OT: - Enjoy the offseason with this little goody | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Enjoy the offseason with this little goody

Reaction Score
With this kind of logic Michael Jordan should've quit playing basketball in high school when he didn't make the varsity team. There's this thing called "improvement." Also check Mike Piazza's first couple years in the minors they were nothing flattering but he ended up becoming one of the greatest hitters of all time.
Okay, your rose colored glasses are getting a bit absurd. You're comparing a 15-yo Michael Jordan in high school vs Judge's 22-24 yo seasons in the upper minors. And btw, Piazza obliterated the ball in the upper minors. Don't get so defensive. I'm sorry the stats don't prove you out.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
As I grew up a Yankee fan and even bigger Mantle fan Judge brings back memories of the shots hit by the Mick
Although I never saw him hit a HR in person he hit the ball so hard up the middle it was scary. I did see him hit a triple off the left center field wall at the 467 mark. When vendors stop selling to watch an AB it's something special. I also saw the walk off the facade in right on TV
That just missed going out of the old stadium.I was at a friends house and I had a mile walk home . It was extra innings and getting late . I wanted to leave but my friend begged me to stay one more inning.
American League parks in the fifties we generally bigger.
Cleveland ,Detroit Chicago and of course NY especially.

These numbers seem ridiculous but...

Mickey Mantle: The American Dream Comes To Life® - The Story behind Mickey Mantle's 10 Longest Home Runs Run #1

Reaction Score
The kid is amazing and a joy to watch, nd I say that as a Sox fan.

We found something to agree on huh? In all reality still trying got figure out where he will be in the long run but at least he's proven he can adjust to pitching and cover the plate to all areas. He actually is even "guessing" better which all good hitters need to do on occasion. I mean is he a .300 plus hitter, not sure of that but .270/.280 as he continues to grow a hitter is more than achievable. Plus he's a GREAT kid, Jeter-like in character and he can throw some leather around as well as throw some frozen ropes. Love what we see, sustainability is a question but more and more becoming reality.

Reaction Score
We found something to agree on huh? In all reality still trying got figure out where he will be in the long run but at least he's proven he can adjust to pitching and cover the plate to all areas. He actually is even "guessing" better which all good hitters need to do on occasion. I mean is he a .300 plus hitter, not sure of that but .270/.280 as he continues to grow a hitter is more than achievable. Plus he's a GREAT kid, Jeter-like in character and he can throw some leather around as well as throw some frozen ropes. Love what we see, sustainability is a question but more and more becoming reality.

That's part of what is so impressive. The guy is huge and unlike most players with something resembling his power/size, he actually isn't a black hole in the field. Definitely an underrated part of his game.

Reaction Score
In the meantime get me the stats on all the 6'7 285 lb. guys who strike out 28% of the time, routinely hit the ball 120 mph, and can hit it 500 feet all while leading the triple crown.

His most impressive HR yesterday didn't go 495ft, it was the 2-2 pitch that he dove out to the outer side of the plate and drove to RC for a pea 7 rows deep. That was after he just missed a hanging slider and wad mad but guessed right on where the reliever was going and drove it to the opposite field. For those counting his ability to hit, he seems to be growing in that department every game. Just when he goes 1-9 in 2 games he comes back with 3-4 and 4-4 with walks in all the games. I get people doubting how long he can maintain hell I do, but there's a lot impressive little things going on at the plate for this kid. 60 games is not small sampling!

Reaction Score
His most impressive HR yesterday didn't go 495ft, it was the 2-2 pitch that he dove out to the outer side of the plate and drove to RC for a pea 7 rows deep. That was after he just missed a hanging slider and wad mad but guessed right on where the reliever was going and drove it to the opposite field. For those counting his ability to hit, he seems to be growing in that department every game. Just when he goes 1-9 in 2 games he comes back with 3-4 and 4-4 with walks in all the games. I get people doubting how long he can maintain hell I do, but there's a lot impressive little things going on at the plate for this kid. 60 games is not small sampling!
That's my point, he has already shown me enough to think he's not a .250-.270 hitter. His approach, adjustments, and ability to hit to all fields shows a guy who shouldn't suffer too many prolonged slumps and shouldn't be a .250-270 hitter.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I would highly bet against Judge being a consistent .300 hitter just with the strikeouts he's bound to have.

That being said, the batting average will pale in comparison to the on base and slugging numbers he's hopefully going to put up.

People tend to go nuts over analyzing batting averages when the difference between a .280 hitter and a .300 hitter over the course of a season is ~12 hits. Not that big of a deal.

I follow Yankee minor leagues pretty closely and after hearing about Sanchez for years and Judge to a lesser extent (college draftee) it's awesome to see them in the bigs showing their stuff.

They have about 3 OFs in the system right now at that project to be big leaguers and about 3 more INFs as well. The dept they've produced is a testament to the coaching and development of these players.

Reaction Score
Okay, your rose colored glasses are getting a bit absurd. You're comparing a 15-yo Michael Jordan in high school vs Judge's 22-24 yo seasons in the upper minors. And btw, Piazza obliterated the ball in the upper minors. Don't get so defensive. I'm sorry the stats don't prove you out.

You mean Judge's triple crown leading stats don't prove my point lol... if you're going to talk stats his current major league stats would carry the most weight... and you obviously weren't a baseball player or not a very good one because you would be able to compare Judge's stance and swing from last season to this season and be able to see he made adjustments...I just saw an interview with him where he stated he worked on his swing in the off-season to keep his bat in the hitting zone as long as possible...other reasons were already mentioned that you ignored like his plate discipline and ability to hit to all fields with unbelievable authority and power not to mention it doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell the kid has unworldly talent that hasn't been seen for decades maybe since the days of Mickey Mantle...all this because you're probably a lowly Red Sox fan who hates the Yankees which would make the most sense for your nonsensical argument...anything else upper minors stats guy?

Reaction Score
You mean Judge's triple crown leading stats don't prove my point lol... if you're going to talk stats his current major league stats would carry the most weight... and you obviously weren't a baseball player or not a very good one because you would be able to compare Judge's stance and swing from last season to this season and be able to see he made adjustments...I just saw an interview with him where he stated he worked on his swing in the off-season to keep his bat in the hitting zone as long as possible...other reasons were already mentioned that you ignored like his plate discipline and ability to hit to all fields with unbelievable authority and power not to mention it doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell the kid has unworldly talent that hasn't been seen for decades maybe since the days of Mickey Mantle...all this because you're probably a lowly Red Sox fan who hates the Yankees which would make the most sense for your nonsensical argument...anything else upper minors stats guy?
Dude..... please take a step back and realize that you're calling this guy the kind of talent that we haven't seen in decades and maybe since Mickey Mantle. Just think about that for a second. Do you think that maybe, just maybe there's some bias playing in here? Even if we normalize his BABIP down to .350 (top 15 in baseball last year, that's a .298 average. And even that is probably pretty generous, though I do think his exit velocity will likely help him maintain at least an above average BABIP. Oh and btw, I'm not even a fan of a team from the AL. I've also been following Judge since he was drafted and he's been a favorite prospect of mine since then. It's not about bitterness, it's about statistical realities.

Reaction Score
Dude..... please take a step back and realize that you're calling this guy the kind of talent that we haven't seen in decades and maybe since Mickey Mantle. Just think about that for a second. Do you think that maybe, just maybe there's some bias playing in here? Even if we normalize his BABIP down to .350 (top 15 in baseball last year, that's a .298 average. And even that is probably pretty generous, though I do think his exit velocity will likely help him maintain at least an above average BABIP. Oh and btw, I'm not even a fan of a team from the AL. I've also been following Judge since he was drafted and he's been a favorite prospect of mine since then. It's not about bitterness, it's about statistical realities.

I was extending my hand to you and giving you an out by saying you must be a Yankee hater (which I still think is the case) because you're argument is so weak and pathetic. You're using old minor league and meaningless stats saying Judge will hit .250-.270 because that's what he hit in the minors. He hits the ball harder and farther than any baseball player of the last quarter century and maybe half century this is including all the freaks from the steroid era like Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguez...maybe you've heard of them? Don't take my word for it Kenny Singleton said it the other day during the Yankee game. I'll take his word over yours when it comes to Judge's ability. It's clearly obvious that this guy has taken his game to whole new level and barring injury or a total inability to CONTINUE to make adjustments there's no way this guy is a .250-.270 hitter.

Reaction Score
I was extending my hand to you and giving you an out by saying you must be a Yankee hater (which I still think is the case) because you're argument is so weak and pathetic. You're using old minor league and meaningless stats saying Judge will hit .250-.270 because that's what he hit in the minors. He hits the ball harder and farther than any baseball player of the last quarter century and maybe half century this is including all the freaks from the steroid era like Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguez...maybe you've heard of them? Don't take my word for it Kenny Singleton said it the other day during the Yankee game. I'll take his word over yours when it comes to Judge's ability. It's clearly obvious that this guy has taken his game to whole new level and barring injury or a total inability to CONTINUE to make adjustments there's no way this guy is a .250-.270 hitter.
I'm assuming you're older but don't conflate stats you don't understand with "meaningless stats". There is massive historical significance to these stats, I've provided you comparables to show just how unlikely it is that he ends up with your belief, which essentially is that he'll be the best in baseball (by far) in history at sustaining BABIP and HR/FB. I get that you've never heard of them, but baseball has a lot of luck in it. It's the reason guys like Chris Johnson can have a season competing for a batting title and be bums the rest of the time. I've provided a comp like Stanton, who sure, doesn't hit the ball quite as hard (btw, Judge isn't even first in baseball right now in that stat), but has phenomenally similar peripherals and is a career .267/.357/.541 career hitter. In the end all your argument rests on is hyperbole, the amateur eye test, and a healthy dose of rose colored glasses. Somehow you've painted me as talking down about him when I believe he'll be one of the better all-around OFers in the game for quite some time. You just seem to think he's the second coming.

Reaction Score
I'm assuming you're older but don't conflate stats you don't understand with "meaningless stats". There is massive historical significance to these stats, I've provided you comparables to show just how unlikely it is that he ends up with your belief, which essentially is that he'll be the best in baseball (by far) in history at sustaining BABIP and HR/FB. I get that you've never heard of them, but baseball has a lot of luck in it. It's the reason guys like Chris Johnson can have a season competing for a batting title and be bums the rest of the time. I've provided a comp like Stanton, who sure, doesn't hit the ball quite as hard (btw, Judge isn't even first in baseball right now in that stat), but has phenomenally similar peripherals and is a career .267/.357/.541 career hitter. In the end all your argument rests on is hyperbole, the amateur eye test, and a healthy dose of rose colored glasses. Somehow you've painted me as talking down about him when I believe he'll be one of the better all-around OFers in the game for quite some time. You just seem to think he's the second coming.

Dude stick to anything else other than baseball analytics because you're clueless and that's putting it nicely.

Reaction Score
Dude stick to anything else other than baseball analytics because you're clueless and that's putting it nicely.
Please if you're going to attack me, at least come up with some argument beyond 'he hits the ball really hard and look at his average'. Something, give me anything. You keep talking Mantle so tell me how Mantle also had a sustained an extraordinarily high BABIP throughout his career, and thus, Judge could also do that (I'll help you out, Mantle had a pretty normal BABIP). Just give me something other than curmudgeonly grumblings you'd expect from an old-school color commentator that's been passed by the times.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I thought Benintendi was a shoe-in for ROY at the beginning of the season but this kid is running away with it...does he qualify? I know he played almost two months last year

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The good thing is the Yanks are developing a lot as we speak he's not it. It's an exciting time in the Bronx, this may not continue this year but with the Judge's, the Sanchez's, the Frazier's, the Torres's, the Adam's, the Severino's, the crop of pitchers who throw in the 100's down below for now, it seems a guy who I bashed named Cashman has put us in much better position to compete for a long time without losing many years in between winning. Not to mention the Didi's, Hicks and Castro who are all around 26-27 and he hasn't spent crap to get in this position. The next couple of years will be added talent from the FA market. Looking good, but I won't get all that crazy about this run for now, but I admit 60 games in is a pretty good test.

What Cash did at the TD last year was masterful. Absolutely masterful.

I'm baffled at how Judge got so good seemingly overnight.

Last year he was struggling in AAA and striking out over 40% of the time in the bigs.

Now he's the leading candidate for MVP 40% of the way through the season.

the Q

Reaction Score

Sure we have. His name is Mike Trout.

And maybe Bryce Harper.

the Q

Reaction Score

Yes. This.

Judge hits the ball harder than literally anyone in baseball.

he's going to be a fascinating case study about exit velocity for years to come. Especially for things like BABIP.

Reaction Score
I thought Benintendi was a shoe-in for ROY at the beginning of the season but this kid is running away with it...does he qualify? I know he played almost two months last year
Yep, he's eligible. There are very few scenarios in which I could see him overwhelmingly winning the award with the year he's had.

Reaction Score
What Cash did at the TD last year was masterful. Absolutely masterful.

I'm baffled at how Judge got so good seemingly overnight.

Last year he was struggling in AAA and striking out over 40% of the time in the bigs.

Now he's the leading candidate for MVP 40% of the way through the season.

While prospects like Torres look very promising there's very little if anything Cashman did at the trade deadline last year that has shown merit in the major leagues yet so I'm not sure how you could rate what he did as masterful. I will give him credit for Hicks and Holliday though but when you're GM of the NYY and have unlimited money and resources it's not hard to get good players. I'm a big Yankee fan just not a Cashman fan.

Judge hits the ball harder and farther then both Harper and Trout so no we haven't seen his kind of talent in decades. Again don't take my word for it throw on ESPN and YES and you'll hear it out of the mouths of hall of famers and former major league greats.

Reaction Score
Yes. This.

Judge hits the ball harder than literally anyone in baseball.

he's going to be a fascinating case study about exit velocity for years to come. Especially for things like BABIP.
Agreed, the actual tracking of data will make for some interesting analyses. With the limited statistical analyses, it's hard to really prove causation. You have guys like Stanton who are slightly above average, Sano who is generally quite good, but then plenty of very average guys (i.e. Machado and Nelson Cruz). The tough part now is that you have more observational guys without the stat tracking like the aforementioned Mantle or Adam Dunn, who aren't exactly what you'd expect given how hard people remember them hitting the ball. Given another 5-10 years, I think we're going to see some very interesting statistical analyses using that data though.

Reaction Score
It was just a matter of time. A mountain of a man with that much strength just needed to get his timing down at the ML level and the moon shots would fly out like popcorn. Is Frank Howard dead? Because that's his reincarnation.

Feels wrong to actually like the guy as a Sox fan. Hopefully that changes
You mean the Sox fan thing? Yeah, I hope so too...

Reaction Score
While prospects like Torres look very promising there's very little if anything Cashman did at the trade deadline last year that has shown merit in the major leagues yet so I'm not sure how you could rate what he did as masterful. I will give him credit for Hicks and Holliday though but when you're GM of the NYY and have unlimited money and resources it's not hard to get good players. I'm a big Yankee fan just not a Cashman fan.

Judge hits the ball harder and farther then both Harper and Trout so no we haven't seen his kind of talent in decades. Again don't take my word for it throw on ESPN and YES and you'll hear it out of the mouths of hall of famers and former major league greats.
A few years ago I had the same opinion as you regarding Cashman but what the front office has done in getting younger and transforming their minor league system is worthy of praise. Pitching is still a question mark though

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom