ESPN HoopGurlz shake up the 2015 Rankings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN HoopGurlz shake up the 2015 Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
HoopGurlz ratings are laughable at best IMHO.
I'm (honestly) not trying to be antagonistic here, but I would love to know what your opinion is based on. Is it a comparison with the other ranking services? Have you seen these players play (outside of the international competitions)? Which players do you feel are badly misranked and why?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
HoopGurlz ratings are laughable at best IMHO.

Possibly. BUT. . .

When you take all the rating services and examine their rankings/ratings of individual players, you can usually get a good idea of the player's potential. There is either a consensus or consistency except for an outlier (love that word, coined, I believe, by polling genius Nate Silver).

I have often posted my view of the combination of vital importance and extreme difficulty in evaluating individual athetic talent (hey, remember the trade of Jim Fregosi for Nolan Ryan?). This process is compounded when guesstimating how individuals will perform at the next level (remember Ryan Leaf?).

So the stakes are high and the margin for error is wide. And putting down any single rating service is as easy as catching fish in a barrel. But I contend that when viewed collectively they are useful.

Maybe.;)

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
How could Collier have dropped? I can't beleieve how that is even possible. What does she need to do, do 360 dunks and hit half court shots?

And there was a poster here 2 motnhs ago that thought Boykin's rankings were dropped becasue of her injury. Wonder what his comments would be regarding her drop.
I would have to agree with your concern.All Collier did,was act like superwoman all summer,and had us,as well as others,believing she was a possibility for super stardom.In my mind,she is a top four in her class.
It will be exciting to see if this rating sends her on a mission,to get even better and prove the "experts" are wrong again.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Possibly. BUT. . .

When you take all the rating services and examine their rankings/ratings of individual players, you can usually get a good idea of the player's potential. There is either a consensus or consistency except for an outlier (love that word, coined, I believe, by polling genius Nate Silver).

I have often posted my view of the combination of vital importance and extreme difficulty in evaluating individual athetic talent (hey, remember the trade of Jim Fregosi for Nolan Ryan?). This process is compounded when guesstimating how individuals will perform at the next level (remember Ryan Leaf?).

So the stakes are high and the margin for error is wide. And putting down any single rating service is as easy as catching fish in a barrel. But I contend that when viewed collectively they are useful.

Maybe.;)
If you're referring to the term 'outlier', it's been around for centuries; it predates Sir Ronald Fisher (who coined the term 'variance' and wrote the seminal textbook on the statistical methods for experimenters) by well over 100 years!

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Kiah Stokes was ranked 42 on HoopGurlz

Not sure you know this, but that was a completely different set of scouts evaluating talent. A few years ago, ESPN/Hoopgurlz was Chris Hansen, Glenn Nelson, and a few others. ESPN shook things up, kept the Hoopgurlz trade name, and now uses Dan Olson (of Collegiate Basketball Girls Report) for its rankings.

Overall, the changes seem to bring ESPN more in line with the other rankings.

There will always be differences in rankings and perception, based upon what evaluators look for in players and what they consider as criteria for their respective rankings. But I have noticed a lot greater uniformity among the ranking services (to extent such things are possible), at least as it pertains to the Duke commitments.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
First time I have seen 2 international players in the top 10 let alone the top 5.

Rankings are fun to look at but I don't carry much weight with them. You have to see players play and rate their potential (I suppose).

Again, have trust in Geno! I do!! Kelly Faris was rated in the 3o's and I wouldn't trade her for anyone else in her class.

;););););)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I would have to agree with your concern.All Collier did,was act like superwoman all summer,and had us,as well as others,believing she was a possibility for super stardom.In my mind,she is a top four in her class.
It will be exciting to see if this rating sends her on a mission,to get even better and prove the "experts" are wrong again.
You and hoophuskee make valid points however... Part of the evaluation is based on the potential of the player. IF they feel that Collier is approaching her max potential already, but others have much more room to grow, it's possible that's one reason why others are considered better "prospects" than she is. I'm not saying I necessarily agree, I'm just saying that's an added part of the equation...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
If you're referring to the term 'outlier', it's been around for centuries; it predates Sir Ronald Fisher (who coined the term 'variance' and wrote the seminal textbook on the statistical methods for experimenters) by well over 100 years!

Thanks for the correction. I wasn't around when Sir Ronald Fisher was and I confess that I take Nate Silver's statistical analyses as gospel, so in haste gave him too much credit as a lexicographer.

Serves me right.

(I will feel better when he predicts another NC for UConn.)

Reaction Score
Possibly. BUT. . .

Maybe.;)
I mean, I like Nate Silver as much as the next guy, but...

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Possibly. BUT. . .

Maybe.;)
LOL, I daresay that statisticians coined the term "outlier" long before Nate Silver.

Reaction Score
You and hoophuskee make valid points however... Part of the evaluation is based on the potential of the player. IF they feel that Collier is approaching her max potential already, but others have much more room to grow, it's possible that's one reason why others are considered better "prospects" than she is. I'm not saying I necessarily agree, I'm just saying that's an added part of the equation...

I know. I've only seen her just with the minutes this site and another site had shown. I see a ton of potential though. A ton. Which is why I'm shocked to see her drop. I'll say again - I haven't seen her much. But from what I saw - this player has superstar potential. Not saying she is going to be a superstar - just saying I see amazing potential and for what she has accomplished I can't understand her getting bumped. I've been known to be wrong many times in my life though. :) We shall see.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
LOL, I daresay that statisticians coined the term "outlier" long before Nate Silver.

I daresay that you are right and that I gave Nate too much credit. Perhaps he has given useful recent emphasis on the use of this term but that alone does not correct my errant scholarship.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I daresay that you are right and that I gave Nate too much credit. Perhaps he has given useful recent emphasis on the use of this term but that alone does not correct my errant scholarship.
Don't be hard on yourself. In the grand scheme of things he is a superb statistician, so I can see where you'd think that. I pride myself on my statistical analysis, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom