Elam Ending | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Elam Ending

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Really going out on a limb there.

Regular season college basketball is headed into an abyss of unpopularity. They should totally stick to exactly what they are doing and not consider anything that could make the games entertaining.
But your stripping the game of its most popular feature, the buzzer beater.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Or maybe if creative people tinker they can create more exciting things. Maybe they should remove the 3 point line and have a jump ball after every basket - why even contimplate improvement.

Reaction Score
Or maybe if creative people tinker they can create more exciting things. Maybe they should remove the 3 point line and have a jump ball after every basket - why even contimplate improvement.

As an FYI it's "contemplate". Trying to help you improve ;)lol

Reaction Score
Jack Elam. Great character actor.

jack_elam1.jpg

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Surgery for a detached retina. Takes forever to heal and see again. Hense the pirate whale.
Should have waited til halftime of UCF and potentially tell them to take both your eyes away

Reaction Score
If coaches started treating the 4 minute mark as 0:00 on the clock then they would start fouling earlier. Your down 12 with 7 minutes to go the coach might start fouling to get it down to 3 or whatever for the first under 4 stoppage. Coaching would change and adjust. The fouls would just happen earlier. All it would take would be a season or 2 of data to show if that would bea viable strategy for this type of set up

Fouling even a bad FT shooter (65%) is on average 1.3 ppp. That's better than Villanova 2018 or Wisconsin 2015 offense.

And that's the worst case scenario for the offense (coaches can pull bad FT shooters with between 6 and 4 minutes left if teams actually tried it). Teams who shoot FTs every possession are the greatest offense of all time.

The only benefit is somewhat increased volatility (especially with 1 and 1, which I'd consider removing like NBA if switching to Elam), but it's a losing proposition over the long term. It also harms your offense as it is almost impossible to get transition opportunities after FTs.

Again, the only reason coaches currently do it is to lengthen the game (other than the hack-a-x). There is no reason to lengthen the game with the Elam ending.

Reaction Score
I think the most popular feature in basketball is actually basketball. If you are watching games because you just really like buzzer beaters, you probably aren't going to have a good time.

People don't care about the buzzer part. It's the game-winning shot part.

Every game in Elam ending has a game-winning shot. If people do care about the buzzer, we'll throw a big air horn in after the shot goes in like a hockey goal.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
One of my many claims to anonymous fame was in interpreting the three point rule for the rules committee. The chair was the Springfield college AD, and his direct line was mistakingly forwarded to my work number at SC for a three day weekend.

Look at Big Red playing down his gravitas. Humble stay humble.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
People don't care about the buzzer part. It's the game-winning shot part.

Every game in Elam ending has a game-winning shot. If people do care about the buzzer, we'll throw a big air horn in after the shot goes in like a hockey goal.

IDK about that. The Shot was what it was because of how little time was left on the clock. No clock, no fully court bomb, no turn around, hair-trigger shot to win it.

Reaction Score
Jack Elam. Great character actor.

View attachment 33286

Jack was the most famous Elam ever.
He also had one eye like Whaler.
Also Like Whaler he was a financial wizard but because of his bad eye sight and availability to finances he got into the movie business as an actor.
He also was killed in that great movie shootout at a train station by Charles Bronson.
The NIT is played on a train station
Coincidences maybe or it means Whaler is going to be the next great character actor .

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are you still sleeping in your chair?

Only two weeks of not being able to life my head. I watched every available second of US Open coverage on a chromebook set up underneath me. #summerofgeorge

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Fouling even a bad FT shooter (65%) is on average 1.3 ppp. That's better than Villanova 2018 or Wisconsin 2015 offense.

And that's the worst case scenario for the offense (coaches can pull bad FT shooters with between 6 and 4 minutes left if teams actually tried it). Teams who shoot FTs every possession are the greatest offense of all time.

The only benefit is somewhat increased volatility (especially with 1 and 1, which I'd consider removing like NBA if switching to Elam), but it's a losing proposition over the long term. It also harms your offense as it is almost impossible to get transition opportunities after FTs.

Again, the only reason coaches currently do it is to lengthen the game (other than the hack-a-x). There is no reason to lengthen the game with the Elam ending.

They would learn very quickly it just increases the chances you lose.

I’d like to test with 10 because that does allow more ‘time’ for a comeback.

Reaction Score
With these rules Nevada never beats new Mexico January 7 2017. Trailed by 25 in the 2nd half and trailed 87-68 with 3:53 to play. New Mexico led 94-91 with 18 seconds to play (game over with Elam ending). Nevada tied the game at 94 and it went to overtime where Nevada won 105-104

One of the greatest comebacks in NCAA history and one of the most exciting games in recent history. Elam ending never lets sports fans experience that game

The end of game situations are annoying but this isn't the answer

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
But, but Roscoe would never be able to take a 70 foot shot with these rules.

#confirmed-not

That does it.

I’m 100% in for this rule change.

Reaction Score
just watched this ending play out for the first time. I love it, and I'm usually pretty traditional when it comes to rules.

Reaction Score
I haven’t been watching TBT...so does this mean there’s no game clock once you hit 4 minutes left? If so, terrible rule. If you’re up you should be able to run out the clock. I don’t care if shooting free throws is boring. That’s the point of a clock. It ends.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom