Espn promoting Power 5 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Espn promoting Power 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
UCF is starting to beat out bunch of traditional schools for recruiting now that they are in the BE. Look at some schools that offered to kids that committed to UCF so far.

3* Benjamin 3* Dinovo, 3* Reed, 3* Willis, 3* Hernly, 3* Holman, 3* Lowry, 3* Keller, 3* Killings, NR Berman, NR Evans

Offers

1 Alabama
1 Arizona St
1 Auburn
1 Ball St
1 Boston College
3 Cincinnati
2 Florida
2 Florida St
5 FIU
1 Georgia
1 Indiana
1 Iowa St
1 Kansas
4 Kentucky
1 La Lafayette
2 Louisville
1 LSU
2 Marshal
1 Miami (FL)
1 Michigan St.
2 Minnesota
2 Miss
1 Miss St
1 Missouri
1 North Carolina
2 NC St
1 Notre Dame
1 Ohio State
1 Oklahoma
1 Pitt
1 Purdue
1 Rutgers
1 South Alabama
1 South Carolina
4 South Florida
1 Tennessee
1 UCLA
1 USC
1 UMass
3 Vanderbilt
2 Wake Forest
1 Western Kentucky
2 West Virginia
1 Wisconsin
3 FCS

UCF is not BE yet. so they can get kids that have qualifying issues still. kids in that spot know they can slip in and wala they can play in the big east right away without having to do a prep or juco. its a quick cheat basically. your going to see smu/bsu/uh/ucf/sdsu have great classes this year compared to where they were. its not the league bump, its the slip in. kids can enroll early or over summer and be considered pre 2013 season(mwc/cusa etc...). next year (2014) class will be the year to watch, if schools are doing this again, now there moving on up....

Reaction Score
You guys don't seem to get the importance of public perception. People will still care about Alabama if they aren't coached by Saban anymore. They were on the cover of SI in 2005 when they went 9-3 against a ****ty schedule with a god awful head coach. Why? Because they matter. If Boise or UCF goes 9-3, nobody is going to pay attention.
I am too aware of public perception. Despite it, I'm still a BE fan.
What don't seem to get is that public perception is a fallacy fed to you by Espn which has a financial interest in making you think cfb can't survive without certain programs.
Five years ago Florida was the center of the universe. Didn't hear too much about them last year. Haven't heard about tenn either. If you're a fan of a school you'll follow them. What will get the national attention is when you have a number in front of your schools name on the scoreboard.
Ironically the cover you are talking about refers to bama coming back because they were unbeaten and had just beaten Florida. That hadn't been relevant for 12 Years up to that point. And it wasn't until Saban took over that anyone cared about bama outside of bama since 1994.
You may have proved my point. Rutgers goes unbeaten including a win over Arkansas and you'll see them discussed in the national media. A few years ago when the BE had one of their best seasons with Rutgers, UofL and WVU all gunning for a unbeaten season. You probably forgot all the coverage that year as the BE finished with 3 teams in the top 12.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why is it that every time you agree with something I post, I feel dirty?

Don't like mingling with the other lawyers? :) It's a large and distinguished group. Like it or not, I'm a solid UConn fan and alumn. I just can't bring myself to be a Big East fan as currently constructed. Nor do I accept that what's good for UConn and what's good for the NBE are the same thing.

Reaction Score
I am too aware of public perception. Despite it, I'm still a BE fan.
What don't seem to get is that public perception is a fallacy fed to you by Espn which has a financial interest in making you think cfb can't survive without certain programs.
Five years ago Florida was the center of the universe. Didn't hear too much about them last year. Haven't heard about tenn either. If you're a fan of a school you'll follow them. What will get the national attention is when you have a number in front of your schools name on the scoreboard.
Ironically the cover you are talking about refers to bama coming back because they were unbeaten and had just beaten Florida. That hadn't been relevant for 12 Years up to that point. And it wasn't until Saban took over that anyone cared about bama outside of bama since 1994.
You may have proved my point. Rutgers goes unbeaten including a win over Arkansas and you'll see them discussed in the national media. A few years ago when the BE had one of their best seasons with Rutgers, UofL and WVU all gunning for a unbeaten season. You probably forgot all the coverage that year as the BE finished with 3 teams in the top 12.

Sure, the Big East gets three teams in the top 12, and they will be relevant nationally. The other conferences are relevant regardless of how many teams are in the top 12. FL and TN are still national stories even in down years, if you're paying attention to national media and not just local papers and this site.

Reaction Score
Just sharing for those who don't have time to read multiple outlets:

(Not Exactly) Breaking News: ESPN Still Hates The Big East

by Dustin Rensink • Jul 11, 2012 7:33 AM CDT

When the Big East Conference turned down ESPN's TV contract offer in 2011, opting instead to take its chances on the open market, questions could immediately have been raised about whether or not the network would choose to retaliate in the way it covered the conference. Granted, the Big East has left itself open to plenty of criticism, but the so-called "Worldwide Leader in Sports" has kept its distance from journalistic integrity in its quest to lead the smear campaign.

First came Boston College's athletics director outright admitting that ESPN encouraged them to raid the Big East for Pittsburgh and Syracuse. (Then quickly pulling a "Wait, was that too honest? Just kidding, I didn't mean it!" backpedal move soon after.)

With Big East TV negotiations set to begin in the next two months, ESPN has dialed up the heat against its least-favorite conference.

star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg

Even ESPN's own response to the Boston College fiasco was less than reassuring. Burke Magnus, ESPN's vice president for college sports programming, was quoted as saying, "We haven't been advocates of [conference realignment] because our business interests are best served by stability." Not only is this laughable, given how many eyeballs ESPN attracts by running conference realignment stories, Magnus' own statement gives him away, as it admits that ESPN's decision on whether or not to interfere in the news its supposed to be covering with integrity will hinge solely on its own business interests.
Along those lines, earlier this month came the sarcastic, vitriolic attack on incoming Big East member Temple from ESPN's Big East beat writer. And while other sports news outlets have pointed out how the new NCAA football playoff gives teams like those in the Big East access to a potential national championship game for the first time ever, ESPN quickly shot down any such notions, calling playoff access for the Big East "potentially...a big issue" and using the belittling, exclusionary "Big 5 conference" moniker. Lest anybody recall how high teams like Boise State, Houston, Cincinnati and South Florida have climbed in the rankings in recent years.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that the ACC has a tie-in with the Orange Bowl, while the Big East does not have a tie-in with any of the future power six bowls. I also understand that with teams like Miami, Florida State and Virginia Tech, the ACC has more "name " programs than the Big East. But what (should) count just as much is the fact that the Big East (both its past and current membership) has outplayed the ACC over any reasonable recent timeframe, using basically any metric.

On Monday, ESPN's College Football Live hosted Big East Interim Commissioner Joe Bailey to talk about the future of the conference. Oh good, so maybe the Big East will get a fair shake, at least for a day? Not exactly.

ESPN intro-ed the segment with a title screen reading "Big Least?". (Journalism: you can say anything you want, as long as you end it with question mark.) ESPN host Joe Tessitore ended the segment with a rambling psuedo-question which accomplished little more than to use the term "Power Five Conferences" multiple times. During his spiel, Tessitore also audibly laughed while discussing the "luxury" of BCS automatic-qualification that the Big East used to have.

Once again, ESPN would like you to politely forget that the Big East has been the better conference, and currently features the better teams, when compared to the "Power" ACC. Because the ACC signed its ESPN contract like an obedient little conference should.

ESPN: Where journalistic integrity goes to die.

Reaction Score
Just sharing for those who don't have time to read multiple outlets:

(Not Exactly) Breaking News: ESPN Still Hates The Big East

by Dustin Rensink • Jul 11, 2012 7:33 AM CDT

When the Big East Conference turned down ESPN's TV contract offer in 2011, opting instead to take its chances on the open market, questions could immediately have been raised about whether or not the network would choose to retaliate in the way it covered the conference. Granted, the Big East has left itself open to plenty of criticism, but the so-called "Worldwide Leader in Sports" has kept its distance from journalistic integrity in its quest to lead the smear campaign.

First came Boston College's athletics director outright admitting that ESPN encouraged them to raid the Big East for Pittsburgh and Syracuse. (Then quickly pulling a "Wait, was that too honest? Just kidding, I didn't mean it!" backpedal move soon after.)

With Big East TV negotiations set to begin in the next two months, ESPN has dialed up the heat against its least-favorite conference.

star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg

Even ESPN's own response to the Boston College fiasco was less than reassuring. Burke Magnus, ESPN's vice president for college sports programming, was quoted as saying, "We haven't been advocates of [conference realignment] because our business interests are best served by stability." Not only is this laughable, given how many eyeballs ESPN attracts by running conference realignment stories, Magnus' own statement gives him away, as it admits that ESPN's decision on whether or not to interfere in the news its supposed to be covering with integrity will hinge solely on its own business interests.
Along those lines, earlier this month came the sarcastic, vitriolic attack on incoming Big East member Temple from ESPN's Big East beat writer. And while other sports news outlets have pointed out how the new NCAA football playoff gives teams like those in the Big East access to a potential national championship game for the first time ever, ESPN quickly shot down any such notions, calling playoff access for the Big East "potentially...a big issue" and using the belittling, exclusionary "Big 5 conference" moniker. Lest anybody recall how high teams like Boise State, Houston, Cincinnati and South Florida have climbed in the rankings in recent years.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that the ACC has a tie-in with the Orange Bowl, while the Big East does not have a tie-in with any of the future power six bowls. I also understand that with teams like Miami, Florida State and Virginia Tech, the ACC has more "name " programs than the Big East. But what (should) count just as much is the fact that the Big East (both its past and current membership) has outplayed the ACC over any reasonable recent timeframe, using basically any metric.

On Monday, ESPN's College Football Live hosted Big East Interim Commissioner Joe Bailey to talk about the future of the conference. Oh good, so maybe the Big East will get a fair shake, at least for a day? Not exactly.

ESPN intro-ed the segment with a title screen reading "Big Least?". (Journalism: you can say anything you want, as long as you end it with question mark.) ESPN host Joe Tessitore ended the segment with a rambling psuedo-question which accomplished little more than to use the term "Power Five Conferences" multiple times. During his spiel, Tessitore also audibly laughed while discussing the "luxury" of BCS automatic-qualification that the Big East used to have.

Once again, ESPN would like you to politely forget that the Big East has been the better conference, and currently features the better teams, when compared to the "Power" ACC. Because the ACC signed its ESPN contract like an obedient little conference should.

Wasn't the Big East bashing on ESPN just as bad before their offer was rejected?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Big East bashing is getting comical. Even their Horse Racing columnist is getting in on the action. Out of nowhere we get this in a list of things a horse player should be on the lookout for:

5. Read bad handicappers. We are in something of a national handicapping crisis. Self-proclaimed experts are spraying around losers like the Big East does in football.

Reaction Score
With some exceptions, the best and brightest of us do not become talking sports heads, either on channel 3 or ESPN. Most of the clowns on ESPN remind me of my high school class--not a lot of high level academics and, surprisingly, not a lot of thought and individual analysis when it comes to sports. People like Joe Tessitore just aren't very intelligent and will do whatever they are told to do by management or pander to management in order to keep employment. If Joe loses his job, what the hell else can he do? I only watch ESPN when a game is on that I want to watch. Any of you that can stomach most of the other drivel (people like Jay Bilas excepted) have a stronger digestion than I do.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big East bashing is getting comical. Even their Horse Racing columnist is getting in on the action. Out of nowhere we get this in a list of things a horse player should be on the lookout for:

5. Read bad handicappers. We are in something of a national handicapping crisis. Self-proclaimed experts are spraying around losers like the Big East does in football.

The funny thing is, most of the target audience is going to have no idea what this reference means. It just goes to show ESPN is attacking the Big East, and will do whatever it takes to undermine the league. It's like they are paying their writers per attack.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
@huskymedic

Nice. I may make that a signature line once football season starts.

Reaction Score
I don't know too much about Bristol or the ESPN location but I wouldn't be against participation in a tailgate of sorts where all present and future members of the Big East are represented. Just to kind of remind them that we are still here and also to present some facts about our league vs the ACC that ESPN has conveniently decided to ignore. They may not broadcast it but if enough news outlets are notified (in all of our markets) quite a few probably would. Their "Big 5" BS needs to be challenged even if our lame front office is incapable of doing so.

Tailgates are fun!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You guys don't seem to get the importance of public perception. People will still care about Alabama if they aren't coached by Saban anymore. They were on the cover of SI in 2005 when they went 9-3 against a ****ty schedule with a god awful head coach. Why? Because they matter. If Boise or UCF goes 9-3, nobody is going to pay attention.

Yes, this is what I've been trying to say. I think there is a lot of wishful thinking going on. By the way, the opposite is true for hoop. UConn matters more than Alabama, even when we have a bad year. Tennessee has been weak of late, but does anyone think there is even the sligtest chance that any Big East program is considered on par with the Vols? Really? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neyland_Stadium None of them, including Boise, is even on the same planet, regardless of recent on-field success. College football freaking matters in these places in ways that it never will in New England or New York.

pj

Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't mind being grouped with Arizona, Baylor, Louisville, North Carolina, and Northwestern. But by what criteria can you place Arizona State, BC, Colorado, Illinois, Kansas State, Maryland, Missouri, Oregon State, Pitt, Purdue, Syracuse, Virginia, and Washington a cut above the "peasants" and in the same class as Arkansas, Michigan State, Oklahoma State, Stanford, and South Carolina?

Reaction Score
Welp, some guy thinks Boston College and Syracuse are college football "Knights".

Guess it's time to fold up shop fellas.

BCU has to be because of Flutie and the Hail Mary... Ingrained in people's memories?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Ivy Light:
north-bc/cuse/nw/navy/army/pitt/duke/wake
south-miami/vandy/rice/smu/tcu/tulane/tulsa/

Reaction Score
Sure, the Big East gets three teams in the top 12, and they will be relevant nationally. The other conferences are relevant regardless of how many teams are in the top 12. FL and TN are still national stories even in down years, if you're paying attention to national media and not just local papers and this site.
I guess I missed all the coverage on Tenn... Can you catch me up on them?
Outside of Pat Summit, the only time the Vol's have been in the national spotlight is:
-Bruce Pearl
-"The Blind Side" which was really an SEC love fest

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't mind being grouped with Arizona, Baylor, Louisville, North Carolina, and Northwestern. But by what criteria can you place Arizona State, BC, Colorado, Illinois, Kansas State, Maryland, Missouri, Oregon State, Pitt, Purdue, Syracuse, Virginia, and Washington a cut above the "peasants" and in the same class as Arkansas, Michigan State, Oklahoma State, Stanford, and South Carolina?
If anything the pecking order should be a pyramid, with a bigger number of teams in the peasants category. But then that would ratchet up the hate mail a few more notches.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

You're kidding I hope. Washington has a huge stadium and following and has had some great success. I'd put them ahead of Arkansas, MSU, OSU, Stanford and South Carolina. In a few years, I expect that they may replace Oregon as the best team in the Pac not named Trojans. K-State is the opposite, historically horrible, but damned good under Snyder. Much better than UConn has ever been. Colorado. National championships mean nothing? Amost all the schools have at least some history of success, which the peasants lack. Oregon State is the one team that stands out to me as a peasant from that list, and UVA is pretty close to it. Annual attendance numbers tell the story. http://blog.philsteele.com/2011/04/06/2010-homeaway-average-attendance/

Reaction Score
Yes, this is what I've been trying to say. I think there is a lot of wishful thinking going on. By the way, the opposite is true for hoop. UConn matters more than Alabama, even when we have a bad year. Tennessee has been weak of late, but does anyone think there is even the sligtest chance that any Big East program is considered on par with the Vols? Really? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neyland_Stadium None of them, including Boise, is even on the same planet, regardless of recent on-field success. College football freaking matters in these places in ways that it never will in New England or New York.
We get it. No one seems to ever work down there. They spend the entire football season moving the tailgating party from 1 game to the next. Your tax dollars at work.

Reaction Score
Upstater is irrationally defensive about Penn State. About 20% of the regular posters jump to ND's defense if anyone says anything remotely negative. And then there is Z, who defends ESPN's relentless and meanspirited trashing of the Big East and UConn. I can get being a long time fan of another school and having trouble giving that up when it comes to UConn, but who roots for a corporation against a school?

You are a piece of work, Nelson. Being called irrational by you is a compliment since it probably means I'm the opposite of what you intend. Is this thread even a discussion about PSU? Or ND? LOL, like what conferences have I defended in the past?

I see no point in defending the current BE. It is bad. In the past I have. In fact, I hate the B10 and think the ACC is cruddy.

Reaction Score
The BE should have split from the basketball schools many years ago and hired leadership that gave a about football.

Reaction Score
Just a thought. How are the major networks i.e.ESPN going to react to the Sandusky saga. Are they also going to broadcast Penn State's events and perpetuate the notion that football is still supreme. Do they have any moral obligation and show some remorse by banning either State or the Big Ten. I know at some point the whores will come out and say we are contractually obligated without a reference to the victims.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom