ESPN HoopGurlz shake up the 2015 Rankings | The Boneyard

ESPN HoopGurlz shake up the 2015 Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It looks about right. I can't fault them for dropping Boykin down - she's not a flashy player and does a ton of the dirty work that is necessary, but does not show up on stats sheets. We all know who Angela Salvadores is, but I've never heard of Cecelia Zandalisini. I don't know where Cooper used to be, but I'm sure orange fans will have a fit over her dropping to 19. And they were all a twitter about hopefully landing Beatrice Montpremier, as they preferred her over Degrate (post who chose L'ville), only to see BM drop down to 42. Oh, but I KNOW she (and Cooper) are MUCH better than their rankings! LOL...;)

Reaction Score
Arike Ogunbale moved from 24 to 10. Louisville has two PGs for 2015 with Durr and Cole so I'm thinking she will take a hard look at ND

Reaction Score
It looks about right. I can't fault them for dropping Boykin down - she's not a flashy player and does a ton of the dirty work that is necessary, but does not show up on stats sheets. We all know who Angela Salvadores is, but I've never heard of Cecelia Zandalisini. I don't know where Cooper used to be, but I'm sure orange fans will have a fit over her dropping to 19. And they were all a twitter about hopefully landing Beatrice Montpremier, as they preferred her over Degrate (post who chose L'ville), only to see BM drop down to 42. Oh, but I KNOW she (and Cooper) are MUCH better than their rankings! LOL...;)
Kiah Stokes was ranked 42 on HoopGurlz

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Arike Ogunbale moved from 24 to 10. Louisville has two PGs for 2015 with Durr and Cole so I'm thinking she will take a hard look at ND

I had been wondering when they would bring Ogunbowale up. With her resume, 24 did not make sense.

They have her as a PG but I think teams are looking at as 2-guard as well. Even Olson's 2013 evaluation calls her an off-guard. Bear in mind that ND already has Ali Patberg (up 25 to 14) in the mix as a "combo guard".

Meanwhile, Marina Mabrey's impressive summer (making U-18 team, among leading scorers in EYBL) sees her drop 19 to 26. I think she's been trending up in the other rankings.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Boykin was #32 previously, so actually they upgraded her.

Really? My old spreadsheet has her down as #10 in Hoop Gurlz. I had Jamesha Jackson as the previous Hoop Gurlz #32. Maybe I'm a couple updates behind, though.

Reaction Score
Really? My old spreadsheet has her down as #10 in Hoop Gurlz. I had Jamesha Jackson as the previous Hoop Gurlz #32. Maybe I'm a couple updates behind, though.

Thats what my spread had as well. I remember all 3 UCONN recruits being in the top 10.

Reaction Score
If Cecelia Zandalisini is that good, she shouldn't overlook the fact that there are very few D1 US schools where the head coach can speak her language.
Luigi could get Mama Marciella to whip up some struffoli and all could have a merry old time

upload_2014-9-11_9-57-23.png

HGN

Reaction Score
It's hard to believe that Collier fell 2 spots after the incredible summer she had on the court.....But maybe those other girls are just that good too.

As for Boykin , I think her value cannot be measured strictly on offensive play. She does so many other things on the court that just doesn't show up in the stats. Like playing good defense , positioning ; boxing out ; setting up teammates; and getting teammates open. etc.. etc..

To the UConn Huskies she's still Top 10.

Reaction Score
How could Collier have dropped? I can't beleieve how that is even possible. What does she need to do, do 360 dunks and hit half court shots?

And there was a poster here 2 motnhs ago that thought Boykin's rankings were dropped becasue of her injury. Wonder what his comments would be regarding her drop.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Some players don't "fall" so much as others get upgraded and that just re-shuffles things. That said, Collier getting skipped by two Euros is really silly, I don't care how good Salvadores looked at U-17. Also, having watched Jessica Shepherd quite a bit there is no way she's a better prospect than Collier. But then, they don't pay me to rank 'em.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Is there anything more meaningless than 52 five-star players???? Good gravy!
The optimist in me hopes it's because there is a greater depth of talent than in the olden days.

Reaction Score
Rankings are often a matter of taste and subjective priorities (and politics, but I won't go there). Boykin isn't flashy, a little undersized, and not a freak athlete. She may not scream WNBA lottery pick potential, but in terms of her college ball career she strikes me as top 10 material that will consistently get it done. And I think she will be a factor very early for the Huskies.

As far as Napheesa Collier, who knows? By the time she graduates she might get picked before Katie Lou in the WNBA draft.

I agree it's hard to justify ranking Euros so high given he/they probably got limited glimpses of them and only in specific contexts.

Reaction Score
52 5 stars, wow! and 21 98 rated players, Zowie!!!

Meh - they watered down the 2014 class, too - 21 players with a final ranking of 98. Imagine Kathryn Westbeld rated the same as Breanna Stewart a couple of years earlier!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Meh - they watered down the 2014 class, too - 21 players with a final ranking of 98. Imagine Kathryn Westbeld rated the same as Breanna Stewart a couple of years earlier!

Hey, Westbeld might be as good as Stewart (in magical fairy Irish dreamland), let me have my delusion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom