ESPN (+) preview - it gets worse... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN (+) preview - it gets worse...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Cancelling the season was about saving face, not Covid. We could have ended up playing 3, maybe four games, which I suppose was better than nothing but still would have been a lost season.

Either way, we can stop pretending that missing an entire season (or in the alternative, all but 3 or 4 games) was somehow beneficial to the program.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Let's see, are we even going to be on ESPN outside maybe the ACC Network for Clemson? Probably not- so why should they boost us up- it's what ESPN does- it hypes in properties and buries what isn't theirs. This is garbage and click bait.

Hilariously wrong. What's your line on UConn@Clemson?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
It would have helped from a PR standpoint, but not much else.

Looking at our depleted fanbase - what "PR standpoint" would have improved by getting smoked like that?

...at least we have some "intrigue" going into the year.

I'm with you, though - the cancellation wasn't a positive at all, likely negative, but we didn't really have a choice.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If you think UMass improved by playing those 4 games, all away, I can't help you that much.

Of all the BY truisms, the idea that not playing is/was more beneficial than playing is one of the most bizarre.

Could someone here let every coach in America know that their teams shouldn't play games? Just take a year (maybe two) off and then come try and again after the hiatus.

I actually don't have too much of a problem cancelling the season from a logistics/covid standpoint. It is what it is. But we certainly didn't benefit from it from a football standpoint.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Of all the BY truisms, the idea that not playing is/was more beneficial than playing is one of the most bizarre.

Could someone here let every coach in America know that their teams shouldn't play games? Just take a year (maybe two) off and then come try and again after the hiatus.

I actually don't have too much of a problem cancelling the season from a logistics/covid standpoint. It is what it is. But we certainly didn't benefit from it from a football standpoint.

Never said that, and don't agree with it.

If anything, it's the guys like you that think we could have pulled > 5 games out of our @!$$!#$$5!$ and magically had a "beneficial" season, from any standpoint, is more bizarre.

UMass' season and results are instructive, as they had many of the same challenges we did last year. When you compare the 2 outcomes on their face, it's at best a draw, and i might prefer our outcome, overall.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Never said that, and don't agree with it.

If anything, it's the guys like you that think we could have pulled > 5 games out of our @!$$!#$$5!$ and magically had a "beneficial" season, from any standpoint, is more bizarre.

UMass' season and results are instructive, as they had many of the same challenges we did last year. When you compare the 2 outcomes on their face, it's at best a draw, and i might prefer our outcome, overall.

Some of the other independents managed to play more full schedules; Liberty, BYU, and Army. I doubt they would have been able to get 12 games, but figuring out more than 4 would have been manageable.

I fundamentally believe we are worse off having not played any games. Just from our young QBs perspectives - they haven't faced live in game action in what 20 months? For the QB development alone the season would have been worth it.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Some of the other independents managed to play more full schedules; Liberty, BYU, and Army. I doubt they would have been able to get 12 games, but figuring out more than 4 would have been manageable.

I fundamentally believe we are worse off having not played any games. Just from our young QBs perspectives - they haven't faced live in game action in what 20 months? For the QB development alone the season would have been worth it.

2 of those 3 you cite were in "wide open" states, which practically is apples:eek:ranges for us. Again, UMass is instructive, BYU and Liberty less so.

I 1000% agree with you on QB progression - even poor play, but naming a true starter going into this year, would be beneficial. I'm just not sure that's worth everything else...

Reaction Score
It'll be interesting to gauge today's astute comments against reality six months from now. Some folks are going to crow; others are going to eat crow.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
We should have played 4 games. Kids don't get better just by lifting weights, practicing, or watching film.

They get better by playing actual games.
And people pretend the UMass about face was the only way to approach it.

UConn could’ve easily said “we’re planning to play a 6 game season starting in November” and planned for it. Played UMass, NMSU (I know they played in spring but could’ve been worked out), Liberty, Army, and two others as either fill ins or FCS teams. Part of the reason people were so pissed about cancelling was we cancelled the season and completely abandoned the idea of playing at all before fall camps had even started across the college football landscape. It was poor leadership and planning to not even leave the door open and once it was obvious people could safely play, to our public knowledge, the idea wasn’t even revisited despite other UConn athletic teams playing games on campus. It was terrible leadership by not only the staff, but the athletic administration as a whole.

Drew

Reaction Score

We aren’t even talking about the defense yet, who will 100% struggle to adjust to game speed having only seen the UConn offense for 2 years in practice situations. People want to pretend that not playing games somehow benefits anyone, they’re mistaken. We‘ve had what, 3 scrimmages total over the last two off seasons? It’s asinine. And when we get railed the first few games people will come on here and say “they just need time to adjust to game speed they haven’t played in two years!”. Well guess who’s fault that is?!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The big reason we didn’t have a season was the protocols going on within the state last year regarding testing and isolation requirements for people going in/out of CT. Not for safety necessarily
Those requirements weren't about safety? What were they about?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
And people pretend the UMass about face was the only way to approach it.

UConn could’ve easily said “we’re planning to play a 6 game season starting in November” and planned for it. Played UMass, NMSU (I know they played in spring but could’ve been worked out), Liberty, Army, and two others as either fill ins or FCS teams. Part of the reason people were so pissed about cancelling was we cancelled the season and completely abandoned the idea of playing at all before fall camps had even started across the college football landscape. It was poor leadership and planning to not even leave the door open and once it was obvious people could safely play, to our public knowledge, the idea wasn’t even revisited despite other UConn athletic teams playing games on campus. It was terrible leadership by not only the staff, but the athletic administration as a whole.

All revisionist hindsight nonsense.

We cancelled our season based on:
1) The overwhelming majority of our schedule cancelling their game with us, either due to season or OOC cancelation.
2) Logistics and protocols making travel difficult
3) Lack of local available teams to fill in under similar circumstances.

Your vision of a 6 game season (in November!) is outright fantasy.

UConn could’ve easily said “we’re planning to play a 6 game season starting in November” and planned for it.
...despite nobody else doing this. Sure, OK...

Played UMass
This is probably the most realistic thing out of all of it. Never mind they had cancelled their season.
NMSU (I know they played in spring but could’ve been worked out)
LOL sure
Liberty
Semi-realistic, but i could make a reasonable argument that Liberty saying "no thanks" was probably the straw that broke our own camel's back on scheduling. Them choosing to play Cuse probably shuts us out.
Army
See UMass
and two others as either fill ins or FCS teams
Name them. FCS went either cancel or spring, with some exceptions, most of which went to Army. Would an FCS-heavy schedule really be that beneficial? Be honest.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'Well guess who’s fault that is?!' our fault. i think sumone has been messing with our water. maybe the local kids will finally be back in class next september
All New York City public schools will reopen in September for in-person classes: de Blasio | amNewYork (amny.com), yet
Indianapolis 500 welcomes 135,000 fans for the largest crowd in the world for a sports event since the start of the pandemic - Daily Press last weekend.
oh, jimmy, where art thou? New England needs you!
fear-strikes-out-md-web.jpg

Drew

Reaction Score
All revisionist hindsight nonsense.

We cancelled our season based on:
1) The overwhelming majority of our schedule cancelling their game with us, either due to season or OOC cancelation.
2) Logistics and protocols making travel difficult
3) Lack of local available teams to fill in under similar circumstances.

Your vision of a 6 game season (in November!) is outright fantasy.

...despite nobody else doing this. Sure, OK...

This is probably the most realistic thing out of all of it. Never mind they had cancelled their season.

LOL sure

Semi-realistic, but i could make a reasonable argument that Liberty saying "no thanks" was probably the straw that broke our own camel's back on scheduling. Them choosing to play Cuse probably shuts us out.

See UMass

Name them. FCS went either cancel or spring, with some exceptions, most of which went to Army. Would an FCS-heavy schedule really be that beneficial? Be honest.
Nobody else played a modified football schedule last year? Did the Big Ten start playing games the week before Halloween and the PAC12 start in November or am I delusional in that regard?

This may shock you but… the PAC12 played a 6 game regular season beginning on November 7th. “Nobody else did that”- Oops! Sounds like a fantasy to me!

Who said the FCS teams had to be local? There was 15 FCS teams that played in the fall last year, Central Arkansas played a 9 game (had 10 scheduled) fall schedule, EKU played a 9 game fall schedule, teams like Austin Peay, Missouri State, etc played multiple games in the fall and also played in the Spring. North Alabama played a 4 game modified schedule in the fall (something you claim nobody did) across October and November, playing 3 road games at FBS teams, including fellow independents BYU and Liberty. You’re trying to tell me UConn couldn’t have scheduled two games against FCS teams that were desperate for pay days and games in the fall?

UConn absolutely could’ve played games against UMass, Army, Liberty, two FCS. I’ve had direct conversations with the NMSU athletics department officials responsible for scheduling games and asked specifically about UConn- they are dying to play us. I fully believe we could’ve played them in December or even scheduled a game in the spring and they would’ve gladly accepted (especially as part of a future series with multiple games). They want us on their schedule going forward- it’s UConn that doesn’t want any part of playing them.

I haven‘t even mentioned the BYU example- literally had their entire schedule wiped away and wound up playing a full 12 game schedule in the fall. That’s another team we could’ve likely found on the schedule given the ties as Independents and sheer number of open spots there would’ve been on the schedules at the time.

Get off your high horse and look at what happened across the entire landscape of FBS (and even some FCS) schools last year- leagues, schools, conferences, etc that had strong leaders found ways for their athletes to play games safely. UConn absolutely could’ve (and in my opinion, should’ve) exhausted every option to play a modified fall schedule last year, even after originally cancelling the season. Instead, we shut down the entire possibility of that happening on August 5 and when it was apparent that other schools were moving forward with playing and safely figured out how to do it, we stubbornly sat on the side and watched.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
You cite 2 FBS conferences that built their own schedules with each other. Irrelevant.

You cite FCSs in "open states" who would have had to quarantine on both sides to play us. Probably irrelevant, but I'll give you some benefit of doubt.

NMSU I can give you, and it's shameful if we're indeed ducking a fellow independent.

We aren't like the other football programs/states, in relation to 2020. The faster you realize that, the faster you will realize I'm right.

Reaction Score
We should have played 4 games. Kids don't get better just by lifting weights, practicing, or watching film.

They get better by playing actual games.
Not sure that is true.
As for having 20 plus guys transfer I suspect most were following coaching staff advice. Edsall would have had 50 guys go if there was a way to field a team. Not sure where we will be this year but I think better. Our 2020 schedule was actually brutal. This one isn’t.

Drew

Reaction Score
I’m actually laughing at your logic @pepband99

Modified 6 game season is a “fantasy” in your words. I give you the following examples and you give me the quoted responses:

UMass- “why would you want to do what they did?!”
B1G & P12- “those teams are in conferences and not independents its different!”
BYU- straight up ignore it

To your second line about quarantining: Hartford Athletic began playing games last year in July, including against teams that were located in the COVID “restricted” list of states (VA, PA) and guess what- nobody quarantined.

Definitely sound like you’re right though. Despite numerous examples of college athletics teams playing across multiple different geographies, situations, conferences, scheduling hurdles, COVID cases, etc and despite professional teams within the state of CT (including a MLS team AT UCONNS FOOTBALL STADIUM) playing games all fall, and despite other UConn athletics programs literally playing games during the months I’m talking about playing (including basketball traveling to DC, RI, and playing a team from CA in CT that didn’t quarantine), you are right. There’s no way we could’ve done anything differently. When you willingly choose to ignore all facts and everything else that happened last year across college and professional sports both within and outside of Connecticut borders, you can see there was no other choice.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I’m actually laughing at your logic @pepband99

Modified 6 game season is a “fantasy” in your words. I give you the following examples and you give me the quoted responses:

UMass- “why would you want to do what they did?!”
B1G & P12- “those teams are in conferences and not independents its different!”
BYU- straight up ignore it

To your second line about quarantining: Hartford Athletic began playing games last year in July, including against teams that were located in the COVID “restricted” list of states (VA, PA) and guess what- nobody quarantined.

Definitely sound like you’re right though. Despite numerous examples of college athletics teams playing across multiple different geographies, situations, conferences, scheduling hurdles, COVID cases, etc and despite professional teams within the state of CT (including a MLS team AT UCONNS FOOTBALL STADIUM) playing games all fall, and despite other UConn athletics programs literally playing games during the months I’m talking about playing (including basketball traveling to DC, RI, and playing a team from CA in CT that didn’t quarantine), you are right. There’s no way we could’ve done anything differently. When you willingly choose to ignore all facts and everything else that happened last year across college and professional sports both within and outside of Connecticut borders, you can see there was no other choice.

OK - you're hopeless.

If you can't see the difference between a conference of contiguous states drawing up their own game schedule against each other on the fly, and trying to do that as an indy with almost nobody available locally, i can't help you. Especially keeping in mind the B1G's cancellation of OUR OWN GAMES contributed to the cancellation - whoosh, right over your head.

BYU wouldn't have played 12 games if BYU was located in New England. You're the one that continues to ignore geography, state limitations, and just about everything else, but I'm the one ignoring facts.

Hartford Athletic? LOL. Yeah, a 2nd rate professional team playing for money is a great equivalent to a roster of amateurs who live in close quarters with 5x the roster size. Never mind the overwhelming majority of their schedule was local enough to potentially help with COVID protocols, either. How were those northeastern FCS teams doing? Oh, wait, Eastern KY was actually the closest geographically playing in the fall. LOL.

Reaction Score
The big reason we didn’t have a season was the protocols going on within the state last year regarding testing and isolation requirements for people going in/out of CT. Not for safety necessarily

Pretty sure Hartford Athletic was able to manage, iirc the Governor worked with them.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Yes Bill Connolly, one of the most (only?) universally respected reporters in the CFB biz, is writing cheap click bait for the mouse
Yes- has he been to UConn and seen the players? I have and I trust my eyes more than anyone who hasn't been here to see things. The players look and sound different. They look like a football team for the first time in many many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom