Eleven NBA scouts in the stands. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Eleven NBA scouts in the stands.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
CV probably won’t get drafted but he will almost certainly get a summer league invite and will likely end up in the G-league. My hope is he gets to don an NBA uni one day even if for just a game or two. Imo he’s better than two former huskies who recently played a few games in the league
I have a healthy skepticism about that for a lot of reasons. I do think he will have a successful career in Europe though.

C

Chief00

Calhoun would have literally pushed Drummond out the door if he said he wanted to stay for a 2nd year. Even by your standards this is a horrible attempt at trying to act like you know something we don't.
You are 100% wrong. Jim had the normal post season meeting with Dre and he was genuinely surprised Dre wanted to go pro. He then tried to talk him out if it, not thinking he would go as high as he did. Once Jim knew the decision was firm he supported Dre 100%. Jim said he would have likely coached another year if Dre stayed. Of course, the NCAA cloud complicated things too.
Dre had a quickly arranged night workout with the Pistons in NYC just before the draft and that moved his draft spot up.

Reaction Score
You are 100% wrong. Jim had the normal post season meeting with Dre and he was genuinely surprised Dre wanted to go pro. He then tried to talk him out if it, not thinking he would go as high as he did. Once Jim knew the decision was firm he supported Dre 100%. Jim said he would have likely coached another year if Dre stayed. Of course, the NCAA cloud complicated things too.
Dre had a quickly arranged night workout with the Pistons in NYC just before the draft and that moved his draft spot up.

"Dre" was expected to go higher than he did and at the time the decision was made was viewed as a likely top 5 pick. Just stop.

Reaction Score
He then tried to talk him out if it, not thinking he would go as high as he did.

I'm sure you're right, because I can't recall you being wrong about anything, but I can remember within a week or so of the season ending Calhoun saying Drummond "had to" turn pro because he was about as well positioned as any player that had come through UConn, so I don't know about this "night workout" two months later that suddenly changed everything. A lot of people thought Drummond was going to go fifth to Sacramento. He ended up going ninth, which is the reverse of what you're saying.

C

Chief00

I'm sure you're right, because I can't recall you being wrong about anything, but I can remember within a week or so of the season ending Calhoun saying Drummond "had to" turn pro because he was about as well positioned as any player that had come through UConn, so I don't know about this "night workout" two months later that suddenly changed everything. A lot of people thought Drummond was going to go fifth to Sacramento. He ended up going ninth, which is the reverse of what you're saying.
As I said, Calhoun supported Dre’s NBA draft efforts after their post season meeting and decision. However, Calhoun’s initial position at the meeting was that he should come back.
The pre draft workout was much later (June) - what that did was move his draft position up , it had nothing to do with him staying in the draft. That decision was already made.

C

Chief00

"Dre" was expected to go higher than he did and at the time the decision was made was viewed as a likely top 5 pick. Just stop.
That’s crazy - you clearly don’t know what you are talking about. There are always all kinds of draft rumors but 5th wasn’t gone to happen. His agent was thrilled to score that Piston workout. You don’t do workouts a couple days before the draft for a 9th spot team, if you are already a top 5 pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
That’s crazy - you clearly don’t know what you are talking about. There are always all kinds of draft rumors but 5th wasn’t gone to happen. His agent was thrilled to score that Piston workout. You don’t do workouts a couple days before the draft for a 9th spot team, if you are already a top 5 pick.

In April of 2012, Draft Express had him #2 in their mock draft. That guy talks to more NBA guys than Calhoun does during the season.

Reaction Score
As I said, Calhoun supported Dre’s NBA draft efforts after their post season meeting and decision. However, Calhoun’s initial position at the meeting was that he should come back.
The pre draft workout was much later (June) - what that did was move his draft position up , it had nothing to do with him staying in the draft. That decision was already made.

"at the time of the decision" i.e. right after the season when he was mocked in the top 5.

C

Chief00

"at the time of the decision" i.e. right after the season when he was mocked in the top 5.
Since Chief was the only one in the summer of 2011 predicting Dre would go to UConn for the 2011/2012 season and visited his AAU coaches summer camp and attended the celebration when he went pro - a reasonable person might assume Chief might know a few things on this topic - but not you and your buddies LOL.

C

Chief00

Calhoun genuinely was planning on covering what Dre should do that summer to prepare for the next season. Perhaps, because of his health issues that season, Calhoun may not had been in position to pick up on various vibes as he normally could?
And if you believe a guy going #2 is going to work out just before draft day with a team picking #9 - that’s insane.

Reaction Score
Calhoun genuinely was planning on covering what Dre should do that summer to prepare for the next season. Perhaps, because of his health issues that season, Calhoun may not had been in position to pick up on various vibes as he normally could?
And if you believe a guy going #2 is going to work out just before draft day with a team picking #9 - that’s insane.
The #2 pick talk is from April, when this supposed conversation with Calhoun would have happened

Reaction Score

Drummond declared 9 days after they lost to Iowa St. At the time he was projected to be a top 5 pick.

"Andre is a developing player with unlimited potential and his projected position in the draft is as good as almost any player I've ever had," UConn coach Jim Calhoun said. "Very few players get such a tremendous opportunity, and he's got to take advantage of it."

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
OR Hurley is just preparing for every possible scenario, which is what a responsible coach does. I say the odds of Bouk returning next season are 80-20 in our favor
I don't know his personal situation, but it there aren't many stresses (i.e., having a child or parents who are in financial straights), I'd say he's a lock for at least 1 year and 50/50 for two. That is assuming he adds strength, 3 point shooting and handle. I fully expect him to develop into a beast and end up in the lottery.

At that he will be helping DH as lottery picks add top recruits. What would be nice would be to add a couple of other lotteries in the next 3 years specially a big.

Reaction Score
The kid is an absolute stud. No decent scout is going to overlook that. I really hope we have Bouk next season.

Don't worry he is not ready for the G League yet let alone the NBA. I think we have him for two more seasons.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Is Chief being tested on a subject he knows? Look out! Get 'em Chief.

Reaction Score
There was 1 junior (who played less than 5mpg his freshman year and was raised in a foreign country) drafted in the lottery last year. There are 0 mocked this year. No draft prospects stay 3 years these days.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom