Enoch | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Enoch

Reaction Score
Pssst...nobody tell Louisville fans that those numbers don't mean squat.

From one year ago:

UConn’s Steve Enoch enjoyed Armenian experience

In fairness, his scoring numbers went way up this summer and so did his efficiency. But I was about to post the same thing. Matter of fact, he could have averaged some damn nice numbers last season in D-1 ball if he wasn't such a liability on defense.

One other thing that shows me you know nothing about college basketball is when you say things like "it's obvious that the Louisville staff thought he deserved more minutes at UConn." Louisville has been the best defense in college basketball over the last five years and their fan base lambasted Pitino for only playing V.J. King 14 minutes a game. He's even stingier than Ollie when it comes to these things.

Reaction Score
In my view he did not have a prime opportunity - no orthodox S&C coach and a Bigs coach assigned by lottery since their was no Bigs coach on the staff.

Double whammy then huh, no bigs coach and no bigs who were coachable at all. Not a good thing.

Reaction Score

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
In my view he did not have a prime opportunity - no orthodox S&C coach and a Bigs coach assigned by lottery since their was no Bigs coach on the staff.

At some point, these guys need to be able to figure out a few things on their own. The coaches can't get out on the court and make plays for them. Sooner or later the light bulb in their heads needs to switch to the 'on' position. That never happened here with Enoch. Maybe it will somewhere else and maybe it won't. I don't wish him any ill will, but I couldn't care less what he does for Louisville.

Reaction Score
Is Poland or Finland on Lville's schedule? He did this last year and it meant nothing, even for you this is a stretch.

Main takeaway: He shot less than 50% from the field against competition probably worse than the AAC.

Belarus, Poland and Belgium have nobody over 6'9". Finland has one 6'11 guy and the rest are 6'8" or below.

Even his own team Armenia has only 1 other guy on the roster aside from Enoch over 6'6" and he's 6'8".

Reaction Score
At some point, these guys need to be able to figure out a few things on their own. The coaches can't get out on the court and make plays for them. Sooner or later the light bulb in their heads needs to switch to the 'on' position. That never happened here with Enoch. Maybe it will somewhere else and maybe it won't. I don't wish him any ill will, but I couldn't care less what he does for Louisville.

Thanks Nick, imagine that concept? :eek: Getting taught some things by a 6'2" "big mans coach" and repeating these moves again and again in practice, and then being able to bring them to the court? Most of these kids have learned how to do this prior to college, some get it in college and are able to transition to the court, others I guess have been going to UConn. LOL

Reaction Score
Not talking about summer. He has lots of talent, which I'm confident pitino will get out of him.

Not sure what you were watching besides the fact he has talent which we all agree with. But he learned nothing in 2 years, was awful on defense. If it takes 4 years for him to learn then I'm glad Ricky has him he would have been a waste here, was proven already. The fact the light may finally go off while at Louisville says nothing about Rick but go ahead and believe what you want.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Thanks Nick, imagine that concept? :eek: Getting taught some things by a 6'2" "big mans coach" and repeating these moves again and again in practice, and then being able to bring them to the court? Most of these kids have learned how to do this prior to college, some get it in college and are able to transition to the court, others I guess have been going to UConn. LOL

I think I may have just figured this all out, Mau. We're suffering from an extended hangover caused by "The Curse of Clyde Vaughan", since he's been elevated to a God-like pedestal here. It's similar to the infamous "Curse of the Bambino". Unless and until we rid ourselves forever of the ghost of Clyde, we are destined to never, ever have a big man contribute much of anything again at UConn. Somewhere right now Clyde is laughing fiendishly at all of us in UConnNation. He's diabolical. Is there an exorcist in the house? Be gone, evil spirits! :eek:

Reaction Score
I was a guy who thought he'd be the guy we needed in the middle. If anything he trended backwards last year only showing a glimmer of hope a couple of games on offense. He is/was dreadful on defense, made AB and KF look like they knew what they were doing on help D and he can't move his feet. Whatever he does in 2 years congrats, he earned zero here and hot the minutes he deserved. One of the kids we have here will be better than he would have I am sure.

Next
He couldn't deliver the goods in the AAC, I find it hard to believe that he will immediately thrive in the ACC. Being a CT kid I hope he proves me wrong, but we had him for 2 years and he couldn't move out Amida, who was a marginal Center.

pj

Reaction Score
I think I may have just figured this all out, Mau. We're suffering from an extended hangover caused by "The Curse of Clyde Vaughan", since he's been elevated to a God-like pedestal here. It's similar to the infamous "Curse of the Bambino". Unless and until we rid ourselves forever of the ghost of Clyde, we are destined to never, ever have a big man contribute much of anything again at UConn. Somewhere right now Clyde is laughing fiendishly at all of us in UConnNation. He's diabolical. Is there an exorcist in the house? Be gone, evil spirits! :eek:

For a state university that can't employee Catholic priests, there's only one way to exorcise the ghost. Bring back Clyde!

Reaction Score
This whole "Enoch has tons of talent and was misused" trope is laughable. Guy didn't know where the hoop , ball , or his man was 95% of the time.

Yup. Everyone often complained how awful Brimah was yet Enoch still didn't take any time from him.

Reaction Score
Perhaps then he should stay in Armenia. In a time of position less basketball, that leaves Steve without a position. Sure, he would have been a fine player 30 years ago, but he is way to slow and methodical to be effective in today's game. I know the boneyard is making him out to be the next Shaq, but most objective observers will tell you he is a far from it. If he gets on the floor at Louisville, I would expect similar lines to what we already saw.

I would be willing to put up a fair amount of money that Enoch puts up far better numbers at Louisville than he did at UConn. That said, he truly was lost on defense almost all the time.

Reaction Score
Steve can put up numbers if used in the right way in a system that uses Bigs. Maybe not great competition but he is being productive and you have to like his foul shooting, rebounding and efficiency.

New Louisville big man Steven Enoch among stat leaders at European Championship

LMAO. Sure, he can. If he also gets a heck of a lot better. And if my aunt grew a pair, ....

Look, I hope he succeeds and I have never discounted the potential of anyone with that body and quickness. But if you're going to make it sound like his problem at UConn was primarily that we didn't use him right, you would be an idiot. His primary problem at UConn is he sucked.

Reaction Score
LMAO. Sure, he can. If he also gets a heck of a lot better. And if my aunt grew a pair, ....

Look, I hope he succeeds and I have never discounted the potential of anyone with that body and quickness. But if you're going to make it sound like his problem at UConn was primarily that we didn't use him right, you would be an idiot. His primary problem at UConn is he sucked.

Well said lol

Reaction Score
enoch une playa/totally mishandled/courant regime wood not sea une playa iffy das big dipper dropped dans anticoach's office for une extended chat wit accompanying video of sixer vs celts world tag teem title tilt

courant regime is doomed iffy knot value and feature big boy boppin et quick pace offense two put numbers on board

50 point, play scared knot 2 lose attack ist disaster

jalen way over praised by fanbase/hims simply not that good to fill role him needs 2 fill on deficient club

current regime ist out of hiding places; its a shame, too bad, could bee

Reaction Score
Lol Confident? Would you like to wager on that? I'll wager on your confidence.
I was a big Enoch supporter and I predicted when we recruited him that he was still a kid a would grow into a significant physical presence.
But blaming anyone other than himself for his poor performance is totally wrong.
We essentially had a 7 man rotation . I'm sure KO would have loved to play him thirty minutes as the first (only big option).
The truth is he took himself out of games with quick fouls and blown assignments and because of that both Brimah and Facey were deprived of much needed bench time. Unfortunately for him he was a huge negative on last years team.
The fact KO was forced to sit him was detrimental .
If he is a terrific player in two years it will be because of himself and not his coach.
I would suspect that a senior Enoch would have learned to play. He was young and in better times he should have red shirted but we had no margin for error.
I said before, that national team ,and shooting threes is not how he will find a formula to make money. But a year of practice against decent bigs along with mental and physical growth can't hurt.

Reaction Score
I don't dislike the kid, and, as I've gotten older, I've become a great breaker-upper. Hey, it didn't work out? Well I'm sure not perfect, and I've made mistakes. I like you as a human being, and the fact that our relationship didn't work out does not mean that there has to be something wrong with either of us.

That's gold,right?

But with SE, I'll be straight here - the dude's problem was that he was never vested. And that's huge.

If he vests at Louisville, then he'll be a player. If not, it will be SE2.0, which will have many of the same annoying bugs as SE1.3, which is the version that left here.

Like I posted elsewhere - the first thing you have to do is carve out all of the flesh that's infected. Only then can you begin to heal.

I don't need us to be a top ten team, but DAMMIT, I need us to fight, every game, to the last whistle. Do that and I can't help but love you.

Reaction Score
Yup. Everyone often complained how awful Brimah was yet Enoch still didn't take any time from him.

Player evaluation*, recruiting, and coaching at the center position has been atrocious for the last 5 years. Every aspect of it.

*Not just physical, but mental as well. None of these guys were willing or able to put in the hard work and learn how to play basketball.

Reaction Score
You ever have a lady in the sack who's cute but nothing to write home about and moves the hips but nothing to write in your diary? That aptly describes mediocre sex that should ostensibly be better and Enoch. Good from far, far from good. As long as our season turns out more exciting - not even better, just less predictably awful - than last year and I'm golden ponyboy

pj

Reaction Score
He loves being big fish in the small pond, but can't stand being little fish in the big pond. But the big pond is where the money, fame, and success are. He has to decide what he wants.

He's got a year now for Rick Pitino to change his attitude. That should do him good. He'll know now it wasn't just an idiosyncracy of KO, but high level bball coaches in general. He'll know he has to make Louisville work.

I think it will be a win-win for both UConn and Enoch. Maybe for Louisville too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom