Edwards Next Pheesa? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Edwards Next Pheesa?

Reaction Score
No, she can't, because defenses will sag off of her and take away her slashing ability unless she can prove she can beat them from the outside.

There's a lot of room between the arc and the paint, which is where those defenders will sag to. As hard as I try I can't find where Collier ever developed a reliable 3 pt shot in college and I don't remember her scoring being stymied by sagging defenses. Edwards won't be slashing much from behind the arc but she will from around the foul line. In the video I saw Edwards came out from the low post area and hit a quick elbow jumper from 12-15 feet. If she can hit that shot consistently she will be very successful.

Reaction Score
There's a lot of room between the arc and the paint, which is where those defenders will sag to. As hard as I try I can't find where Collier ever developed a reliable 3 pt shot in college and I don't remember her scoring being stymied by sagging defenses. Edwards won't be slashing much from behind the arc but she will from around the foul line. In the video I saw Edwards came out from the low post area and hit a quick elbow jumper from 12-15 feet. If she can hit that shot consistently she will be very successful.

Well, Collier played the 4, so she didn't need a great 3 pt jump shot. I am also not sure why you brought up Edwards, my post was in regards to Griffin.

Reaction Score
Enough of the freshman vs pro great.....someone please try and come up with something of more interest....it was fine for a while....but post after post....I am bored locked in house and haven't seen enough to reply to...If I get a brainstrorm, I will post it, good or bad. Yes, let the ladies start playing on tv....thanks As a sports nut, I have not watched baseball, football, and yes, the NBA. The WNBA was of some interest, but the college basketball should be great to watch, especially Geno's kids.

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned an infinite number of permutations. That's not quite right. If you throw Autumn into the mix there's slightly less than 40 million permutations (if my math is correct), and dare I say, the majority of those would work just fine.

Reaction Score
Right .. eggzackly the point I brought up in post #56, eh?

Reaction Score
Well, Collier played the 4, so she didn't need a great 3 pt jump shot. I am also not sure why you brought up Edwards, my post was in regards to Griffin.

My brain fart. I meant Griffin.

I don't subscribe to the idea that the position number dictates what a player does. Stewart was a 4 and roamed on the perimeter despite being a borderline 3 point shooter until her senior year. She was about a 32% for her first 3 years and I don't remember defenses sagging off her.

Are you suggesting that Collier had an effective 3 point shot and just failed to use it? You better have something to back that up because she never showed one in 4 years. And if Collier could play as a 4 then why not Griffin? Same height and I'd say that Griffin is more athletic. 4 or 3 makes little difference at UConn. I doubt Geno says to his players: "Today, Collier, you are a 4 so you can't shoot 3's but next week you will play the 3 and do all the things you did as a 4 except you will need to shoot 3's. Position roles at UConn are very fluid. In a switching man to man we often see a UConn 4 switching to guard a 2 outside and often a 3 is asked to guard a 4.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Someone mentioned an infinite number of permutations. That's not quite right. If you throw Autumn into the mix there's slightly less than 40 million permutations (if my math is correct), and dare I say, the majority of those would work just fine.
I do believe you are slightly off for the number of different possible lineups (permutations) for a roster of 11 players, with 5 players on the floor at all times. If the total number of objects n=11 and the sample size r=5, the total number of possible lineup permutations=55,440. ;)

Reaction Score
I do believe you are slightly off for the number of different possible lineups (permutations) for a roster of 11 players, with 5 players on the floor at all times. If the total number of objects n=11 and the sample size r=5, the total number of possible lineup permutations=55,440. ;)

See, this is way the Boneyard is the best fan board. You just don't get this type of math on Volnation.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Sorry to be a stickler but as a former math teacher, we are not talking permutations, rather we're talking combinations.

For example, when the order doesn't matter, it is a Combination; When the order does matter it is a Permutation.

In UConn's 'motion offense', where positions are interchangeable, where the order doesn't matter, we're talking combinations, not permutations, eh?

Apologise... :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

I don't subscribe to the idea that the position number dictates what a player does. Stewart was a 4 and roamed on the perimeter despite being a borderline 3 point shooter until her senior year. She was about a 32% for her first 3 years and I don't remember defenses sagging off her.

Are you suggesting that Collier had an effective 3 point shot and just failed to use it? You better have something to back that up because she never showed one in 4 years. And if Collier could play as a 4 then why not Griffin? Same height and I'd say that Griffin is more athletic. 4 or 3 makes little difference at UConn. I doubt Geno says to his players: "Today, Collier, you are a 4 so you can't shoot 3's but next week you will play the 3 and do all the things you did as a 4 except you will need to shoot 3's. Position roles at UConn are very fluid. In a switching man to man we often see a UConn 4 switching to guard a 2 outside and often a 3 is asked to guard a 4.
Just about everything in the bolded part is both historically and technically inaccurate. Historically the 4 has been the featured position on UCONN Championship teams and positions are not fluid at UCONN. The requirements of a 3 in the UCONN offense (and the subject of this thread) is to ensure the proper spacing via a reliable 3 ball and perimeter defense. Defensively the 4 is relied upon for post defense. A 4 at UCONN (or anywhere else for that matter) is not involved with switching perimeter defense. Post players (4&5) if caught on a high ball screen do not switch-they do something called a hedge and recover.
What you maybe confusing for fluidity is the position versatility of some past UCONN players. Stewie and Morgan are classic examples of this. Were Morgan and Stewie occasionally involved with switching perimeter defense while at UCONN? Absolutely they were, because they were extraordinary perimeter defenders. If I'm the opposing coach and you are telling me that UCONN is going to switch their 4 on to my 2 (even if that 4 is Stewie or Maya) I would run that play every time down the court.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sorry to be a stickler but as a former math teacher, we are not talking permutations, rather we're talking combinations.

For example, when the order doesn't matter, it is a Combination; When the order does matter it is a Permutation.

In UConn's 'motion offense', where positions are interchangeable, where the order doesn't matter, we're talking combinations, not permutations, eh?

Apologise... :)
I stand corrected.

The number of different player combinations where the roster n=11 and the lineup r=5 is only 462. However, there are in fact 55,440 different starting lineup permutations that could be listed by the PA announcer.
:confused:

Reaction Score
Just about everything in the bolded part is both historically and technically inaccurate. Historically the 4 has been the featured position on UCONN Championship teams and positions are not fluid at UCONN. The requirements of a 3 in the UCONN offense (and the subject of this thread) is to ensure the proper spacing via a reliable 3 ball and perimeter defense. Defensively the 4 is relied upon for post defense. A 4 at UCONN (or anywhere else for that matter) is not involved with switching perimeter defense. Post players (4&5) if caught on a high ball screen do not switch-they do something called a hedge and recover.
What you maybe confusing for fluidity is the position versatility of some past UCONN players. Stewie and Morgan are classic examples of this. Were Morgan and Stewie occasionally involved with switching perimeter defense while at UCONN? Absolutely they were, because they were extraordinary perimeter defenders. If I'm the opposing coach and you are telling me that UCONN is going to switch their 4 on to my 2 (even if that 4 is Stewie or Maya) I would run that play every time down the court.

A 4 at UCONN (or anywhere else for that matter) is not involved with switching perimeter defense. Post players (4&5) if caught on a high ball screen do not switch-they do something called a hedge and recover.

Were Morgan and Stewie occasionally involved with switching perimeter defense while at UCONN? Absolutely they were, because they were extraordinary perimeter defenders.

So everything you say is true, except for when it isn't true? OK.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A 4 at UCONN (or anywhere else for that matter) is not involved with switching perimeter defense. Post players (4&5) if caught on a high ball screen do not switch-they do something called a hedge and recover.

Were Morgan and Stewie occasionally involved with switching perimeter defense while at UCONN? Absolutely they were, because they were extraordinary perimeter defenders.

So everything you say is true, except for when it isn't true? OK.
Correct. Just when I was beginning to think there is no hope for you you surprise me.

Reaction Score
I recall someone commenting on Aaliyah's motor in comparison to Candace Parker. Personally, I wouldn't be concerned.

Regardless who she's played for (Kingston Impact, Team Ontario, Crestwood, Canada Basketball, etc.), she puts in the effort on both ends. She's never been one to take it easy from what I've seen over the years.

UCONN fans, just enjoy what will develop and hope that the season goes off without any complications. This is a special freshman class, including the walk-on. Let Geno do what he does and see what happens.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Aliyah giving all out effort is as sure as the sun rising. She is so focused and mature. I just love the Pheesa comparison and she will work hard to reach it. As I said earlier, one of the great things about going to UConn is that you can set your target with other great players who came before and work towards it.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I recall someone commenting on Aaliyah's motor in comparison to Candace Parker. Personally, I wouldn't be concerned.

Regardless who she's played for (Kingston Impact, Team Ontario, Crestwood, Canada Basketball, etc.), she puts in the effort on both ends. She's never been one to take it easy from what I've seen over the years.

UCONN fans, just enjoy what will develop and hope that the season goes off without any complications. This is a special freshman class, including the walk-on. Let Geno do what he does and see what happens.
Candace Parker gets no love here on the BY- this was self inflicted.
The BY has ZERO concerns about Aliyah's motor. Your words about her effort on both ends of the court echo the words of her coach which started this thread. On the BY her coach is the the ultimate authority.
Aliyah's future at UCONN is bright. :eek: And speaking of bright there were a few BYers who wrongly swore up and down that Aliyah would have to change her purple and yellow tribute hair once she got to UCONN.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And speaking of bright there were a few BYers who wrongly swore up and down that Aliyah would have to change her purple and yellow tribute hair once she got to UCONN.
As someone who expressed a strong hope that Aaliyah would be allowed to keep her colorful braids, I am delighted to see that Geno & the enforcer are mellowing in their old age.

Reaction Score

No, I am not suggesting that all, I am not sure why you would think I was. The WHOLE reason this debate started was because I said Griffin is BETTER suited to play the 4, so you are in agreement with me. 4 or 3 makes a huge difference at UConn, and any other school in the country! Sure, the 4 can step out and knock down a 3pt jump shot, but UConn primarily uses the 4 on the blocks or at the foul line in a high/low game. The 3 is required to handle the ball more, shoot the 3 ball, and slash more. Will a 3 occasionally post up with her back to the basket? Sure, but not very often.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Aaliyah was Ontario Player of the year and Ontario DPOY (as well as Canadian school player of the year) so I'm not worried about her motor. I am so looking forward to the SC game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom