elsewhere around the AAC... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

elsewhere around the AAC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We scored 97 points last night. I don't care who it was against, WE SCORED 97 POINTS. UConn and Cincinnati are going to battle for the title all season long. Should be another two (probably 3) classic games.

What does Cincy look like this year? If you've already done a synopsis somewhere, point me to it.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
What does Cincy look like this year? If you've already done a synopsis somewhere, point me to it.
We're going to be top 20 good. Best offensive team we've had under Cronin. Going to try to play much faster this season. Through 2 exhibitions and 1 regular season game we are averaging in the 90's. Haven't seen us play this well on offense (even against dregs) in 10-12 years.

Reaction Score
This team will not lose to SMU - Cincy is always a defensive battle and could be hit/miss
I am not saying UConn will be undefeated but any more than 2-4 losses will amaze me
They will have 1 WTF loss in conference and could stub its toe against a solid OOC team.
So if we head into the NCAA tournament 28-5 you will be amazed?? Lots of good hype in this thread but some people absolutely need to pump the breaks.

Reaction Score
We scored 97 points last night. I don't care who it was against, WE SCORED 97 POINTS. UConn and Cincinnati are going to battle for the title all season long. Should be another two (probably 3) classic games.

I know what you are saying. You're not as good as us.

I like your 5. Not too much gap between us. But there's no way you have the offensive flow nor the depth when UConn is playing their Best. And that's why we have a chance to go well into March & The Bearcats aren't quite there. I think both will be better than SMU & a whole big gap to most of the rest of AAC.

Reaction Score
I know what you are saying. You're not as good as us.

I like your 5. Not too much gap between us. But there's no way you have the offensive flow nor the depth when UConn is playing their Best. And that's why we have a chance to go well into March & The Bearcats aren't quite there. I think both will be better than SMU & a whole big gap to most of the rest of AAC.
Both Cincy and us should be sweet sixteen teams with SUBSTANTIAL upside.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Cincy looks like a better version of last year's group. They return 8 of their top 9, including Caupain & Ellis - two guys who are All-AAC caliber.

They will be one of the nation's best rebounding teams, and will protect the rim at an elite level thanks to Ellis & Clarke. They'll draw a ton of fouls, and they are deep up front and in the back court (not so much on the wing). Three-point shooting is a concern, but they do make their free throws.

I think they're legitimate national title contenders, and wouldn't be at all shocked if they swept us this year. They're really, really good.

Reaction Score
USF lost to Troy
Tulane lost to Alabama A&M
Temple got killed by UNC (expected of course)

East Carolina squeaked by Grambling
Cincy beat up West Carolina

The bottom half of the AAC is going to decimate UConn's RPI. Not that we didn't all know that anyway... Ugh.

We are DOOOOOOOoooooooooomed!!!!!!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The conference will always be a problem - not even worth worrying about anymore.

The only programs I think you will be able to count on yearly going forward are UConn and Cincy.

The rest is an unappealing muddle of muck. Hopefully, some of them will be passable at one time or another.

Reaction Score
Memphis will surprise folks by conference play. Tough test against Oklahoma Tuesday though.

Reaction Score
We played one team that was not so much untalented as young.
Less talented teams with experience are dangerous early in the season.
Young teams not so much.
That team was unable to dictate pace at all.
Since we really didn't shoot that well especially from the Three
(Forget % when ,it was inflated by the easy back doors and fast break points)
A more talented team will try and get us to slow down, how well we respond in a half court will determine our success.
We passed well, and shared well,but I want to see what we do when someone packs the defense,and makes an effort to take away the fast break,by playing a shoot and get back strategy.
Basketball is not as simple as it looked against Maine.
Play the games one at a time .

Reaction Score
Cincy's offense sucked last year, but all of the returning players should improve, and Jacob Evans should help. I think they're definitely good enough to be a second-weekend team.

Reaction Score
Big games for Memphis (#8 Oklahoma) and Tulsa (#10 Witchia State) tomorrow night. Both are at home. These are the types of games the league needs to win early in the season to get recognized.

kobe

Reaction Score
Cincy's offense sucked last year, but all of the returning players should improve, and Jacob Evans should help. I think they're definitely good enough to be a second-weekend team.
Averaging 101.5 points through 2 games. Last year we only scored 80+ two times. Right now KenPom has us at #11. If we can maintain a top 50 offense, I agree that we are a Sweet 16 team. Without a standout sure fire NBA guy it is tough to get past there.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Averaging 101.5 points through 2 games. Last year we only scored 80+ two times. Right now KenPom has us at #11. If we can maintain a top 50 offense, I agree that we are a Sweet 16 team. Without a standout sure fire NBA guy it is tough to get past there.
By February we'll all be talking about Caupain as a first-round draft pick.

Reaction Score
By February we'll all be talking about Caupain as a first-round draft pick.
I don't see it at all, very solid player all around but I don't see much of a high ceiling there.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
I don't see it at all, very solid player all around but I don't see much of a high ceiling there.
He's a 19-year-old junior, 6-foot-4 with a 6-foot-7 wingspan who gets to the line a ton, makes his foul shots and hit 41% from beyond the arc last year. His box +/- of 5.2 was excellent, and all the defensive metrics love him.

The one worry is his turnovers, but that's more a worry for Cincy than for NBA scouts since young PGs with a high turnover rate actually tend to translate well to the league as they mature -- provided they have the requisite physical characteristics, which Caupain does.

Look, I hate the kid. He's a punk. But he's absolutely going to be in the league, and given the way he's passed up his own offense in order to facilitate for the guys around him in the first two games of the season, my guess is he's starting to really put it together as a true point guard.

Reaction Score
He's a 19-year-old junior, 6-foot-4 with a 6-foot-7 wingspan who gets to the line a ton, makes his foul shots and hit 41% from beyond the arc last year. His box +/- of 5.2 was excellent, and all the defensive metrics love him.

The one worry is his turnovers, but that's more a worry for Cincy than for NBA scouts since young PGs with a high turnover rate actually tend to translate well to the league as they mature -- provided they have the requisite physical characteristics, which Caupain does.

Look, I hate the kid. He's a punk. But he's absolutely going to be in the league, and given the way he's passed up his own offense in order to facilitate for the guys around him in the first two games of the season, my guess is he's starting to really put it together as a true point guard.
He isn't a good shooter nor is he a good athlete. Not saying players like that haven't made the league, but i would be extremely shocked if people are talking about him as a first round pick

Matrim55

Reaction Score
He isn't a good shooter nor is he a good athlete.
Shot 41% from 3, 80% from the line and had a 56% true shooting percentage as an 18/19-year-old in a tough league.

He's really freaking good.

kobe

Reaction Score

He's kind of the opposite of a punk. His problem is he isn't assertive enough on the floor and is too content passing up the ball especially with the shot clock winding down. That was his glaring weakness last year. He's got the talent and this year has more help.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He's kind of the opposite of a punk. His problem is he isn't assertive enough on the floor and is too content passing up the ball especially with the shot clock winding down. That was his glaring weakness last year. He's got the talent and this year has more help.

"Punk" is in reference to his attitude and cockiness on the court as observed by our fans.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Caupain can ball, but I would love to see him get hit with a water balloon full of cat pee. He's a punk because he's the kind of player who tries to provoke opponents and then cries like a bitch to the ref when it works.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Yeah, Caupain can ball, but I would love to see him get hit with a water balloon full of cat pee. He's a punk because he's the kind of player who tries to provoke opponents and then cries like a bitch to the ref when it works.
I'm so glad you wrote this, how do you get your cat pee into the balloon? I haven't found an elegant solution yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom