ESPN's Way Too Early Rankings -- UConn moves up! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

ESPN's Way Too Early Rankings -- UConn moves up!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
No, I'm just responding to a thread where you nitpicked a comment I made and I'm trying to reiterate my point that Oregon State wasn't close to being at the level UCONN was a year ago. Oregon State finished the year playing its worst basketball and despite returning some talented players and having a great coach, I don't see zero argument for Creme to have ranked them ahead of UCONN in the preseason.

Okay, we don't need to keep dragging this out. You're focused on comparing OSU and UConn, I've never even commented on that aspect. I just thought you weren't giving them enough credit for what they did last year.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Let's hope we can have OSU-UCONN settle this on the court in the NCAA Playoffs!

I'd love to see OSU upset UCONN. Despite my tone in this thread, I love Rueck as a coach and would love to see his program take the next step as establishing itself as a WBB powerhouse.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Let's hope we can have OSU-UCONN settle this on the court in the NCAA Playoffs!

Let's hope so. Hopefully your team will play better than they did in Albany last season. I was there and OSU was pretty awful.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
They were one step shy of doing just that last year...if only Louisville didn't get in the way.
After watching the battle between UConn & UCLA at the TUC, I hung around to check out the game between the Beavers & the Cardinals. Like most UConn fans who stayed around for the 2nd Sweet 16 game, I was cheering for OSU.

While I truly appreciate Scott Rueck’s coaching ability, particularly on the defensive side, he has yet to crack the offensive code that high scoring teams like Oregon, Baylor, ND & UConn live by in big games, and it really showed vs Louisville. Over the course of the game the OSU offense became stagnant, and ultimately fell into a pattern of throwing up contested shots from the arc that had little chance of going in. I believe they were 2/22 from the 3 pt line.

While OSU can “win ugly” against almost anyone, it seems to me that in order to win it all, they really need to upgrade their offense. If defense-minded Vic Schaefer could do it at MSU, Rueck should be able to do the same at OSU.

Reaction Score
@oldude, you are correct with your analysis from last year--without a solid BIG, and missing Kat Tudor, it was a difficult NCAA Playoff. Beavers played in Italy this summer, and watched all 4 games (via Facebook). OSU has some dynamic freshman BIGs. 6'6", 6'4" (with Lauren Cox arms), and, a 6'9" Serbian who didn't play but will. this season.

Beavers are going to be dynamic this year with Pivec, Slocum, Tudor, Goodman, Jasmine Simmons as our guard corp. Taya Corosdale at forward, and many dynamic posts. This team vs last year's team has far more potential (on offense and defense). The passing among these team members, will be very solid, because our new BIGs are terrific passers. Whereas last year, I was somewhat hopeful (before Kat Tudor went down), this year, OSU is going to surprise many, starting in the PAC-12.

Reaction Score
For A&M to be a top 5 team, they pretty much have to be the top team in the SEC and I really don’t see that happening this season. The Aggies will almost certainly be looking up at your Bulldogs, and likely several other conference teams by the end of the season.

I haven't watched a lot of TAMU but they've never struck me as a top 5 team. To clarify, I've watched them play South Carolina, Missouri, and Miss State I believe. No question when she is going she's a scorer, but when teams have done a job defending her she will take them right out of a game.

I guess the rationale is that they are the highest finishing team in the SEC that returns almost everyone, but they just seemed like a pretty good team that isn't really adding much.

When you factor in their brutal conference road schedule, I don't see them winning the league unless the conference doesn't have any top line contenders. Which is possible.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I haven't watched a lot of TAMU but they've never struck me as a top 5 team. To clarify, I've watched them play South Carolina, Missouri, and Miss State I believe. No question when she is going she's a scorer, but when teams have done a job defending her she will take them right out of a game.

I guess the rationale is that they are the highest finishing team in the SEC that returns almost everyone, but they just seemed like a pretty good team that isn't really adding much.

When you factor in their brutal conference road schedule, I don't see them winning the league unless the conference doesn't have any top line contenders. Which is possible.

I agree. I think if Vic/Dawn can blend their new talent well, they'll surpass TAMU. Kentucky is also intriguing and Tennessee has a talented roster that could be lightyears better with a new coach.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
PAC-12 is easily best women’s basketball conference, top to bottom. Second tier teams routinely give conference’s top teams a battle. Last year Colorado, ranked early but dropping out of rankings after being hit with injuries, nearly beat Stanford with CU’s best player out with injury. As great as UConn is, it would probably never go undefeated in conference play if it were in the Pac-12.
We used to have a saying that, to me, still has validity. "If your second string can beat your first string, you don't have two first strings!" I think that bodes the same in conferences. If the second tier beats the first tier, you don't have two first tiers. I believe history has already proved that in the case of the PAC-12

Reaction Score
We used to have a saying that, to me, still has validity. "If your second string can beat your first string, you don't have two first strings!" I think that bodes the same in conferences. If the second tier beats the first tier, you don't have two first tiers. I believe history has already proved that in the case of the PAC-12

While I have witnessed many of those upsets, many of them had a lot more to do with the poor play of the visiting teams than the inspired play of the home team. I have no iron in this fire and I have never seen such a wide swing in quality of play between a team's play at home and on the road as in the P12. And I also think the P12 refs are brutal homers so that contributes. Sorry if that hurts. I do agree that right now, the P12 is the top of the P5 conferences. But that is because the bottom 2/3's of all the other teams in those confs. are mediocre/bad.

Reaction Score
Would you say that about the ACC Men's basketball conference? PAC-12 WBB is the up and coming conference in WCBB. I believe we will see a WCBB National Champion come from the PAC-12 in the next few years, if not this coming season.

Reaction Score
Would you say that about the ACC Men's basketball conference? PAC-12 WBB is the up and coming conference in WCBB. I believe we will see a WCBB National Champion come from the PAC-12 in the next few years, if not this coming season.

Well wouldn't you say the PAC 12 is long overdue at this point? When was the last time a PAC 12 team won it all?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well wouldn't you say the PAC 12 is long overdue at this point? When was the last time a PAC 12 team won it all?

Is that really the measure of the strength of a conference?

The answer is Stanford in '92. Since then UConn and Tennessee have won a majority of the Championships. Notre Dame and Baylor each have multiple titles. Only 6 other teams than those 4 I listed have won a Title in a nearly 30 year period.

Anyway teams win Championships, not conferences. Did UConn cutting down the nets in '14, '15 and '16 mean the AAC was a strong conference? Of course not, it only means UConn was the best team, says nothing about the rest of the conference.

The Pac 12 has steadily been sending teams to the Final 4. 5 different conference members have made it to the last weekend of the year in the last 6 seasons. What other conference has done that?

Reaction Score
Yes, I would say the PAC-12 is long overdue and is well positioned to have a national champion in the next few years.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Anyway teams win Championships, not conferences. Did UConn cutting down the nets in '14, '15 and '16 mean the AAC was a strong conference? Of course not, it only means UConn was the best team, says nothing about the rest of the conference.

The Pac 12 has steadily been sending teams to the Final 4. 5 different conference members have made it to the last weekend of the year in the last 6 seasons. What other conference has done that?
You beat me to it.

Getting 5 different teams in the Final Four in a 6-year period is truly amazing. And again, this is from a 12-team conference, not these 15-team Frankensteins that still call themselves conferences.

Reaction Score
Sabrina Ionescu, Christyn Williams, Crystal Dangerfield, Evina Westbrook, Chennedy Carter, Rhyne Howard...random names I can think of. Pivec is not athletic, she is more skill, toughness, and grit like a Marina Mabrey type player.
Pivec is not athletic--none of the kids you mentioned with the exception of Rhyne Howard & Sabrina are in the same athletic universe as Pivec, including CW. Pivec threw Javelin for OSU, and won the state HS javelin championship, and ran cross country when in High School. Pivec is an "all-around" better basketball player (scorer, shooting percentage from 3 and overall, rebounder, defender) than any of the players mentioned, minus Sabrina. Pivec has played all 5 positions on the court for OSU, and very competently (incredibly smart and very high basketball IQ). Statements like "Pivec is not athletic, she is more skill, toughness, and grit like a Marina Mabrey type player" would be less common if PAC-12 games were more available to other regions of the US.

Reaction Score
Pivec is not athletic--none of the kids you mentioned with the exception of Rhyne Howard & Sabrina are in the same athletic universe as Pivec, including CW. Pivec threw Javelin for OSU, and won the state HS javelin championship, and ran cross country when in High School. Pivec is an "all-around" better basketball player (scorer, shooting percentage from 3 and overall, rebounder, defender) than any of the players mentioned, minus Sabrina. Pivec has played all 5 positions on the court for OSU, and very competently (incredibly smart and very high basketball IQ). Statements like "Pivec is not athletic, she is more skill, toughness, and grit like a Marina Mabrey type player" would be less common if PAC-12 games were more available to other regions of the US.
If she was as good as you claim, more people would know about her. Nothing to do with PAC 12 games, I know about a lot of players in the PAC 12 including her btw. You obviously live in a very biased, unreal world so I’ll agree to disagree.

Reaction Score
OSU and Stanford are two teams that have the *potential* to be great. Both have the size, talent, and good mix of upper and lower classman and experience. I don’t know how well either team will actually do given that they reside in the toughest conference this year, but it’s not hard to imagine both teams in the Elite 8 or even Final Four.

I’m excited to learn the status of Evian Westbrook and see how Adebayo and Camara play. Those are the three questions I have about UConn going into the season. If Westbrook is approved, Adebayo is the athlete she’s been talked up to be, and Camara can play like she did when she played for Guinea, then this will be a very tough team to beat—quite possibly a title contender. All that said, all we can do is wait and wonder until the exhibition games start.

Reaction Score
If she was as good as you claim, more people would know about her. Nothing to do with PAC 12 games, I know about a lot of players in the PAC 12 including her btw. You obviously live in a very biased, unreal world so I’ll agree to disagree.
The right WCBB experts know about her. Look where she is predicted to go in next year's WNBA draft.

2020 WNBA Mock Draft - WNBA - DraftSite.com
2020 WNBA mock draft: Big Board 2.0 with team projections

Who lives in the "biased, unreal world"?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

If Oregon doesn't win it all this year, the Pac 12 ain't winning a NC for the foreseeable future!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Pivec isn't flashy, she's been getting overlooked and underrated her entire career. I definitely think she will be one of the best players in the Pac 12 this season. I thought she was easily OSU's best player last year but Slocum seemed to garner more attention.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This makes no sense to me. UConn lost two players that was drafted high in the first round while Maryland lost one non-drafted player. Maryland had the 3rd best recruiting class with two top 20 players and UConn had one All American. Granted Maryland lost TWO second round home games, one where they were ranked the 3rd best team in the country. The inability to play well in the NCAA is probably do more to poor coaching than actually talent. If Westbrook does not get her waiver, I'm taking Maryland over UConn.
Having watched Maryland quite a bit in person this past year, let me say one word as to why UConn will be better-Brenda...:rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom