ESPN's Way Too Early Rankings -- UConn moves up! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ESPN's Way Too Early Rankings -- UConn moves up!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I guess that’s your position and you’re sticking with it. I’m really looking forward to the post game discussion on February 4.

But the Feb 3 game is against Oregon, not Oregon State. That's a whole different kettle of fish.

Reaction Score
I think you're wrong. I wish they would have played this season instead of next season. Maryland has a complete 5 player starting lineup. Without Westbrook, UConn have 4 good starters and questions on the 5th. And heaven forbid ONO gets into foul trouble. With Westbrook it would be no contest. UConn easily. Without Westbrook, Maryland could take them. Too bad we can't find out for sure.

Sorry. Until Maryland actually gives UConn a contest, let alone beat them, I'm going to assume UConn is significantly better than Maryland. Regardless of who the Terps put on the floor. Oh, and I think that you are significantly underestimating the talent on UConn's roster. Tell you what, get to the Final Four and we can play you then.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
But the Feb 3 game is against Oregon, not Oregon State. That's a whole different kettle of fish.
Actually it’s a kettle of Ducks vs a kettle of beavers. I sort of feel that if UConn takes care of the top team in the nation at Gampel, that will put an end to any further discussion from Eugene, Corvallis, College Park, South Bend or Knoxville about UConn being less formidable, not being a powerhouse, etc.

Reaction Score
So you’re saying there’s a chance...:cool:
Are you reading that as 97 to 1 against? I prefer (paranoid me) to think is affirmative in nature. How can they leave a kid dangling/hanging in the breeze like this--isn't there a law against cruel and unusual punishment---oops for the NCAA this isn't unusual...
Confidence, UConn and the NCAA should never be used in the same sentence or paragraph or chapter or book. The NCAA is a southern centric and thoroughly corrupt old boys and old girls club. The odds of the waiver coming through? I'd say 97:1.
I resent the SOUTHERN REFERENCE----i LIVED IN NORWALK (SOUTHERN CT). THERE IS NOTHING GOOD about the old boyz in the NCAA. I read somewhere that next year GENO is starting an AACN and will do everything backwards from the NCAA it will be a relief.

Reaction Score
Sorry. Until Maryland actually gives UConn a contest, let alone beat them, I'm going to assume UConn is significantly better than Maryland. Regardless of who the Terps put on the floor. Oh, and I think that you are significantly underestimating the talent on UConn's roster. Tell you what, get to the Final Four and we can play you then.
Jonathan---I'm not a fan of the MD coach in BB in Academics yes---however, I grit my teeth each time Uconn plays them it is nearly always a tough contest to the last minuets. Tough good games. Uconn usually wins but that does not mean ti wasn't or won't be a battle.

Reaction Score
Maryland always beats UConn in September.
I thought this was very funny too.
If I was Maryland, I would not want to play UConn in the Elite 8 let alone the Final 4. Coaching is way more important in the tournament than the regular season. Matchups with be very interesting in the tournament this season.

Reaction Score
I think you're wrong. I wish they would have played this season instead of next season. Maryland has a complete 5 player starting lineup. Without Westbrook, UConn have 4 good starters and questions on the 5th. And heaven forbid ONO gets into foul trouble. With Westbrook it would be no contest. UConn easily. Without Westbrook, Maryland could take them. Too bad we can't find out for sure.
I think as a Maryland fan you are super hyped by the recruiting class (similar to South Carolina fans)that you feel like your team is better than what they are in reality. Good recruiting classes doesn’t always means win; these freshmen have to adjust to college basketball. I’m excited for you guys as well, I love Owusu. You’re in over your head when it comes to UConn. Maryland is another program like Duke, Texas, Tennessee, and others in my opinion. They get loads of talent and never capitalize on it. Frese also likes to play cupcake schedules so she’s never battle tested to win in the post season. Outside of her 2006 championship and recruiting success I’m not impressed by Frese’s coaching ability. I will say that I’m impressed by the rebounding that she gets out of her team, wish we could’ve had that last year. Ultimately, Frese can’t beat Geno. Just can’t!

Reaction Score
5 Pac 12 teams in the top 17? Something has to be wrong,
PAC-12 is easily best women’s basketball conference, top to bottom. Second tier teams routinely give conference’s top teams a battle. Last year Colorado, ranked early but dropping out of rankings after being hit with injuries, nearly beat Stanford with CU’s best player out with injury. As great as UConn is, it would probably never go undefeated in conference play if it were in the Pac-12.

Reaction Score
Yes, UConn will never be able to replace the extreme talent of Pheesa & Lou, and UConn will never be able to replace the defensive brilliance of Gabby & Kia, and UConn will never be able to replace the Big 3....and yet, somehow, some way, the Huskies continue to make it back to the FF every year. :cool:

In response, please review my OP in the thread titled: The Sophomore Leap is Coming!
Well said. I was going to post something similar. Every year it's the same headline: how will UConn replace what it has lost? Since The Big Three left, all this "depleted" program has done is go 107-5 (.955), with three of those five losses coming in the national semi-final game (two of which were lost on buzzer beater prayer shots) with the other two losses coming on the road to the #3 and #7 teams, two undefeated regular seasons, zero losses at home, set a 111-game winning streak, three conference regular season and tournament titles, all while graduating a couple players to the pros every year. I may be going out on a limb here, but I think UConn will be fine this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
PAC-12 is easily best women’s basketball conference, top to bottom. Second tier teams routinely give conference’s top teams a battle. Last year Colorado, ranked early but dropping out of rankings after being hit with injuries, nearly beat Stanford with CU’s best player out with injury. As great as UConn is, it would probably never go undefeated in conference play if it were in the Pac-12.
Right, because UConn never went undefeated in its conference schedule until they joined the AAC.

Reaction Score
I think as a Maryland fan you are super hyped by the recruiting class (similar to South Carolina fans)that you feel like your team is better than what they are in reality. Good recruiting classes doesn’t always means win; these freshmen have to adjust to college basketball. I’m excited for you guys as well, I love Owusu. You’re in over your head when it comes to UConn. Maryland is another program like Duke, Texas, Tennessee, and others in my opinion. They get loads of talent and never capitalize on it. Frese also likes to play cupcake schedules so she’s never battle tested to win in the post season. Outside of her 2006 championship and recruiting success I’m not impressed by Frese’s coaching ability. I will say that I’m impressed by the rebounding that she gets out of her team, wish we could’ve had that last year. Ultimately, Frese can’t beat Geno. Just can’t!
Unfortunately I can't argue with any of this. Maryland did have that brilliant two year run in 2013/14 and 2014/15 when they went to consecutive Final Fours. Probably Brenda's best coaching job. They do have 4 seniors who can play (Charles, Jones, Watson and Vujacic) so they don't have to rely on freshmen as much as South Carolina or Ohio State. If they don't make it to at least the Elite 8, people are start calling out for Brenda's job.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This makes no sense to me. UConn lost two players that was drafted high in the first round while Maryland lost one non-drafted player. Maryland had the 3rd best recruiting class with two top 20 players and UConn had one All American. Granted Maryland lost TWO second round home games, one where they were ranked the 3rd best team in the country. The inability to play well in the NCAA is probably do more to poor coaching than actually talent. If Westbrook does not get her waiver, I'm taking Maryland over UConn.

UCONN was very far ahead of Maryland last year. The gap lessens but not to the point where Maryland is going to overtake ND. Coaching is everything at the collegiate level. Even with the loss of two stars, they return three All American candidates from a 35-3 team that was a legitimate contender to win it all. Maryland returns everyone from an underwhelming team. I'd take Geno and his short bench over Brenda with everyone coming back until proven otherwise.

Reaction Score
Wrong. Name them.

I don't believe anyone is arguing that. This season's team doesn't have to be a "powerhouse of the past" to make the final four. Last year's team wasn't a powerhouse team of the past and made the final four.

Next season will see the return of the powerhouse of the past.
Sabrina I/UO., Kianna Williams/Stanford, Mikayla Pivec/OSU, Destiny Slocum/OSU, Tyasha Harris/South Carolina, Taylor Mikesell/Maryland, Tiana Mangakahia/Syracuse, Aari McDonald/Arizona....

I could go on.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
That was last year. UCONN's roster doesn't replace the experience and extreme talent of Collier and Samulson (even with Westbrook). Oregon State will be improved from last year, and if Kat Tudor is back, will surely compete for the PAC-12 title.

Results usually carry forward, especially with returning players and coaching staff. Oregon State's offensive chemistry was not good a year ago and ended on a very poor note...what changes that this upcoming year? UCONN obviously loses their 2 stars but they were an elite team a year ago and bring back three double digit scorers. Geno has suffered much greater loses over the past 12 years and has always found a way to get back to the Final Four. Until he fails to accomplish this, anyone not putting UCONN as preseason top 4 is making an uneducated choice IMO.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sabrina I/UO., Kianna Williams/Stanford, Mikayla Pivec/OSU, Destiny Slocum/OSU, Tyasha Harris/South Carolina, Taylor Mikesell/Maryland, Tiana Mangakahia/Syracuse, Aari McDonald/Arizona....

I could go on.

You referenced "superstars in the making" and then you mention Ionescu? LOL Yeah, she's already there.

As for the others, not even close.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I already said they finished poorly. Look at the season on the whole. They had Notre Dame on the ropes til a 4 minute stretch of the 4th quarter. Beat...ahem...the 2nd place team from the SEC. Played Oregon tough in Eugene and beat them in Corvallis. I think Notre Dame and Oregon qualify as 2 of the elite 8 schools from last year and they clearly weren't "a massive step below" them.

If their highlight was losing by 10 to ND in a preseason tournament, I think that speaks for itself. I'm actually pretty high on Oregon State this upcoming season, but they have zero business being considered at the same level as UCONN at this point.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I could go on.
The true test of a great player is how they perform on the biggest stage in March. Other than Ionescu, there is not another guard on your list who played better than Christyn in the Big Dance this past year.

The other players you mention are all good, but you can mark this down and throw it back at me if I’m wrong. So long as she stays healthy, Christyn will be an AA this season.

Reaction Score
Results usually carry forward, especially with returning players and coaching staff. Oregon State's offensive chemistry was not good a year ago and ended on a very poor note...what changes that this upcoming year? UCONN obviously loses their 2 stars but they were an elite team a year ago and bring back three double digit scorers. Geno has suffered much greater loses over the past 12 years and has always found a way to get back to the Final Four. Until he fails to accomplish this, anyone not putting UCONN as preseason top 4 is making an uneducated choice IMO.
Results carry forward to a point...you are totally underestimating the loss of Collier and Samuelson. Regarding OSU, experience is formidable among Mikayla Pivec, Destiny Slocum, Aleah Goodman, Kat Tudor, and Taya Corosdale. However, the big change will be productive post play, which is what was missing last year. By the time OSU gets to PAC-12 conference play, OSU will have a plethora of post talent on display.

Reaction Score
The true test of a great player is how they perform on the biggest stage in March. Other than Ionescu, there is not another guard on your list who played better than Christyn in the Big Dance this past year.

The other players you mention are all good, but you can mark this down and throw it back at me if I’m wrong. So long as she stays healthy, Christyn will be an AA this season.
I don't doubt CW will be an AA, sometime in her career at UCONN. I respectfully disagree with your statement about another guard who played better than CW. Without Mikayla Pivec in post season, OSU would have lost quite a few games in the regular season, as well as in the 1st and 2nd round of the NCAA. CW played well in NCAA tournament, but I don't think she played any better than Pivec, Kianna Williams, & Tiana. I didn't see Maryland or South Carolina games in the NCAA Tournament, but did see some of the Pan American Trials, and Harris & Mikesell were fantastic. CW is solid, but she isn't DT, and she isn't going to carry UCONN on her own to a FF. She is going to need much help from her teammates for UCONN to get to FF.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Results carry forward to a point...you are totally underestimating the loss of Collier and Samuelson. Regarding OSU, experience is formidable among Mikayla Pivec, Destiny Slocum, Aleah Goodman, Kat Tudor, and Taya Corosdale. However, the big change will be productive post play, which is what was missing last year. By the time OSU gets to PAC-12 conference play, OSU will have a plethora of post talent on display.

Oregon State has post players...but can any of them play at a high level?

And Geno has survived the following:
1. Lost Maya Moore from a 36-2 F4 team, went on to make Final Four again

2. Lost Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck from 38-0 team, went on to go 36-1 the next year

3. Lost Williams, Stevens, and Nurse from 36-1 team, went on to go 35-3 the next year

4. Lost Hartley and Dolson from 40-0 team, went on to go 38-1 the next year.

Collier and Samuelson were great players, but Geno has lost great talent and still cruised to Final Fours. UCONN will still be UCONN.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You’re beating this one to death. The loss of Pheesa & Lou is in no way more profound than the graduation of Stewie, Mo & Tuck in 2016. At that time, UConn had far greater questions: No size, little depth and not much experience. End result = 36-1 & OT loss in the FF.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I don't doubt CW will be an AA, sometime in her career at UCONN. I respectfully disagree with your statement about another guard who played better than CW. Without Mikayla Pivec in post season, OSU would have lost quite a few games in the regular season, as well as in the 1st and 2nd round of the NCAA. CW played well in NCAA tournament, but I don't think she played any better than Pivec, Kianna Williams, & Tiana. I didn't see Maryland or South Carolina games in the NCAA Tournament, but did see some of the Pan American Trials, and Harris & Mikesell were fantastic. CW is solid, but she isn't DT, and she isn't going to carry UCONN on her own to a FF. She is going to need much help from her teammates for UCONN to get to FF.

Fortunately for her she has two other returning double digit scorers back and another former top 5 post player on the roster. She has much proven help already.

Players at UCONN are also notorious for elevating their play their sophomore seasons as they take on larger roles and have a better understanding of expectations laid out for them. For a quick reference, each of Stewart, Tuck, Jefferson, KLS, Collier, Hartley, KML, Walker, Dangerfield and Moore among others made massive jumps in their quality of play from freshman to sophomore season. No reason to expect Williams and ONO wont follow suit.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We are going to have to agree to disagree. Yes, Christyn is not DT, who shot 1/15 in her first FF as a freshman. As I pointed out in another thread, Christyn was UConn’s 2nd leading scorer over 5 tournament games, hitting double figures in all of them, with a stat line for the tournament of 17.4 ppg, 49%/44%/79%, 3.4 rpg, 3 apg, 2.1 a/to.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Really? Oregon State a whole different kettle of fish? Last I checked Oregon State is pretty good too
and they have beaten Ionescu led teams 4 of 6 times.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom