Edwards Next Pheesa? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Edwards Next Pheesa?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
From my inside sources, here's part of what Kia told Aaliyah:

"Of course, Coach wants you to play defense. After we lost early on to Stanford, I became a starter, partly because of my defensive effort. But the biggest factor is being Badass. There's this rabid group of fans called Boneyarders, and some guy named Kibitzer chooses the Badass of the Game. You need to be considered for Badass every game and be chosen THE Badass several times a season. If you do that, you will be successful."

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Another Collier or Tuck would be great.

Ater reading an article in today’s (Oct 22) edition of the Hartford Courant, and listening to Geno’s take on Aaliyah, I’m convinced that she is as special as Paige.

I've been reading articles and reading comments by my esteemed colleagues here in the yard all summer. I’ve have not read one article or comment that even hints that Bueckers is not all that she appears to be, or that the hype is "fake news". :confused:

Everyone from former teammates and coaches to current teammates and coaches ALL say the same thing, she’s special. Ditto for Aaliyah. In a recent interview, Christyn Williams said 3 times how “tough” she is. She doesn’t take plays off. She’s relentless on both ends of the court. Needless to say Williams is convinced of her aggressiveness and skill set.

Geno has compared her to Napheesa Collier, saying that she has the same motor and competitiveness. She’s extremely coachable, and wants to be not just good, but great.

She said it was a ”no-brainer” choosing UConn because "it's UConn", and she wants to be coached hard, and coached by the best. One poster called her a beast (respectively). It should be very exciting to see both of them on the court together. Imagine what play will look like once these two get use to each other, and can run a play with a simple glance, similar to a quarterback and his receiver with no words or gestures necessary. To quote retired NFL linebacker Bart Scott, “can’t wait“.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ater reading an article in today’s (Oct 22) edition of the Hartford Courant, and listening to Geno’s take on Aaliyah, I’m convinced that she is as special as Paige.

I been reading articles and reading comments by my esteemed colleagues here in the yard. I’ve have not read one article, or comment that even hints that Bueckers is not what she appears to be.

Everyone from former teammates and coaches to current teammates and coaches all say the same thing. She’s special. Ditto for Aaliyah. In a recent interview, Christyn Williams said 3 times how “tough” she is. She doesn’t take plays off. She’s relentless on both ends of the court. Needless to say Williams is convinced of her aggressiveness and skill set.

Geno has compared her to Napheesa Collier, saying that she has the same motor and competitiveness. She’s extremely coachable, and wants to be not just good, but great.

She said it was a ”no brainer” choosing UConn because she wants to be coached hard, and coached by the best. One poster called her a beast (respectively). It should be very exciting to see both of them on the court together. Imagine what play will look like once these two get use to each other. To quote retired NFL linebacker Bart Scott, “can’t wait“.
Here's the link to the article:

Carnac

Reaction Score
From my inside sources, here's part of what Kia told Aaliyah:

"Of course, Coach wants you to play defense. After we lost early on to Stanford, I became a starter, partly because of my defensive effort. But the biggest factor is being Badass. There's this rabid group of fans called Boneyarders, and some guy named Kibitzer chooses the Badass of the Game. You need to be considered for Badass every game and be chosen THE Badass several times a season. If you do that, you will be successful."

They need to have these words bronzed, and hung in a prominent place in their locker room so that every player can see them, and reflect on them (mentally and physically) daily, endeavoring to be Badass every time they leave the locker room and take the floor. Being a Badass should be a “state of mind”, not just a post game performance award. :mad:

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score

Thanks RoadWarrior. I’m on a road trip the next 3 days. I’m using my cellphone to post my comments. I can’t include links using my phone like I can on my computer. If it’s possible, I don’t know how. Thanks for having my back, appreciate it. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks RoadWarrior. I’m on a road trip the next 3 days. I’m using my cellphone to post my comments. I can’t include links using my phone like I can on my computer. If it’s possible, I don’t know how. Thanks for having my back, appreciate it. :)
Am I reading this right? You are telling someone named ROADWARRIOR that YOU are on a ROAD TRIP??
:)

Safe travels, my friend!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Really like hearing from teammates. From a real student of the game:

“She has really great footwork in the lane. She runs the floor well. She has guard skills, too — she can dribble it, she can pass it, and she’s tall,” fellow freshman Bueckers said, while also complimenting her teammate’s defense. “She’s one of our hardest workers and most fierce competitors. ... I really enjoy playing with her and I really love her game.”

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

So, Aaliyah is like Grand Central Station: "She has a huge ceiling." :D

Seriously, there are 4 other words that I think are key: "every possession" and "both ends." Kids who don't take plays off and kids who like to play defense are rare. But I think Aaliyah is rare. HoopGurlz has her ranked at #23. Eric and I think she's much closer to #5.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

“She has really great footwork in the lane. She runs the floor well. She has guard skills, too — she can dribble it, she can pass it, and she’s tall,” fellow freshman Bueckers said, while also complimenting her teammate’s defense. “She’s one of our hardest workers and most fierce competitors. ... I really enjoy playing with her and I really love her game.”
Interpretation: "I'll be able to look for her on the break and cutting through the lane. Ka-ching! Dropping dimes!"

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Interpretation: "I'll be able to look for her on the break and cutting through the lane. Ka-ching! Dropping dimes!"
Yup, Paige has been practicing this working with a mobile big for a few years.

1603381356959.png

Carnac

Reaction Score
So, Aaliyah is like Grand Central Station: "She has a huge ceiling." :D

Seriously, there are 4 other words that I think are key: "every possession" and "both ends." Kids who don't take plays off and kids who like to play defense are rare. But I think Aaliyah is rare. HoopGurlz has her ranked at #23. Eric and I think she's much closer to #5.

So will a lot of others folks once she's had a chance to introduce herself to Division 1 WCBB, and the BIG East Conference in particular. ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score

Game recognizing game. :cool:

Reaction Score
From what I have been reading, it sounds like Aaliyah may end up being a hybrid of Napheesa and Tuck with some Gabby. Aaliyah is doing a lot of high post talk and Paige too about her. She may have Napheesa motor but placing on the court may be closer to Tuck, Gabby, and even Dolson at the high post. I watched a lot of Napheesa and she always gave me low post and wing placement and not as much high post when initiating offense. Love to hear other opinions. And this may just be a product of having Liv in low post which Napheesa didn't really have.

Reaction Score
From what I have been reading, it sounds like Aaliyah may end up being a hybrid of Napheesa and Tuck with some Gabby. Aaliyah is doing a lot of high post talk and Paige too about her. She may have Napheesa motor but placing on the court may be closer to Tuck, Gabby, and even Dolson at the high post. I watched a lot of Napheesa and she always gave me low post and wing placement and not as much high post when initiating offense. Love to hear other opinions. And this may just be a product of having Liv in low post which Napheesa didn't really have.

If there is one skill shared by Tuck and Collier it was sealing defenders on the low post and getting passes from the high post for what always looked like easy hoops. Tuck was the better sealer but Collier had the best hands I ever saw.

Reaction Score
If there is one skill shared by Tuck and Collier it was sealing defenders on the low post and getting passes from the high post for what always looked like easy hoops. Tuck was the better sealer but Collier had the best hands I ever saw.
Totally yes. I also liked how Tuck controlled the offense from the high post while Moriah, Stewie, and Kia would be in constant motion. She just rarely looked like she was rushed whether in the low or high post. Such an asset.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Me too. You seldom saw Collier fumble an entry pass, or any pass..........a gift. Sealing defenders on the low block...........a learned skill.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A few more quotes from Kia Nurse and the Canadian National Team Coach Lisa Thomaidis

“She’s got a whole lot of talent, a whole lot of upside," Kia Nurse, a UConn alum who’s played with Edwards for Canada Basketball, told media in August. "She’s athletic, she’s going to be on the boards, she’s a hard worker and she’s a great learner, so they’ll be getting a good one at UConn.”

Lisa Thomaidis, the head coach of the senior Canadian national team and the women’s team at the University of Saskatchewan, says Edwards is extremely athletic, can attack the rim and is a force on the glass with the potential to become a “world-class rebounder.” The way that Edwards takes her game and her development so seriously, Thomaidis added, makes her seem older than she is — an on-court maturity that would be a huge boost for the Huskies.

“I think the typical freshmen feel a bit of the shell shock around, ‘Oh my gosh, I’m playing with players who are three and four years older than me in college,'" Thomaidis told The Courant this week. “She’s been there, she’s done that. She’s played against some very mature athletes and people who have a very mature game, so I think that [experience] will really, really help her.”

I think we should all remember how seamlessly Kia Nurse stepped into her (starter) role as a Freshman. Is Aaliyah that far behind?

Carnac

Reaction Score
A few more quotes from Kia Nurse and the Canadian National Team Coach Lisa Thomaidis

“She’s got a whole lot of talent, a whole lot of upside," Kia Nurse, a UConn alum who’s played with Edwards for Canada Basketball, told media in August. "She’s athletic, she’s going to be on the boards, she’s a hard worker and she’s a great learner, so they’ll be getting a good one at UConn.”

Lisa Thomaidis, the head coach of the senior Canadian national team and the women’s team at the University of Saskatchewan, says Edwards is extremely athletic, can attack the rim and is a force on the glass with the potential to become a “world-class rebounder.” The way that Edwards takes her game and her development so seriously, Thomaidis added, makes her seem older than she is — an on-court maturity that would be a huge boost for the Huskies.

“I think the typical freshmen feel a bit of the shell shock around, ‘Oh my gosh, I’m playing with players who are three and four years older than me in college,'" Thomaidis told The Courant this week. “She’s been there, she’s done that. She’s played against some very mature athletes and people who have a very mature game, so I think that [experience] will really, really help her.”

I think we should all remember how seamlessly Kia Nurse stepped into her (starter) role as a Freshman. Is Aaliyah that far behind?

This is what I’m talking about. There's something special about Aaliyah. Kia played with her, and knows her well. Thomaidis coached her and knows her very well, and would know if she had any warts. They both say the same thing. She’s an anomaly. She's not your average freshman. I have not read or heard anyone say or suggest her game is deficient. One transcendent player can impact a program. It appears we have two.

I think we know what we have in Edwards. We’ll know for sure after 5 games. If she is as dynamic a force as she is touted to be, I’ll make several predictions right now. Two of them are that her jersey will find its way onto the wall in Gampel, and her name will be added to the greats we talk about when discussing or mentioning the iconic greats in program history.

It’s expected that Paige will live up to all of the expectations being made of her. All signs point in that direction. That by itself would be exciting for us to see, but to have a second player that is also transcendent would be phenomenal. I don't want to rush their matriculation through college, but looking ahead, I can't imagine what they'll be like as juniors and seniors. They will be very good as freshmen, but this should be their least productive year of the four. It's assumed that they will grow and develop and become more comfortable at this level, and make a significant sophomore leap next year.

Could it be that we are at the forefront of a four year odyssey that will be as historic as the Lobo, Bird, Taurasi and Stewart eras? We don’t know anything at this time because no games have been played yet. But based on the information we have before us, it sure looks that way.

I have no doubt that Paige and Aaliyah will be the targets of a lot of media attention this season. I’ll also predict that this program will win a lot of games during their run. This will also do wonders for recruitment as UConn‘s games are available on TV nationally throughout the year.

A high winning percentage + national exposure = the best recruitment tools a program can have. Recruits want to play and grow in college programs that are consistently top ranked, and will prepare them to play at the professional level. UConn is the place. Coaches and GM’s in the WNBA have coveted UConn players for decades.

Because of the shortened season, our OOC schedule will consist of mostly top ranked teams. I think we’ll find out early on what kind of team we have, and how they measure up to the quality of competition they'll see in March. UConn's first time around the block in the new BIG East should be interesting as they introduce themselves to the other teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is what I’m talking about. Kia played with her, and knows her well. Thomaidis knows her very well, and would know if she had any warts. They both say the same thing. She’s an anomaly. I have not read or heard anyone say or suggest her game is deficient in any area. One transcendent player can impact a program. It appears we have two.

I think we know what we have in Edwards. We’ll know for sure after 5 games. If she is as dynamic a force as she is touted to be, I’ll make several predictions right now. Two of them are that her jersey will find its way onto the wall in Gampel, and her name will be added to the greats we talk about when discussing or mentioning the iconic greats in program history.

It’s expected that Paige will live up to all of the expectations being made of her. That by itself would be exciting for us to see, but to also have another player that is also transcendent would be phenomenal.

Could it be that we are on the precipice of a four year odyssey that will be as historic as the Lobo, Bird, Taurasi and Stewart eras? We don’t know anything at this time, but based on the information we have before us, it sure looks that way.

I think Paige and Aaliyah will be the subjects of a lot of media attention this season. I’ll also predict that this program will win a lot of games in the next 4 years. This will also do wonders for recruitment. UConn‘s games will be on national TV throughout the year.

A high winning percentage + national exposure = the best recruitment tools a program can have. Recruits want to play, win and grow in college in preparation to play at the professional level. UConn is the place. Coaches and GM’s in the WNBA covet UConn players. The facts speak for themselves.

Because of the shortened season, our OOC schedule will consist of mostly top ten teams. I think we’ll find out early on what kind of team we have. I also think we’re really going to like what we see.
:p

Reaction Score
By a "process of elimination". i.e. the act of considering and rejecting each possible choice until only one is left, then Liv is the only "5", and Aaliyah is the only "4" on this team, thereby guaranteeing them both the most minutes to be played.
Actually, Aaliyah may have a leg up on Liv if Geno is looking to get minutes for Piath in blowouts, of which there could be many.
Who then [in blowouts] could sub in for Aaliyah? IMO no one really. The rest of the team are 1s, 2s, or 3s, eh? No, Aubrey does not have the strength nor post-up moves to play the 4-spot.
Could Aaliyah have a better situation presented to her on a nationally-ranked squad? I think not... :)

Reaction Score
Game recognizing game. :cool:
Indeed, it is also very impressive how comprehensive the comments from Paige and others have been. Frequently we get glimpses of a particular skill or trait, like that player is athletic, can shoot, defend, rebound, pass, is coachable, or a hard worker etc. In Aaliyah's case when you add up all the comments from all the sources, it seems like she is covering all the bases.

Everyone knows about Paige so she is not a surprise, and we have a deep class with Mir and Piath, but the surprise to many will be how good our two foreign players will be, since they were not really properly rated by most services. As has been previously stated, if Aaliyah was from the US, I think she surely would have been consistently rated in the top 5, and I suspect Nika could have been top 10 as well.

It would be nice to get more of these breakdowns from players and coaches on the other new players that covers a little more than one distinguishable trait.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Aaliyah is not that far behind and our need is greater, far greater. I believe by January 1 she and Paige will be on their way to producing two of the most significant freshman seasons ever at UConn. I say that because other significant freshmen all played with multiple all americans while Paige and Aaliyah do not have the chorus of proven players surrounding them. In fact there are question marks abounding. Does Christyn bounce back? Is Evina going to play with full force? Did Aubrey grow in confidence? Is Olivia strong enough to bang with SC, Baylor, and Oregon? For the record, I feel each of these players are ready to overcome the obstacles in front of them and provide a championship caliber season.

Reaction Score
Just IMHO I think by tournament time Aaliyah Edwards will be a better player than Boston!
Having watched Boston last year several times and given room for improvement this year, then watched 4 or 5+ videos of Aaliyah, I think she will be more of a threat than Boston on both ends of the court!
Just call me a wild and crazy guy!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom