Enoch | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Enoch

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yes, that's why I think the transfer will end up being good for both parties. We replaced Enoch with guys who want to work, and he got an opportunity for a fresh start that he will have to make good on. He'd better drink the water in Louisville or his career is over almost before it started.

People hate this scenario, but it may very well be true. On paper, we are worse off atm. We'll see how it plays out.

One things for sure, Enoch needed a red shirt year. And he'll get that this year. That's on the UCONN coaching staff for not making it happen coming in -> wasted year. Same thing happened to Facey.

The one that really hurt us is Durham. He'll be really, really nice as a Jr/Sr. Still pissed.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't get the "let's play this kid more because he will still be here. We will do this despite the fact he can't guard a chair and the senior at least can block shots and deserves the time." You want negative recruiting you just asked for it? I mean "KO doesn't care if you're the better player later on your career, if the team is having an off year you're not playing because he's going to play the kids who need to get better for him and next year"

That just isn't good. Here's a thought, when you're on the court prove you deserve to stay on the court and use everything you learned in practice. And if people go by you and score because you have no clue on defense and on the other end you get a rebound but can't finish a dunk or get a lay up blocked even though you have low block position then work harder next time and maybe you get a few more minutes? How's that for a concept on playing time?

By the way I was with you at the beginning of the year on this, but he didn't improve and proved nothing at all and deserved nothing more than he got.

The most preposterous notion on the Yard is that players should play in order to develop and not because they earned and therefore deserve minutes. Mind boggling stuff.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You have to be a mean SOB who loves his players -- which means, among other things, and showing them their path to the NBA and helping them achieve it, i.e. player development. Having a full roster is going to help. I hope we don't get another raft of transfers next spring from the big men who don't win the minutes battle. A sense that the coach cares for them and is helping them develop will make a huge difference.
And it has to be real. Calhoun didn't play at being a demanding SOB who loved his guys and wanted the best for them. He was a demanding SOB who loved his guys and wanted the best for them.

I think AD Dave made clear that losing seasons aren't acceptable at UConn. I also am hopeful that KO has a bunch of guys who have/will buy into the message that hard work bring results. I hope these guys are all on a mission. Jalen to make his mark among the greats at UConn. Gilbert and Larrier champing at the bit to play after losing last season. Vital to continue to show that he's not a role player at UConn. The new guys to show UConn isn't a donut team any longer. Hopefully, it all comes together into a pile mean hungry huskies that are just miserable to play against.

I just have a feeling about the season, we're doomed and all, but I have a feeling.

Reaction Score
People hate this scenario, but it may very well be true. On paper, we are worse off atm. We'll see how it plays out.

One things for sure, Enoch needed a red shirt year. And he'll get that this year. That's on the UCONN coaching staff for not making it happen coming in -> wasted year. Same thing happened to Facey.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
UConn has had so little depth in the front court since 2012 that we couldn't afford to sit our two highest rated recruits.
Facey was 20 years old as a freshman by the way yet inexperienced and very thin but not a great red shirt candidate. With Brimah ,Nolan,an freshman Lubin only other Bigs
Enoch certainly could have used a year as he was a kid as a freshman with raw skills and limited basketball knowledge. Maybe with Shonn,Brimah ,Nolan , Facey, it was a possibility. Without details it's a tough call . Didn't Brimah miss about six weeks?
The truth is we have been short handed to the extant we couldn't even sit Durham this last year.
We now have the best front court depth we've had in years but it's the quality of that depth that is questionable.

Of course we could.

Enoch's freshman year: Nolan, Facey, Brimah, Miller, and heck, throw in Nnamdi and Foxen. They were probably better than Enoch that year anyway. And we played Hamilton occasionally at the 4 when going small.

He averaged 7mpg. You don't think we could have spread those minutes around? Course we could have.

Facey's freshman year: Brimah, Daniels, Nolan, Olander, and Giffey could guard the 4 on occasion. Throw in Tolksdorf for fun.

He averaged 5.1 mpg. You don't think we could have spread those minutes around? Course we could have.

Reaction Score

The one that really hurt us is Durham. He'll be really, really nice as a Jr/Sr. Still pissed.

Have we heard any more of a story on why Durham left?

Enoch, maybe he was (understandably) dissatisfied with playing time after seeing Brimah fumble the ball out of bounds for 30 mpg.

But Durham I don't understand.

Reaction Score
The most preposterous notion on the Yard is that players should play in order to develop and not because they earned and therefore deserve minutes. Mind boggling stuff.

Was Thabeet the best center in 2007? Because he was an embarrassment on the court, but JC anointed him the starting center anyway.

But with that experience he was passable in 2008 and near-dominant in 2009.

Reaction Score
Have we heard any more of a story on why Durham left?

Enoch, maybe he was (understandably) dissatisfied with playing time after seeing Brimah fumble the ball out of bounds for 30 mpg.

But Durham I don't understand.
This is the only thing I've seen from Durham about why he left. There were rumors that Ollie wasn't pleased with his work ethic and told him so in the end of season meeting.

“I just felt like it wasn’t the best fit for me,” Durham, who has been contacted by Boston College, Notre Dame and Florida Gulf Coast, told the Register on Monday. “I felt like I didn’t flow too well with what was going on here. It wasn’t the coaching staff or my teammates or anything like that.”

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Was Thabeet the best center in 2007? Because he was an embarrassment on the court, but JC anointed him the starting center anyway.

But with that experience he was passable in 2008 and near-dominant in 2009.

It was either him or Mandledove. Take your pick. Thabeet started, because, even with just standing in the middle of the floor, he had more impact on the game than any other 5.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

He should have been paying attention to Brimah at the other end of the floor...and maybe trying to learn something. Brimah, even with his limitations as they were, was light years ahead of Enoch on the defensive side of the ball. And that's more important at the five.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He should have been paying attention to Brimah at the other end of the floor...and maybe trying to learn something. Brimah, even with his limitations as they were, was light years ahead of Enoch on the defensive side of the ball. And that's more important at the five.

I have a feeling once the aftershock from the poor overall results of the past few years has subsided, Brimah's defense will gain a new level of appreciation.

Reaction Score
Play Enoch over Brimah and we go 9-23. That's not fair to the other players who are working their asses off. The question is why couldn't KO and Glen Miller motivate Enoch to play defense, not whether the demotivated Enoch we saw should get more playing time.
I guess I'm in the minority who thought that after the injuries we were going nowhere and Enoch should have been given a full shot. Look at Brimah's lines. He was giving us shotblocking and not much else. I'm certainly aware that Enoch's defense was not good but everyone keeps acting like Brimah was stellar, I watched him get abused and thrown around plenty, also getting blown by. Remember the games with zero , 1 or 2, rebounds? That's a 7 footer. I don't root for Pitino and Louisville but I think they are going to benefit. Time will tell. I can't say that I know the whole story, what his attitude was, what he was like in the locker room but the article describes him as certainly not a cancer. KO could be part of this problem, especially after seeing who else left.

Reaction Score
Enoch, Enoch, Enoch. He is the type of recruit that gets their coaches fire per Dick Vital. I first saw him play in the Hartford proam in 2015. He looked like a chiesel ancient greek statue. He was on Amida's team and was the 4th best big on that team. I was a little concern but brush it off till the season starts n expect him to make improvements. He never did, he is a good student but his work ethic is overrated. Last summer after the Armenian team, the staff wanted him back for the summer. He instead went to train with a female cousin in Georgia on his conditioning n not his game. Doubt that he train at all and he did not make it back till the fall. He was ready to transfer at the drop of a hat when he got back. His lack of development is on him for not practicing n watching films. He was also a terrible influence on Durham. He is/was the type of player that expect improvements with just showing up to practice n the games.

Reaction Score
Enoch, Enoch, Enoch. He is the type of recruit that gets their coaches fire per Dick Vital. I first saw him play in the Hartford proam in 2015. He looked like a chiesel ancient greek statue. He was on Amida's team and was the 4th best big on that team. I was a little concern but brush it off till the season starts n expect him to make improvements. He never did, he is a good student but his work ethic is overrated. Last summer after the Armenian team, the staff wanted him back for the summer. He instead went to train with a female cousin in Georgia on his conditioning n not his game. Doubt that he train at all and he did not make it back till the fall. He was ready to transfer at the drop of a hat when he got back. His lack of development is on him for not practicing n watching films. He was also a terrible influence on Durham. He is/was the type of player that expect improvements with just showing up to practice n the games.

Interesting. Are you going by rumors or what could be perceived as an insider? Some of this makes sense by the pattern on the sidelines which I saw at games.

Reaction Score
Interesting. Are you going by rumors or what could be perceived as an insider? Some of this makes sense by the pattern on the sidelines which I saw at games.
Combo of both. At age 40, still play pick up a lot n that includes some ex uconn players. Don't blame the uconn staff on Enoch. He never took took full opportunity. Remember Ollie, we want UCONN type players. He never understood that at this level, u practice n think basketball all The time. He's not a bad kid and he enjoyed his time at UCONN. Most people n that includes me don't have the drive to continue at the high division one pace. It's much easier to practice shooting, offense then the boring grind of defense n rebounding

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Combo of both. At age 40, still play pick up a lot n that includes some ex uconn players. Don't blame the uconn staff on Enoch. He never took took full opportunity. Remember Ollie, we want UCONN type players. He never understood that at this level, u practice n think basketball all The time. He's not a bad kid and he enjoyed his time at UCONN. Most people n that includes me don't have the drive to continue at the high division one pace. It's much easier to practice shooting, offense then the boring grind of defense n rebounding

If all of this is true, the year he has to sit out won't do him or Louisville much good. Maybe Tricky Ricky is content with having a giant crash dummy to bang with other big guys in practice, helping them get ready for games.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Not talking about summer. He has lots of talent, which I'm confident pitino will get out of him.

Talent is one thing but the desire is another and we are not sure he has that.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If all of this is true, the year he has to sit out won't do him or Louisville much good. Maybe Tricky Ricky is content with having a giant crash dummy to bang with other big guys in practice, helping them get ready for games.

Actually, that might be just what he needs. Maturity could have been an issue with this kid. He came in so young. And he didn't even mature into his game until late in highschool. And was even then still quite raw.

He might just need time.

Reaction Score
Over analysis on Enoch, all I am going to say is that I wouldn't blame Kevin Ollie for Enoch being awful.

Let's move on, we have a bunch of bigs who look like their Hungry Huskies, kids from all walks of life, who more importantly have had to face adversity already in their young careers.

I am excited to finally see some kids again who are hungry and are not entitled like the Steven Enoch's & Vance Jackson's of the world.

#moveon

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom