Edwards Next Pheesa? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Edwards Next Pheesa?

Reaction Score
An area where Aliyah may be more advanced than Pheesa. Not an expert but that looks like classic shooting form to me. PS. That is her jump shot, not a FT. :)

View attachment 59932
This! This right here is important! Pheesa’s shot needed to be fixed and her 3pfg% and ft% hurt because of her trying to adjust her shot. If Aaliyah’s shot is already there, she’ll only have to work on post skills and expanding her range rather than changing a fundamental part of her game. Think of what Pheesa could have done if her shooting form was good from the start. Very excited to see how Aaliyah turns out!

Reaction Score
Regarding Aubrey's outside shot does anyone know where to get her high school stats? Maybe she had enough 3pt attempts to have some predictive value. Free throw percentage in high school is also potentially relevant.

Whenever I see a prospect taking and of course making a 3 pointer in a highlight video, my first reaction is to look at form, how quick the release, elevation, are there any off the dribble or contested, possibly step back etc.
After that in terms of how good a shooter is, I would rather see the stats, and not just the percentages, but the frequency of attempts. Some only shoot wide open spot up, catch and shoot threes, others can get threes off the dribble around screens, and really good scorers/shooters can with fakes or step backs hit threes one on one vs. a defender.

I would be thrilled if Aubrey could be the former, and someone like Azzi might be able to create a good 3pt attempt on her own.

Griffin made a total of 48 3pt fgs in 75 career high school games, she averaged .64 3pt makes per game, not exactly sharp shooter numbers.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not sure that I can agree with Aaliyah having more pressure than Paige! While Aaliyah is certainly a known commodity in the Boneyard, her notoriety in Women's Basketball pales next to Paige. I do agree that there is probably a greater need for Aaliyah to produce in the post given that there are more natural guard options than Post/PF options. If Paige does start from day 1, the pressure and expectations will be amped up more - not that she can't handle it.
Your explanation would tend to agree that Aliyah has more pressure than Paige. If Paige were to falter at the PG spot then Evina is a more than capable PG and Nika probably didn't come all this way to spectate. If Aliyah were to falter at the PF position her backup would likely be three wing size players (Ann, Aubrey and Mir) or a center who is most likely a down the road contributor for UCONN. Both players IMO will live up to the expectation; Paige will most likely exceed it.

Reaction Score
Griffin made a total of 48 3pt fgs in 75 career high school games, she averaged .64 3pt makes per game, not exactly sharp shooter numbers.

In her first 3 years of high school Stewart made exactly ten 3 pt shots total (10-37). I can't find the link that includes her senior year but from memory she either took or made 30 as a senior. Even if she made 30 that's still 40 made 3's compared to 48 for Griffin. Not exactly sharp shooter numbers for Stewart either. :rolleyes:

As a UConn freshman Stewart shot 27% (10-59) from outside the arc during the regular season. Not exactly sharp shooter numbers. As a senior she shot 46% from behind the arc.

I really take issue with using unimpressive freshman stats to put a label on any player and placing them in a box. They get better if they work on it. I don't expect that with the outside shooters coming to Storrs this and next year that Griffin will ever become a go-to 3 point shooter but Geno would not have given her the green light to take them last season if she hadn't proven her ability to make them in practice.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

In her first 3 years of high school Stewart made exactly ten 3 pt shots total (10-37). I can't find the link that includes her senior year but from memory she either took or made 30 as a senior. Even if she made 30 that's still 40 made 3's compared to 48 for Griffin. Not exactly sharp shooter numbers for Stewart either. :rolleyes:

As a UConn freshman Stewart shot 27% (10-59) from outside the arc during the regular season. Not exactly sharp shooter numbers. As a senior she shot 46% from behind the arc.

I really take issue with using unimpressive freshman stats to put a label on any player and placing them in a box. They get better if they work on it. I don't expect that with the outside shooters coming to Storrs this and next year that Griffin will ever become a go-to 3 point shooter but Geno would not have given her the green light to take them last season if she hadn't proven her ability to make them in practice.
And Bre is "killin' it" from deep in the pros, eh?

Reaction Score

And I really take issue with people not telling it like it is, not EVERY recruit that comes through UConn is the next Maya Moore or Diana Taurasi! Griffin is a good player, may even be great some day, but to say there are no deficiencies in her game is just absurd! She MADE 1 of 10 3 pt shots last year, obviously she wasn't comfortable shooting them either! Some of you people have to inject just a little objectivity.

Reaction Score
And I really take issue with people not telling it like it is, not EVERY recruit that comes through UConn is the next Maya Moore or Diana Taurasi! Griffin is a good player, may even be great some day, but to say there are no deficiencies in her game is just absurd! She MADE 1 of 10 3 pt shots last year, obviously she wasn't comfortable shooting them either! Some of you people have to inject just a little objectivity.
And just because she wasnt comfortable taking 3s as a freshman means she'll never be comfortable taking them either. Good UConn players grow throughout their 4 years so let's give her the room to grow before you write her UConn story 3 years too early....

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
There is a video from UConn (apparently just released) which asks Geno to comment on the comparison between Aaliyah and Napheesa. He provides a full answer, saying that her intensity and her motor are just the same as Napheesa's, and she wants to have an impact on every possession. So in that respect he seemed to say that she is at the same level as Napheesa.

He said he wasn't so sure, at this point, that her game was as complete as Napheesa's. He didn't elaborate on what he meant by that, but I assume he is talking about position skills -- footwork, positioning, catching passes into the post. It is understandable that he would not be sure in October of a player's freshman year about the completeness of her skills in these areas, and it is pretty unlikely that Aaliyah is as skilled in these areas as Napheesa eventually became.

Geno also said that Pheesa played behind Stewie, Morgan, and Gabby as a freshman, and therefore had time to ease her way into her role, but Aaliyah will play a lot from the start of the season, so she will probably have a "baptism of fire". That sounds promising from the standpoint of her expected minutes.

Nothing was mentioned about fouls, but I have to think that Aaliyah is likely to get herself into foul trouble a lot until she learns how to play hard without fouling. Both Pheesa and Gabby were very foul-prone as freshmen and sophomores, but Aaliyah will probably follow the same path.

Reaction Score
Has this thread also lost it's way? I had to read title to see what thread I'm actually in...somehow it has morphed into an Aubrey thread. :rolleyes:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
DT missed more shots than that in one game her freshman season, remember? Speaking of Edwards, I believe she, barring a major injury, will be special regardless of what position she plays.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Not sure that I can agree with Aaliyah having more pressure than Paige! While Aaliyah is certainly a known commodity in the Boneyard, her notoriety in Women's Basketball pales next to Paige. I do agree that there is probably a greater need for Aaliyah to produce in the post given that there are more natural guard options than Post/PF options. If Paige does start from day 1, the pressure and expectations will be amped up more - not that she can't handle it.

It is that greater need to produce I was referring to with Aaliyah. Paige certainly has the pressure of expectations, but there too we agree. She can handle it.

Reaction Score
In any case the "substitution pattern" discussions this season should fill a couple pages of threads. With so many multi-position players the permutations are virtually endless. :)

Reaction Score
And just because she wasnt comfortable taking 3s as a freshman means she'll never be comfortable taking them either. Good UConn players grow throughout their 4 years so let's give her the room to grow before you write her UConn story 3 years too early....

Did I ever say she would NEVER be comfortable at it? No, not even close! This WHOLE discussion started as whether Griffin is better suited to play the 4 or the 3 this year. My premise, backed by stats from HS and Frosh year, was that Griffin CURRENTLY lacks the 3pt jump shot needed to successfully play the 3 right now. However, as soon as you point out any flaw or critique a player, no matter how fair that critique is, some people on this board lose their mind and cannot be even the slightest bit objective. I realize I look at UConn through rose colored glasses sometimes too, but some people are just super homers on this board.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Did I ever say she would NEVER be comfortable at it? No, not even close! This WHOLE discussion started as whether Griffin is better suited to play the 4 or the 3 this year. My premise, backed by stats from HS and Frosh year, was that Griffin CURRENTLY lacks the 3pt jump shot needed to successfully play the 3 right now. However, as soon as you point out any flaw or critique a player, no matter how fair that critique is, some people on this board lose their mind and cannot be even the slightest bit objective. I realize I look at UConn through rose colored glasses sometimes too, but some people are just super homers on this board.
You used this word (objective) now as in certain posters "can't be". Could it be that they just don't agree with you? BTW I happen to agree with your in this sense (and suspect many others do as well): Regardless of what position Aubrey plays this season she will need to become a better 3pt shooter. I think there is at least a 1/2 dozen post telling you that some people think Aubrey can become a better 3pt shooter. I agree with all 7 of those post as well.

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
IMO, Edwards will have games where she totally dominates the opposition as a freshman. She is ideally equipped to play the high post. She has a great 15 foot jumper (not a set shot like some high posts). She has the quickness to slash down the lane and strength to finish at the rim through contact. She is a great passer to facilitate the high-low or kick to a wing. She is a tenacious rebounder and experienced beyond her years. She will give Anna open looks from the 3 where she led the team last year. She'll also set killer picks for Christyn and Evina to slash.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Sometimes we fans try to make players fit a certain mold instead of letting their natural talents develop their game. Aubrey can dominate at the 3 without a killer 3 point shot. I am not saying she won't have one. But she can play the same game Rip Hamilton took to the NBA. Slash to mid range, elevate over anybody for a wide open deuce. She can do that all day long. On defense she can cause chaos for the opposition with her combination of quickness, size and an instant vertical. You can call her the disruptor.

Reaction Score
Sometimes we fans try to make players fit a certain mold instead of letting their natural talents develop their game. Aubrey can dominate at the 3 without a killer 3 point shot. I am not saying she won't have one. But she can play the same game Rip Hamilton took to the NBA. Slash to mid range, elevate over anybody for a wide open deuce. She can do that all day long. On defense she can cause chaos for the opposition with her combination of quickness, size and an instant vertical. You can call her the disruptor.
Yes .. I think she and Mir [another disruptor] can/could initiate a "killer' full-court press [as i have suggested before :)
BTW .. I thought we were calling Aubrey our "swiss army knife" .. haha!

Reaction Score

Thanks for the info Sox Fan. I wish Max Prep gave more percentages, but the rate of 3 pointers for Aubrey is low, but increased each year on a per game basis, but still not very impressive for someone scoring well over 20 points a game. I notice they did provide FT percentages and a career % in the 60's rarely projects to be a good 3 PT shooter as well. So on balance the evidence that we do have in high school and as a freshman does not suggest Aubrey is likely to be a good 3 PT shooter unless she has shown pretty remarkable improvement, which could happen, but probably should not be assumed or counted on.

Reaction Score
Bueckers is another disruptor. Quick, long, elevates & anticipates passing lanes. It takes hours on the court to learn half court defense but the freshmen's best shot at being impact players on defense it's in pressure.
I expect to see tougher defense this season. Geno couldn't afford to play high pressure, shutdown defense due to a short bench and the energy it expends along with fouls. But this year I think he has more horses to throw out there. This is usually the time of season when he switches over from glass half full to empty. ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I saw Aubrey in a tourney at Paul VI in Fairfax, VA. Ossining eventually lost a high-scoring game against a very good team from Maryland. Aubrey hit multiple threes and scored about 38. In a 5-minute stretch, she had jumpers, layups, steals, blocks, and rebounds, looking very much like Maya Moore.

I suspect the Aubrey 2.0 we'll see in college will be infinitely better than the Aubrey you saw in HS. Iron sharpens iron. She's around better coaches and players now than in HS. They will push her and make improve, as will some of the players she will face. Iron sharpens iron!

1603167928280.png

Can you imagine how much better she will be come March? :eek: If she doesn't start, she'll be one of the first two off the bench. The game will slow down for her, and she will find her "comfort zone". She knows what she can do. When sees an opening, she'll take it. She likes to drive the lane. She's a slasher. You won't see her get a lot of her shots blocked as you did last year. THAT ship has sailed. ;)

Geno will give her more latitude and perhaps a "soft" green light. If she's 100 times better as he says, that soft green light maybe turned up to a bright dark green light. :) There will be nights when she will be "on", and nights when she won't (someone else will be on). I expect her to have "several" Seton Hall games again this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

No, she can't, because defenses will sag off of her and take away her slashing ability unless she can prove she can beat them from the outside. This is EXACTLY what happened to Kelly Faris, until she was finally able to consistently make jump shots. Rip Hamilton was a good enough 3 pt shooter(38%) to keep defenses honest though, that is the big difference.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
No, she can't, because defenses will sag off of her and take away her slashing ability unless she can prove she can beat them from the outside. This is EXACTLY what happened to Kelly Faris, until she was finally able to consistently make jump shots. Rip Hamilton was a good enough 3 pt shooter(38%) to keep defenses honest though, that is the big difference.
In defense of the comment, perhaps I should have defined a KILLER 3 pt shot, which I consider a 40% average efficiency shot. I believe the 33% figure is on par with shooting 50% from 2 and therefore quite adequate. So to complete my point Aubrey can dominate by shooting 33% from 3 and by slashing to the midrange for most of her points. I'll stand by that. Also, I consider Aubrey's speed and elevation to exceed that of Kelly so that she will be able to out perform Kelly if her motor is in the same excellent range of Kelly's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom