Elite Premium Portal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I overfit the portal to figure out the theme:

uconntransfer.png

There were no filters out of the 50 options on the site I could apply to remove Marcus Domask. So we should probably just go ahead and offer him.
200w.gif

Reaction Score
I’ll be surprised if Ed Cooley can make Georgetown into a good team next year with good meaning top half of the league.

I know that Cooley is a very good coach, but this is a very good league and Georgetown is a dumpster fire. Cooley also has major problems in his personal life which may detract from him getting the best out of himself.

The notion that a good coach can just step into a failing program, wave a magic wand, and make it “competitive” again is what seems nuts to me. I’d by competitive, you simply mean that the scores will be closer and they’ll win 5 games in conference rather than 2, then we mean 2 different things by competitive. Heck, by that standard they already were a competitive program. Patrick had them winning the BE tournament just 2 years ago. There’s a lot that goes into building a consistently competitive program and it takes more than 1 year - even with the portal.
Obviously a LOT depends on the portal in terms of how competitive Cooley makes them in the first year, but if he gets a few guys then I wouldn't be shocked if they finished 6th above DePaul, Butler, SH, Nova, and PC. I don't think there's any chance he finishes above any of the big 5 though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
FWIW, one of our targets, Timberlake, met with Pitino and Masiello yesterday:

Chris Ledlum would have to be a complete idiot to take the bait from Pitino and his failure of a sidekick, Masiello. First of all, he’s invested 3 years of his life at Harvard, meaning he’s 1 year away from a Harvard degree. He’s going to trade that in for a third- rate St. John’s degree? I hope he has a parent around to tell him what a difference that will make in his life. Second, this kid doesn’t have NBA anywhere in his future. He’s 6’6” and is a 29% 3-point shooter and a 64% FT shooter. AND his talent wasn’t enough to lead Harvard to any more than a .500 team this year against inferior Ivy League opposition.

Let’s start the conversation about Timberlake with the fact that 247 Sports has him listed as a 100% lock for North Carolina. Pitino is coming into the process at the 11th hour to try to change his mind from UNC to a rebuilding St. John’s. ThIs will be Timberlake’s 6th year in college. He only has 1 year left. He wants to go somewhere that can win now, not to be part of a rebuilding project, which may not pay off for another 2-3 years. Compare that with North Carolina, which is a year off a Final Four, has it’s too 3 scorers returning, and is loaded with top talent. Timberlake is a good player who could be a difference maker, but there is no reason for him to throw away his final year of eligibility on this reclamation project.

Reaction Score
Chris Ledlum would have to be a complete idiot to take the bait from Pitino and his failure of a sidekick, Masiello. First of all, he’s invested 3 years of his life at Harvard, meaning he’s 1 year away from a Harvard degree. He’s going to trade that in for a third- rate St. John’s degree? I hope he has a parent around to tell him what a difference that will make in his life. Second, this kid doesn’t have NBA anywhere in his future. He’s 6’6” and is a 29% 3-point shooter and a 64% FT shooter. AND his talent wasn’t enough to lead Harvard to any more than a .500 team this year against inferior Ivy League opposition.
He's graduated from Harvard, chill.

Ivy players aren't allowed to take grad years and play sports so that's why so many seniors in the Ivy hit the portal as in its their only opportunity to continue playing basketball as they enter grad school.

Reaction Score

Ivy players aren't allowed to take grad years and play sports so that's why so many seniors in the Ivy hit the portal as in its their only opportunity to continue playing basketball as they enter grad school.

Thanks and yes, I know about Ivy grad students, but when I saw that he had only played 3 years at Harvard, I assumed that he was only a junior. Do you know why he missed his sophomore year? Injury?

There appears to be a long list of schools after him. Seeing that he was an academic All American, I would assume that the right match of grad school program is going to be important to him, in which case St. John’s is going to have a lot of competition.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I’ll be surprised if Ed Cooley can make Georgetown into a good team next year with good meaning top half of the league.

I know that Cooley is a very good coach, but this is a very good league and Georgetown is a dumpster fire. Cooley also has major problems in his personal life which may detract from him getting the best out of himself.

The notion that a good coach can just step into a failing program, wave a magic wand, and make it “competitive” again is what seems nuts to me. I’d by competitive, you simply mean that the scores will be closer and they’ll win 5 games in conference rather than 2, then we mean 2 different things by competitive. Heck, by that standard they already were a competitive program. Patrick had them winning the BE tournament just 2 years ago. There’s a lot that goes into building a consistently competitive program and it takes more than 1 year - even with the portal.
What's your son-in-law's take on all of this?

Is he following and writing about UConn on a PC message boards as fully as you do here about PC?

Seems like a good time to ask on these matters and anything else since the BET, seeding, and the first weekend (OK, second day) of the NCAA Tournament, up to the present.

Reaction Score

Yeah he's got 2 years of eligibility because he missed 2021, not because he's a junior.

Reaction Score
Clever of Pitino, using Hurley's recruiting strategy.

...is there... any other strategy to play? SJU is like playing a game of Holdem and you get K4 offsuit. If you choose to bluff and play you aren't banking on the 4 of diamonds getting you there. You are playing the cowboy.

FWIW I think inside of 3 years SJBB will be a problem. Good and Bad sides of that coin for us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Let’s start the conversation about Timberlake with the fact that 247 Sports has him listed as a 100% lock for North Carolina. Pitino is coming into the process at the 11th hour to try to change his mind from UNC to a rebuilding St. John’s. ThIs will be Timberlake’s 6th year in college. He only has 1 year left. He wants to go somewhere that can win now, not to be part of a rebuilding project, which may not pay off for another 2-3 years. Compare that with North Carolina, which is a year off a Final Four, has it’s too 3 scorers returning, and is loaded with top talent. Timberlake is a good player who could be a difference maker, but there is no reason for him to throw away his final year of eligibility on this reclamation project.
Hilarious post. Ledlum is a grad transfer and all this talk about a 2-3 year rebuilding project for Pitino is comical. If it's strictly a basketball decision anyone choosing Hubert Davis over Rick Pitino is nuts.

Reaction Score
...is there... any other strategy to play? SJU is like playing a game of Holdem and you get K4 offsuit. If you choose to bluff and play you aren't banking on the 4 of diamonds getting you there. You are playing the cowboy.

FWIW I think inside of 3 years SJBB will be a problem. Good and Bad sides of that coin for us.
That's if Slick Rick can stay clean for 3 years......my money is on NFW

Reaction Score
CFirst of all, he’s invested 3 years of his life at Harvard, meaning he’s 1 year away from a Harvard degree. He’s going to trade that in for a third- rate St. John’s degree?

He can't play any more at Harvard because he just graduated, dinglehopper. Your posts make me shiver and cringe every time I read them.

BTW, you never responded to my request for a bet on whether we contact Curbelo. Not so confident anymore?

Reaction Score
Seeing that he was an academic All American, I would assume that the right match of grad school program is going to be important to him, in which case St. John’s is going to have a lot of competition.

He’s chasing a pro basketball career. I would bet he doesn’t give two ishts what sort of graduate program he is nominally enrolled in next season. This place is so weird sometimes.

Reaction Score

Davis couldn’t hold Pitino’s jock.

Last edited by a moderator:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

You underestimate Pitino as a recruiter and a talker. I heard that Ledlum already has his undergrad degree at Harvard. Wants to just play hoops for a year and then continue his post grad education?
UNC is turning into a small but growing dumpster fire. Players and fans/contributors are already questioning Coach Davis (fair or not). Last year FF to this year nothing is not a good look. UNC players are already looking at NBA and xfer portal.
At this point playing in the NBE beats the ACC in many ways

Reaction Score

Ledlum has already graduated.

Timberlake may very well go to UNC, but the bolded part is not making a strong point in favor of UNC like you think it is. UNC is the first and only team to start the season ranked #1 and not make the NCAAT since 1985 when the NCAAT expanded to 64 teams.

It's not all roses in North Carolina, and maybe that changes, but the fanbase is already questioning Hubert Davis and the direction the program is going in. There were rumored to be team chemistry problems among the players, too.

You are severely underestimating Pitino's pull at St. John's. They can't be underestimated or ignored anymore-they will be a big factor in college basketball.

Reaction Score
Hilarious post. Ledlum is a grad transfer and all this talk about a 2-3 year rebuilding project for Pitino is comical. If it's strictly a basketball decision anyone choosing Hubert Davis over Rick Pitino is nuts.
You are severely underestimating Pitino's pull at St. John's. They can't be underestimated or ignored anymore-they will be a big factor in college basketball.

Some on this board seem to constantly underestimate Pitino as a coach because he's a horrible person. He's a top-5 coach of the last 30 years. Calhoun is 1a, but there are a few lumped together in 1b. A player looking to get the most out of college and improve their game would be a fool to not seriously consider SJU right now.

Reaction Score
Thanks and yes, I know about Ivy grad students, but when I saw that he had only played 3 years at Harvard, I assumed that he was only a junior. Do you know why he missed his sophomore year? Injury?

There appears to be a long list of schools after him. Seeing that he was an academic All American, I would assume that the right match of grad school program is going to be important to him, in which case St. John’s is going to have a lot of competition.
You could've just said, thanks I was wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom