Espn promoting Power 5 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Espn promoting Power 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't mind being grouped with Arizona, Baylor, Louisville, North Carolina, and Northwestern. But by what criteria can you place Arizona State, BC, Colorado, Illinois, Kansas State, Maryland, Missouri, Oregon State, Pitt, Purdue, Syracuse, Virginia, and Washington a cut above the "peasants" and in the same class as Arkansas, Michigan State, Oklahoma State, Stanford, and South Carolina?

Most of those schools have had a heisman winner or other major bowl wins even if it's been over 30 years for some of them. Virginia, Scar, Pitt, Cuse, Missouri, Maryland, Colorado, Illinois, KSU, and obviously BC, don't belong here. Purdue has had a few NFL QB's. OrSt is a decent program, UW hasn't done much in a long while and is hanging on by my account. If you can't occasionally challenge for your conference title you are peasant, I don't care if USC, Texas, and Florida are in your conference. An FCS team can finish in the bottom third for a decade, I don't care what you won in the 90's.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but that is a stupid comment. Look at Alabama without Saban. Take Urban Meyer away from Florida and look what's happened. Miami hasn't been relevant since Johnson left.
For 10 years, Boise has been one of the winningest programs, and whenever they've been given the shot to play with the 'big boys' they've competed very well. Peterson has had tons of offers and he doesn't appear to be moving.
Alabama sucked before Saban and quite frankly, the country didn't seem to care. Miami sucks, and could be headed for the death penalty. Yet we still manage to get by. Texas has been out of the debate for a couple seasons and they've been pushed to the back-burner.
People want to watch good matchups. And if a good Boise team ranked #2 is playing a top ranked LSU, people are going to watch. I also bet a top 10 ranked Cincy playing a top 10 ranked RU will get some national attention as well.

I am sorry but some of this nonsense is just pure lunacy and idiocy. MiAmi hasn't been relevant since Johnson left? I guess the 2 championships Dennis Ericsson won and the one cocker won was unimportant on the national landscape.

Look at bama without Saban? What their 11 other national championships? You realize they were down for a few years because of probabtion? Actually you probably don't.

Yes a top 10 rutty amd cincy matchup will get SOME national attention, but nothing that compares to a Lsu bama game or frankly to Uga and Florida game.

Do yourself a favor amd look at the rating of bowl games involving the big east to that of ones involving the sec or big 10. People don't just care about matchups they wants the irrelevant programs like Miami and the ones on the back burner like Texas.

You know who else likes these programs? Big time High school recruits that's why they go there and not rutty or Uconn.

Reaction Score
History matters no matter how old. Just look at the games last season on ESPN of Pitt and Syr. During each game they had one or more segments about great players who had played at each school. Guys like Dorsett, Marino, Fralic, Dikta, etc in the case of Pitt and players like Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Floyd Little, etc in the case of Syr. OK, none were that recent but all are still names and history does matter.

Put it another way, ask a college football fan to name the three best NFL players who played at Pitt or Syr and most will be able to answer the question. Ask the same question about UCONN and other than UCONN fans it is doubtful that anyone would be able to come up with an answer.

Reaction Score
History matters no matter how old. Just look at the games last season on ESPN of Pitt and Syr. During each game they had one or more segments about great players who had played at each school. Guys like Dorsett, Marino, Fralic, Dikta, etc in the case of Pitt and players like Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Floyd Little, etc in the case of Syr. OK, none were that recent but all are still names and history does matter.

Put it another way, ask a college football fan to name the three best NFL players who played at Pitt or Syr and most will be able to answer the question. Ask the same question about UCONN and other than UCONN fans it is doubtful that anyone would be able to come up with an answer.

True. As long as the people you are asking are over 50.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

This is the dumbest of arguments and history only appeals to those who are already fans of the school. The fact that McNabb played for the Cuse is a compelling reason for me to watch a Cuse team today? Or maybe it's Jim Brown that is the tipping point? I'm sure discussing Doug Flutie will help ease the pain of watching a moribund BC team. And of course yes, remiscing about Tony Dorsett makes watching a Pitt game so much better.

To fall back on this is, IMO, an admission that the teams in question suck.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
To fall back on this is, IMO, an admission that the teams in question suck.

That was my thought exactly! I mean, envoking the name of Floyd Little?? REALLY??? What 18 year old recruit gives a rat's about Floyd Little? I'm sure they all want to be the next Fralic...

Reaction Score
When a team has no history of course fans will say that history does not matter. Saying that you have to be over 50 to know the names of certain players is just silly. So today's baseball fans who are 12 have never heard of Mantle, Ruth or Gehrig? Or 12 year old NBA fans have never heard of Jerry West, John Havlicek or Oscar Robertson? Or 12 year old football fans have never heard of Joe Namath, Bart Starr, Jim Thorpe, Jim Brown or Mike Ditka?

Now I agree that Pitt, for example, is not going to get a ton of recruits who want to go there solely because guys like Dorsett, Fralic, Marino, Ditka, etc. went there but having guys like that as alums and former players adds to the name value of a school. Or do you want to argue that if UCONN had any household name NFL players from the past that Pasqualoni would never mention them at all to recruits just like Calhoun never mentions to recruits any of the NBA guys who played at UCONN?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
When a team has no history of course fans will say that history does not matter. Saying that you have to be over 50 to know the names of certain players is just silly. So today's baseball fans who are 12 have never heard of Mantle, Ruth or Gehrig? Or 12 year old NBA fans have never heard of Jerry West, John Havlicek or Oscar Robertson? Or 12 year old football fans have never heard of Joe Namath, Bart Starr, Jim Thorpe, Jim Brown or Mike Ditka?

You're really reaching here. It's kind of funny so keep going if you want.

Now I agree that Pitt, for example, is not going to get a ton of recruits who want to go there solely because guys like Dorsett, Fralic, Marino, Ditka, etc. went there but having guys like that as alums and former players adds to the name value of a school. Or do you want to argue that if UCONN had any household name NFL players from the past that Pasqualoni would never mention them at all to recruits just like Calhoun never mentions to recruits any of the NBA guys who played at UCONN?

If you want to talk current players, I'll buy it. If you want to talk names from the past...no way. I'd even argue that bringing up names from the past and not having much currently would actually hurt a program's recruiting.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You're really reaching here. It's kind of funny so keep going if you want.
If you want to talk current players, I'll buy it. If you want to talk names from the past...no way. I'd even argue that bringing up names from the past and not having much currently would actually hurt a program's recruiting.

I'm glad he made a similar argument with baseball and basketball, because it helps drive home my point. Do you think that an 18 year old prospect in either of those sports dreams of being Gehrig or Havlicek??? Outside of having a relative that may have had a disease named Gehrig, they would have no friggin' clue what you were talking about. They want to be LeBron, they want to be Jeter. They may want to be Jordan (because he's larger than life and it wasn't that long ago). But they aren't dreaming of Bill friggin' Russell or Catfish Hunter!!

Reaction Score
So then all of the coaches of well established, long time Division 1 Football programs are wasting their time when they show recruits their in house hall of fame and show them the trophies, jerseys, awards, etc. that past players earned? Because unless it happened last year it is all totally irrelevant?

OK, got it, lol.

Only schools without history and with nothing to sell in that regard think that history does not matter.

One example, UCLA. In the past ten years they have had one good FB season. Rest have been around .500.

Say in 2012 UCLA and UCONN both go 9-3. Which one will matter more to college football fans in general? I know, UCONN, how could I be so silly as to think otherwise?

Fans in general may think 'looks the Bruins are back' about UCLA and 'who cares' about UCONN because history matters.

How many good seasons has it taken Boise to get the respect they have and even that respect is less than it would have been had the Boise records been achieved by a UCLA, or a Pitt, or a Syr or any team with actual history?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Because unless it happened last year it is all totally irrelevant?

OK, got it, lol.

Yeah, last year....or 1965.....I'm glad we're talking about similar time-frames....

FYI: the last year of college for the players you mentioned:

Jim Brown 1956
Ernie Davis 1961
Floyd Little 1966
Tony Dorsett 1976
Bill Fralic 1984

Hey, thanks for throwing in someone that was almost in college for Reagan's second term!! Way to keep it real, Observer! :eek:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
To be fair, you could have just said people's names like Freeney and Fitzgerald for SyraPitt respectively. And most UConn people would say Tyvon Branch, Orlovsky, and Donald Brown. Did you really have to mention Jim Thorpe??? Good God, man!

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
C'mon, all the kids in my neighborhood want to be Jim Thorpe when they grow up. They have a pentathlon every weekend.

Honest.

Reaction Score
Hm, seems Jimbo Fisher seems to like the 'tradition' and 'history' of Pitt and Syr. Ofc, what does he know? He is just the HC of a top 10 school.

Still, the additions of Pitt and Syracuse are also expected to benefit the league both financially and academically.
Fisher believes the pair further strengthens the ACC.
"They've got great tradition, and the Carrier Dome is a tough place to play," Fisher said of the Orange.
"You look at the history of it, Syracuse has had some great players come out of there recently. And you go back to the history of Pitt. Pitt's had some of the greats in college football history, let alone just the great program."

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20120719/FSU02/307190053/ACC-embracing-future

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Hm, seems Jimbo Fisher seems to like the 'tradition' and 'history' of Pitt and Syr. Ofc, what does he know? He is just the HC of a top 10 school.

Still, the additions of Pitt and Syracuse are also expected to benefit the league both financially and academically.
"They've got great tradition, and the Carrier Dome is a tough place to play," Fisher said of the Orange.
"You look at the history of it, Syracuse has had some great players come out of there recently. And you go back to the history of Pitt. Pitt's had some of the greats in college football history, let alone just the great program."

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20120719/FSU02/307190053/ACC-embracing-future
I liked the part about how Syracuse has only made 3 bowl games since 2000

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

I normally don't address your ACC-lovin', because it seems like it's better for you when it's a one-person thing. However, here are some questions for you:

1) Florida State is a Top 10 school??? Sure, they are. Sure, they are.

2) Jimbo Fisher was also one of the guys who, early on, said a move to the Big12 would be great. He was then told to "shut it" by his superiors. You don't think that may have had anything to do with his "towing the party line" recently? Sure, it didn't. Sure, it didn't.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...fisher-must-lay-low-on-conference-realignment

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/coll...U-to-Big-12-ACC-meetings-to-answer/54925652/1

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Tradition so much as it affects recruiting is based on two things.

1) The frequency of success and television appearances of said program during the recruits formative years. This is why it takes a while to get. (FSU, Miami)

2) The prestige of the brand which has nothing to do with anything other than how recognizable the program is to the recruit and the general public. (ND, Oregon)

Pitt and Cuse have almost none of #1 and very little of #2. Cuse's claim to fame was the Dome and the dearth of East Coast football prior to the formation of the BE.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

The Carrier Dome is one of the easiest places to play - you get to play Syracuse there.

And they are quite simply the worst program in this conference...with a bullet.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
As if Fisher is going to say, "Hey, with Pitt and Syracuse we get a couple of ACC cupcakes so we can schedule some tougher OOC games if we want."

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
the Carrier Dome is a tough place to play," Fisher said of the Orange.

In what decade? Because the only time I see that place full is when hoops are being played. Every football game is at best half full.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
In what decade? Because the only time I see that place full is when hoops are being played. Every football game is at best half full.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Fisher was speaking on behalf of the BB team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom