ESPN announcement for Jones? | Page 13 | The Boneyard

ESPN announcement for Jones?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
A George Costanza quote? Gotta love this guy. By the way, Kramer was out before I finished writing this.
That might have been the single funniest thing I ever saw on network TV. It was played perfectly.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
If Haley wants education and closeness to home and a good program and Tara is a legendary coach she will choose Stanford. If Haley wants the best coach in the history of the game coaching her for the next 4 years and play for the best program and have a opportunity to compete for a final four and national championship all 4 years and also get a Good education then it’s a easy choice it’s UCONN. My prediction is it’s down to UCONN and Stanford and it’s 50-50. Will come down to where her heart is. It’s anyone’s guess. I’ve been saying all along Boston is the must get .. UCONN loses out on both then UCONN is in major trouble. Let’s hope UCONN nation will be celebrating come next week!!! Go Huskies!!!!!! Lastly she can’t go wrong with either program...2 hall of fame coaches .. tough decision to make for a teenager.
I agree with you that this is a tough choice. If I were in her shoes I'd probably be tying myself in knots over this.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Me too. It's a good bet that Geno mentioned this to her (and her parents) more than once during their face to face conversations during her recent campus visit. :rolleyes: She knows UConn will have a glaring opening at the position she plays next year.

She can become a starter early on if she can come in and grasp enough of the program's basics to function (and flow) within the unit. I think it's safe to say that Geno will need both of them to start next year, using his OJT learning format for freshmen. ;)
OK, Scoop, you got me. What does OJT mean?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
OK, Scoop, you got me. What does OJT mean?

On the job training. :) It’s Learn as you go pardon my manners, hello Gus. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In spirit you are correct, but Phee did start a number of games before Lou finally settled in. Also Gabby.
In 2015-16, Gabby started 12 games, Phee started 9, and Lou started 22. Eventually, Lou won the starting spot, but ceded it in the national championship game due to her broken foot.

Reaction Score
I don't have the same opportunities to follow like I've had in the past. But I had chance to read all through this -- I have no idea where Haley will go as and mostly I never do unless you hear things like the player has all of a school's memorabilia around her etc.

I think it comes down to relationships. I'm old but at a small level I was part of a championship team that was an underdog. I don't see my past teammates/friends that much any more but what we did lasts a lifetime. And I think when we post on sites such as this we sometimes forget how important those friendships were in our youth. The relationships and challenges these players will forge will last a lifetime and they'll develop memories for a lifetime. When I see my past friends/teammates I share a certain love even now that is hard to explain. Yet I read some posts on here now about "Silicon Valley" and "Beauty of the school" -- I think that has nothing nothing nothing nothing to do with the decision. If you are a business person Silicon Valley would have some meaning. I think for an elite player like Haley-- she'll want teammates just as committed as she is to winning and forging relationships and fighting through challenges in the game of basketball. That's her scholarship. The other stuff like "Silicon Valley" and "beauty of the school" imo is just "noise."

She even says it in the article so the most important thing to her is her relationships on and off the court (though it doesn't mean it's the only reason.). For anyone that has played-- you have to recall that you probably loved your teammates near as much as anything in the world. That Imo is the decision when you're the elite recruit. Then I read this means she'll probably go to UCONN. I don't know that either, and unless someone on here is tight with her-- I don't think anyone knows which school has that.

And thanks coco for a brief description on who Haley most emulates-- but can you and/or others compare her to Maya? It seems Haley has a set shot from 3 where Maya had a jump shot. And it seems Haley has ball-handling which Maya didn't have. Offensively what made Maya so special is that she could get her jump shot off anytime anywhere. It doesn't appear Haley can do that at the 3pt line?

And I realize this is a Haley thread but if they get her and Aliyah and they have Aubrey - I can't predict championship but only that keep in mind tat ONO was considered the best recruit or 2nd best before she got hurt her jr year I think? And the key to basketball a lot is guard play. UCONN will have the best backcourt in America next year even though they lose KLS and NC. And other teams have weaknesses too. They have 10-15 fouls to give in the paint next year while winning the perimeter game. They aren't playing the "WNBA Champions." They are playing against other flawed college teams.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You guys worry to much about recruits. Jones and Boston are the only 2 top recruits who havent announced and UConn is the only top school to not have announced their 2019 class so I like our chances alot. Next Geno would not let every other top kid sign somewhere else unless he knew Jones was coming. He wouldve imo gone after Lateica who I think UConn couldve had only because of the Canadian connection with Nurse. Another point there is a position to fill next season in the starting lineup and Jones can fill it and Boston should see alot of action too as ONO will only be a soph. The following year Paige and Nat Marshall from Christ the King. Geno has great contacts with CTK. There will be alot of playtime for both Paige and Marshall. I am very high on Jones and Boston coming to UConn and I also think Paige or Van Lith along with Marshall are very promising for the following year. Always remember Geno knows exactly what he's doing. Always.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You guys worry to much about recruits. Jones and Boston are the only 2 top recruits who havent announced and UConn is the only top school to not have announced their 2019 class so I like our chances alot. Next Geno would not let every other top kid sign somewhere else unless he knew Jones was coming. He wouldve imo gone after Lateica who I think UConn couldve had only because of the Canadian connection with Nurse. Another point there is a position to fill next season in the starting lineup and Jones can fill it and Boston should see alot of action too as ONO will only be a soph. The following year Paige and Nat Marshall from Christ the King. Geno has great contacts with CTK. There will be alot of playtime for both Paige and Marshall. I am very high on Jones and Boston coming to UConn and I also think Paige or Van Lith along with Marshall are very promising for the following year. Always remember Geno knows exactly what he's doing. Always.
I'm thinking Paige Bueckers and Hailey Van Lith and possibly Hannah Gusters. I'm not optimistic about Marshall. Some have said she is a N.D. lean, but the problem for me is that Natalija reportedly acted very bored on her last UConn visit. Geno hates that kind of thing.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've been saying this for some time and Dorf has always confirmed my suspicions. Boston is a UConn lock, Jones is a big UConn lean, Fudd is a big UConn lean and Bueckers is a ND lean. Nothing said has changed my mind.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I've been saying this for some time and Dorf has always confirmed my suspicions. Boston is a UConn lock, Jones is a big UConn lean, Fudd is a big UConn lean and Bueckers is a ND lean. Nothing said has changed my mind.
Losing Bueckers would hurt but I believe most Boneyard devotees would be satisfied if Boston, Jones and Fudd wind up wearing UConn finery, especially if the absence of Bueckers is tempered somewhat by the signing of Van Lith, next year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Tonyc, your logic is impeccable...which worries me....:confused:

Reaction Score
Losing Bueckers would hurt but I believe most Boneyard devotees would be satisfied if Boston, Jones and Fudd wind up wearing UConn finery, especially if the absence of Bueckers is tempered somewhat by the signing of Van Lith, next year.

I've been following Bueckers from the beginning and I have know idea that she is leaning any more or less towards ND then Fudd is.............I would have thought they'd both be slight ND leans with time for UConn to make their case...............ultimately they're both going to be AA players and make their teams better in many respects.............I'd be thrilled to get either of them but in terms of pure versatility and team impact Bueckers would be my number one choice

Reaction Score

There is NO way that Marshall commits to UConn if they sign Boston!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If UConn gets Boton, Jones and Fudd, they would be in great shape even they don't get Bueckers. I've read that Fudd is considered the best high school player in the country regardless of class. She is supposed to be a player on the level of Moore, Taurasi, and Stewart, a definite program changer. I would be satisfied with that group.

Reaction Score

you wouldn't think so but I guess it would depend what her other options are...............I would think DeBerry in 2021 is more likely..........

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If UConn gets Boton, Jones and Fudd, they would be in great shape even they don't get Bueckers. I've read that Fudd is considered the best high school player in the country regardless of class. She is supposed to be a player on the level of Moore, Taurasi, and Stewart, a definite program changer. I would be satisfied with that group.
Fudd is really, really good. She's only about 5'10-1/2" but may have some growth left. She's smart and skilled and could be the best shooter since Lou or Kaleena--or maybe ever. She is arguably the best player in high school--as a sophomore.

Reaction Score
I wonder if all but Bueckers go to UConn, will she still come to UConn games to visit with her close friends? ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wait a second! Did you really think you could jump off the Boston to ND bandwagon that quickly and nobody would notice? Based on your past guesses Marshall is practically a UCONN lock now.

Reaction Score
Wait a second! Did you really think you could jump off the Boston to ND bandwagon that quickly and nobody would notice? Based on your past guesses Marshall is practically a UCONN lock now.

Apparently you failed to realize that "if" was the operative word in that sentence.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom