elsewhere around the AAC... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

elsewhere around the AAC...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The bottom of the league is awful.

Houston, ECU and Temple may be decent to good.

But the top half of this conference is going to be an absolute dogfight.

Tulsa & Memphis look better than anticipated. UConn, Cincy and SMU are going to battle.

Memphis fought Oklahoma hard but just blew the last minute.

Tulsa just beat Wichita St.

This conference has a strong top 5.

Reaction Score
Dedric Lawson might be our Daniel Hamilton at Memphis. Kid is just a freshman and put up 25 and 13 against Oklahoma. This Memphis teams plays tough this year and that is step 1 into winning back some of the Memphians

Reaction Score
Dedric Lawson might be our Daniel Hamilton at Memphis. Kid is just a freshman and put up 25 and 13 against Oklahoma. This Memphis teams plays tough this year and that is step 1 into winning back some of the Memphians

You better watch out or Pastner may be signed to a new contract.

Reaction Score
You better watch out or Pastner may be signed to a new contract.
Naw Pastner is going to TCU if he has a great year. Damon is going to be our new coach. Guard play is night and day since Damon came back.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Naw Pastner is going to TCU if he has a great year. Damon is going to be our new coach. Guard play is night and day since Damon came back.
Was impressed with D Law and Memphis overall but you guys still haven't learned how to close a game and thats on Pastner. Should have closed the deal tonight.

Reaction Score
Was impressed with D Law and Memphis overall but you guys still haven't learned how to close a game and thats on Pastner. Should have closed the deal tonight.
I am not a Pastner fan but he had zero to do with us losing in the last minute. Players shoot free throws and they missed tonight. Wish it was Tarrant shooting FTs instead of our bigs at the end. The freshmen played above expectations in a game against a number 8 team. Plus asking a bunch of freshmen to be game closer in game 2 of their careers is unrealistic unless you are Kentucky or Duke.

Either way this team is very fun to watch and will surprise people and would not be surprised if we beat Ohio State in a few weeks

caw

Reaction Score
Even with Memphis losing, it was a very good day for the league. Memphis played a top ten team to the wire, Tulsa beat a top ten team and UConn blew out its opponent. Looks like there will be at least 5 decent teams this year.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Cincy absolutely smoked Bowling Green on the road. That's actually a really nice win - Bowling Green's better than New Hampshire and playing away in a bandbox gym is never easy.

What's scary about Cincy right now is that they're making shots. Cobb, Caupain, the two new kids (Evans & Jenifer), and even Shaq Thomas are hitting 3s. They're averaging over 90 ppg, scoring at all three levels and are still protecting the hell out of the paint. Plus they're a legit 10 deep.

I know it's still early, but I think they're as good as any team I've seen this year.

Reaction Score
It's likely I'm the only one who's big enough a degenerate to be watching this, but SMU is putting on a ball movement clinic @ Stanford right now. It seems like all their field goals are assisted.

Stanford is pretty bad, but I'm not sure there's a tougher, better-drilled team right now than SMU.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
It's likely I'm the only one who's big enough a degenerate to be watching this, but SMU is putting on a ball movement clinic @ Stanford right now. It seems like all their field goals are assisted.

Stanford is pretty bad, but I'm not sure there's a tougher, better-drilled team right now than SMU.
At least two of us.

caw

Reaction Score

SMU is going to win a lot this year. Shame their situation, while UNC and UL remain eligible.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
SMU is going to win a lot this year.
They will. Here's a few things I noticed:
  • Their high-low game is a throwback, and remains potent. It often feels like big-to-big passing is a lost art, but this team shows it's not
  • They don't protect the rim, they protect the paint. They absolutely sell out to prevent up-the-gut penetration of the sort we've thrived on in the first two games. Spin moves in the lane will = personal fouls or turnovers for us
  • They thrive off of turnovers, with Moore putting out excellent ball pressure and their wings over-playing the lanes. This leaves gaps for a backdoor cut, but Kennedy reads those very quickly and is really good at shutting it down. Whoever cuts has to be ready to make the next pass, because they probably won't be able to get all the way to the hoop
  • They use a ton of the clock. A running game does not suit them
  • They are an "all 5 in" defensive rebounding team (like our most recent title team), which limits run-outs
  • They do a good job on the offensive glass because they're such a good passing team - it seems like every time they missed a jumper, it was because they had two or three Stanford guys scrambling to close out the shooter. That, of course, leaves the weak side open
  • Kennedy establishes DEEP post position. That repeatedly broke Stanford's defensive scheme
  • They have no bigs beyond Kennedy. Get him in foul trouble and a lot of things can go wrong for this team.
Gonna be a good few games against them. I think that if we don't turn it over, we will handle them. That will require further growth from DHam and more chemistry from all concerned. It will also require Amida, Phil & Enoch to beat Kennedy to his spot and have the strength to hold him off.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Thanks to whoever deleted my "warning: it's ugly" from the title. It was relevant the night I posted it, but this seems to have turned into the de facto thread to talk about the AAC so it's best not to have that there anymore.

Reaction Score
Thanks to whoever deleted my "warning: it's ugly" from the title. It was relevant the night I posted it, but this seems to have turned into the de facto thread to talk about the AAC so it's best not to have that there anymore.
Yeah, that was my thinking so I removed it - it's not so bad anymore lol

Reaction Score
Temple off to a strong start against a hot Butler team.

Tulsa spotted Ohio 15 in the first 10 minutes - they better come back

Reaction Score
Schedule wise, I'm actually glad that our first game against SMU isn't until mid February. Realistically I think UConn could beat every team on our schedule (including the Battle4Atlantis), but SMU has been the proverbial thorn in our side the past couple of year (besides road games at Houston for some reason).

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Temple off to a strong start against a hot Butler team.

Tulsa spotted Ohio 15 in the first 10 minutes - they better come back
Tulsa up 5 final minute. Came back from down 5 under 5 to go.

Reaction Score
This is some high level jackassery from Ohio U's head coach after Tulsa beat them

Guy backpedaled real quick after that one. I am going to go out on a limb and say Ohio isn't winning championships anytime in the near future...

caw

Reaction Score
This is some high level jackassery from Ohio U's head coach after Tulsa beat them

What the heck was he thinking, who says that about another college team.

Reaction Score
Temple just lost a heart-breaker to Utah. This is the sequence in the final minute or so:

- Taylor from Utah hits a really tough shot from the corner with the shot clock expiring (had he missed, Temple could have taken the last shot of regulation).

- Dingle misses two free throws that would have tied it.

- Temple, inexplicably, doesn't foul and then commits a flagrant on Poeltl when he gets lost behind the defense

Damn. Those are the ones that can be the difference between dancing and the NIT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom