU 0
Mich 0
Oregon St. 0
Washington 0
Miami 0
Okla 0
Marq 0
SoFl 0
DePaul 0

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just for giggles!

UCONN 5
Miss. St. 2
Duke 2
Oregon 2
L'ville 2
UCLA 2
SoCar 1
TN 1
Baylor 1
the OSU 1
FSU 1
Calif 1
TX 1
ND 1
MO 1
WVU 1
------------------------------------------

Stanford 0
TX A&M 0
MD 0
MSU 0
Mich 0
Oregon St. 0
Washington 0
Miami 0
Okla 0
Marq 0
SoFl 0
DePaul 0
If this same representation prevails for the post season AA teams, UConn will most assuredly be 38-0 with another banner to hang at Gampel.

Reaction Score
IMO the top 5 could have gone in almost any order...many possible configurations. AND, while the recognition is "nice"... it's a "guess" by the "experts" of what will be coming during the season. Another group of "experts" would likely have a different ranking... BUT, again, it's a "prediction" based on past performance. BUT, in the words of Geno himself... "last year UCONN had no returning All Americans and no preseason All Americans. But in the end, UCONN had 3 AAs... so someone "predicted" to be AA didn't make it."

Again, IMO, I believe the Huskies in the Top 25 WILL be there at the end of the year... BUT the Recognition/Title that will mean the MOST to ALL of them will be National Champion.

Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
Wilson already projecting to be the #1 draft pick ahead of her senior season probably plays some part in her ranking.

I consider Gabby the heart and soul of the UConn team, but she's so unconventional that I don't blame anyone (who is trying to be objective) if they struggle to know where to rank her.

Mitchell is fairly unique. I've never seen anyone move with the ball like her. Scores in multiple ways. Has the all time scoring record in her sights (I don't think she'll make it.... of course I thought the same thing about Plum). I see her being a great player and even better if she has other great players around her. If she played for UConn, I'm sure she would be appreciated here.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
IMO the top 5 could have gone in almost any order...many possible configurations. AND, while the recognition is "nice"... it's a "guess" by the "experts" of what will be coming during the season. Another group of "experts" would likely have a different ranking... BUT, again, it's a "prediction" based on past performance. BUT, in the words of Geno himself... "last year UCONN had no returning All Americans and no preseason All Americans. But in the end, UCONN had 3 AAs... so someone "predicted" to be AA didn't make it."

Again, IMO, I believe the Huskies in the Top 25 WILL be there at the end of the year... BUT the Recognition/Title that will mean the MOST to ALL of them will be National Champion.

Go Huskies!!

This is great perspective. At this time last year, UConn's "big three" were completely unheralded. But then the season started, and everyone could clearly see how great they were. It was their time.

And as nice and fun as individual recognition is for us fans to talk about, the players care little about it. As Geno said, if you come to Uconn there's a good chance you won't lead the country in anything ... except wins.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm projecting a bit (which is what you're supposed to do in these things), but they didn't even recognize MSU's best player.

Just curious whom you have as their best player? Personally, I love McCowan's game; I think she's very underrated.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This is great perspective. At this time last year, UConn's "big three" were completely unheralded. But then the season started, and everyone could clearly see how great they were. It was their time.

And as nice and fun as individual recognition is for us fans to talk about, the players care little about it. As Geno said, if you come to Uconn there's a good chance you won't lead the country in anything ... except wins.
It's amazing that, only one year after having Stewie, Moriah, and Morgan as the Big 3, we had Lou, Pheesa, and Gabby as a new Big 3. They developed so much, so quickly.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
How many people had Williams top 4 in the nation as a senior and Kia "only" 14th? Gabby's transformation from freshman to senior is a testament to hard work and terrific coaching. Again no slight at all to Kia.

Reaction Score
The only time I've seen Mitchell play is against Uconn. Against the Huskies the past two seasons, she didn't do much. But then again, most players get shut down by the Uconn defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom