Edsall's Thougts on UCONN vs. Maryland | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Edsall's Thougts on UCONN vs. Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am really going to make an effort not to be dragged into Edsall discussions this week

No offense, but I call BS on this too. You are a great poster here and bring great content to the forum and I respect your opinion but you seem to post in every Edsall thread there is. Which is fine, you should, but why do you always need to claim you don't like doing it?

Randy Edsall is fair game this week. The players have made it clear it is not a normal week for them, and the fact so many fans are going to Maryland makes it clear the fans feel the same way.

Reaction Score
No offense, but I call BS on this too. You are a great poster here and bring great content to the forum and I respect your opinion but you seem to post in every Edsall thread there is. Which is fine, you should, but why do you always need to claim you don't like doing it?

Randy Edsall is fair game this week. The players have made it clear it is not a normal week for them, and the fact so many fans are going to Maryland makes it clear the fans feel the same way.

Any thoughts on my post itself, as opposed to me posting?

Reaction Score
But please realize that you will not find a neutral expert, not one, who thought in 2000 that the program would have been where it was by the end of 2010. Not one.

We were 8-5 in 2010 and ranked outside the top 30, no? I couldn't find one neutral observer in 2000 who would have predicted that?

Boise is a program that has achieved greater success then could have been imagined, not UCONN, not yet. I still have hope we will get there. I even have hope we will get there with Whitmer as our QB. Heck I still have hope we will get there this year, our D kicks ass.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
But please realize that you will not find a neutral expert, not one, who thought in 2000 that the program would have been where it was by the end of 2010. Not one. Every neutral observer you asked would think Edsall was not BSing with that quote, but what he was saying is pretty much factual.

There is some truth to this BL, it not as a amazing in retrospect. The college football is much much different than it was.

We have seen Boise, UCF, USF, UofL, Utah, Cincy, TCU etc all show that what UCONN did is not amazing.

If UMASS got a center like the Schenk and a new field and joined the BE, I would expect that is 10 years that would likely have won a BE title.

If things hold together long enough, I expect to see someone like SDSU or Memphis or SMU win the BE in the next 5 or 6 years.

Things can turn around MUCH MUCH faster than before. And schools like Michigan and ND can really suck.

It's a different world.

And in that different world, what Edall did was fine. In retrospect, any competent coach would have done the same. But its not like he is the FB equivalent of Calhoun or Geno. He just isn't GROB or Shea.

Reaction Score
There is some truth to this BL, it not as a amazing in retrospect. The college football is much much different than it was.

We have seen Boise, UCF, USF, UofL, Utah, Cincy, TCU etc all show that what UCONN did is not amazing.

If UMASS got a center like the Schenk and a new field and joined the BE, I would expect that is 10 years that would likely have won a BE title.

If things hold together long enough, I expect to see someone like SDSU or Memphis or SMU win the BE in the next 5 or 6 years.

Things can turn around MUCH MUCH faster than before. And schools like Michigan and ND can really suck.

It's a different world.

And in that different world, what Edall did was fine. In retrospect, any competent coach would have done the same. But its not like he is the FB equivalent of Calhoun or Geno. He just isn't GROB or Shea.

I think that is fair. But please recognize that I can't recall a single person saying he was the equivalent of Geno or Calhoun. Personally, I think part of the disappointment with him is because that was some fans' expectations.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
But please recognize that I can't recall a single person saying he was the equivalent of Geno or Calhoun. Personally, I think part of the disappointment with him is because that was some fans' expectations.

Please recognize that I can't recall saying anyone saying he was the equivalent of Calhoun or Geno. Also, please recognize I can't recall anyone saying he can fly.

He didn't suck. He wasn't terrible.

But I think that any BE coach in the last decade not named GROB would have achieved about the same and some, alot more.

He never left the trailers in his mind.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
What is understood need never be discussed.... He's gone move on.

Reaction Score
He didn't suck, he wan't great but he built the program. It was time for him to go as he reached his ceiling and if he left as a coward then so be it........

The only funny thing is everyone knows he did an awful job communicating with CT HS coaches and his thought of MD vs CT is actually very funny........excuses as one would say but there no excuses for the Hsukies not to be pumped up to kick his a**.............

Reaction Score
It is pretty clear to me regarding his comments about CT recruiting vs. MD recruiting. If we win more games here than he at MD, then his comments are basically meaningless. If Boise can build a winning team out in Idaho with almost no D-1A content, we can do it here in CT. There should not be an excuse we use why our team is not performing well.

FillTheRent

College football lives in Connecticut
Reaction Score
"The Terps have a 54,000-seat stadium right in the heart of the campus, there is stability and marketability in the Atlantic Coast Conference, and a great recruiting base with two cities - Baltimore and Washington, D.C. - less than an hour away."

And yet they only sold 31,321 tickets for their home opener this year.

pj

Reaction Score
Bizlaw is right, Edsall did an excellent job here. I'm glad he chose to leave though, because he wasn't going to take us farther. He left the cupboard bare on offense and a few bad seasons and conference uncertainty would have ruined defensive recruiting too. Now we have a better chance to go to a higher level as a program.

We do need to fix the offense. I love P but last week's game destroyed my faith in DeLeone. How can you script a gameplan that has no chance to succeed against any team that watched the UMass game? How can you run pass plays with no outlet within 15 yards of the quarterback -- all the backs in to block and all the receivers downfield -- when the o-line hasn't proved it can maintain protection and the qb hasn't proven he can complete long passes against a quality secondary? How can you run the wildcat with no threat to pass allowing all 11 defenders in the box? It is baffling.

People said after UMass that they limited the offense to avoid giving insight to NC State. I believed it. Now it seems they limited the offense against UMass to telegraph to NC State exactly what they would do.

Reaction Score
I prefer to think the truth lies halfway between BL & sdhusky. Of course, if you asked anyone in 1998 - "How many times will UCONN defeat Syracuse in their first 10 years in the Big East?" ... you wouldn't get a majority of answers over 3. But the college lanscape has changed over the last 10 years and the task didn't really prove to be as hard as first thought. And in all fairness it would probably be very difficult to get many of the boneyard posters to write what they actually thought in 1998 ...

Reaction Score
Go up 10, 14-0 and his sphincter will get so tight, he wont be able to think.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Please recognize that I can't recall saying anyone saying he was the equivalent of Calhoun or Geno. Also, please recognize I can't recall anyone saying he can fly.

He didn't suck. He wasn't terrible.

But I think that any BE coach in the last decade not named GROB would have achieved about the same and some, alot more.

He never left the trailers in his mind.

Well let me explain how this is horseshit in 25 words or less.

Edsall had two perfect contemporaries who both had a similar starting point and the same tenure.

Edsall accomplished more than Schiano or Leavitt. So really - horseshit.

Reaction Score
Yes and we are going to kick your Randy. Here is one for the road.

Reaction Score
I don't doubt some of the high schools down there turn out a high number of D-1 athletes. Baltimore's Gilman HS just beat Don Bosco Prep - the same Bosco that just waxed Greenwich in a scrimmage 42-7. This years Bosco squad has 8 players I believe who have D-1 offers. Who knows what Gilman has. DeMatha HS is routinely ranked in the top 25 nationally. CT schools rarely get a sniff in regional rankings. I don't take offense at the comment. It is what it is.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Well let me explain how this is horse**** in 25 words or less.

Edsall had two perfect contemporaries who both had a similar starting point and the same tenure.

Edsall accomplished more than Schiano or Leavitt. So really - horse****.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Well let me explain how this is horse**** in 25 words or less.

Edsall accomplished more than Schiano or Leavitt. So really - horse****.

I don't buy that.

I will say that Edsall had better timing. Both LEavitt and Schiano had better teams that Edsall's best.

Reaction Score
I think part of the resentment of Edsall is the fact that with all his flirting with other AD's over the years and his subsequent job in Maryland of all places, he didn't seem to show much respect and belief in the present and future of UConn football. He saw the Fiesta bowl stomping as the absolute ceiling and couldn't wait to get the hell out of Dodge like that Italian captain who pushed women and children off of lifeboats so he could escape a sinking cruiseliner.

And every recruiting season and every football season we as fans root like hell that the new coach will eventually prove him wrong.

And someday Coach P or some new face will.

Reaction Score
Well if the statement about CT high school talent is wrong, where are all these players many of you believe he is wrong about?

Reaction Score
I think everyone knows it's a FACT that CT high school football is subpar to Marlyand/DC/Virginia and I don't even think it's close.

I agree with that.

I called bullsh!t on the statement there are multiple high schools that pump out as many D1 players at the entire state of CT. That's Randy talking out of his @ss.

Reaction Score
Well if the statement about CT high school talent is wrong, where are all these players many of you believe he is wrong about?
USC, Penn State, Maryland, Temple, UConn, Rutgers, etc, etc.

It's not that there isn't more talent down there. There is (there's also more competition), my only complaint is that he believes there are high schools that pump out more than CT as a state.

Reaction Score
The problem anyone coaching UConn and trying to recruit CT kids is that there simply isn't a very big pool to pick from. I mean look at this state. There are counties in other states bigger than CT. LOL there's probably a couple ranches out west bigger than CT. Then add the fact that there are a lot of people in this state leary about football related injuries and whether they want their sons playing the sport in the first place and...... school systems looking at soccer as a less expensive alternative. Look at Suffield. For a while they had a combined team with Windsor Locks and I'm not even sure they have that any more. I'm not saying that there isn't legit Div 1 talent in the state, I'm just saying states like VA are bigger and have more kids playing football so they obviously have a bigger pool of players.

Now Randy could have done a better job reaching out to the high school coaches around here and obviously anyone coaching UConn has to see that it's got to be a regional thing because of the size of the recruiting pool you have. I give credit to Edsall for sticking it out for 10 years while UConn made the transition to BCS but he killed that credibility in the way he left and I won't let go of that. That was a real bush league move and he has to be held accountable. After UConn pounds them up here next year I'll let it rest.

Wow then it's gotta be impossible for Oregon, what with not one but two Pac 12 programs. How do they do it. Look, get the right "personality" in the head coaching position and you'll get your share of players. Start to do things big time and you get more than your share.

Reaction Score
I agree with that.

I called bullsh!t on the statement there are multiple high schools that pump out as many D1 players at the entire state of CT. That's Randy talking out of his @ss.

Depending on the year, what does CT generate in D1 football talent (i.e., full ride offers, no walk ons) 6-10 players? I don't think Edsall was off at all be generally stating that there are schools in MD that generate that alone. Dematha consistently pumps out D1 talent and probably averages 4-5 full ride D1 players a year. A really good class there might have 6-7 scholarship players. I am sure there are a few other schools like that as well, so his statement was not ridiculous at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom