Elam Ending | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Elam Ending

Reaction Score
One of my many claims to anonymous fame was in interpreting the three point rule for the rules committee. The chair was the Springfield College AD, and his direct line was mistakingly forwarded to my work number at SC for a three day weekend.

Unable to find him, I fielded several questions over three days. He wanted me fired, but reluctantly agreed with my "rulings."

Fun times.

He lives just south of me, near Savannah, GA. Had some significant interaction with him regarding major volleyball tournaments sponsored by the Hall of Fame and held at SC. Definitely old school, no nonsense, but he said what he meant and meant what he said in our dealings so we liked working with him. Once he made a decision that affected his staff they jumped and the only thing they asked was "how high"?
Edit: Of course we had no idea what went on behind the scenes.

Reaction Score
Here's a pretty good discussion of the pros and cons:

By: Jason Lisk | July 27, 2018 5:06 pm ET
(an online publication called the Big Lead)

You might have heard the term “Elam Ending” this summer. It’s an idea to change how basketball games are ended, to incentivize less fouling by setting a target score rather than rely on the clock at the end of a game. “The Tournament”–the $2 million winner-take-all tournament featuring a lot of former college players–has utilized this format to end its games.

The “Elam Ending” stops the game at the first stoppage within the 4 minute mark, and whatever the score is at that time sets the winning score to achieve. You add 7 points to the team leading the game at that point, and the first team to achieve that score wins the game.

And while it may sound like a good way and an exciting way to end games (after all, every game will end on a made shot), it will have a lot of unintended consequences. Mike DeCourcy lays out a pretty good case for why college basketball should avoid experimenting with it.

I thought I would expound on some of the issues with the concept. I went back through this year’s NCAA tournament games, just to see how it might play out. The Elam Ending method would end a certain type of games sooner–namely those where a team was comfortably up by double digits. Most of these games hit the target score before the final minute of game time. Now, we don’t know if they would have done so playing under the modified rules. That’s because teams would be incentivized differently. A team trailing by double digits is going to extend pressure, take risks, and try to speed up the game to try to get back in quickly. Often, this results in quick buckets. But under the Elam Ending, these same teams might pack it in, despite trailing.

Another subset of games would be elongated by the Elam Ending–mismatches. There were numerous cases of a power team being up big and bringing on the subs and calling off the dogs in the final minutes and not scoring much more. Half of the largest margin games would have taken more time to hit the winning score than just using the current method. An Elam Ending would require them to score more to end it.

Finally, the close games would have failed to hit the Elam Ending in regulation time two-thirds of the time. Further, most of the best game endings would have been lost. Yes, the game winners could still happen. But removing the time factor takes out a lot of drama. You would have lost the drama of Clayton Custer’s game winner against Tennessee, and the miraculous Michigan game winning shot against Houston. Nevada’s big comeback wouldn’t have hit the target by the end of regulation against Cincinnati. Barry Brown’s running layup to knockoff Kentucky wouldn’t have been a game winner and Kentucky wouldn’t have been as pressed for time.

Elam Ending game winners might be when already up, with some reduced drama. Miss this one, get the next one. A team down one knows they can still get a stop. Take away the clock and you lose all those time-crunch-inspired magical moments. Duke doesn’t need to throw a baseball pass to Christian Laettner, they can just dribble it up. Tyus Edney doesn’t need to go coast to coast. The Bryce Drew play doesn’t need to be drawn up that way.

There are plenty of other unintended consequences. For example, it would probably lead to fouling before the stoppage to determine the Elam score target. If you are trailing, you may want to extend the game and see if you can close the margin before that target is set. It would lead to reduced strategy and changing of tactics in the closing minute. Teams would not need to press or try to speed teams up (if that wasn’t their standard practice). Trailing teams could play slowly. Teams leading by 1 and within 2 points of the target could intentionally foul to prevent game-winning three pointers. There would never be overtime, or tying shots to send it to overtime.

It would have a huge impact on gambling markets and scoring and point spread evaluations, something that would cause some chaos early on. It could lead teams to make personnel and substitution decisions when up comfortably that are now considered unsporting, because they could end games sooner, instead of letting time and impossibility taking its course.

I’m all for creative ideas to address problems. Might I instead suggest giving teams the option to keep possession and try to re-inbound the ball or alternatively take the free throws in the final minutes, which creates strategy. But this idea to remove the clock and set a target score seems fraught with issues. I don’t want to shorten the games that are comfortably decided at the expense of the greatest moments and drama.

Reaction Score
Here's a pretty good discussion of the pros and cons:

By: Jason Lisk | July 27, 2018 5:06 pm ET
(an online publication called the Big Lead)

You might have heard the term “Elam Ending” this summer. It’s an idea to change how basketball games are ended, to incentivize less fouling by setting a target score rather than rely on the clock at the end of a game. “The Tournament”–the $2 million winner-take-all tournament featuring a lot of former college players–has utilized this format to end its games.

The “Elam Ending” stops the game at the first stoppage within the 4 minute mark, and whatever the score is at that time sets the winning score to achieve. You add 7 points to the team leading the game at that point, and the first team to achieve that score wins the game.

And while it may sound like a good way and an exciting way to end games (after all, every game will end on a made shot), it will have a lot of unintended consequences. Mike DeCourcy lays out a pretty good case for why college basketball should avoid experimenting with it.

I thought I would expound on some of the issues with the concept. I went back through this year’s NCAA tournament games, just to see how it might play out. The Elam Ending method would end a certain type of games sooner–namely those where a team was comfortably up by double digits. Most of these games hit the target score before the final minute of game time. Now, we don’t know if they would have done so playing under the modified rules. That’s because teams would be incentivized differently. A team trailing by double digits is going to extend pressure, take risks, and try to speed up the game to try to get back in quickly. Often, this results in quick buckets. But under the Elam Ending, these same teams might pack it in, despite trailing.

Another subset of games would be elongated by the Elam Ending–mismatches. There were numerous cases of a power team being up big and bringing on the subs and calling off the dogs in the final minutes and not scoring much more. Half of the largest margin games would have taken more time to hit the winning score than just using the current method. An Elam Ending would require them to score more to end it.

Finally, the close games would have failed to hit the Elam Ending in regulation time two-thirds of the time. Further, most of the best game endings would have been lost. Yes, the game winners could still happen. But removing the time factor takes out a lot of drama. You would have lost the drama of Clayton Custer’s game winner against Tennessee, and the miraculous Michigan game winning shot against Houston. Nevada’s big comeback wouldn’t have hit the target by the end of regulation against Cincinnati. Barry Brown’s running layup to knockoff Kentucky wouldn’t have been a game winner and Kentucky wouldn’t have been as pressed for time.

Elam Ending game winners might be when already up, with some reduced drama. Miss this one, get the next one. A team down one knows they can still get a stop. Take away the clock and you lose all those time-crunch-inspired magical moments. Duke doesn’t need to throw a baseball pass to Christian Laettner, they can just dribble it up. Tyus Edney doesn’t need to go coast to coast. The Bryce Drew play doesn’t need to be drawn up that way.

There are plenty of other unintended consequences. For example, it would probably lead to fouling before the stoppage to determine the Elam score target. If you are trailing, you may want to extend the game and see if you can close the margin before that target is set. It would lead to reduced strategy and changing of tactics in the closing minute. Teams would not need to press or try to speed teams up (if that wasn’t their standard practice). Trailing teams could play slowly. Teams leading by 1 and within 2 points of the target could intentionally foul to prevent game-winning three pointers. There would never be overtime, or tying shots to send it to overtime.

It would have a huge impact on gambling markets and scoring and point spread evaluations, something that would cause some chaos early on. It could lead teams to make personnel and substitution decisions when up comfortably that are now considered unsporting, because they could end games sooner, instead of letting time and impossibility taking its course.

I’m all for creative ideas to address problems. Might I instead suggest giving teams the option to keep possession and try to re-inbound the ball or alternatively take the free throws in the final minutes, which creates strategy. But this idea to remove the clock and set a target score seems fraught with issues. I don’t want to shorten the games that are comfortably decided at the expense of the greatest moments and drama.

Normally when you say something discusses pros and cons, they actually discuss pros. This is just a hater's rant with only cons. Most of this is pointless paranoia. Do you know how I know this is actually a good idea? Because DeCourcy hates it.

My remarks in (-x-)

Stuff nobody cares about or might even be good things:
  • It would have a huge impact on gambling markets and scoring and point spread evaluations. (-Nah-)
  • It could lead teams to make personnel and substitution decisions when up comfortably that are now considered unsporting
  • Trailing teams could play slowly
  • Teams would not need to press or try to speed teams up (if that wasn’t their standard practice).
  • Elam Ending game winners might be when already up, with some reduced drama. (-Because blowouts are so exciting currently-)
  • Miss this one, get the next one. (-Tension is a thing this author is unaware of-)

Stuff I've already debunked:
  • For example, it would probably lead to fouling before the stoppage to determine the Elam score target. If you are trailing, you may want to extend the game and see if you can close the margin before that target is set.

Stuff some people might care about, that I think would be worth the tradeoff due to no more endless fouls and more game winning shots:
  • There would never be overtime, or tying shots to send it to overtime.

Stuff that would probably be addressed by tweaks or just become accepted strategy:
  • Teams leading by 1 and within 2 points of the target could intentionally foul to prevent game-winning three pointers (-This already happens under current rules when up 3-).

The real tradeoff:
  • Take away the clock and you lose all those time-crunch-inspired magical moments. Duke doesn’t need to throw a baseball pass to Christian Laettner, they can just dribble it up. Tyus Edney doesn’t need to go coast to coast. The Bryce Drew play doesn’t need to be drawn up that way.
  • ... decided at the expense of the greatest moments and drama.
  • Further, most of the best game endings would have been lost. Yes, the game winners could still happen. But removing the time factor takes out a lot of drama.
I'll address this last point, because it's a holdup for a lot of people.

The following things don't have timers or clocks ticking down or really any relevant clocks at all and yet they manage drama just fine:
  • Overtime sudden death playoff hockey.
  • Walk-off baseball home runs, or bottom of the 9th home team trailing or tied in general.
  • Penalty kicks or shootouts in general.
  • Tennis final set tiebreaker.
  • Golf major playoff holes.
  • Like half the sports in the Olympics.
Underdog UConn is playing Pittsburgh in the Big East tournament, and UConn needs 2 points to win. And if UConn doesn't score and Pitt gets the ball back, they're almost assuredly going to win themselves. Pitt is the better team, but UConn has Kemba. Kemba is taking the shot. Everyone knows it. But oh , Pitt switched the screen. UConn clears out. Pitt can't help because a lapsed D layup ends the game. Kemba sets his sights on McGhee. He goes after him. He crosses him up. He steps baaaack. McGhee falls over! Kemba rises! Kemba HIT IT! UCONN WINS ON THE GREATNESS OF KEMBA!

Is it really that different without the buzzer? The result is the same, the stakes are 90% the same. And you potentially have multiple game winning shot attempts. Overtime playoff hockey is my favorite comparison. The teams go back and forth. The tension is high because it is a fast paced sport and you feel like you're holding your breath the whole time because the end could come at almost any time. A turnover, a steal, a crazy shot etc. could change a whole game or a whole season. The shootout comparison is interesting as well. People hate shootouts because they're not the real game. They're just 1 element that's given more importance than the actual game. But sports use them because they're decisive and exciting as hell. Well the Elam ending is like a shootout using actual gameplay. Best of both worlds.

Picture a different game this time. Where the buzzer beater DIDN'T go in. Now instead of fouling immediately and shooting anticlimactic free throws with 0.3 seconds left on the clock, the other team needs to score to win. Our hearts are pounding after that game winner that just missed. But now our team needs to play defense. We're digging our nails into our thighs. All the players are LOCKED IN. Weakside D takes a risk and comes over for a huge block! We grab the board. Our fastbreak is on! We're going the other way! The guy who made the block is sprinting down court. He's got a step on his man! The point guard's penetration is stepped at the wing, but he sees him! Alley-oop DUNK FOR THE WIN!

Great plays will happen. Drama will happen. Will there be less full court heaves that miss 99% of the time? Yes. But there will always be crazy shots to win it. There will be plenty of plays equivalent to Ray Allen's "game winner" against Georgetown. That had 12 seconds left, but could actually be a game winner with the Elam ending.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Normally when you say something discusses pros and cons, they actually discuss pros. This is just a hater's rant with only cons. Most of this is pointless paranoia. Do you know how I know this is actually a good idea? Because DeCourcy hates it.

My remarks in (-x-)

• It would have a huge impact on gambling markets and scoring and point spread evaluations. (-Nah-)
  • It could lead teams to make personnel and substitution decisions when up comfortably that are now considered unsporting
  • Teams would not need to press or try to speed teams up (if that wasn’t their standard practice).
  • Elam Ending game winners might be when already up, with some reduced drama. (-Because blowouts are so exciting currently-)
  • Miss this one, get the next one. (-Tension is a thing this author is unaware of-)

• For example, it would probably lead to fouling before the stoppage to determine the Elam score target. If you are trailing, you may want to extend the game and see if you can close the margin before that target is set.

Stuff some people might care about, that I think would be worth the tradeoff due to no more endless fouls and more game winning shots:

Stuff that would probably be addressed by tweaks or just become accepted strategy:
  • Teams leading by 1 and within 2 points of the target could intentionally foul to prevent game-winning three pointers (-This already happens under current rules when up 3-).

The real tradeoff:
  • Take away the clock and you lose all those time-crunch-inspired magical moments. Duke doesn’t need to throw a baseball pass to Christian Laettner, they can just dribble it up. Tyus Edney doesn’t need to go coast to coast. The Bryce Drew play doesn’t need to be drawn up that way.
  • Further, most of the best game endings would have been lost. Yes, the game winners could still happen. But removing the time factor takes out a lot of drama.

The following things don't have timers or clocks ticking down or really any relevant clocks at all and yet they manage drama just fine:
  • Walk-off baseball home runs, or bottom of the 9th home team trailing or tied in general.
Underdog UConn is playing Pittsburgh in the Big East tournament, and UConn needs 2 points to win. And if UConn doesn't score and Pitt gets the ball back, they're almost assuredly going to win themselves. Pitt is the better team, but UConn has Kemba. Kemba is taking the shot. Everyone knows it. But oh , Pitt switched the screen. UConn clears out. Pitt can't help because a lapsed D layup ends the game. Kemba sets his sights on McGhee. He goes after him. He crosses him up. He steps baaaack. McGhee falls over! Kemba rises! Kemba HIT IT! UCONN WINS ON THE GREATNESS OF KEMBA!

Is it really that different without the buzzer? The result is the same, the stakes are 90% the same. And you potentially have multiple game winning shot attempts. Overtime playoff hockey is my favorite comparison. The teams go back and forth. The tension is high because it is a fast paced sport and you feel like you're holding your breath the whole time because the end could come at almost any time. A turnover, a steal, a crazy shot etc. could change a whole game or a whole season. The shootout comparison is interesting as well. People hate shootouts because they're not the real game. They're just 1 element that's given more importance than the actual game. But sports use them because they're decisive and exciting as hell. Well the Elam ending is like a shootout using actual gameplay. Best of both worlds.

Picture a different game this time. Where the buzzer beater DIDN'T go in. Now instead of fouling immediately and shooting anticlimactic free throws with 0.3 seconds left on the clock, the other team needs to score to win. Our hearts are pounding after that game winner that just missed. But now our team needs to play defense. We're digging our nails into our thighs. All the players are LOCKED IN. Weakside D takes a risk and comes over for a huge block! We grab the board. Our fastbreak is on! We're going the other way! The guy who made the block is sprinting down court. He's got a step on his man! The point guard's penetration is stepped at the wing, but he sees him! Alley-oop DUNK FOR THE WIN!

Great plays will happen. Drama will happen. Will there be less full court heaves that miss 99% of the time? Yes. But there will always be crazy shots to win it. There will be plenty of plays equivalent to Ray Allen's "game winner" against Georgetown. That had 12 seconds left, but could actually be a game winner with the Elam ending.

That 2nd to last part proves it.

Nothing better than a walk off hit in Baseball or a gw ot goal in playoff hockey.

And Anyone arguing about he sanctity of time, I present the idiotic sport of soccer. 20 minutes of dead time....3 minutes given back on the back end.

the Q

Reaction Score

My remarks in (-x-)

The real tradeoff:

Considering all the clock malfunctions, even last year after Mayes shot against Kentucky there was easily half a second left and they put .2 or .3 on....or laetner when you can clearly see the clock start late....a better system without time is a small tradeoff

Reaction Score
That 2nd to last part proves it.

Nothing better than a walk off hit in Baseball or a gw ot goal in playoff hockey.

And Anyone arguing about he sanctity of time, I present the idiotic sport of soccer. 20 minutes of dead time....3 minutes given back on the back end.
In soccer the clock never stops. It’s not even remotely the same thing.

the Q

Reaction Score
In soccer the clock never stops. It’s not even remotely the same thing.

Except there’s so much dead time that you never actualkg get 45 minutes of time

Reaction Score
Except there’s so much dead time that you never actualkg get 45 minutes of time
Not sure what your point is. Different sports have different rules regarding clock/game play. Let’s try putting in a shot clock in golf to attract the younger crowd while we’re at it.

the Q

Reaction Score
Not sure what your point is. Different sports have different rules regarding clock/game play. Let’s try putting in a shot clock in golf to attract the younger crowd while we’re at it.

People who claim the clock is sacred can’t be soccer fans is all.

Soccer is an obvious example of why the clock is sacred argument is bunk.

Reaction Score
People who claim the clock is sacred can’t be soccer fans is all.

Soccer is an obvious example of why the clock is sacred argument is bunk.
Again, you’re comparing apples and oranges. No ones talking about the clock being sacred - shot clock changes, quarters/halves change to keep up with the sport. But in basketball, if you’re gonna incorporate this Elam Ending, what’s the point of a game clock at all? Might as well be first team to 80/90/100. Just doesn’t make sense to me. Plus, you mentioned OT hockey...Elam Ending would eliminate OT in basketball. Apples. Oranges.

Reaction Score
I think it would be cool to see it in the NIT.

It would not be cool to never see an OT in another MCBB or NBA game ever again.

What's so special about overtime?

We feel partial to the concept because of the legendary 6OT game. OT is a part of our history. But as far as the mechanics of why we enjoy it in the first place?

The exciting part is that it by definition is/was a close game, potentially maybe had a shot to force overtime (or potential missed game winner).

Elam ending still would feature all of that stuff. Instead of resetting after that potential missed winner, the game just keeps going, The tension and flow continues until an actual exciting game winner.

If the romanticism of the grit, determination, and playing through fatigue is what interests you, you could certainly tweak the Elam ending. Make it like tennis. If both teams are within 3 of the target score, the game continues until one team goes up by more than 3 over the other team while past the target score. Pseudo-OT without the clock. Maybe institute this only in tournaments or elimination-type games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it would be cool to see it in the NIT.

It would not be cool to never see an OT in another MCBB or NBA game ever again.
This is pretty much how I feel too. I'd also be a little bit concerned that if a team is down, say, 10 approaching the 4 minute mark, they might foul to close the gap before clock shuts off. I'd be willing to see how it goes in the NIT though.

Reaction Score
This is pretty much how I feel too. I'd also be a little bit concerned that if a team is down, say, 10 approaching the 4 minute mark, they might foul to close the gap before clock shuts off. I'd be willing to see how it goes in the NIT though.

Why would fouling help close the gap?

the Q

Reaction Score
I think the real way to fix the “problem” is actually calling intentional fouls when you just grab the dude. Make them make a real attempt at the ball.

Wait wait wait, but the NBA claims it find a good way to even stop hack a Shaq.....so this idea has to obviously be certifiably insane.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
With these rules Nevada never beats new Mexico January 7 2017. Trailed by 25 in the 2nd half and trailed 87-68 with 3:53 to play. New Mexico led 94-91 with 18 seconds to play (game over with Elam ending). Nevada tied the game at 94 and it went to overtime where Nevada won 105-104
If this is a choice between a better finish to the game versus losing the occasional Mountian West barnburner, sign me up for the former.

Reaction Score
Mark me in favor, only true detriment is lack of OT.

Those worried about buzzer beaters are simply not recognizing that every game ending on a made shot is better. Essentially the same drama and it will occur way more frequently (both via a winning shot and likely more 'either team could win next possession' type games). If you want someone call blow a giant horn whenever the team hits the targeted point total.

Has anyone ever played pickup basketball? A game winning shot occurs every game and this is infinitely better than 1/20 games or whatever ending with some legendary buzzer beater. You test your mettle with who is willing to shoot in those moments and/or who gets the yips. You'd never, ever play pickup on a time-clock and the games would undoubtedly be worse. Some team would score 2 pts then site on the ball and there'd eventually be fisticuffs. I'm not sure if the NCAA or NBA should do this, but absolutely perfect for the NIT and for the TBT, D-league should try it too.

Reaction Score
People leave the Superbowl early. Beating traffic is paramount apparently. People are idiots.
Touche' but there is some merit for a finite ending. In the old days I was good for as many baseball extra innings as there could be, but on a weeknight these days very limited and even weekend I don't think I'd last past 11 frames. Playoff game in for the duration, but otherwise no.
Sports that have finite 2hr windows are gaining traction & while I know it remains popular, again other than playoffs I never spend 3.5 full hours wathing a football game (DVR). P.S. DVR is one of the reasons basketball might try this and why its becoming a bigger problem.
A. those watching purely taped games FF over commercials, no value in those late game commercial blitzkriegs
B. Those like myself that start games say 30 minutes into it ARE EVEN more frustrated with the last 3-4 minutes than ever before. You can watch an entire game commercial free by starting 20-30 mins late, but its almost impossible to DVR thru the end of game death march.
C. With Elam ending you never miss the end of the game when you DVR

The purpose is not to eliminate overtime, that's a consequence that we are debating the value of losing. However, to lament losing 5 extra minutes of game time and the 15 minutes that takes when you are actually quickening games in general and keeping more folks in their seats until the final bucket is missing the point of the entire creative concept. This would take what too often takes 20+ minutes and make it consistently less than 10 minutes. And you'd have fewer people leaving early so you can spend less energy being frustrated with em' ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom