OT: - Ed Cooley interviewing for Michigan job | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Ed Cooley interviewing for Michigan job

TJT

Reaction Score
While having made five NCAA trips and being a minority merited a look, Cooley's sub .500 BE Conference record (71- 73) and 1- 5 NCAA Tournament resume likely caused Michigan not to extend an actual offer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When you see PC paying Cooley $3.5 mill, it really makes you wonder why UConn is funding all these non-major sports and then scraping together cash for a money-maker like Hurley. It’s time to tighten up the belt on non-revenue sports and bloated admin costs so we can fund football and basketball (Men & Women) like they deserve. We are going to have to be paying our men’s basketball coach 5-6 million a year soon or we won’t be keeping a top coach long.

Reaction Score
I went through a bout of folicultus on my scalp a couple years ago and had an Ed Cooley look going on for a couple months. I went to a dermatologist expecting they would be able to stop the cysts but I wasn’t expecting the hair to grow back. Had to buy some outrageously expensive stuff but now I’m fine.

I’ve always wondered why he kept his hair the way it is rather than buzzing it but that’s his choice.

Pretty lame thing to tease him about. It’s not like he wants to have those patches.

What did you have to buy? I thought the only option was those shots into your scalp?

Reaction Score
When you see PC paying Cooley $3.5 mill, it really makes you wonder why UConn is funding all these non-major sports and then scraping together cash for a money-maker like Hurley. It’s time to tighten up the belt on non-revenue sports and bloated admin costs so we can fund football and basketball (Men & Women) like they deserve. We are going to have to be paying our men’s basketball coach 5-6 million a year soon or we won’t be keeping a top coach long.
What is the source for the $3.5 million contract. Hard to believe. Unlike public universities where FOI prevails private schools rarely disclose actual contract details.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah I'm confused by all the Cooley 'dissin' in this thread. I think he's a good coach and have never heard a bad thing about him. He's one coach that I have no problem with getting paid good loot. Providence did right by making him happy and keeping him there.

He's our only real competition (for recruits) in the Northeast and that's a good thing.
He is but is he worth $3.5M/yr? Not seeing it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

What are you talking about?

UConn spends far more on basketball than Providence does - the fact that they wildly overpay for a middle of the road coach has nothing to do with what UConn should or should not be doing.

C

Chief00

As he should. PC aside, Cooley is a cool dude.
I agree he’s a great guy. When they gave Chief the grand tour of the MBB facility, Chief had a couple of observations beyond the obvious. While Cooley’s Office was nice and had a great view it was fairly ordinary in a hallway row of offices outside the basketball court doors. The walls were glass so players walking out of the gym could incidentally see him and Cooley them. He’s a down to Earth dude, easy to chat up, not a phony. And yes everything was designed with 7 footers in mind and UConn needs to learn from that!
#FixTheUrinals

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
What are you talking about?

UConn spends far more on basketball than Providence does - the fact that they wildly overpay for a middle of the road coach has nothing to do with what UConn should or should not be doing.

PC is paying Cooley 3.5 mill and built a great practice facility. We are seeing SEC schools offering guys 5-6 mill per year. When we need to step up to the plate to pay Hurley 5 mill, will we have it? I don’t think PC should be in our stratosphere on these things, yet they are. Meanwhile, all we heard was money might be an issue when competing with Pitt for Hurley’s services. PC got the money together overnight.

We’ve got real problems with schools like UCF, Houston and Memphis killing us on the court and field and yet it seems, there is an awful lot of waste and bloat in the budget. Too many sports, too many AD employees and dumb marketing services to sell tickets. Meanwhile, UCF has a lazy river, Penny takes a private jet on recruiting trips and our assistant football coaches get paid like middle school teachers. Much like the state government, this AD needs to have a come to Jesus meeting for the ages.

Does PC paying Cooley big money have anything to do with UConn? Technically, not yet, but when we need to pay a coach to keep him, a mediocre coach like Cooley 60 miles away making that kind of coin isn’t going to help us negotiate much. It’s rather obvious there is an arms race going on and we need to prepare for it in ways other than overcharging for tickets by 300%.

Last edited:

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
You dopes can think what you want. Whenever someone gets something they didn't deserve, based on merit, it is never a good thing. Tell me what he accomplished to justify being considered for a job that good? Being a good guy who isn't the worst PC coach of the last 20 years doesn't seem like enough. Or maybe you know of another reason he was considered. Is he best buds with Warde? The Michigan Pres?

Please tell me that you don't think less qualified candidates have ever been offered jobs or college admissions based on affirmative action efforts. Perhaps you don't include affirmative action under the umbrella of social justice. I do. And I see it as unjust and counterproductive. And, for the record, I don't care what you vocal warriors say or think.
You're the same guy who wants to sue UConn to see why your kid didn't get in, correct?

Reaction Score
PC is paying Cooley 3.5 mill and built a great practice facility. We are seeing SEC schools offering guys 5-6 mill per year. When we need to step up to the plate to pay Hurley 5 mill, will we have it? I don’t think PC should be in our stratosphere on these things, yet they are. Meanwhile, all we heard was money might be an issue when competing with Pitt for Hurley’s services. PC got the money together overnight.

We’ve got real problems with schools like UCF, Houston and Memphis killing us on the court and field and yet it seems, there is an awful lot of waste and bloat in the budget. Too many sports, too many AD employees and dumb marketing services to sell tickets. Meanwhile, UCF has a lazy river, Penny takes a private jet on recruiting trips and our assistant football coaches get paid like middle school teachers. Much like the state government, this AD needs to have a come to Jesus meeting for the ages.

Does PC paying Cooley big money have anything to do with UConn? Technically, not yet, but when we need to pay a coach to keep him, a mediocre coach like Cooley 60 miles away making that kind of coin isn’t going to help us negotiate much. It’s rather obvious there is an arms race going on and we need to prepare for it in ways other than overcharging for tickets by 300%.

I agree with what you are posting, however I think UConn fans are either cheap or ignoring the need for private donations. As our former players in the NBA.need to step up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom