Ernest Jones resigns | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Ernest Jones resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I did.

You've never been a minority, huh.

What does that have to do with anything being discussed? You have no idea what I may or may not have been persecuted for, by simply having the birth parents I had, and regardless, it has nothing to do with what's being discussed.

Reaction Score
Your response was addressing a different hypothetical than Serrano posed. You're upset that the Jews got the time of the game changed because it affected your perception of how the football program is perceived by the rest of the country. Or something.

That's what you got out of my response? Wowzers.

Reaction Score
If Carl is a Christian and the school reschedules a game to a time that prohibits him from attending to accomodate Yom Kippur, why is it ok for the state university to make accomodations for one religion while possibly alienating others?
explain what religious holiday was celebrated by Christians on Sept. 14th?
The decision by Uconn was based on actual facts. I would think if there were a conflict, Uconn would have taken a different approach.

But let's not let facts get in the way of going off the deep end.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I generally detest that response. What's that supposed to mean? That he can't discuss this and state his opinions because he's a white guy?
Well, it appears to me he has no empathy for the probable 2000-4000 Jewish ticket season holders because the game was scheduled without consideration that it would prevent them from attending the game.

Being one of them, I commend the school for trying although the 7:30 start doesn't help most of them. Sunset was at 7:05, I believe. Puts a crimp in spending time with the family. If you go to services in the evening, you would miss the first quarter if not more.

I'm sorry if it put him out. I get put out all the time for things that have nothing to do with my religion. Welcome to my world,

Reaction Score
That would only make sense if the new time clashed with some type of mandatory religious observation for Carl. Otherwise, hard cheese for him.
thank you for adding some logic here.

Reaction Score
I can venture to guess but it's curious why Diaco was not more vocal in publicly backing his man, Jones. This issue is way too sensitive and fragile to get into the weeds on. I believe the coaching staff will be happy when this is all behind them. Just think there could have been a bit more damage control. Having said all that, no one knows the real reason Jones resigned.

Let's hope that they get the best person possible to fill Jones dual roles. Running backs and player development.
newsflash... just because the Boneyard overreacts, doesn't mean damage control is needed.
from all accounts, this was done in the right fashion by all parties. the only issue is all the speculation about what really happened.

Reaction Score
The decision by Uconn was based on actual facts. I would think if there were a conflict, Uconn would have taken a different approach.

You are completely missing the point.

Reaction Score
Well, it appears to me he has no empathy for the probable 2000-4000 Jewish ticket season holders because the game was scheduled without consideration that it would prevent them from attending the game.

Being one of them, I commend the school for trying although the 7:30 start doesn't help most of them. Sunset was at 7:05, I believe. Puts a crimp in spending time with the family. If you go to services in the evening, you would miss the first quarter if not more.

I'm sorry if it put him out. I get put out all the time for things that have nothing to do with my religion. Welcome to my world,

Oh please. He said nothing of the sort. The only other relevant part of your post is that moving the game really didn't allow Jews to attend if you followed the rules of the holiday as they're celebrated anyway.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
What does that have to do with anything being discussed? You have no idea what I may or may not have been persecuted for, by simply having the birth parents I had, and regardless, it has nothing to do with what's being discussed.
Being a minority has nothing to do with this? I'm not sure I agree.

Reaction Score

Well, I think you're blinded by some kind of persecution complex, because I've been clear that although it was an inconvenience for me, I wasn't particularly bothered by it at the time, and understood it and I've stated that elsewhere, as it's part of our cultural environment. I'm not particularly bothered by it now either, and am just using that scheduling change to indicate that there might just be a bit of hypocrisy there at the school. I think there is actual measurable negative consequence too, as to what happened with the broadcast reach of that game being moved, as opposed to anything measureable that Coach Jones did, that initiated a public response from the university president.

I do think, it's a fabrication to think that the game was going to be significantly impacted financially if it was played in daylight.

What Coach Jones did, was overstep his bounds verbally, in his job position. Without a doubt, and it needed to be addressed within the university. But he hadn't actually done anything illegal, and he certainly hadn't acted in any way (yet) to favor a certain religion over others while performing his job. Certainly nothing warranting a public statement from the university. It had nothing to do with the establishment clause, and the coach, hadn't even been interacting with players in any meaningful way yet.

Reaction Score

The game was changed without a hitch, because nobody complained loud enough. Whatever the reasons for complaining, are pretty much irrelevant - it seems in our current day and age.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Oh please. He said nothing of the sort. The only other relevant part of your post is that moving the game really didn't allow Jews to attend if you followed the rules of the holiday as they're celebrated anyway.
No? It's clear he felt the game shouldn't have been moved. Looks like he has no empathy for the many Jewish ticket holders that couldn't attend.

It's not relevant that I couldn't go to the game? It was to me. I was pissed the game was scheduled on that day at all.

He also put the folks who couldn't get ESPN3 ahead of ticket holders. That is BS to me.

Reading his and your posts, something tells me you are in the religious majority.

Reaction Score
Well, I think you're blinded by some kind of persecution complex, because I've been clear that although it was an inconvenience for me, I wasn't particularly bothered by it at the time, and understood it and I've stated that elsewhere, as it's part of our cultural environment. I'm not particularly bothered by it now either, and am just using that scheduling change to indicate that there might just be a bit of hypocrisy there at the school. I think there is actual measurable negative consequence too, as to what happened with the broadcast reach of that game being moved, as opposed to anything measureable that Coach Jones did, that initiated a public response from the university president.

I do think, it's a fabrication to think that the game was going to be significantly impacted financially if it was played in daylight.

What Coach Jones did, was overstep his bounds verbally, in his job position. Without a doubt, and it needed to be addressed within the university. But he hadn't actually done anything illegal, and he certainly hadn't acted in any way (yet) to favor a certain religion over others while performing his job. Certainly nothing warranting a public statement from the university. It had nothing to do with the establishment clause, and the coach, hadn't even been interacting with players in any meaningful way yet.
And once again Mr. Obvious, that is your OPINION. Nothing more. My opinion was that a clarification (not a rebuke) from SH was the right thing to do. If that is truly the reason he chose to leave, then all I can do is say "good luck". Let's just stop dragging down UConn over this.

Reaction Score
No? It's clear he felt the game shouldn't have been moved. Looks like he has no empathy for the many Jewish ticket holders that couldn't attend.

It's not relevant that I couldn't go to the game? It was to me. I was pissed the game was scheduled on that day at all.

He also put the folks who couldn't get ESPN3 ahead of ticket holders. That is BS to me.

Reading his and your posts, something tells me you are in the religious majority.

That is really funny, because when it comes to religious beliefs, you couldn't be more wrong about Jimmy and I.

Reaction Score

It warranted a public statement from the university because Jones' unfortunate error was made in public in an official role as part of his job. Even if he said the same thing in a team meeting, for instance, I'll bet Diaco or Manuel would have pulled him aside and said, "Ernie, remember that you are not at ND any more. That is overstepping our bounds at a public university." A couple of corrective comments to the team and it would have been successfully handled internally. Unfortunately, that wouldn't be enough when the original quote was to a news reporter interviewing a coach about his perception of his job responsibilities.

Reaction Score
It warranted a public statement from the university because Jones' unfortunate error was made in public in an official role as part of his job. Had he said the same thing in a team meeting, for instance, I'll bet Diaco or Manuel would have pulled him aside and said, "Ernie, remember that you are not at ND any more. That is overstepping our bounds at a public university." Unfortunately, that wouldn't be enough when the original quote was to a news reporter interviewing a coach about his perception of his job responsibilities.

I'll say this one last time before somebody accuses me of being anti-Semitic, anti-Jesus, ant-baby seals, etc...

IN MY OPINION: President Herbst should have left this alone in the media, the situation handled internally, and I do agree that a public statement was necessary, but it should have come from the coach himself who should have corrected his statements in the press. IN MY OPINION, choosing to respond to this thing in the press was a mistake, and contradicts her own support of the university to change scheduling arrangement for the same sport - football, to accommodate a particular religion. I further opine, that in making that schedule change, it caused potential negative consequence to the broadcasting reach of our home football game, and by extension potential revenue streams.

What religions are involved, to me, are irrelevant.

I wish Coach Jones the best wherever he goes, and I want us to line up in the huddle in the fall, get the play calls, and go out in formation and kick our opponent's ass, and if Jesus is there, or Allah, or Spaghetti Monster, or whatever, I don't care. Much like Crom, if he or she doesn't answer my prayers, to hell with them, we should do it ourselves.

I'm sure that reference will probably get somebody worked up too, although it's just a movie.

Peace out.

and for whaler....wouldn't you rather it had been more boobies?

Reaction Score
"Accommodating a religion" does not equal "Advocating a religion."

One is a very appropriate thing to do at any institution, public or private, while the other is not appropriate at a public institution (or non-sectarian private one for that matter) in public statements by staff acting in an official capacity.

I do agree that the ideal response would have been a clarification by the coach, but that would have had to occur right away - before people reasonably questioned whether such public statements were sanctioned by the university. Perhaps Diaco or Manuel should have acted sooner (as in having the Courant publish the coach's correction the next day) and could have headed this off, but once it was in public debate, it really required a policy response from the school. That's 20/20 hindsight, however, that doesn't take into account all that was happening at the same time (getting the new staff up and running, relaunching recruiting, etc.).

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
"We are, of course, obliged to respect the other fellow's religions opinions, but only in the same sense and to the same extent that we respect his opinion that his wife is beautiful and his kids smart." H.L. Mencken

Reaction Score
The game was changed without a hitch, because nobody complained loud enough. Whatever the reasons for complaining, are pretty much irrelevant - it seems in our current day and age.
Exactly... so why are you making the point now?

Reaction Score
Wow. Just opened the thread on my phone and saw 26 pages. Lol.

Can someone give me the TL/DR cutdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69