OT: - Enjoy the offseason with this little goody | The Boneyard

OT: Enjoy the offseason with this little goody

Reaction Score
Just unreal what he's doing. Not just the HR's either, the .342 average and continuous improvement in his AB's. Starting to figure out when to lay off the slow stuff and also when to crowd the plate and hit it to RF - his power to right is also incredible. And now Sanchez? A healthy Bird is the word.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Just unreal what he's doing. Not just the HR's either, the .342 average and continuous improvement in his AB's. Starting to figure out when to lay off the slow stuff and also when to crowd the plate and hit it to RF - his power to right is also incredible. And now Sanchez? A healthy Bird is the word.

Good for him, good for the stinking Yankees on developing him. Obviously he won't continue this level of ridiculousness as pitchers will catch up, but he can certainly be a .290-.300 hitter with a .900+ OPS for awhile.

Hope he stays healthy, unlike Stanton, whom he obviously comps with.

I can't stand the farce that is the HR Derby, but if it was just Judge and Stanton and they gave points for distance, I'd tune into that.

Reaction Score
Good for him, good for the stinking Yankees on developing him. Obviously he won't continue this level of ridiculousness as pitchers will catch up, but he can certainly be a .290-.300 hitter with a .900+ OPS for awhile.

Hope he stays healthy, unlike Stanton, whom he obviously comps with.

I can't stand the farce that is the HR Derby, but if it was just Judge and Stanton and they gave points for distance, I'd tune into that.

The good thing is the Yanks are developing a lot as we speak he's not it. It's an exciting time in the Bronx, this may not continue this year but with the Judge's, the Sanchez's, the Frazier's, the Torres's, the Adam's, the Severino's, the crop of pitchers who throw in the 100's down below for now, it seems a guy who I bashed named Cashman has put us in much better position to compete for a long time without losing many years in between winning. Not to mention the Didi's, Hicks and Castro who are all around 26-27 and he hasn't spent crap to get in this position. The next couple of years will be added talent from the FA market. Looking good, but I won't get all that crazy about this run for now, but I admit 60 games in is a pretty good test.

Reaction Score
He hits the ball harder than anyone I have ever seen... Never seen a ball go up there in YS and the homerun he hit last night in some ways was even more impressive. There's no way he's a 320+ hitter, but good lord he is a legit five tool player who stands 6-7 280. Judge and Sanchez have hit some of the longest home runs in Yankee memory and they aren't even close to being in their prime. It's going to be a lot of fun for the next 10 years.

Reaction Score
As to hitting them far, it's hard to ignore Mantle in his prime. As to hitting them hard, it's difficult to ignore Allen almost his whole career.

Reaction Score
Longest homer since ESPN has been tracking them, the 6th fastest homers since they've been tracking them. Guy is like a fictional character at this point, a 5 tool beast doing amazing things on a near nightly basis.

Reaction Score
As I grew up a Yankee fan and even bigger Mantle fan Judge brings back memories of the shots hit by the Mick
Although I never saw him hit a HR in person he hit the ball so hard up the middle it was scary. I did see him hit a triple off the left center field wall at the 467 mark. When vendors stop selling to watch an AB it's something special. I also saw the walk off the facade in right on TV
That just missed going out of the old stadium.I was at a friends house and I had a mile walk home . It was extra innings and getting late . I wanted to leave but my friend begged me to stay one more inning.
American League parks in the fifties we generally bigger.
Cleveland ,Detroit Chicago and of course NY especially.

Reaction Score

The kid is amazing and a joy to watch, nd I say that as a Sox fan.

Reaction Score
He hits the ball harder than anyone I have ever seen... Never seen a ball go up there in YS and the homerun he hit last night in some ways was even more impressive. There's no way he's a 320+ hitter, but good lord he is a legit five tool player who stands 6-7 280. Judge and Sanchez have hit some of the longest home runs in Yankee memory and they aren't even close to being in their prime. It's going to be a lot of fun for the next 10 years.

Wouldn't say he's not a .320+ hitter just yet he has outstanding plate discipline and hits to all fields with unbelievable power...I was at a game in April when he hit one over the right field bullpen you don't even see lefties doing that...major-league scouts and pitchers are going to try to find his weaknesses and pitch to them right now he has no holes in his swing but he's going to have to make adjustments as the pitchers adjust which I think he will

What's crazy about the Yankees it seems every two decades or so an unbelievable homegrown talent emerges and Judge might be the most talented of them all he's the next Yankee captain for sure

Reaction Score
I saw The Mick hit one out in person back in the early 60's when I was at the stadium with my cub scout pack. I guess tickets were affordable back then. I remember jumping up and screaming so loud that I blacked out for a second. That guy was my hero. Now I'm following in his footsteps, ya know, with the alcohol thingy.:eek:

Reaction Score
Wouldn't say he's not a .320+ hitter just yet he has outstanding plate discipline and hits to all fields with unbelievable power...I was at a game in April when he hit one over the right field bullpen you don't even see lefties doing that...major-league scouts and pitchers are going to try to find his weaknesses and pitch to them right now he has no holes in his swing but he's going to have to make adjustments as the pitchers adjust which I think he will

What's crazy about the Yankees it seems every two decades or so an unbelievable homegrown talent emerges and Judge might be the most talented of them all he's the next Yankee captain for sure
I'll say it. The dude will be an offensive force for quite a while but he's not a .320+ hitter. I would be downright shocked if he's a consistent .280+ hitter, but he doesn't need to with his ability to get on base and power. Still, he hasn't hit above .284 since A-ball and he's rocking a .432 BABIP and a 40.5% HR/FB rate right now. No one should take this as me bashing the guy but neither of those numbers are remotely sustainable even ignoring his minor league numbers. He'll be pretty damn good, he won't be this good though.

Reaction Score
It was just a matter of time. A mountain of a man with that much strength just needed to get his timing down at the ML level and the moon shots would fly out like popcorn. Is Frank Howard dead? Because that's his reincarnation.

Feels wrong to actually like the guy as a Sox fan. Hopefully that changes

Reaction Score
I'll say it. The dude will be an offensive force for quite a while but he's not a .320+ hitter. I would be downright shocked if he's a consistent .280+ hitter, but he doesn't need to with his ability to get on base and power. Still, he hasn't hit above .284 since A-ball and he's rocking a .432 BABIP and a 40.5% HR/FB rate right now. No one should take this as me bashing the guy but neither of those numbers are remotely sustainable even ignoring his minor league numbers. He'll be pretty damn good, he won't be this good though.
You would be shocked if he's a .280 + hitter? Guys with his plate discipline, ability to hit to all fields, and bat speed tend not to go into prolonged slumps.

Reaction Score

Is he a 320+ hitter for his career...no. Does he hit 320+ a few times in his career...maybe so.

Reaction Score
You would be shocked if he's a .280 + hitter? Guys with his plate discipline, ability to hit to all fields, and bat speed tend not to go into prolonged slumps.

He's striking out 28% of the time, which is pretty in line with expectations based on his minor league track record. You want to know how many qualified hitters last season out of the 16 with K rates above 25% batted .280? One and that was on the back of a .373 BABIP. The next highest average was .256. If you change it to qualified hitters over the past three seasons to remove more of the luck aspect, there are 31 qualified hitters and 2 hit above .280 (JD Martinez and Kris Bryant, both with very high BABIPs). Is it possible that Judge became a guy that can sustain very high BABIPs in the major? It's possible. Is it likely? Absolutely not. Again, not a knock on him, but the expectations should be tempered a bit. He's still one hell of a hitter even at .250-.270 consistently

Reaction Score
Is he a 320+ hitter for his career...no. Does he hit 320+ a few times in his career...maybe so.
That doesn't make him a .320 hitter. That makes him a guy who hits .320 a couple of times and at that point, you're really just relying on batted ball luck. That would make Chris Johnson a .320 hitter.

Reaction Score
That doesn't make him a .320 hitter. That makes him a guy who hits .320 a couple of times and at that point, you're really just relying on batted ball luck. That would make Chris Johnson a .320 hitter.
Obviously he's not a .320 hitter for his career. The only guys to do that in modern times is Gwynn and Boggs, he's also obviously not a .250-.270 hitter.

Reaction Score
Obviously he's not a .320 hitter for his career. The only guys to do that in modern times is Gwynn and Boggs, he's also obviously not a .250-.270 hitter.
What reasoning do you have for this? His two years in the upper minors he hit .255 and then .270. Don't get me wrong, I'm not even a Yankees fan and I've been a huge fan of his and followed him since he was drafted. But the idea that he's obviously not a .250-.270 hitter is rooted only in bias and not in facts.

Reaction Score
What reasoning do you have for this? His two years in the upper minors he hit .255 and then .270. Don't get me wrong, I'm not even a Yankees fan and I've been a huge fan of his and followed him since he was drafted. But the idea that he's obviously not a .250-.270 hitter is rooted only in bias and not in facts.
I don't care what a player does in the minors, clearly he's a much different player than he was then and against that competition. Your first mistake is comparing Judge to other hitters, he hits the ball harder and further than any player in the majors, his opposite field line drives leave the yard. I've watched enough of him this year to know he's not going to bat .250-.270 this season.

Reaction Score
I don't care what a player does in the minors, clearly he's a much different player than he was then and against that competition. Your first mistake is comparing Judge to other hitters, he hits the ball harder and further than any player in the majors, his opposite field line drives leave the yard. I've watched enough of him this year to know he's not going to bat .250-.270 this season.

Wow you just moved those goal posts about as far as they can go. Now it's that he's not going to be a .250-.270 hitter this season.... Got it. I'll end it this way because there's obviously just bias here and no understanding of stats, I envy you Yankees fans getting to watch him on your team for quite a while. Regardless of outcome, he will be very fun to watch and one heck of a hitter.

Reaction Score
Wow you just moved those goal posts about as far as they can go. Now it's that he's not going to be a .250-.270 hitter this season.... Got it. I'll end it this way because there's obviously just bias here and no understanding of stats, I envy you Yankees fans getting to watch him on your team for quite a while. Regardless of outcome, he will be very fun to watch and one heck of a hitter.
I'm going off of what you said. You think he'll be a consistent .250-.270 hitter and I don't.

Reaction Score
I'm going off of what you said. You think he'll be a consistent .250-.270 hitter and I don't.
By definition... consistent .250-.270 means not one little blip. That's what consistent means.

Reaction Score

With this kind of logic Michael Jordan should've quit playing basketball in high school when he didn't make the varsity team. There's this thing called "improvement." Also check Mike Piazza's first couple years in the minors they were nothing flattering but he ended up becoming one of the greatest hitters of all time.

Reaction Score
In the meantime get me the stats on all the 6'7 285 lb. guys who strike out 28% of the time, routinely hit the ball 120 mph, and can hit it 500 feet all while leading the triple crown.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom