ESPN's Way Too Early Rankings -- UConn moves up! | The Boneyard

ESPN's Way Too Early Rankings -- UConn moves up!

Reaction Score
It's never "too early" to read about our Huskies. They have jumped from #7 to #3.... 1 and 2 remain the same, and rightfully so. (Oregon, Baylor). And there is still the matter of Westbrook....
"The most important part of the Huskies' season could come before it starts. The NCAA has yet to rule on the immediate eligibility of Tennessee transfer Evina Westbrook. UConn was initially confident that the Lady Vols' co-leading scorer from last season would be allowed to play right away, but a recent tightening of the transfer rules by the NCAA has made that decision less clear. "

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
TN pushed out from the top 25 (previous ranking 24) and the loss of Tiana Mangakahia pushes Syracuse from #10 out of the top 25.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
5 Pac 12 teams in the top 17? Something has to be wrong,

I miss the good old days when we had 2 AAC teams.

Well, at least our future NBE DePaul is #18. :)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Biggest movers from Apr. 22 to today:
  • UConn up from 7 to 3.
  • Louisville up from 14 to 8.
  • TAMU down from 5 to 10 (not sure why?).
  • UCLA up from 16 to 12.
  • NC State up from 25 to 15 (what changed?).
  • Michigan State down from 13 to 25.
  • Syracuse down from 10 to UR.

Reaction Score
I’m eager to see how Muffet and her team responds to that low of a ranking. They didn’t mention Jackson in their summary on Miss St(odd I thought.). I’m glad they pointed out that Owusu could start at point for Maryland because I’m excited about her. There is a multitude of teams still awaiting for eligibility on players. I didn’t know Yacine Diop still had another year at Louisville. Overall great list, best I’ve seen from them(espn) in a while.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Biggest movers from Apr. 22 to today:

• TAMU down from 5 to 10 (not sure why?).

Maybe saw Chennedy Carter play in 2019 Pan American Games. She was not impressive imho.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I didn't see any of the games, but she was the second leading scorer (11.4ppg) and shot 47% from the field. What did you see during the games that left you unimpressed?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Once again Charlie Creme, ESPN’s so-called WBB expert, demonstrates a carelessness in his facts. In his comments about UConn he cites a number of factors that have to occur this season for the Huskies to make it back to their “12th straight FF.”

Uhm...I’m pretty certain that UConn doesn’t even have to show up to get back to their 12th straight FF since they achieved that goal last season. Somebody needs to tell Charlie we’re working on 13 FF’s in a row.

Reaction Score
5 Pac 12 teams in the top 17? Something has to be wrong,
I think 17 for the Sun Devil's is overly optimistic. Coach Turner-Thorne lost her entire frontcourt. Asking for more production out of Ruden shows Cream's lack of knowledge and preparation as her chronic back issues limit her minutes. Further Cream failed to mention the impact of SC grad transfer Tapley.

The Devil's do have a talented and
deep backcourt but the size of the Pac 12 will certainly challenge the Devils.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I didn't see any of the games, but she was the second leading scorer (11.4ppg) and shot 47% from the field. What did you see during the games that left you unimpressed?

She was streaky. She would make a few, than miss quite a bit. What was her 3% average? Also, she could not really free herself for easy shots like she does in College. Just an impression. Not sure about percentages but I imagine alot of made shots came from leak out layups.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
She was streaky. She would make a few, than miss quite a bit. What was her 3% average? Also, she could not really free herself for easy shots like she does in College. Just an impression. Not sure about percentages but I imagine alot of made shots came from leak out layups.

she only made about 28.5% of her 3pt shots, but pretty small sample size (2-7).

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
she only made about 28.5% of her 3pt shots, but pretty small sample size (2-7).

Thanks., Seemed like she took more. Anyhow, my main point was she did not appear to dominate the way she does in most college games.

Reaction Score
It's never "too early" to read about our Huskies. They have jumped from #7 to #3.... 1 and 2 remain the same, and rightfully so. (Oregon, Baylor). And there is still the matter of Westbrook....
"The most important part of the Huskies' season could come before it starts. The NCAA has yet to rule on the immediate eligibility of Tennessee transfer Evina Westbrook. UConn was initially confident that the Lady Vols' co-leading scorer from last season would be allowed to play right away, but a recent tightening of the transfer rules by the NCAA has made that decision less clear. "

With Westbrook, we are a solid #3, without her I would put us at somewhere in the #5-7 range.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
PAC-12 will be brutal in 2019-20 season. I cannot see any PAC-12 Team having less than 2 losses in conference play.
That, as usual, will hurt their rankings. But come tourney time there will be 3 in the E8. The best conference in WCBB this coming year I reckon.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The Pac 12 having 5 in the top 17 is nice, but I think the author is sleeping on Arizona. Not even on the "others considered" list. He specifically talks about Arkansas' run in the NIT, but Arizona won the whole thing.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The Pac 12 having 5 in the top 17 is nice, but I think the author is sleeping on Arizona. Not even on the "others considered" list. He specifically talks about Arkansas' run in the NIT, but Arizona won the whole thing.
I actually think Arizona will likely overtake Arizona State in this year's standings, although I think both will make the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
I would have placed Ohio State in the Top 25 over some of the Big 10 teams listed. Between Juhasz and Bell, that's the best two player tandem in the Big 10 next to Maryland.

Reaction Score
The later Westbrook gets an answer the better.

I worked my entire life in different bureaucratic organizations. Observing. Bureaucratic structures want consistency in rules applications and are very reluctant to make exceptions unless their superiors want it so. This is true even when the rules allow it. There was a cartoon on the director's desk that became the office joke: "Never be in the same room as a decision".
The requests involving injury are fairly routine but those involving coach/team/player issues are not and bureaucrats don't like making decisions that have any controversy attached. So they will wait, hold meetings to discuss options and ramifications of each of those options. The person responsible for the decision will talk to their superiors before putting anything in writing. Only the impending start of the season will force them to decide.

Even if UConn/Westbrook submit a perfect case for immediate eligibility it will be examined from every conceivable angle The later the decision the better for Westbrook.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Confidence, UConn and the NCAA should never be used in the same sentence or paragraph or chapter or book. The NCAA is a southern centric and thoroughly corrupt old boys and old girls club. The odds of the waiver coming through? I'd say 97:1.

Reaction Score
In the men's Way-Too-Early Top 25, there are eight non-P5 teams, while in the women's there are just three.

Wish there were more on the women's side.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom