2025 Recruiting: - Eric Reibe Official Visit | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Eric Reibe Official Visit

Reaction Score
What scoring option was Stewart when he saw the floor, how many minutes was he even getting the latter part of the season and how many shots per game was he averaging?

You simply can't go by just points per game or even his highest scoring game from last year because he was still developing his game, he was not in there to take many shots and he flat out had so few opportunities to put up many shots.

Give him a chance to see what he will do when he has more minutes and shots to show you what he can do. I'm not about to predict how many points he'll average this coming season, but I think he'll be a productive player and has as good a chance to get solid minutes either coming off the bench or even starting some games this season.
Point is lot of hype from some select BYers for a couple small samples. This is a deep roster and it’s unlikely he’ll be a featured player, and part of a sum this year. He has the best player on the team in front of him at his natural position and a 5 star to battle for the 3.

Reaction Score
Who do you have as our starting 5?
Mahaney, Stewart, Karaban are locks to start in my eyes. If McNeeley can handle playing the 2 spot he probably starts over Ball there. No idea at the 5 spot.

I recognize it may be bold, I just don't see any way Stewart doesn't start even with all the talent we have

Reaction Score
Stewart scored 2 points or fewer in 26 of the 37 games he appeared in last season.

Yes, he came on late a bit. But also he scored 9 points total in the 6 NCAA tournament games, and did not score in 3 of the 6. He scored over 5 points in 2 of the last 15 games of the season (but they were 2 very nice important games!)

He scored in double figures 1 time in 37 games. He scored 8 points or more in 3 games.

The Stewart hype has to relax. Sure, he could be Jordan Hawkins. This is UConn and Hurley. The development is great. But Jordan Hawkins scored 8 points or more in 1/3 of his games at a freshman, 4x more frequently. Double figures 7 times in 27 games, 10x more frequently.
Maybe I'm projecting too much, I just think the reason Stewart didn't score was because he wasn't being asked to do it. If he were on the same team as Hawkins was freshman year I think he could have put up similar numbers

I will admit my response, or at least the reason I was so adamant in support of Stewart, was who I was responding to. It's just repeated negativity about UConn from them

pj

Reaction Score
Stewart passes the eye test and on many teams he'd be a star. We just happen to have a loaded roster. Will be interesting to see how things play out in terms of minutes and stats. You can't sit Stewart, you can't sit McNeeley, you can't sit Diarra, you can't sit Mahaney, you can't sit Karaban, and you have to find minutes for Ball, Ross, Abraham, and Nowell. One of Reed, Johnson, and Singare will be on the court. We have more quality players than minutes to give them.

Reaction Score
Mahaney, Stewart, Karaban are locks to start in my eyes. If McNeeley can handle playing the 2 spot he probably starts over Ball there. No idea at the 5 spot.

I recognize it may be bold, I just don't see any way Stewart doesn't start even with all the talent we have

I was thinking Mahaney/McNeeley/Stewart/Karaban/Reed would be our second most likely lineup. My guess is Hass starts over Stewart, but I really have np confidence in that.

We're so deep, feels like at least 9 guys could start and not surprise me.

Reaction Score
I was thinking Mahaney/McNeeley/Stewart/Karaban/Reed would be our second most likely lineup. My guess is Hass starts over Stewart, but I really have np confidence in that.

Definitely 9 guys you could make a case for starting. And at that point it's already tough to squeeze Ross or Abraham into the rotation. Obviously these things work themselves out, but the depth is crazy with next year's team

Reaction Score
Point is lot of hype from some select BYers for a couple small samples. This is a deep roster and it’s unlikely he’ll be a featured player, and part of a sum this year. He has the best player on the team in front of him at his natural position and a 5 star to battle for the 3.
For those who have him as a lock as the starting 3, I agree it's a tad premature, but his D was impressive down the stretch and conversely, the little video I've seen from McNeeley on D didn't look very good. Now based on comments from Hurley, the focus for the first summer session was offense, so McNeeley likely hasn't been drilled heavily on their team D and how to best keep yourself between your assignment and the basket. I have a feeling that Stewart's D is going to earn him a lot of minutes, particularly early in the season while McNeeley's need to improve on that end of the floor might keep him on the bench longer than some expect. Maybe, I'm wrong and both players will be solid on both ends of the floor, making it difficult for Hurley to find enough minutes for both of them.

There's a lot of players on this team that fit the pisitionless, as it is often called, system at UConn. It's more a multi-position system where many combination of players can coexist at any point in the game predicated by matchups, situations, who's playing better in any given game or foul trouble.

I would not be shocked that in some games Stewart gets more PT than McNeeley and in other games it's the reverse. If the type of game is a defensive rock fight, maybe that would favor Stewart, if they need scoring, McNeeley might bring something to the table that fits the need.

Reaction Score
Don't take this in a negative way but I'm curious. You have pretty strong opinions (which is fine) and have been posting a lot lately. Your profile says you joined in 2011 but only have 665 posts. What gives? Were you mostly a lurker for a long time and have come out of your shell recently?

Reaction Score
Definitely 9 guys you could make a case for starting. And at that point it's already tough to squeeze Ross or Abraham into the rotation. Obviously these things work themselves out, but the depth is crazy with next year's team
And Ross has been getting rave reviews. I think he was last year as well, but he has also been on the podium for practices, so his work is matching the talent it seems.

Reaction Score
Don't take this in a negative way but I'm curious. You have pretty strong opinions (which is fine) and have been posting a lot lately. Your profile says you joined in 2011 but only have 665 posts. What gives? Were you mostly a lurker for a long time and have come out of your shell recently?
Been around for way longer than 2011. Where is that old battle ax Fishy these days anyway?

Been a die hard home grown Husky fan since I was a kid late 80s, good chunk of the family Alum. The Ollie years and AAC were hard to watch. Like an oncoming accident you hope sorts itself out while not looking, for something you grew up with so much pride in. I guess everyone treats sports trauma differently. Hurley has created a lot of renewed enthusiasm obviously and reinvented the program into something so amazing it’s hard to believe sometimes.

As a former professional athlete, I don’t wear rose colored glasses 24-7. I know some here do, and expect everyone else to. I just don’t find it objective, or interesting ;).

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think you could see Stewart break out, but not to the level of lottery pick Jordan Hawkins. I think you can reasonably expect 10+ ppg in either a starting, or 6th man role. The first round leap might come in his junior season.

Reaction Score
View attachment 102956 Clearly you are part of the JStew fan club. That’s a lot of confidence for a kid that only started seeing real minutes towards the back half. He only played 4 minutes in the NC, 7 against Bama. Had no stats in either game. Not a rebound.

I’ll take your bet - 100 bucks the opposite of your guarantees happen.
I'm not as high on Stewart as he is but this is a hilarious way to frame a freshman getting minutes in the biggest games possible for one of the best college teams of all time.

Reaction Score

To me the easy call for Hurley is to have McNeeley come off the bench. It's super easy to sell him on playing starters minutes coming in for Stewart, who is also a very good player, has paid his dues for a year, and honestly is going to be better defensively at the start of the season than McNeeley anyway. McNeeley can still close games, and he's been in the NBA pipeline for years playing on the FIBA teams, so it's not going to effect his NBA stock at all to come off the bench. It's just way more logical in a situation where you have a bunch of guys all good enough to start.

Reaction Score
Been around for way longer than 2011. Where is that old battle ax Fishy these days anyway?

Been a die hard home grown Husky fan since I was a kid late 80s, good chunk of the family Alum. The Ollie years and AAC were hard to watch. Like an oncoming accident you hope sorts itself out while not looking, for something you grew up with so much pride in. I guess everyone treats sports trauma differently. Hurley has created a lot of renewed enthusiasm obviously and reinvented the program into something so amazing it’s hard to believe sometimes.

As a former professional athlete, I don’t wear rose colored glasses 24-7. I know some here do, and expect everyone else to. I just don’t find it objective, or interesting ;).
Thanks. So did you not post for a long time? So the success the team had with Hurley brought you back? I'm just wondering how you didn't post for so long and why compared to how much you're posting now. Were you reading the Boneyard and just not posting? I post a decent amount and I can't imagine reading the board and not posting at all.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We don’t even know if he’s starting. Most prognostications have him coming off the bench in favor of McNeely. He’s a talented kid but I think most are highly over blowing his draft stock. I’d be surprised if he goes this year and I don’t mind being wrong. He had some very mini flashes last year, but I still see him as a raw product.

Hawk was a core starter and center of offense. Agree that the jump can happen at any point but I don’t even know what his strength is at this point. What I know is it isn’t his jump shot/3, as he shot 21% last year and that was after getting hot-ish towards end of year. Having been at the open practice I can see why in his release. I honestly don’t know why anyone can be “shocked” if he’s back.
Who are these prognosticators?

I gave a strong suspicion that as a whole they are doing little more than guessing.

Reaction Score
I'm not as high on Stewart as he is but this is a hilarious way to frame a freshman getting minutes in the biggest games possible for one of the best college teams of all time.
Sent his season stats and another poster shared his overall tourney stats, a tourney where we blew out opponents every game, except for Bama.

In 21 minutes between the Illinois and NW games, he scored 2 points and had 1 rebound. Across the season he averaged 9 minutes per game and averaged 2 points and 1 rebound, shot 20.7% from 3.

He had a really nice breakout game against Marquette in the BE final, and 1-2 other nice games the entire remainder of the year. I get it, fans get excited. I really like the kid, just haven’t seen anything yet to anoint him an auto 1st round draft pick. Feels like it’s based purely on hopeful speculation and one game. 95% chance he’s back junior year. Happy to eat crow on that one.

Reaction Score
Thanks. So did you not post for a long time? So the success the team had with Hurley brought you back? I'm just wondering how you didn't post for so long and why compared to how much you're posting now. Were you reading the Boneyard and just not posting? I post a decent amount and I can't imagine reading the board and not posting at all.
Variety of life factors, multiple business’, etc and was honestly following more realignment stuff at the time than hoops as kinda knew the future of the program really depended on getting out of the AAC. Ollie was on a clear downward trajectory. I’d consider myself a prideful spoiled fan as watched JC build this thing from nothing to the apex, to then see it flushed away. It was hard to watch. I’m beyond grateful for Hurley.

Reaction Score
not uncommon, I read for years before I posted. Retired and bored, the Yard is a hobby now, lotsa fun!

Reaction Score
Most prognostications are dumb then if they don't have him starting. He's going to start, and he's going to be a 1st round pick. This conversation is going to look dumb in a few months. I honestly don't know what you were watching based on your comments on Stewart, it certainly wasn't any of the UConn basketball games last year
What??? Listen, you may be proven right, but to think that he WILL definitely go from fringe rotation player to the NBA is more crazy than thinking that he will take an extra year to work on his game. This topic must be read in conjunction with how incredibly deep we are. It wouldn’t be a shame on him to back up Liam and Alex. Your take is too radical.

awy

Reaction Score
there's more way to get drafted than college production. it's really about talent.

Reaction Score
The starter tag will be less important on the upcoming version of the Huskies squad than just about any in recent memory. Other than Karaban, I’d be surprised if anyone averaged over 30 minutes a game. There should be a bunch of guys averaging 15-25 minutes a game, imo. There should be a lot of opportunities for guys to shine and handle different roles.

Reaction Score
I followed the board for 10-15 years and never posted for what its worth

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom